Chapter One

The house before them shown with a brightness they did not often encounter. It’s owner, a man in his thirties with too much newfound free time, happened to be the only person capable of helping them. Cameron had painted his late parents quaint home an extremely vibrant yellow, with even brighter white shutters. He had also added more roses and perfected the lawn.

Marni found him at the side of the house trimming the grass along the siding that the mower couldn’t cut with a pair of sowing scissors. He took great care, and each cut made was precise, matching the length of the rest of the lawn perfectly. But this methodical act was not what had Marni giggling to herself quietly.

The thirty year old wore a baby blue polo shirt, tan khaki shorts, and to complete the oddly cheerful outfit; a large white sun bonnet adorned with little pink roses on the rim. Unable to contain her laughter any longer it burst from her chest, the force of it making her double over as she struggled to breathe inwardly. This immediately gained the man’s attention and he jumped, dropping his scissors and slamming his head into the air conditioner above.

He cursed softly to himself, rubbing his head, carefully stepping away from the house before standing at his full height; a towering six-two. In that moment David located them, having been searching inside the house previously. “Hiya, Ms. Daisy.” He teased, chuckling as realization dawned on the man’s face and he ripped the bonnet from his head, revealing the dark wild curls of his hair.

“Wha-!” Marni gasped for breath, struggling to sooth her laughter. “What are you doing?” She finally managed, wiping tears of hysteria away before they could fall.

Cameron’s wide shoulders stiffened defensively as he tucked the hat away behind his back. “I was just…” he searched for the right words, “doing a bit of yard work.”

“You mean gardening.” David smirked, his grin widening when Cameron shot him a dirty look for it.

“Retirement has not been good to you my friend.” Her laughter finally passing she straightened herself out, giving the ex NO officer a good slap on the back. His massive form was rigid as he awkwardly fumbled over himself, approaching the front of the house.

“And you’re here because?” He wondered cautiously, knowing trouble often followed the Volette children. Marni and David  trekked after him, lightly ascending the porch steps and entering the man’s humble dwelling.

“Don’t ask stupid questions,” Marni mumbled, observing the many family portraits and art fair-bought paintings that lavished the eggshell walls in a homey manner. Though he had changed the outside of the house, Cameron seemed to have left the inside alone.

Their aging friend sighed heavily, tossing his bonnet on the kitchen table as he started towards the olive green fridge. The two watched him blankly, taking a seat on the couch adjacent from the stairway. “I’m retired, remember?” he pointed out, retrieving a beer and going straight for the bottle opener on the opposite counter.

A sound pop echoed throughout the two rooms, and he tossed the useless lid in the trash. “We can’t ask someone else; NO has practically shunned me.” Marni appealed to his need to help an old friend. Her father had once saved Cameron’s life, and for that the man would do nearly anything for them.

“With good reason.” Cameron declared, taking a stern gulp of the bubbling amber liquid. “If David’s sudden recovery wasn’t enough proof, the mark on your back is.” He motioned towards Marni casually with his beer hand, leaning against the small kitchen table. “Can you blame them? Dealing with a Devil is worse than committing murder in their eyes.” He added gruffly, pounding on his chest with a closed fist until a responding burp burst forth.