Set in Stone - Haldir's Story...

By SparklinJazzlin

"The Lord of Lorien looked at his wife - her thoughts were hidden behind her smooth, shimmering face. Fo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - The Brothers
Chapter 2 - The Journey
Chapter 3 - Lothlórien
Chapter 4 - Daëra
Chapter 5 - Falling off a Tree
Chapter 6 - Fire
Chapter 7 - Miruvor
Chapter 8 - Decisions
Chapter 9 - Arwen Undómiel
Chapter 10 - Haldir of Lothlórien
Chapter 11 - 2 Decades later: Return
Chapter 12 - Another 2 Decades later: Another Return
Chapter 13 - One of the Three
Chapter 14 - Fever
Chapter 15 - Eavesdropping
Chapter 16 - The Truth?
Chapter 17 - The Districts of Mithlond
Chapter 18 - 10,000
Chapter 19 - Galadriel's Pendant
Chapter 20 - Daëra's Pendant
Chapter 21 - Battleaxe
Chapter 22 - Stars
Chapter 23 - Dol Guldur's Revenge
Chapter 24 - Days of Fire
Chapter 25 - Fits of Rage
Chapter 26 - Up North
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 - Leaving

Chapter 27 - The End

591 18 1
By SparklinJazzlin

*Hi guys, as you all will know from the LOTR movies/books, my story is quickly racing towards the end (but not yet in this chapter - despite the title!). Thanks to everyone who has stayed with me so far! I hope you enjoyed it a little. Lots of love, Jazzlin*

Dear brothers. I suppose you are wondering how my life is turning out to be back here in Mirkwood. When I first arrived, everything was as we left it all those years ago. To you and other Lórien elves this might sound dreadful – and yet indeed, to me it was not. I feared my first ride out into the woods on my own would be my death, but even that fear was soon soothed. Since Thranduil of course did not know of my coming, no one waited at the western border of the forest to accompany me to the king's caves, my home. I survived the ride through the forest well: the time in the Golden Wood it seems has not robbed us of our abilities after all – at least this is the case for myself, but I am sure it will apply for you as well, dear brothers. I heard the wardens fought off the orc attacks: which is good – it would have been a pity to see Lothlórien destroyed. Yet I never doubted you would be able to prevent such a dire fate. At the beginning of my letter I told you nothing had changed in Mirkwood when I arrived. It is true, but I cannot deny that things have changed now, thanks to the Ladies Galadriel and Daëra. Their powers have driven the evil spirits out of my home and now it seems Mirkwood is changing back to the Great Wood. If you travelled here now, Haldir and Orophin, you would not recognise the place we grew up in. Sometimes, the sun's golden rays will reach the ground and everywhere it touches fresh green grass starts growing. Even the trees are less lethal and seem happier. I am teaching the other elves some of the songs we were singing in Lórien to heal the trees and make them happy. I hope it will work in here as well, now that Dol Guldur is destroyed. Thranduil does not resent you for not joining him anymore. He seemed displeased at first when only one of us returned, he had hoped Orophin would come as well. Of course he knew Haldir was March Warden and had tied his fate to Lórien for good. Now that Galadriel has saved his home, though, I doubt he will ever be angry at her again - he isnot even holding it against her anymore that she is keeping the both of you away from him. I told him we met Legolas when the fellowship passed through the Golden Wood and Thranduil was pleased to hear his son was well. Should those dark times ever brighten up, I hope you will both come for a visit to see for yourself the changes I have described to you above. Fare you well, Rumil.

"How are you?" Haldir asked the question more out of formality, he didn't expect a detailed account of his brother's health – in fact, he didn't expect anything different to "I am fine, I thank you, brother". The answer he got was "Alright. Thank you." – At first, Haldir didn't think much about it, but before he had walked several steps he stopped dead in his tracks and slowly turned around. "Are you quite sure, Orophin?" – His youngest brother sighed. "You do remember the cut I told you about? – Well, it is not healing as well as I would like. I think the blade that wounded me might have been poisoned." – Haldir frowned and went back to have a look at the cut on his brother's arm. It did indeed look sore still, even though the healers had already treated it. The rims were reddened and it was oozing a wet substance at all times. Haldir concluded it must be really painful. "We defeated the orcs days ago. Why did you not say something sooner?" – Orophin just shrugged and pulled his sleeve back down. "Obviously, the ordinary healers are not able to do anything about it, so I figured I would have to wait until the Lady's and Galadriel's return anyway. I did not see the need to bother you with it." – Haldir briefly considered starting an argument about how telling him about an injury was not bothering him, but he quickly decided against it – he knew what Orophin meant, he probably would have done it the same way himself.

