Dark Moon Rising

By MichelleDekker

When the Dark Moon Rises for the second time. Gemini will be turned. One dark, One light. Together forever... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71

Chapter 8

17 2 0
By MichelleDekker

Click! The door closed. Clapping her hands twice. Darkness surrounded her in an instant. Every now and then, a sigh escaped. What am I going to do? She wondered, her mind numb. The ocean lulled her senses with each wave crashing onto the beach below. If I stay, he will never let me out of his sight again. If I go... Will they let me leave? Why are they so over protective? We are not royalty. What are they protecting us from? And more importantly, who?

Rubbing her face, she shifted to release the pressure in the soles of her feet. These questions are going to drive me insane. I have to know the answer. I need to find that piece of paper. And what are you going to do when you find it? Her mental-self asked. Shrugging. I will figure it out when I get there. Oh really? Her mental-self taunted. Like today? Oh, shut up! She snapped. I would rather die than be a prisoner in my own home.

Squaring her shoulders, she turned. Headed for one of the pedestals next to her bed and retrieved a small flashlight. Are you really going to do this? Her mental-self asked, concerned. Yes. Have you thought this through? Nope. I think you should take a pill and go to bed. Cannot do.

Removing her shoes, she clothed herself in black. Pinned her hair up and put a black wool cap on. "Ready or not, here I go." She whispered.

Tiptoeing on the carpet, she headed for the door. As softly as she could, she opened it. Sticking her head out, she looked up and down the corridor. Empty. Silent like a graveyard. Boom-boom-boom, her heart beat a million miles a second. Swallowing hard, she cringed at the sound. Please don't hear that.

Slipping out. She closed the door. Waited. Listened. Waited. Nothing. Taking a deep breath, she continued on the balls of her feet. Balancing each step to reduce any possible noise.

With each step, she took her nerves frayed a little more to breaking point. Clouds covered the moon. The light, which entered from above, covered everything in grey and black shadows. Damn! How am I going to do this? You know the house. Her mental-self said. By day and with lights on. So? Hallo, it is dark! Oh, stop whining and get on with it. Fine!

Taking a deep breath, she continued. An eerie silence settled around her. Its damp, cold fingers biting into flesh. Shivering as eeriness cloaked her every step. Air brushed her skin. Jerking to a halt. Did something just move in the shadows? Her eyes darted about like a jumping jack. Don't scream, she reminded herself. Looking at each item intently, her gaze settled on something in the corner. Did father add a statue?

If you don't move, your father will turn you into a statue. Her mental-self warned. Right. She agreed and hurried down the stairs. Who-whoo! An owl hooted just as she reached the bottom. Clamping a hand over her mouth just in time to muffle a scream. SOMEBODY IS GOING TO DIE. The thought slammed into her. I am not superstitious, she reminded herself. I just have to be careful. Reluctantly, she turned to her right. Mental images of vampires, werewolves and every sort of horror movie creatures jumped at her.

Shaking her head, the intimidating images cleared. You're not ten anymore. There is no such thing as monsters. Heading down another corridor, she finally reached her destination. Phew. So far, so good. Opening the heavy door, she slid inside. Closed it. Leaned against the wood, taking a few seconds to catch her breath. Letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. Her heart galloped like a racehorse that had just run a race. Taking a deep breath, she held it and then blew it out. This managed to slow her heart rate to normal. Her head turned in the direction of the safe, which were located, just a couple of feet from where she was standing.

Smiling to herself. Poor father can't hide anything from me. Then frowned. Except that blasted thing called the Dark Moon. Proceeding forward. Her muffled steps sounded loud. The door opened. Freezing in place, she looked slowly over her shoulder. It closed. What the fuck? Who just entered? The hairs on her arms and back of her neck stood on end. A door can't just open and close by itself. Rubbing them down. Don't panic. Remember what is at stake. Her mental-self reminded her.

