Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
5. Dead and Gone
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
17. Sorted
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
27. See Me After Class
28. The Mirror of Erised
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
34. Fluffy's Secret
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
66. There's Something Out There
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

53. Petrified

7.1K 241 58
By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina went out the back way from the Great Hall, hurrying as fast as she could, Severus on her heels. They were going to see Albus Dumbledore.

"Are you sure we need to inform Dumbledore of this?" Alaina asked him as they walked hastily.

"Positive," Severus answered. "He will want to know. Trust me."

She pressed her lips together as the two of them fell into silence. They didn't speak another word until they were at Dumbledore's office door.

"I'm going to let you tell him, Alaina," Severus said quickly. "I asked Harry to meet me in my office and I have no doubt he's waiting there now. Please let me know what he says."

She frowned. "Of course, but why did you want him in your office in the first place?"

He took a deep breath. "I have a feeling that he is not as 'alright' as he lets on. I want to make sure before I send him back to his dormitory. I'll admit it wasn't wise sending him by himself though." He frowned. "My apologies for that mistake."

Alaina smiled. "I'm sure he's fine. Go. I'll talk to Dumbledore."

Severus nodded and gave her a quick hug before he bolted down the stairs. Alaina looked at he heavy wooden door in front of her. She dreaded this. She knocked loudly.

"Enter," Dumbledore said. He was sitting at his desk when she walked inside. "Ah, Alaina. So good to see you." He frowned. "But I sense that something is wrong."

She glowered at him. How did he know? Somehow, he always managed to know. "There is nothing wrong, per say. It's just that something happened in the dueling club just now."

He stood. "Heavens, is everyone alright? I knew it was a mistake to let Lockhart talk me into such a thing."

"No, Albus. I'm sure it will be great once it gets started pretty well. It's just that Harry did something he didn't know he could do, that no one knew he could do. Severus said that you would want to know and I need to understand why."

Dumbledore walked over to where she was standing. "And what exactly happened?"

She sighed. "Well, he spoke a different language. He talked to a snake."

His eyes widened in alarm. "And did the snake react?"

"Yes. It seemed like the snake was listening to him. Is that normal?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm afraid not." He sighed wearily. "I was afraid of this."

"Afraid of what?"

He paused for a moment, trying to find the right words. "The night the curse hit Harry, I think Voldemort passed some of his abilities to your son. It wasn't intentional, but it happened. That would be the only explanation. You see, Voldemort himself could speak to snakes too."

Alaina gulped. "So what exacty am I to tell him?"

Dumbledore frowned, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Just 'mother' him. You don't have to tell him the truth. Not yet."

She nodded.

"Thank you for telling me. Severus was right. I did want to know."

"You're welcome."

Alaina nodded to him and then turned to leave. There was so much more she felt he wasn't saying, but she didn't press it. Now she was going to go down to Severus's office and report to him and try to comfort her son.

~ * ~

Harry was pacing back and forth impatiently when Severus walked into his office. The boy's head lifted the moment his teacher entered.

"Have a seat, Potter," Severus instructed.

Obidiently, Harry walked over to the chair perched in front of his professor's desk and sat down. The way he was acting, shy and quiet, Severus had no doubt that Harry thought he was in trouble. That suspicion was confirmed only seconds later.

"Have I done something wrong, sir?" Harry asked softly.

Severus walked over to him and stooped until his eyes were level with Harry's. He had noticed Alaina approach him this way before and it always seemed to comfort him a little. "You have done nothing wrong, Harry. The only reason I brought you down here was to make sure you were really alright. Your mother will be down here in a few minutes to see you."

Relief flooded Harry's expression. He had thought for sure that he was in trouble for what happened in the dueling club. "Good. I need to talk to her. Somehow she always knows what to say to make me feel better."

Severus smiled. "I know what you mean."

Harry frowned. "Sir, I was wondering if- Well-" He sighed. He just didn't know exactly how to put it. His eyes glistened with tears. "I just don't understand this."

Severus stared at him blankly. It was clear Harry was upset because the tears in his eyes started to fall. Severus was silently panicking. He wasn't good with tears, so he did the very first thing that came to his mind.

"Harry, I don't do this often and it's not really something you should come to expect from me." He opened his arms wide. "But I can tell that you really need some support right now and this is the best way I can think of to console you."

Tears streamed down Harry's face. He was sort of shocked at the man before him. He didn't know what to do. Should he lean forward or let Severus come to him? Deciding quickly, he leaned forward and wrapped his arms around Severus before he changed his mind and pulled away. Severus squeezed him tightly. Harry was so relieved that he hugged him that it produced more tears. He had to get it out. He blushed, extremely embarrassed by his display of emotions. Severus held him there. He had to let him get it out.

"Well, isn't this sweet to behold?" a voice said from behind them.

The sudden presence in the room caused them both to jump. Severus let Harry go and his eyes wandered to the door. Alaina was leaning up against the door frame, a smile on her face.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Professor Snape was comforting me," Harry responded.

Alaina walked inside and shut the door behind her. "He was?" She glanced at Severus gratefully and then back at her son. She could tell that he had been crying. His eyes were red. "That's really great. I'm glad he did, but why did he need to? What are you so upset about?"

Severus stood up as she walked closer to Harry. He was eager to hear Harry's answer. Harry shrugged shyly.

"I was just feeling a little down with what happened. I just feel like everybody's going to think I'm some sort of freak or something." He twisted his hands nervously in his lap. "But I haven't been doing this. The attacks."

Alaina stared at him. "Of course not. Why would you even think that?"

"I-I don't know Why didn't I know I could talk to snakes?"

"That's a good question, Harry. I'm sorry I don't have the answer for you, sweetheart."

