Stumbling Through

By LikkleBagel

"Being a teenager sucks, all you can really do is stumble through the years." School. Grades. Judgements. Bul... More

Day to Day
Nosy Friends
Challenge Accepted
Annoying Texts
The Reed Family
Scary Films
Meet The Mum
Strange Moods
Invites
Party (Like It's 2012)
Being Juvenile
Just A Few Minutes
When I Wake Up
Dancing Heart
Mission Derek
Family Dinner
'I Like You'
Horrible Food
Things in Common
The Mother
Intimidating Moments
The Worst Day (Part One)
The Worst Day (Part Two)
A Shared Warmth
Once Gone
Fixing Bridges
The Best of Friends
Tongue Tied
Epilogue

The Moment of Change

20.2K 770 101
By LikkleBagel

Chapter Two

Willow:

I frowned at the dumplings that were now stone cold from waiting, as I grouchily rubbed sleep from my eyes. Pulling out my phone from my pocket I checked the time. He should have been home hours ago.

All traces of dreariness left me as worry pooled in my stomach. He always called when he was going to be late.

Noticing an answer machine message on my mobile, I decided to ignore and try ringing my Uncle before checking it. Running my thumb over my contacts I pressed down on my Uncle’s name and hit ‘call’. It kept ringing through until I got to an answering machine telling me to leave a message.

Feeling my frown deepen I hung up.

Clicking onto my voicemails I heard the dial tone once more, before an electronic voice told me to press one to listen to the message. Angst and anticipation was making my jumpy, and my finger shake as I pressed the button.

“I’m Anne Weathers calling from Saint Margret’s Hospital…”

My mind went fuzzy as I listened to the rest of the message, not moving a muscle even when it ended with a loud beep and the robot voice was back asking me if there was anything else I would like to do.

The words slowly started to sink in a little bit.

Hospital. Car crash. Emergency contact.

My stomach churned heavily.

My Uncle.  Car crash. Hospital.

Suddenly my feet were flying into action. I quickly picked up everything I needed, including my phone keys and purse for a bus.

That was before I realised that I didn’t need a bus, because my Uncle had gotten me a car. That only made my stomach sink further. He had to be okay.

My hands shook as I fumbled to get the doors open and start the car, but once I had managed to get behind the wheel I made it to the hospital in law breaking timing.

Haphazardly parking my car into one of the several empty spaces I jumped out, barely remembering to lock the doors behind me.

I just need to see him, to make sure he was okay.

The automatic doors at the entrance of the hospital didn’t open nearly fast enough for my liking, and it ended up making an unnerving sound as I pushed it open further, faster. I simply ignored it heading straight to the front desk.

“What room is Charles Jamison in?” I asked. I didn’t even recognise my voice as it came out completely weak and frantic. I hadn’t even realised until now what a state I was in.

The nurse behind the desk gave me a warm look, but it did nothing to help me. I just needed to know he was okay.

“What room?” I asked when she didn’t give me an answer right off the bat.

“What relation are you to him?” She asked formerly.

“He’s my Uncle, and guardian.” I said, my fingers tapping shakily against the tabletop between us, impatiently.

Seeming to find that an acceptable answer she began to scroll casually on her computer screen. “He’s in room 203.” She said, calmly.

She didn’t give me any sympathetic looks. That was a good sign right? Not wanting to get my hopes up to have them crash down I pushed the though away, making me way as fast as I could, following the brief directions the lady at the desk had given me.

My heart was stammering in fear and worry. 203. 203. 203. I rushed down the corridors, not stopping for anyone until I reached the room.

Entering straight away it was surreal to see my Uncle on the hospital bed.

Sat up.

Joking around with the nurse.

I stopped in shock. As it finally sunk in I let out a long sigh of relief.

Both pairs of eyes snapped to me, as I stood frozen in the doorway. “Un-” I didn’t even get all the way through my sentence instead I ran into the room throwing myself in my uncle’s direction.

“Are you alright?” I asked, knowing that my eyes were bright with unshed tears. I gripped his face in both my hands, scanning over his injuries. There were minor cuts and bruises, but thankfully that was it.

“I’m fine sweet pea.” My Uncle answered, pushing my concern aside.

I scowled at him. “You gave me such a heart attack.” I accused. “What happened?”

He pulled a face. “Some idiot ran a red light.”

I felt a wave of anger at whoever it was who caused the accident, and caused me so much worry.

“Were there any worse injuries?” I asked. “Did any one…” I didn’t have to finish. My uncle shook his head.

“Everyone made it out okay. Even the pillock with the dodgy driving skills.” He said softly. I breathed out in relief once again, feeling my shoulder sag, finally free of stress.

