Scorn: The Devil's Paycheck

By NoRhyme360

Marni is one of twelve Virtues, but when her younger brother David is dying she goes against everything her p... More

Prologue
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four

Chapter One

334 12 11
By NoRhyme360

The house before them shown with a brightness they did not often encounter. It’s owner, a man in his thirties with too much newfound free time, happened to be the only person capable of helping them. Cameron had painted his late parents quaint home an extremely vibrant yellow, with even brighter white shutters. He had also added more roses and perfected the lawn.

Marni found him at the side of the house trimming the grass along the siding that the mower couldn’t cut with a pair of sowing scissors. He took great care, and each cut made was precise, matching the length of the rest of the lawn perfectly. But this methodical act was not what had Marni giggling to herself quietly.

The thirty year old wore a baby blue polo shirt, tan khaki shorts, and to complete the oddly cheerful outfit; a large white sun bonnet adorned with little pink roses on the rim. Unable to contain her laughter any longer it burst from her chest, the force of it making her double over as she struggled to breathe inwardly. This immediately gained the man’s attention and he jumped, dropping his scissors and slamming his head into the air conditioner above.

He cursed softly to himself, rubbing his head, carefully stepping away from the house before standing at his full height; a towering six-two. In that moment David located them, having been searching inside the house previously. “Hiya, Ms. Daisy.” He teased, chuckling as realization dawned on the man’s face and he ripped the bonnet from his head, revealing the dark wild curls of his hair.

“Wha-!” Marni gasped for breath, struggling to sooth her laughter. “What are you doing?” She finally managed, wiping tears of hysteria away before they could fall.

Cameron’s wide shoulders stiffened defensively as he tucked the hat away behind his back. “I was just…” he searched for the right words, “doing a bit of yard work.”

“You mean gardening.” David smirked, his grin widening when Cameron shot him a dirty look for it.

“Retirement has not been good to you my friend.” Her laughter finally passing she straightened herself out, giving the ex NO officer a good slap on the back. His massive form was rigid as he awkwardly fumbled over himself, approaching the front of the house.

“And you’re here because?” He wondered cautiously, knowing trouble often followed the Volette children. Marni and David  trekked after him, lightly ascending the porch steps and entering the man’s humble dwelling.

“Don’t ask stupid questions,” Marni mumbled, observing the many family portraits and art fair-bought paintings that lavished the eggshell walls in a homey manner. Though he had changed the outside of the house, Cameron seemed to have left the inside alone.

Their aging friend sighed heavily, tossing his bonnet on the kitchen table as he started towards the olive green fridge. The two watched him blankly, taking a seat on the couch adjacent from the stairway. “I’m retired, remember?” he pointed out, retrieving a beer and going straight for the bottle opener on the opposite counter.

A sound pop echoed throughout the two rooms, and he tossed the useless lid in the trash. “We can’t ask someone else; NO has practically shunned me.” Marni appealed to his need to help an old friend. Her father had once saved Cameron’s life, and for that the man would do nearly anything for them.

“With good reason.” Cameron declared, taking a stern gulp of the bubbling amber liquid. “If David’s sudden recovery wasn’t enough proof, the mark on your back is.” He motioned towards Marni casually with his beer hand, leaning against the small kitchen table. “Can you blame them? Dealing with a Devil is worse than committing murder in their eyes.” He added gruffly, pounding on his chest with a closed fist until a responding burp burst forth.

Marni tucked a loose mahogany curl behind her ear, her green eyes staring the man down with hard conviction. “I don’t regret what I did.” Her full lips pursed stubbornly in a persistent expression often found on the nineteen-year-old’s face.

“But you shouldn’t have done it,” Cameron replied tightly, narrowing his brown eyes at the girl.

“What else-?” she began angrily.

“Let’s focus on right now?” David suggested nervously, knowing the two often fought with no end in sight. If they got started now nothing would get done. “In nine days thee Lucas Verto is coming to rip my sister’s soul from her chest and drag it to hell, so I think we should save the bickering for later.” He gave Marni a warning glance, his expression set in a firm stare.

She shrugged innocently, as if completely uninvolved.