Severus cleared his throat. "Harry, some things do not show themselves until the time is right or the situation presents itself. Just like when you were told you were a wizard. Magic had presented itself before when you needed it, but only then."

Alaina smiled. "Severus is absolutely right. You had never been confronted with a snake until now. Therefore, you had no idea that you had the ability to talk to them."

"Precisely," Severus agreed.

Harry wiped his tear-stained face. "That makes me feel loads better." He stood. "I guess I should be going. I'm supposed to be in the study hall Professor McGonagall sat up near the library. A lot of us have things to look up for classes and she wanted to be sure that we were safe."

"I'll walk you," Severus offered.

"You don't have to, Professor."

"I don't care a bit. I want to know for sure that you made it there safely and the only way for me to do that is to walk you myself."

He smiled. "Thanks, sir." He walked toward the door.

Severus did too, but stopped when he got to Alaina and whispered in her ear. "I'll be back. Please wait for me." He smiled that half smile that she loved so much.

"I'll wait," she told him.

He and Harry left the office a few second later. When they reached the study hall, Severus told him 'Good luck'. He silently thanked him and then walked in alone. He glanced back and Snape gave him a knowing nod and disappeared into the shadows. Harry found Ron and Hermione in the back of the room and went to join them.

"Nice of you to join us," Ron whispered as Harry sat down. "What did Snape want?"

"To make sure I was alright, actually," Harry answered.

"You did seem like you were going to be sick, Harry," Hermione pointed out.

He opened up a composition book he grabbed from Ron's pile and a feather quill. Luckily there were extras. He had completely forgotten to get his own with all the excitement. He pretended to be focused on writing something like everyone else.

"You can have that," Ron said. There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Harry grinned. "I'll give you one of mine." He glanced over his shoulder. He had the sinking feeling that someone was watching him. He frowned. He was right. Ginny Weasley was staring right at him. As he looked around the room he noticed that she wasn't the only one. There were several others staring, who all turned away when he caught them. He looked back at Ron and Hermione, who only kept eye contact for a few seconds before returning busily to their work. He sighed wearily and slammed the book shut. "I'm going to go to the common room. I'll see the both of you later."

Harry ran out of the room practically, walking as briskly as he could. He stared down those who were bold enough to stare back at him as he left, watching until he left the room. He went out into the hall and waited until he was out of sight before he stopped. He leaned up against the wall and took a deep breath. He could read their minds, but it wasn't hard to guess what they were thinking. It was in all of their eyes, even Ron's and Hermione's. They feared him.

"So, as I was saying," a boy said, "I told Justin that I think it's best he keep a low profile for a while, especially if Potter's marked him as his next victim."

Harry frowned at this. He was not the monster they thought him to be. He didn't recognize the boy's voice either. A girl spoke next.

"But why would he want to attack Justin?"

"Well, Justin let it slip to Potter that he was Muggleborn."

"And you definitely think Potter is the heir of Slytherin, Ernie?"

"Hannah, he's a Parselmouth. Everyone knows that's the mark of a dark wizard. Have you ever known of a decent one who could talk to snakes? They called Slytherin himself 'serpent tongue'."

Harry couldn't stand it any longer. He peeked around the corner just enough so that he could see their faces. Hannah Abbott and Ernie MacMillan of Hufflepuff came into view. He had seen them around school before.

"Harry always seems so nice though. And after all, he's the one that made You-Know-Who disappear."

"That's probably why You-Know-Who wanted to kill him in the first place. He didn't want another dark lord competing with him."

Harry narrowed his eyes, the statement sinking in. He left in a hurry. He didn't want to hear anymore. He was so upset and his eyes were so blurred with tears that he ran right into Hagrid's stomach.

"Oi, Harry!" he exclaimed. "You seem a little hot and bothered. Where yeh off to?"

"I have some studying to do," he said hastily.

Harry pushed past him and continued on his path to the Gryffindor common room. He didn't want to talk to Hagrid, he didn't want to talk to anybody. He just wanted to be left alone. He had nearly made it to the staircases when he rounded the last corner, but the sight before him stopped him dead in his tracks. His eyes grew to the size of quarters. The ghost the students so fondly nicknamed Nearly Headless Nick was just floating there, and just below him was another victim. It was a boy. That much he could tell right away.

Harry flew to the boy's side, curious as to who it could be. His heart plummeted as he laid eyes on his face. Harry knew him. It was Justin.

"I've got you now, Potter. Mark my words."

Harry whirled around. Filch was standing there leering at him accusingly. "Mr. Filch. You don't understand."

"Save your breath, Potter." He turned away adn walked down the hall.

Harry didn't move. A few seconds later, Filch returned with Professor McGonagall. She stared at him like she didn't really know what to make of the scene before her or what to say.

"It wasn't me," Harry said, begging her to hear him. "I didn't do it, Professor. I swear I didn't."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, Potter, but this is completely out of my hands. You have been discovered at the scene of two attacks now. I have no choice. I have to take you to Dumbledore at once."

Harry's face fell as she motioned for him to follow her. He knew by her disapproving tone that she didn't believe him. Worse, he knew he was probably about to get into a lot of trouble, maybe even expelled from Hogwarts all together. He had never felt worse than he did right then.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 7.6K 35
Severus Snape has spent over the last decade keeping his heart blocked off from the world. He's given up on finding his happiness and given up on lov...
277K 6K 38
Nothing would of prepared Celia Malfoy for what she was about to be faced with. In her last year of Hogwarts coming to a close, the Potions Professo...
55.6K 2.1K 32
Emma Moore, professor in Healing at Hogwarts, has to suppress her feelings for her old best friend and now colleague Severus Snape, who she hasn't se...
5K 171 38
A seventh year hufflepuff girl (y/n) falls deeply in love with her potions master who happens to be your best friend's family friend, Professor Snape...