“I’m glad you’re okay.” I told him gently leaning my head forwards, so that he wouldn’t see I was on the verge of bursting out into sobs. Something in my voice must have given me away though, because my Uncle ran his fingers gently in circles on my shoulder, which he only ever did when he was trying to cheer me up.

“I’m fine.” He reassured me.

I swallowed nodding my head. I quickly scrubbed the back of my sleeve over my eyes. Now that there was no worry it hit me hard that I had no idea what I’d do if my Uncle left me.

“I-I’m going to get me some coffee.” I said eventually, needing a few moments to compose myself without anyone watching me. “Do you need anything?”

My uncle shook his head, giving me a soft smile. “No thanks.” He grimaced. “There food is gross.”

I snorted loudly. “Gross?” I asked amused.

He wrinkled his nose. “Just … ew.” He concluded like a child would, making me laugh.

“Right.” I nodded my head, standing up. “I’ll see you in a minute.” I leant forwards and kissed him on the forehead, before straightening myself to leave. “Try not to hurt yourself whilst I’m gone.”

I said it jokingly, but it was a genuine worry. My Uncle couldn’t seem to go five minutes without gaining some sort of injury.

All I heard as I left the room was my Uncle laughing heartily.

I let out a deep breath as I let the door swing shut behind me. Finally all the worries and relief were hitting me all at once. It was nerve wrecking.

Running a shaky hand through my hair, I blew gently through pursed lips.

Counting slowly from ten in my head didn’t help much. I felt agitated Shaking me head, I walked through the corridors, ignoring the closest coffee machine in hopes of finding one further away.

I stopped at the next one, picking up one of the plastic cups, and put a cup sleeve around it, selecting the black coffee option. The dark liquid poured down from the dispenser, and I watched it dully, picking up packets of sugar to go with it.

The world needed a pause button. I was still feeling profoundly shaken up.

Picking up my finish coffee and dumping the heart attack inducing amount of sugar in it before it I felt a little calmer. Making coffee was so normal that it was setting my mind back into place.

Not watching where I was going, I headed back in the general direction of my Uncle’s room. Still in a daze I walked straight into a wall, causing the coffee to spill all over my top.

Because I’m just that smooth.

I yelped loudly, dropping the remains of what was left to the floor with my cup as I pulled the shirt away from my skin. “Mother fu-”

I was interrupted by a deep voice behind me. “Are you okay?”

My cheeks flamed as I realised that there had been a witness to my idiocy.

I turned to see a lanky guy who at least reached six foot, towering above me. His hair was a light chocolate colour, and there was a pair of thick-rimmed glasses covering his matching coloured eyes.

“Um…” I mumbled idiotically whilst he gave me a concerned look. He was shifting from foot to foot nervously, like I intimidated him.

And I’m not sure why I did it, probably because I was still in a shock state and my t-shirt was now a coffee covered mess, or maybe it was because the guy in front of me just didn’t look uncomfortable enough, but I burst into tears.

“HUH?!” He blanched out. “Why are you crying? Does the coffee hurt? Is it hot?” He asked flapping his hands around frantically, not sure what he was meant to be doing. “Okay idiotic question of course coffee is hot.” He mumbled running a hand through his hair.

I don’t know what it was about his freak out but it calmed me down a lot. Sniffing loudly, like a child, I rubbed my sleeve over my eyes to see mascara now staining my white shirt.

Brilliant. This day just keeps getting better.

I bet I looked like a right idiot.

Puffing out my cheeks I frowned. “I’m okay.” I said, trying to but this guy out of his misery.

He looked at me dubiously. “You really should change out of the top, before it gets worse.” He got out.

This time a small smile pushed up the edges of my lips. “Is that a really lame pick up line that I’ve never heard before?” I joked dumbly.

His jaw dropped open and he started to frantically shaking his head. “I’m wasn’t- I’m not trying to hit on you!” He yelled out loudly, blushing furiously when he realised how loud he was being.

This only made me laugh lightly. I shook my head at him. “Don’t worry I know you’re not hitting on me.” I said brushing some of my hair back. Who in their right mind would start flirting with a girl that had just made a brilliant first impression by a) spilling coffee all over herself, and b) crying hysterically for no reason?

“I would love to change my shirt but I don’t exactly have anything on me to change into.” I finished going back to the original conversation glaring at my mess of a top.

Still flushing the guy scratched the back of his neck. “You could use my jumped if you’d like.” He pointed to the chair he had been sitting on. “In a completely non creepy way.”

I snorted loudly. “That would be great if you really don’t mind.” I said knowing that I looked like an idiot.

He nodded his head grabbing it up and passing it to me. “There’s a girls toilet just around the corner and then to the left.” He pointed. I nodded my head deciding it was best not to tease him by asking if he knew that because he stalked girls there.