“NO refused to help?” Cameron clarified after a short pause, raising an eyebrow. The organization he was referring to had been around for decades; secretly working to stop any Devil from having its way with unsuspecting people. NO; the Nightling Order. Once based out of Europe it quickly grew to cover every major country in the world. The Volettes were one of the three founding families, but even that couldn’t give Marni a free pass. Being shunned by them was the least they could have done, punishment wise.

Both replied with a simple nod.

He couldn’t believe it; it was the dumbest thing he’d ever do. But he was doing it all the same. “Honestly,” he heaved a sigh, disappearing further into the kitchen. The sound of drawers loudly opening and closing could be heard among his begrudging mumbles. “Idiot girl makes a pact with the most hazardous Devil of the century, and somehow the universe gets me involved.” He reentered with a small, aging piece of paper in hand. “This is all I can do,” he said, reluctantly giving the item to Marni.

She delicately unfolded it, staring at what she saw with a dry look. “A coupon for condoms?” she questioned, glancing up at Cameron, entirely un-amused by his joke. “Do you honestly think this is helpful?”

David chuckled when a slight blush graced the man’s face.

“Turn the damn thing over.” He grunted, clearing his throat as he retreated into the kitchen for yet another beer. Dealing with the two monsters on his couch was easier with alcohol in the mix.

Marni smiled slyly after him, turning the coupon over to examine the other side. On it, in Cameron’s usual chicken scratch, was a name and address. “Ryker Goodman?” She read aloud, her eyebrows meeting her hairline. “How can he help?”

“He’s a little…” Cameron began hesitantly, inching closer towards the living room, “rough around the edges, but he does good work.” He finally seemed to settle on that, nodding to himself in satisfaction.

“What kind of work?” David wondered, looking over his sister’s shoulder at the piece of paper.

“The kind no one else will do. Some odd jobs, but mostly supernatural stuff. He’s got a few good connections, and if anyone knows what the word is underground it’d be him.” He motioned towards the paper casually with his beer hand.

Ryker Goodman sounded like a fake name to her but having a fake name wasn’t that uncommon within the underground sect. Growing up as one of the twelve Virtues and training under the best officers in NO, she’d learned a thing or two about the supernatural world. One of which was that nothing was ever face value. What you saw was never what you got, in the end.

David started towards the small hardware store across the street and Marni quickly grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, jerking him back. “You’re staying here.” She informed him sternly, softly pushing him back towards the car they had rented earlier that day. The drive to New Orleans was four hours from Cameron’s place, and she hadn’t been willing to take a cab that far (not that any cab would have).

David’s face contorted with annoyance. “Why?” he glared defensively, challenging her decision.

“Because you’re seventeen and this isn’t chucky cheese.” She answered curtly, narrowing her eyes at him. “This world isn’t as easy going as ours. Stay.” She pointed a stern finger at him, ignoring his resentful glare as she crossed the street and entered the rundown shop.

Hal’s Hardware & Home Appliances wasn’t much to brag about. For one the appliances were all outdated, and the hardware was obviously stolen. The decaying state of the store didn’t help much either. “What’re ya lookin for?” a fat southern man drawled from behind the counter, scratching his sweaty ass in a way that made Marni grimace.

“Are you Ryker Goodman?” she questioned, cautiously approaching the man. His itching fingers halted their assault on his behind long enough for his eyes to rake over her twice, a bushy eyebrow raised suspiciously. She probably wasn’t dressed like most of his clientele; being that all she wore was a simple t-shirt and jeans.

“Who’s askin?” he demanded warily, looking her up and down once more.

“Cameron Reid sent me,” that was all she was willing to give up. Until she knew if this man was Ryker Goodman, at least.

He straightened himself out slightly, his features softening. He turned, heading for a door that led into the back of the store. “Hey punk!” he half shouted, pounding twice on the door before opening it. “You got a costumer.” He informed Mr. Goodman gruffly, leaving the door open and returning to his post at the counter.

Marni watched the door curiously, waiting for any sign that someone was actually back there.

“Come on kid, don’t make the girl wait all day!” the man shouted impatiently.

