Blood Bound [Book Two, Lady a...

By Hendrixx

"You once said you wouldn't fall for a bitch with a leash, Konstantin," she mocked. "Tell me, has the monster... More

Prologue: Blood Bound
Chapter One: Change
Chapter Two: He Hated Goodbyes
Chapter Three: He Loved Her. He Didn't Love Her.
Chapter Four: Ugly Lies
Chapter Five: Memories
Chapter Six: Fire Meet Gasoline
Chapter Seven: Big Bad
Chapter Eight: The Real Wolf
Chapter Nine: Weak
Chapter Ten: Always
Chapter Eleven: The Honest Truth
Chapter Twelve: Twisted Games
Chapter Fourteen: Sacrifices

Chapter Thirteen: Who Are You?

44.3K 2.8K 441
By Hendrixx

Voices echoed all around her, some strange and some familiar, speaking in what felt like a never-ending loop. Aira felt her mind start to spin, as she tried desperately to process the information that she had just heard.

Shutting her eyes, she lay there, begging for the bad dream to end. It wasn't supposed to be this real, this intense...This damaging.

A sharp howl in the distance made her eyes snap open, as a cold sweat began to trickle down her body.

At the sound, she thought back to her childhood, to the moment when Avery had been helping her get ready for bed, and even the trivial memory of her displeasure at the pyjama she had been wearing.

Why was it that she could remember her dislike for those pyjamas, but not her mother's voice?

Here's a potential way to enhance the passage with a more dynamic description:

Aira let out a soft, trembling cry, carefully lifting herself from the ground and struggling to find her footing. Despite her disorientation, she found herself quickly gaining balance as she heard a male voice in close proximity, soothingly saying, "It's okay, they're wild animals, but they won't come near our site... Don't worry, hon."

That voice. She knew that voice.

Before she knew what was happening, her feet were making their way towards where the voices were coming from. She kept up a steady pace as she all but ran to the place her nightmare began. A feeling of dread welled in her very soul, but Aira pushed it aside. She needed to see their faces – to see for herself the people lost in a memory, long ago pushed to the deepest, darkest part of her mind.

Aira brushed past trees and bushes, her eyes barely registering the surroundings as her thoughts were lost in a whirlpool of emotions.

But her eyes suddenly widened when a branch scraped against her arm, leaving behind a nasty scratch.

The sudden sting served as a sharp and sudden reminder of her reality, and it weighed down her body even more heavily as if she could carry any more weight.

"No," she whispered, shaking her head as she looked down at her wound that slowly trickled blood. "This can't be real."

As she neared the camp, she could hear chatter and children's giggles. The smell of cooked food sent her senses into overdrive, making her realize that if she could smell food, she could probably taste it as well.

Memories flooded back to her in waves of emotions, cracking whatever sanity she clung to in this desolate dream world.

As soon as she stepped into the clearing, she noticed a sudden stillness.

All voices had abruptly stopped their chatter, and now the air was silent and uneasy.

The eyes she vaguely remembered from a time long gone were all focused on her in complete shock.

The warmth of blood trickling down her arm was difficult to ignore, but she managed to ignore the sting of the injury - unable to tear her gaze away from the man and woman standing in front of her, paralyzed with shock.

"Hey, miss, are you okay?"

Aira spun around, her face filled with fear as she trembled and pulled away from the young man's touch.

A boy stood behind her – not much younger than herself – and eyed her with a worried expression.

"You're hurt. Where'd you come from? Do you need help?"

The torrent of questions made it difficult for her to process everything at once. She placed a trembling hand on her forehead, her eyes moving around the vicinity to try and assess the situation.

After a moment of indecision, she took a timid step back, searching around for a source of comfort.

His brows furrowed in confusion as he took a step back. "Dad, I think she's in shock," he said as he looked past her, staring at a man who came rushing over to them.

As he came closer, she snapped.

Aira crumbled to the ground, wracking, sobbing, and struggling to get away from them.

"Stay back!" she cried, choking between tears of fear and heartbreak. "You're not real!"

Scrambling further backward, Aira was suddenly stopped by something soft.

Warm, comforting arms embraced her, pulling her close and holding her tight as they soothed her with gentle cooing and shushing. "Shh..." The comforting voice whispered. "Everything will be okay Sweetie. We'll get you help."

Instinctively Aira looked up, holding back the urge to fight the woman off, before her eyes widened and her limbs went slack with shock.

Mom.

"Charlie..." Vivian spoke quietly, her voice filled with a sudden rush of frantic concern. "We need to call in the ranger. For all we know, there could be someone chasing her! We need to get her out of here, and quickly."

"Nah," a man commented as he stepped forward beside Charlie. "We've been trying but the cell phones haven't been getting any service all day. We'll just have to wait until early light to get her some help," he said with a resigned tone.

Charlie grunted and paced back and forth. Aira watched him like a hawk, her eyes never leaving him. "Her arm—"

"—it looks like a flesh wound. We'll bandage it, Dad," Ian muttered as he eyed the wound on Aira's arm. "If it doesn't stop bleeding, we'll head out as soon as possible."

