A Dirty Bar, A Dirty Life.

By Broadway--Babe

(Rated M for Child Abuse, Molestation, and Sexual Themes.) A simple question leads to a not-so-simple relatio... More

1. A Little Mousehole.
2. A Date.
3. A Start
4. A Lead.
5. Something Amiss.
6. A Mousetrap.
7. The Prep, and Trial Part 1.
9. The Trial Part 2.
10. A Hospital Visit.
11. A Dinner Celebration.
UPDATE

8. A Lovely View.

2.3K 54 22
By Broadway--Babe

On the way back to Rafael's apartment, Rafael seemed... Suspicious. Of course, he was holding Cadence's hand, telling her how great she had done at the first part of the trial, but he was glued to his phone. They got to his apartment, Rafael holding the door open for Cadence as she stepped out.

"Hey... Are you okay?" Cadence asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Rafael smiled and left a kiss on her forehead. Cadence felt a small vibration coming from her purse, taking it out and reading the notification from Olivia.

'U need a pick-me-up. We r going 2 go shopping. I'll b @ ur place in 5.'

"It's Liv. She wants to take me shopping." Cadence looked at Rafael, quirking a brow.

"What are you looking at me like that for? Go ahead, have fun. Pick out something nice, okay?" He grabbed her hand, kissing her knuckles as Olivia's cab pulled up. Cadence waved bye as she stepped inside the cab.

Rafael breathed a sigh of relief, pulling out his phone and dialing Fin.

"You guys on the roof already?"

"Yeah, bro. We got the lights set up already. We still need some help with decorations and the table."

"Right. See you and Nick up there in 3."

...

Cadence looked out the window, furrowing as she realized they were in the upper-east side of New York's shopping district.

"L-Liv? Are we in the right place?" Cadence looked to Olivia, who had a smile on her face.

"Yep! And don't worry about the price. Rafael has you covered."

Cadence's eyes widened. "I-I can't, I don't want him to spend his money on--"

"On someone he cares deeply about? Besides. CSU checked your drawers. Your clothes were all torn to shreds anyway." The cab stopped, Cadence stepping out and gasping. Large silver lettering on the building told her that she was about to enter Bloomingdales.

"Bloomingdales? This is one of the most expensive stores in New York!"

Olivia stood behind her, smirking. "That's why Rafael wanted us to stop here first, specifically."

Olivia hooked her arm into Cadence's, walking through the expensive department store, right to the women's clothing section.

"What sizes are you, sweetie?" Asked a sales associate.

"XL in shirts, 16 in pants, 16 in dresses."

Olivia whispered something to the sales associate, who then changed to a wide, perky smile.

"It seems as though we already have some style directions for you, Ms. Hampton. We have a few things put aside for you to look at, under Mr. Barba's instructions."

Cadence looked at Olivia strangely as she was escorted to a dressing room.

Olivia made a quick call.

"We're here, Rafael. She seems a little weirded out by this whole thing."

Rafael, on the other side of the call, sighed. "It'll be alright. Tell her that while I did have some style suggestions, that she has full control over what she wears."

"I will."

"Hey Liv?"

"Yeah?"

"...I owe you. I want to thank you for helping me put this together for Cadence. She has been so worried about the trial, I figured she nee--"

"It's okay, Rafael. Anyway. Get back to setting that up." Olivia hung up just before Cadence walked over to Olivia, her hands on her hips. She was dressed in what appeared to be a leather pantsuit. She was staring daggers at Liv, who tried suppressing a giggle.

"... I am going to kill Rafael, I swear."

...

Back at the apartment, Rafael, Nick, and Fin were all hard at work, making sure everything was in place for later that night. Rafael had called in favors from a few of his friends; The landlord, for letting him use the roof. His other ADA friend for doing all of his paperwork that Rafael was supposed to do tonight. And of course, Fin and Nick for helping him set the whole thing up.

They had laid down a small carpet onto the concrete of the roof, a table and chairs rested on it. Fin had set up little strings of electronic lanterns, strung from chimney to chimney around the area. They had finished ahead of schedule, Rafael treating the three of them to some scotch as they admired the view.

Rafael sat in a chair across from Fin, Nick sitting on the table as they drank in silence.

It was Fin who finally broke the silence.

"So. You really dig this girl, huh?"

Rafael took another swig of his scotch.

"Yeah."

Nick turned towards Rafael. "You two have known eachother less than a month, though."

"...yeah." Rafael sighed, downing the rest of his glass. "I just.. I don't know. When I met her at the bar that first time, I thought she was... Perfect. Funny, smart, sexy, quick-witted.."

Fin laughed. "She'll certainly need quick wit if she's dating you, counselor."

Rafael chuckled, shaking his head. "Why must you hurt me so?" He leaned back in his chair slightly. "... When Cadence had been taken, I thought that my... That my world was ending. I was so determined to see her alive... I didn't care who I had to get through."

Nick nodded, setting his empty glass down. "When Maria left for the army, I was terrified. I thought I would never see her again. And that was after 8 years of marriage. If you're feeling like that about Cadence after only knowing her for about a month... Then something is certainly right."

Fin cleared his throat, pursing his lips. "Once... My dog ran away from home." The three joked and laughed for a few more hours, till Rafael received a text from Olivia.

'On our way.'

"Alright. Party is over. You guys gotta go. Nick," Rafael looked towards him, standing and straightening out his tie. "You are sure you set up the petals and the notes?"

Nick nodded. "You look good, Rafi. You should stop primping." Rafael glared slightly, but thanked the two for helping.

'Dropped her off. Have fun u 2.' Rafael smiled, shaking his head as he put his phone on silent.

...

Cadence walked up the few flights of stairs to Rafael's apartment, confused as she saw something taped to the door. She got a closer look, removing the note.

