The Fugitive Grandma

Av DmitriRagano

Johnny Valentine is a lonely boy who dreams of becoming a hero, just like the masked avengers in his comic bo... Mer

Chapter 1 - Highway Robbery
Chapter 2 - The Birthday Party
Chapter 3 - The Family
Chapter 5 - The Miracle Cure
Chapter 6 - Durable Power
Chapter 7 - Tuscan Paradise
Chapter 8 - The Unincorporated Zone
Chapter 9 - Winners and Losers
Chapter 10 - The Shopping List
Chapter 11 - Great American Superstore
Chapter 12 - The Secret Strategy
Chapter 13 - The Fight
Chapter 14 - Respecting Wishes
Chapter 15 - Bruised
Chapter 16 - Grand Opening
Chapter 17 - The Letter in the Mail
Chapter 18 - Persecutory Delusions
Chapter 20 - Back on the Job
Chapter 21 - Permanent Life Change
Chapter 22 - Slow Boil
Chapter 23 - Free Samples
Chapter 24 - Changing Titles
Chapter 25 - The Hard Sell
Chapter 26 - Shady Palms
Chapter 27 - Changing the Menu
Chapter 28 - Bingo Night
Chapter 29 - The Squeaky Wheel
Chapter 30 - The Midnight Intruder
Chapter 31 - Johnny's Proposal
Chapter 32 - The Back Office
Chapter 33 - Through the Looking Glass
Chapter 34 - A Curious Case
Chapter 35 - Recovery Room
Chapter 36 - Stealing from Thieves
Chapter 37 - Best Interests
Chapter 38 - Good Medicine
Chapter 39 - Giving Back
Chapter 40 - Out of Retirement
Chapter 41 - Stakeout
Chapter 42 - The Heist
Chapter 43 - The Circle of Influence
Chapter 44 - The Greatest Threat
Chapter 45 - Block Party
Chapter 46 - Public Exposure
Chapter 47 - The Message
Chapter 48 - School Shock
Chapter 49 - Hideaway Cove
Chapter 50 - The Open Road
Chapter 51 -The Wrong Chase
Chapter 52 - Family Matters
Chapter 53 -The Con Job
Chapter 54 - Backup Files
Chapter 55 - Postcards from the Edge
Chapter 56 - In the Shadows
Chapter 57 - Extracurricular Activities
Chapter 58 - Churchside Confession
Chapter 59 - Death in the Living Room
Chapter 60 - Hail Mary
Chapter 61 - Reaching a Verdict
Chapter 62 - The Masters
Chapter 63 - Waking Up from a Coma
Chapter 64 - Buried Treasure
About the Author

Chapter 4 - The Passing Lane

20.9K 497 22
Av DmitriRagano

When Frank finished his business deal, he returned to Grandma Stella’s house to take his son home once the birthday party was over. The father and son lived together in a two-story condo, part of a new gated community in the western side of Santa Ramona.

Frank and Johnny shared the same Italian-American looks, inherited from ancestors and a land they knew nothing about. But their personalities gave their appearance different effects. Frank’s handsome face conveyed a slick congeniality, while Johnny’s younger version of the same face suggested a shy vulnerability.

On the ride home, Johnny stared out the window.

“Look, I know you’re mad I didn’t come to the party,” Frank said.

Johnny didn’t say a word.

Monday morning, the day after his birthday, Frank and Johnny were back in the car again. It was only four exits on the Route 91 Freeway from the condo to Santa Ramona Middle School. Not a great distance, but Frank was determinedly weaving between different lanes.

“You always got to keep your eye out for a passing lane, Johnny. Never lose a chance to get ahead. The freeway’s always going to be crowded, so you got to look for an opening and take it. Otherwise, you just get stuck and everything will pass you by.”

After he dropped his son off at school, Frank picked up his mother, Stella, to drive her to a recurring doctor’s appointment.

Frank always had his eye on the passing lane.

Ever since he was a child, Frank had yearned for something better. After the loss of his father, his modest upbringing on his mother’s salary as a grocery clerk provided love and the essentials, but in his mind there was always something lacking. He knew there was a bigger, more exciting life out there, and he was missing out on it.

As an adult, Frank chased success through the many incarnations of his business career, as restaurant entrepreneur, car dealer, insurance salesman, and stockbroker. None of these endeavors had brought riches or satisfaction.

When Johnny’s mother left him to marry her wealthy boss, Frank made some reckless real estate investments in another failed attempt to hit the big time.

“You never should’ve bought all those homes, Frank,” Stella lamented, as they got back on the freeway and headed toward the medical center.

“Relax, Mom. It’s going to all work out.”

Frank knew if he’d listened to his mother earlier, he wouldn’t be in his current jam. He certainly wasn’t about to admit that to her.

“I don’t see why you have to aim for so much, Frank. I never made the big bucks working at a supermarket. But I have a home. I have my son, my grandson, and my friends. Isn’t that enough?”

Frank shook his head. No, he thought, that isn’t enough. Once again, something she would never understand.

“Mom, you’ve always had your opinions. I know you like to tell me how to live my life, but there’s one thing you’ve got to remember. You had your time. Now it’s my time.”

“My time isn’t over,” Stella fired back. “I have experience, instincts, and advice that you need to hear.”

“It’s a different world now, Mom. The old rules don’t apply.”

 www.dmitriragano.com

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

177K 2.8K 9
❝ fate. a word meaning destiny. fate. a word meaning doom. ❞ [ a f4 thailand fanfic ] [ thyme paramaa x fem!oc ] [ currently being rewritten ] © 𝐬𝐭...
46.3K 1.4K 80
"𝐻𝑎𝑛𝑠𝑒𝑜𝑘𝑎𝑎,𝑎 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑙𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑝𝑠𝑦𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑝𝑎𝑡ℎ 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜𝑒𝑠𝑛'𝑡 𝑑𝑒𝑠𝑒𝑟𝑣𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑜𝑛�...
168K 8.3K 41
After going through a number of disasters I realized that actually I am reborn as the villainess character, more of a brat, Chloe Bourgeois, in a chi...
2.1M 87.9K 93
•UNDER EDITING• Abhimanyu Chowdhary-A mysterious 28 years old man. CEO of Chowdary group of companies. He has looks that every girl craves and go cra...