He patted Orophin's shoulder. "I am sure they will be here soon. Rumil was telling us about them in his letter and I suppose the bird will not precede them more than a few days. They are swift riders." – Orophin nodded and tried to look confident. Haldir hid his worried glance behind a mask and thought of a task for his brother that would take his mind of the pain without him having to do much physical work. In the end he sent him to escort some caretakers, with all orcs that lived close to Lórien dead or fled, this should not end in a fight. His brother was definitely in a lot of pain. Haldir went to continue his duties, but he could not quite concentrate. After the battle had been fought and Dol Guldur destroyed without any of his loved ones ending up dead, he had imagined everyone safe. A capital mistake, of course: no one was ever really safe, unless perhaps in the Undying Lands. Suddenly, Haldir felt as if someone had switched a light back on in Lothlórien: the birds started to sing like they hadn't done for a while and the sun seemed to shine brighter, the colours appeared more colourful. That was when Haldir knew: the Lady of the Woods had returned.

When Daëra entered the forest on her faithful horse, she immediately felt at home. It was so good to exchange the dark, rough trees for the smooth grey-skinned mellorn trees that grew in Lórien. Even Galadriel took a deep breath: "It is indeed good to be back." – After only a few minutes some wardens appeared to greet them, one of them was Rohir. "My Ladies, perhaps you would not mind following us immediately to help our healers? – They have been struggling to completely heal some of the graver wounds and poisonings." – Galadriel nodded and two wardens took care of their horses while they went with the others. Daëra knew about the battle that had happened, Galadriel – who was always in touch with Celeborn – had told her about it. The last bit of the journey they had ridden fiercely to be able to heal as many as possible in the short while they had left. The fate of Middle-Earth would be decided soon, one way or the other.

Suddenly, a hand grasped Daëra's arm and whirled her around. Before she knew what was happening, she found herself being crushed to Haldir's broad chest. She wrapped her arms around his waist, holding on to his tunic. "You are not hurt?" she quietly asked after a while. Haldir bent down and kissed her softly. "I am fine, but I would be glad if you could have a look at Orophin." – Daëra could clearly see the sorrow in his eyes and quickly stepped back. "Show me to him." – They were running elven-style and Daëra was still impressed at how being an elf had contributed to her endurance. She could even talk while running at her quickest pace. "What kind is his wound?" – "He has been cut by a poisoned blade." – Daëra expression darkened when she remembered how Haldir had arrived in Lórien after Helm's Deep, the constitution he'd been in. But she'd managed to heal him, even though she'd had to use the fire on him several times, so Orophin should not be in greater danger than him - unless of course the orcs had found a deadlier poison than the one they'd been using before, never to mention that different groups of orcs might be using different poisons, depending on where they had their base camps. Daëra tried to keep the bad feeling from her mind. – "He has not suffered as much as one would have thought, he has borne it well. Yet his health is constantly declining. Without help, he will be dead within a week's time." – Daëra smiled at Haldir in a determined manner. "Don't worry, that will not happen." – He nodded and they continued running; it wasn't hard for Daëra to know when they were approaching their aim: there were voices, elves shuffling about and a pained sigh now and then.

On a small clearing, the elves had put up pallets for the wounded who had to wait for Galadriel and Daëra's return to be healed. Some were looking pale and sick, as if most of their lives had already drained out of them, others merely seemed to be asleep. Orophin was among the latter mentioned. His plaits had started to look a bit untidy and his hair was spilled all over the make-shift pillow on the top-end of the pallet. His eyes were closed and he looked peaceful – had he be human, Daëra would have supposed he was dead. He wasn't, though, and when they approached he opened his eyes. "You are back," he said with a voice that was somewhat weaker than it would have usually been. – "I am." Daëra smiled and sat on the side of his bed, pushing back his sleeve. Orophin lifted his hand. "What are you doing?" – "Healing you." – Orophin sat up: slowly but he did it. "There are worse cases than mine. I will last an hour longer." – Daëra looked back and forth between Náre, Orophin and Haldir. Then she took notice of the other sick elves, especially those who seemed at the very verge of death. Her eyes came to a halt when they met Haldir's. He slowly nodded. "If this is his wish..." – Daëra stood up and stepped back so she could look at both brothers at the same time. "The thing is just..." her voice was barely more than a whisper, "Náre's power might be destroyed any minute. Frodo... he will get caught or he will succeed. But both times it will end with Náre's power dying." – Orophin took a deep breath. "Well then I suppose you'd better hurry."