Scanning her surroundings. Everything looks OK. She observed. Cautious, she started to retreat in another direction. Stopping. Shuddering, her yes darted nervously about the room. Am I being watched? Licking her parched lips. Blast the darkness, she thought. Her eye caught a blur of movement from the side. Air brushed her skin for the second time. A scream formed in her throat. I am leaving. Heading in the direction of the door.

Muffled voices in the passage stopped her. Turning, she bumped into something hard. Did father add another statue? Is this a new craze? Her hands explored upwards. "Shit!" She whispered when she touched a man's face. Fear clutched her heart. Instinctively she backed away. He reached for her. Opening her mouth to scream. A gloved hand clamped over it. He pulled her against him. Wriggling like a worm, she struggled in vain against his iron embrace.

"Shhh," he cautioned, "if you want to live."

Ice filled her veins. Movement was impossible; bands of steel wrapped tighter around her with every attempt to free herself. The voices came closer, her muscles tensed to the point they were going to shatter.

"Relax," he ordered, "they will hear you."

Frowning, she breathed heavily through her nose. Tried to open her mouth again, but he kept his hand firmly in place. With each passing second the voices grew louder as they kept moving in their direction. Her heart skipped three beats as he tightened his grip. His chest didn't rise or fall. Is he even breathing? Dizziness enveloped her. Moister formed at her temples as she recalled her father's anger from earlier in the day. The idea of him catching her red-handed in his study with a stranger terrified her. It seemed the voices were right outside now. The knob turned. Beads of sweat ran down the sides of her face, soaking her shirt.

"Hey, Erik," one guard called, "Shaun is looking for you."

The doorknob turned back and the voices moved on. Internally sighing, she almost collapsed. They waited a couple of minutes before the stranger relaxed his grip.

"Come," he commanded in a whisper. "Not a word until I give the OK." He warned and pulled her with him. Ducking his head out, he made a quick survey before hauling her after him. Unable to struggle against his iron grip she resisted with every step. He moved at such a fast pace, making it difficult to keep up. Before she had time to realize where they were, they entered her room and he shoved her to the centre.

"You are a real piece of work," he said, annoyed, when they faced each other.

Alex took a good look at him. He was dressed in black from head to toe and he wore a mask.

Pointing a finger at his chest. "How did you get in?" She managed to ask when she recovered enough from her initial shock.

"That is for me to know and for you to find out."

Her eyes narrowed into slits, "Who are you and what do you want?" She demanded.

"Who I am is not important. What I want is another matter." He continued in a calm tone.

"I will raise the alarm."

"Let's just say I am a friend," he said and put a bit of distance between them.

"Not good enough." Crossing her arms, she opened her mouth.

"Are you looking for an immortal sentence?"

"Look who's talking," she taunted, with feigned bravado.

He sighed. "What were you doing in your father's study?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

He advanced towards her. Grabbed her shoulders and shook lightly. "You are in no position to question me!" He snapped.

Glaring at him, she pressed her lips together when his dark, brooding eyes scrutinized her. Pulling against his grip, he released his hold. Stumbling back, she went to stand in front of the glass-panelled doors.

"You're a stranger. Why should I trust you?"

"Do you have a choice?"

She thought about it. "Do I have any choice at all in this house?" Sighing, she stared through the window. Tired, she rubbed her eyes. "It's ruining my life."

"What is?"

"This Dark Moon stuff... it's driving me crazy," she confessed.

Within seconds, the masked figure stood next to her. Alex jumped, yelped, placed her hand over her heart, and gasped.

"Sorry," he apologized.

"How... did you... do that?"

"It's not important."

"Ugh! I am always left in the dark. If someone will just explain what is going on, maybe I would not be so impossible to live with."

"Do you believe that?

"Yes, I do," she said with conviction.

Turning her head, she looked straight at him. Something about him seemed familiar, but she could not put her finger on it.

"What do you want to know?"

"What's the catch?"

"No catch," he assured her.

Eyeing him. "Can you do something for me?"

"What?" he asked wary.

"Remove your mask?"

"Why?"

"I want to know who I'm talking to."

"What difference would it make if you know who I am?" Before she could continue, he interrupted. "It is better if you can't recognize me."