“Thanks.” I said instead taking the jacket from him. It was surprisingly heavy, which meant it would be warm.

Telling him that I would be back shortly I followed his directions to find he knew exactly what he was talking about. Pushing open the door it was completely deserted inside so I didn’t bother going into a stall, but instead got changed in front of the mirror.

I winced in horror when I saw how badly my makeup was now running. My hair was also in a complete state of chaos. “Fantastic.” I murmured pulling off my shirt, and pulling on the one belonging to the guy I had run into.

It was then I realised I didn’t even know his name.

But whoever he was smelt nice. I couldn’t help the thought as I pulled his jacket over my head I was assaulted by his scent.

He smells like cheap coffee and warmth.

I nuzzled into it. Yeah I had no right to tell him he was hitting on me when I was clearly the creepier of the two of us.

Pulling myself together, I started to fix up my makeup, when I realised it was a lost cause I just took all of it off and stuck my hair into a messy pony tail.

Real attractive. (Please note the sarcasm).

Knowing there was nothing else I could do, and comforted by the fact I didn’t look nearly as bad as before I left the bathroom with my shirt held firmly in my grip.

When I got back the guy I had met was wiping the coffee I had spilt off of the floor with several paper napkins. I wave of guilt hit me as I approached him.

“I can do that.” I said quietly, leaning over him as he crouched to the floor. He jumped in surprise almost knocking me down.

“Oh-Umm. No that’s alright.” He stuttered shaking his head. “I’m done now anyway.” He held up the last bundle of brown coloured tissue as proof, before he threw it in the bin.

“Thanks.” I said, sighing. “I’m Willow by the way.” I introduced myself with a small smile.

“I know.” My smile fell a little bit. That wasn’t the response I was expecting. His eyes widened and he shook his head. “I’m not being creepy or anything. We go to the same school!” He blurted.

“Oh.” I said dumbly. I winced in embarrassment. “We do?” I asked feeling guilty for not knowing that.

“Yeah.” He said simply causing an awkward silence. After a moment he shook his head as if remembering something. “I’m Derek.” He stuck out his hand and I stared at it blankly.

A handshake?

My lips twitched in amusement, and I looked back up at his blushing face. He was just about to drop it when I caught it quickly in my own. “Nice to meet you Derek.” I said pumping his hand enthusiastically.

 He looked mortified, when he realised how out-dated the handshake was.

But that only made my smile widen. “So what year are you in?” I asked dropping his hand. “Um. The same as you.” He replied.

“Oh.” I said, feeling awkward once more.

Go one Willow; just stick your foot further into your mouth!

“I don’t mind that you haven’t noticed me before.” He smiled. I smiled back sheepishly. “I’m not popular or anything.” He finished with a shrug.

I let out a small nervous chuckle. “That brings me around to a kind of awkward request.” I admitted. He looked at me curiously. “Do you mind not mentioning to anyone that whole crying thing…”

Understanding crossed his face. “Of course!” He said nodding his head. “I wouldn’t tell anyone any way.” He said seriously.

I smiled at him. “Thanks. Some people just…well they stick their noses in other peoples business, and I just really don’t-”

He cut me off. “I know what you mean.” He said with a shrug. “Well actually I don’t because people don’t really gossip about me…” He started to ramble. “But I think I know what you mean.”

I laughed loudly pulling him to a stop. “You’re funny.” I said with a grin, already feeling a lot better. “I’m glad you go my school.” I told him knocking his shoulder with mine.

He blushed, and smiled. “Really?” He asked surprised.

I laughed nodding. “Yeah. I was wondering how I was going to return your jacket to you.” I pulled at the shirt he had leant me.

He cocked his head as if only just remembering about it. “Oh yeah.”

“Plus your fun to tease.” I said poking his stomach, making him back away with a blush. I felt my smile grow. “I better be going, but I’ll see you around school.” I told him with a short wave.

He nodded his head in silent agreement.

“Oh and thanks.” I said turning back to him. “For not saying anything and the shirt.” I finished.

He just smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Turning away for the last time I stuffed my hands in his pockets before walking back to my Uncle, feeling oddly excited about the next time I would see Derek again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 33.8K 66
➸featured on the What's Hot list ➸winner of The Most Addictive Story in The Writers Awards 2017 ┈ ❝ i'm going to woo you; piece by piece, w...
2.1M 83K 44
"They were elements that were not supposed to mix,but they were. And just like mixing hydrogen peroxide with Sulfuric Acid; Inevitable explosion." *...
823K 52.6K 50
Tuesday lives with her aunt after the death of her mother in a car accident following remission from cancer. Angry at the world, she rebels against h...
218K 17.1K 44
Jordan Johnson is your average high school student. He is average in every way from his brown hair and brown eyes to his very mundane existence. His...