“Yeah, yeah! I’m coming ya fat bast-” the deep timbre voice that responded stopped short when the owner entered the room and spotted Marni. She froze under the gaze of the palest brown eyes she’d ever seen. But it wasn’t their color that halted her, though it was a very beautiful and odd one. It was what she saw in his eyes that unsettled her. Just below the jaded yet somehow still curious surface she saw a vast, inexplicable pain. They were also critical and focused with a deep intellect one didn’t often encounter in the supernatural world. It caused her to stumble mentally for a moment before she snapped herself free. “Can I help you?” his politeness surprised her even more.

It wasn’t until he approached the counter further, wiping his grease covered hands on a worn out rag, that she became aware of how large a man he was. Not beefy like Cameron and so many other NO officers, he was lean. And he was ripped. With tawny skin. The maroon t-shirt he wore was a testament to the taut steel beneath.

Focus Marni…

She shook her head, bringing her attention back to the task at hand. “I’m looking for some assistance with a little problem I’ve got, and a friend of mine said you were the right guy for the job.” She explained, watching him warily as he jerked his chin towards the back room. The fat man behind the counter sighed as he got up and left, grumbling to himself as he closed the door behind him.

“And you are?” Ryker questioned, his eyes focused completely on hers. “I can’t very well work for someone when I don’t know their name.” He explained when she didn’t answer immediately, and it was then she noticed a slight lilt to his voice that suggested he’d lived in England at some point in his life. Though she had been mulling over whether or not to give him a fake name, she still had enough brain power to appreciate the seductiveness.

She was a dark-auburn haired beauty with such sharp green eyes that he actually found himself impressed with her. At first glance she didn’t appear to be much but upon closer inspection his interest peaked. She had a gentle smoothness that contradicted the calculative strength in her eyes.

“Aria Felix.” Her first and last name was contradicting as well. To put something lovely like Aria, a name he did not need to speak to know it would roll off his tongue like fine whiskey, in front of something simple like Felix seemed flat out wrong.

“Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the job?” Gabriel inquired, tossing the used up rag on the counter as he took a seat, propping his feet up to give his long legs a stretch.

“How much do you know about Devils?” She questioned bluntly, ignoring his question. He felt his face fall flat as his shoulders tensed.

“Enough. Why?” He insisted, narrowing his eyes at her slightly. How could a young woman like her be involved with Devils?

“Because I’ve got little more than a week to kill one.” Her grave tone was amusing, and he couldn’t stop himself from laughing at her.

“That’s an easy fix, lady.” He smirked.

“Aria,” she corrected, her tone suggesting she wasn’t pleased with his reaction to her problem.

“Whatever.” His eyes rolled uncaringly. Getting up from his seat he reached under the counter, pulling out a shotgun and shells, taking his time to load it as he spoke. “This is a gun, it goes bang.” He explained, as if she had the intellect of a child. Her expression set into a sneer that suggested she not only hated his tone, she didn’t care for him much either. “You point it at the bad thing, and it goes away.” He cocked the gun, making her jump back in surprise.

“I know what a gun is.” She snapped tartly, getting defensive.

“Then you don’t need me.” His sly stare didn’t help her irritation any.

“You don’t know the whole story,” she explained lowly, holding back the urge to reach across the counter and slap that smug look right off his face. Her fingers twitched expectantly, but hitting her only hope at the moment wasn’t a good idea.

He set the shotgun down in front of him. “And apparently you’re not willing to give it up, so why don’t we skip the long argument and part ways now?” He shrugged nonchalantly, interlacing his fingers behind his head as he turned to approach the back room.

Marni swiftly removed her shoulder bag, dumping its contents out onto the counter. Gabriel casually glanced back at the noise and had to mentally remind his jaw not to hit the floor. She’d place at least fifty-grand in front of him. “This is just the down payment.” She smirked slyly

“Are you bribing me?” he gave her a droll stare, cocking one eyebrow curiously. She placed both hands on either side of the cash pile, leaning forward to smile innocently at him.

“Think of it more as a gentle persuasion,” she replied, drumming her fingers on the counter top with mock casualness.

He had to admit, she’d gotten his attention.

“What’s the catch?” he turned his body slightly to face her again, unable to walk away from a payment that large. Money was everything, even in the supernatural world.