'Dress nicely, then come up to the roof. I can't wait to see you. Xoxo, Rafi."

Cadence chuckled, shaking her head as she entered the apartment. She walked to the bedroom, setting the bags down, and removing her clothes. She slipped into a vintage looking red dress, brushing out her short hair. She had cut it the day after she got back, figuring that her longer hair reminded her about her kidnapping. Applying minimal makeup, and fitting her feet into a pair of black loubotin heels, she headed out the door.

Looking down, she found a trail of rose petals, and followed them to the elevator.

Another note was left on the button in the hallway.

"See you in a few. Desearia que estuvieras aqui conmigo."

She'd have to ask him about the Spanish later, but Cadence smiled as she removed the note from the button. She pressed it, the doors opening immediately. She checked the time.

7:30. Sunset was soon. Rafael was quite the planner.

The elevator dinged, opening the doors to the flight of stairs that took you to the roof. Another note was waiting on the railing.

"me gustaría subir mil escaleras para estar con usted."

Cadence practically ran up the stairs, or as much as you could run in heels, opening the door to the roof. The sun had just began to set as she stepped onto concrete. She followed the petal trail around the door to the stairwell, gasping at what Rafael had set up.

Rafael stood from leaning on the table, smiling. Cadence could smell something savory, and heard soft music playing.

"Rafi... This is..." Cadence moved over to the table as a chair was pulled out for her. She sat, smiling up at him. "This is amazing." Rafael walked behind her, pressing a kiss to the back of her head. He returned, placing a plate of pasta in front of her. He sat across from her, smiling as he took her hand from across the table.

"You have been dealing with so much lately. You needed a big break." Rafael rubbed his thumb over her knuckles, smiling softly. "Usted es la mujer más bella del mundo. You are the most beautiful woman in the world."

Cadence looked down at her pasta, smiling. "Pasta with vodka sauce." Cadence looked up, seeing Rafael's smirk. "The vodka was probably the best part about cooking." Cadence laughed, shaking her head slightly.

"Rafi... You're amazing." Rafael looked at her lovingly, blushing softly as they began to dig into their meal. Rafael poured them a nice red wine, making Rafael a little loose and flirty.

"My goodness, Rafi. Vodka sauce, Red wine... If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to get me drunk." She and Rafael laughed, Rafael shaking his head.

"I am not getting you drunk. If anything, I'm getting myself drunk. I have been told I'm more enjoyable that way."

Cadence rolled her eyes, smiling. "Only because you're a tight ass when you're at work."

"Ah, I suppose. I'm not always a tight-ass though." Rafael stood, clearing the table after they had finished eating. Rafael turned Cadence's chair to face him, holding out a hand for her.

"Dance with me. Please." Cadence shyly took his hand, Rafael moving over to the stereo and turning the music up slightly. Cadence knew she had heard the song before, but just couldn't place it.

"Mr Sandman. The Chordettes. The song that played when we first met. "

Rafael twirled and lead her around the floor, the melody guiding their footsteps.

Mr Sandman, someone to hold
Would be so peachy before we're too old
So please turn on your magic beam
Mr Sandman, bring us, please, please, please
Mr Sandman, bring us a dream

The song faded, Rafael and Cadence dancing to a few more songs before sitting down onto the table. The sun had already set by the time they finished, a slight breeze passing over the two lovers. Rafael gave up his suit jacket as Cadence shivered, placing it over her shoulders.

They laughed and joked about nothing in particular for a little, until the stars came out. Cadence gently leant her head on his shoulder, looking at the moon and the stars. "Do you... Do you think I will ever be the same again?" Rafael looked at her slightly, before looking up at the sky.

"I don't know. But... I promise that I will be there to help you every step of the way." He placed his arm over her shoulder, kissing the top of her head. Cadence looked up at Rafael, before looking at the sky.

"My mother, when I was young, used to tell me this story about the stars and the moon. She told me that the earth and the moon used to be lovers."

Rafael smiled slightly, looking down at Cadence, who continued the story.

"One day, The Sun had found out about Earth and Moon, and tore them apart. Every night, the Moon and the Earth see eachother, but cannot touch for fear of the sun finding out. The Moon had told the Earth that she would paint the prettiest picture with the stars for the Earth, showing him how much she loved him. She still hasn't finished her painting, according to my mother."

Cadence looked up at Rafael, who was engrossed in the stars. She gently grabbed his tie, tugging it slightly. He looked down, blushing slightly. Cadence pulled him towards her, their lips meeting softly.

After a few moments, they pulled away. Rafael smiled softly, cupping her jaw and stroking her cheek with his thumb.

"I love you," he said quietly.

Cadence smiled back, leaning into his hand.

"I love you too."

(A/n: 1983 words, not counting the Author's note! I think this is my longest chapter yet! It was super fluffy, and I had a lot of fun writing it. Trial part 2 is coming soon, and I have the entire thing mapped out. Boy, ya'll are gonna be angry at me soon... Enjoy the fluff while it lasts. >;) )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38K 1K 18
Hattie Stevens has been working as a victim advocate with Manhattan SVU for two years, denying her feelings for a certain ADA for nearly as long. Whe...
11.1K 362 20
This will cross between all three shows: Criminal Minds, Lie To Me, and Law and Order SVU. Rafael Barba/Original Female Character Spencer Reid/Origi...
1.3K 62 6
๐—–๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜๐˜๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—–๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐˜€๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ธ๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜„๐—ป ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—ด๐—ต๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—˜๐—น๐—น๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜ ๐˜€๐˜...
3.4K 136 8
Completed. Rafael Barba/Original Female Character Maggie Malone runs into Rafael Barba after fifteen years. Note: This is part two of the Full Circl...