Daëra nodded slowly and was about to move on to some patient closer at death's door than Orophin when Haldir took hold of her arm. "What will happen if Sauron wins? I he acquires the one ring?" – I will die, and so will all who are within a range of 50 metres of me. The words were on Daëra's lips, but she couldn't bring herself to say them – yet neither could she lie. Haldir threw her a scrutinising glance. "Will it destroy us?" he suggested. Daëra nodded, making sure none of the wounded was listening in. "You should leave," she stated. "Please do leave. Caras Galadhon should be out of the explosion's reach." – Haldir continued looking at her for a while, then he almost smiled. It was a weird thing to see, regarding the graveness of the situation. Daëra slightly frowned at him, but the faded smile stayed on his lips. He took hold of her hand, entwining their fingers. "A world where Sauron rules is not worth living in, anyway." He kissed her softly. "I almost died once and I left many a business unfinished. Now this is not so. I love you, and always will – in this or any other world." – Daëra felt tears welling up in her eyes. "I love you too. With you I am at home – as short as my time as elf might turn out to be, this is where I belong: next to you."

"Well, you could start healing other people," Orophin chimed in from behind. "I want you to heal them first, but I hadn't intended to actually dying a martyr." When he saw Daëra's watery eyes, he frowned. "Is my fate already sealed? – Or is something else amiss?" – She smiled. "No, you will be fine. Everything will be fine. Do not worry. We will be back soon to heal you." Daëra held onto Haldir's hand and together they went to release other wounded elves from their pains. It was the middle of the day, but the Eastern sky seemed redder than what was normal. Without looking Daëra knew it must be Minas Tirith: the Lady had seen it burn, but by now the battle would be long over – Galadriel hadn't been able to tell who would win or lose.

It was an hour before Daëra and Haldir returned to Orophin's bedside. His state of health hadn't changed much: he'd gotten a slight bit paler, but that was about all. Daëra – perfectly experienced by now as to how prepare her patients for the fire-healing – knelt down next to his pallet. Making people believe it wouldn't be painful usually made the shock worse when it did hurt, so she frankly said: "This is going to be a lot of pain – but since you're a warden, I'm sure you'll deal with it admirably." – Orophin smirked. "Well, well, such flattery." – Daëra suppressed a smile. "Your laugh will get stuck in your throat once I have started." She said it as if in jest, even though it was true. She placed her hands on the cut on Orophin's arm and concentrated on Náre. When it started working, she felt the warden's muscles growing tense, but he never screamed. "You are doing well," she said quietly. It reassured the people as she had found out, but this time it was not even a mere flowery phrase. – "Well, it is not that bad," Orophin stated, his voice sounding almost normal. Daëra's eyes flew open. "Is it not?" Her stomach fluttered, had she perhaps found a way to make it hurt less... without noticing? Daëra let Náre's whole energy flow into the elf's wound: the poison must be awful, the healing was eating all the energy right up as if it were nothing. After a whole of five minutes, Daëra stumbled backwards, right into Haldir's arms. "This is taking so long. Is he healed?" – Daëra wiped her forehead and looked right at Orophin. "The poison is taking a lot of Náre's power. It must have been especially strong." She frowned. "But if it had been, it should have killed you sooner, should it not?" – Haldir rubbed her shoulder. "Do not worry, Orophin is better now, so there is no need to worry." – The younger brother sat up carefully. Obviously satisfied by the result, he stood up, took a step forward – and fell to the ground with a choked cry. Haldir knelt down next to him. "What is happening?!" – Daëra ruffled her hair. "I don't know, I healed him for five minutes, even a really bad poison should be drawn out of his system by then, unless..." She froze and then whispered: "He said it wasn't that bad, did he not?" She stared at her right index finger where Náre gleamed innocently and then at Haldir: his glance said he understood. He looked back and forth between his brother who was cradling his hurt arm on the ground and the ring. "It is losing its powers, is it not?" he whispered. Daëra took several steps back, a tear rolling down her cheek. They should have healed Orophin first after all, she didn't know whether there was another way of healing him now. Daëra nodded. "Frodo must have made it." She felt the Lady's eyes on her and when their glances met, they were thinking the same thing: their rings were limited now; their powers would be gone for good soon. "Orophin, I..." Daëra began, but she never finished. All of a sudden Náre was blazing hot on her finger and before she could even take a step, the ring of power exploded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.8K 1.7K 16
An account of the last days of the ElvenQueen. Lairiel of Lorien was a Telerian elleth, and guardian of the Valar's creation. A chance encounter, on...
499K 24.4K 81
"𝑂𝑛𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑙𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑙. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆." Daeriel knew that fate could be cruel. After all, she was o...
628 41 9
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
218K 9.9K 41
***BOOK II of the To Live Again Saga*** Clara has overcome much to finally find her happily ever after...but when is anything happily ever after in M...