"I don't see why."

"Your safety might be at risk."

"If I can't ask you this then what, may I ask?"

"How about the Dark Moon rising," he suggested.

Tapping her foot, she crossed her arms, flinching when the tender flesh stretched. "Ok," she agreed reluctant. "What is it?" He didn't answer immediately. "Well?"

"Patience is not one of your virtues, is it?"

"Enough with the games, tell me?"

"It's a riddle," he replied.

"Riddle?" Frowning. "What kind?"

"An ancient one, written almost 1000 years ago, in a time of Great War."

"What was the war about?"

"Are you going to let me finish?" he asked, annoyed.

"Sorry, please continue."

"The war was between twins, Roan and Raven. Raven believed in slavery and Roan in freedom. The brothers didn't see eye to eye. Raven challenged his brother. The one who won would choose the fate of mankind. During this time, a riddle was written and torn into six pieces. Roan entrusted each piece to a loyal subject which was hidden for nearly a century until 20 years ago when the riddle pieces and their keepers started to disappear mysteriously."

"You mean to tell me that the piece of ancient paper my father guards with his life is a piece of a riddle?"

He nodded. "It is also a prophecy and in a couple of months, the first part will be fulfilled."

Chewing her lower lip, she asked, "What does it say?"

He hesitated. "I don't know if I should tell you."

"You promised," she reminded him.

"I did, didn't I?" She nodded and he started reciting. "When the Dark Moon rises for the second time, Gemini will be turned; one dark, one light, together forever."

"Wait a minute," she said, "have you even seen it?"

"No." He lied.

"How do you know it so well?"

"My father made me memorize the first verse."

"I see. Give me a day or two to mull over it and I will be able to shed some light." she said confidently.

"It doesn't take just a day or two! It has taken nearly a millennium and still no one knows the exact meaning. Besides, there are five other missing pieces."

"Do you doubt my abilities?"

"It's not about..."

"What then?" Looking at him, "I will somehow find out what it means."

"Don't you think that it would be better if you left it alone?"

"Nope, I have to know the answer." Checking her watch. Almost midnight. "You must go before the guards make their rounds and catch you here."

He opened the glass-panelled door. "Two days."

"I will be waiting."

She blinked. He was gone.

Diane came through the door. "Aren't you sleeping yet?"

"Geez!" Alex shouted as she nearly jumped out of her skin. "You will give me a heart attack."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Diane looked at her. "You must get some sleep."

"I'm not tired," she argued.

"You look tired." Ignoring her. "Should I draw you a bath?"

"No, I don't feel like one."

"Come, it will relax and help you sleep better."

Sadness filled her. "I don't think anything will make me feel better."

Diane walked over wrapping her arms around Alex. "Every dark cloud has a silver lining."

Shaking her head. "After today, nothing will ever be the same again."

"Hey, where is the fire?" she asked.

"You didn't see his face." Her voice broke and she wiped at her eyes.

Diane took her hand. Pulled her towards the bathroom. "Enough of this gloominess," she scolded and made her sit on the edge of the sunken bath. Opening both taps, she lit tea candles and added lavender bubble bath. Bubbles formed and rose with the level of the water. Steam filled the air with the calming scent of lavender.

"This should calm your nerves," she told her.

Alex did not answer. Took a butterfly clip and pinned her hair up. Shed her clothes, slipped into warm scented water and laid back. The heat started to relax her muscles and a sighed escaped.

"I'll see you later," Diane said, satisfied, and left before she could start to fish for answers.

Music began to drift through the room. In a couple of hours, she'd have to face her father. Groaning. I'd rather run before I have toface him again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1M 374K 73
[book one] The game was simple: A contest comprised of three unique challenges, designed to test a human's strength physically and mentally, their pe...
72.2K 2.1K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
2.4K 173 52
This is book two of the series. The Fate of The Luna is the first book. This is not a stand alone book. You will need to read book one. The same warn...
733 631 40
This story tells the life of a Viking warrior. His name is Orsmund and everything changes on a sea voyage. After being attacked by a demonic creature...