“Does the name Verto ring any bells?” she raised a sly eyebrow at him.

His stomach sank. “Yep,” he managed a stiff nod, pursing his lips with irritation. “And if that’s who’s after you, I’m afraid you’re on your own.” He turned to leave, annoyed that he had to walk away from that much cash. But going against a top class demon like Lucas was like wearing a sign that read, “Please rip out my entrails and feed them to me.” The risk wasn’t worth the reward.

Her mouth turned slack. “Why?” she demanded, her expression twisting into one of anger.     

“Look lady,” he began, sighing tiredly at her.

“Aria!” she corrected, grinding her teeth.

“Alright, Aria. I’ve got enough targets on my back as it is, but you’re like a freaking beacon of death. If Verto is after you there’s nothing anyone can do to stop him. Might as well make peace with your dear fluffy lord now.” He shrugged indifferently, continuing on his way to the back room.

“That’s true enough for most people, but I’m slightly different.” She argued after him.

He rolled his eyes, reaching for the doorknob. “Being a virgin doesn’t help any,” his dry sarcasm only peaked her anger further.

Just as he twisted the knob the girl was suddenly right in front of him, materializing out of thin air. He jumped back, his eyes flashing from her previous spot by the counter to her current spot before him. “How’d you-?”

“Fifty-grand now, and another two hundred if you manage to keep my soul intact.” She practically slapped him in the face with that offer. Regaining his composure he gave her a dry look, folding his arms stubbornly over his chest.

“I wipe my ass with that kind of cash.” He smirked darkly, his eyes bright with a challenge. “Try again.” There was no way she’d go higher, not when-

“Fine, we’ll make it five hundred. But that’s the cut off.” She shrugged, folding her arms over her chest in a way that mocked him. His eyes narrowed on her.

“How do I know you’re good for it?” he watched her reaction carefully, trying to detect any lie she might spit out.

“That amount would barely make a dent in my trust fund, let alone affect my lifestyle.” She sneered in a way that suggested she not only hated him, she thought he was an idiot too.

“Never would have pegged you for a silver-spoon girl.” He raked her up and down mockingly, chuckling when her anger flared.

“Do we have a deal?” she seethed, struggling to keep her frustration in check. It only made him smirk that much more; screwing with this chick was fun, at least.

“We could seal it with a kiss, if you’d like?” He leaned forward, his face just inches apart from hers. She actually smelled nice, though, so the action backfired slightly. Her scent was warm and sweet like lilacs, tickling his senses and making his fingers twitch.

“Don’t hold your breath.” She scoffed, rolling her eyes as she shoved past him to the money on the counter, reloading it into her bag.

Already she didn’t like him, but that’s what made it interesting as far as he was concerned. She shoved the bag into his chest…hard.

“Let’s go,” she turned on her heels to leave.

“Hold it.” He stopped her, smirking at the glare she shot his way. “If we’re doing this, we’re doing it my way.” He almost laughed at the outrage in her eyes. “Meaning I’ll say when we go, and where.”

She paused, her fists clenched and shoulders quivering as she fought against her annoyance and the urge to shoot him. “Fine.” She was so reluctant she almost couldn’t get the word out.

He chuckled, oddly delighted by the sight of it.

(A/N: Chapter one, awesome! This is my favorite chapter so far, but I'm hoping to top it, so keep reading! Also, if you liked the story and want to, please remember to support it by voting, commenting and so on. : ) Thanks for reading and supporting, I hope you continue to do both!

Much thanks,

Kaycie)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

752 251 74
With more enemies lining up to kill him than he can count, a playboy billionaire must hire the only woman capable of keeping him alive, even if she h...
74 2 1
The war for Earth and its inhabitants was a prolonged and violent conflict that lasted for years. The battle was fought between the forces of good an...
274 42 39
When Angelique Savant, a quiet, unassuming foster kid with a genius IQ is found not guilty of attempting to murder her best friend, she's committed t...
240 1 22
In a parallel universe, most of humanity has begun to exhibit superhuman powers once hitting puberty. On the day he hits puberty, Josiah Smith awaken...