"You're not a doctor yet, Ian. I can make it out..." Charlie murmured, shaking his head in disagreement. "Just lay her in the car. We might as well try to get her some help as quickly as we can. It might take a while, but if we don't move her, then she might keep getting worse."

"No!" Vivian protested sharply, her voice filled with indignation and worry. "It's completely dark outside, and driving would be extremely dangerous. You could easily get lost on the tracks and drive off a damn cliff. We'll wait. I'll stay with her to watch over her until daybreak."

The woman seemed to have no room for further argument, as the men appeared to express their disagreement. As Charlie moved closer, Aira felt herself tense up momentarily, bracing for his touch.

But to her surprise, Charlie knelt beside her and gave her a bright smile. Aira's anxiety began to recede as she realized that this moment felt so familiar to her.

"He's going to carry you to the tent, sweetie. We'll give you some water and food, and then you can rest. We'll keep you safe."

Vivian's words were warm and filled with a promise of safety. It took Aira a moment to realize this woman was no stranger... this was her mother.

An elderly woman turned back and started to run to her tent. "I'll get her some blankets."

The woman turned away abruptly, swiftly moving toward her tent. Within a few moments, she was back with a soft, thick blanket, which she began to cover Aira with. It took a moment for the warmth to build up, but the comfort of that small gesture made Aira's throat grow damp and her eyes sting.

The man who had told them about the service issues turned as well, moving back to his spot on the reserve.

"I've got some fishing gear. If we need to sew her up, we can use my fishing lines."

"I'm going to pick you up, okay?" Charlie whispered softly, his face showing total honesty and sincerity. "It'll just be for a second. I won't let anyone hurt you, that I promise."

Aira nodded, letting out a subtle nervous noise as Charlie picked her up and carried her toward their tent. Upon reaching the tent, Aira took notice of two people standing outside.

The little girl was tightly encircled by the teenager's protective embrace, both watching Aira with a cautious stare. However, while there was a clear distrust for the situation, the teen's gaze was void of malicious intent, carrying only a natural caution and skepticism.

The energy drained away as she was placed gently onto the cot. Her head rested back, gazing up at the roof of the family-sized tent. She could feel the delicate feathers poking out from the pillow, the aroma of food cooking, and the frantic whispers of people gathered outside. The energy of urgency was palpable, as everyone inside the tent seemed to abandon whatever they were doing before, to see what was happening with her.

Aira realized her eyes had been closed all these years because she could finally see the reality of her situation. For the first time in her life, she could see her demons.

And they were out for blood.

*******

It seemed like she had closed her eyes for only a second before she was jolted awake by something pulling at the necklace around her neck.

The child next to her jumped back, letting out a little whimper before covering her mouth and looking around nervously. When she was sure no one heard her, she sighed.

"What were you doing?" Aira asked, her gaze stern as she looked over the child.

'I look happy,' was her only thought. The little blue-eyed girl certainly looked cheerful, and Aira couldn't remember ever looking that happy in any photo.

"I was looking at your pretty necklace."

Aira's hand reached up and grasped her necklace, the one Van had made for her before her departure to Richard's compound.

'Before he let me walk right through hell's doors is more like it,' she thought with a cringe.

"V-aa-n, Van. That's a funny name."

The child smiled.

Aira smiled back. "Vaughn," she corrected.

"Oh. My teacher taught me how to spell out sounds. Why do people have names that sound so funny?"

"Your name's Aira, isn't it?" Aira asked.

The child tilted her head before smiling proudly. "Yep!"

"That's a pretty funny name too," she smiled playfully.

Aira wanted this back more than she had realized.

"Aira, come out here and get your butt in bed. You and Avery are sleeping in your brother's tent tonight," Vivian called, poking her head into the tent. "I tell you to stay still and you never listen."

"I was just talking to the girl!" she cried back, her little foot stomping onto the ground and her fists clenched at her sides. It seemed she was on the brink of a tantrum.

Aira smiled warmly as she watched the encounter.

Vivian sighed, "Go on, out. Daddy's going to read you a story."

"I don't want a story," she huffed back. "I want to sleep in my bed," she pointed at the cot Aira was lying in and pouted.

"Come on darling. You're tired and grumpy."

Vivian reached out her hand in an attempt to coax her daughter closer, but the little firecracker refused to let her grip slip through her fingers. Instead, she chose to keep her distance, refusing to budge a fraction of an inch.

"Aira Mae, don't do this. She's tired and hurt. Come on, before I have to get Daddy in here and drag you out," Vivian threatened.

Aira could tell by the look on her face that her patience was running thin.

The child's eyes flashed with a haughtiness that only children are skilled at conveying. She remained steadfast in her place, keeping her distance from the offered hand. Her lips curved up into a proud smile. "No, he won't," she said, her voice carrying a distinct tone of mischief and arrogance. "Daddy does what I say."

"Do I now?"

The little girl's face instantly crumpled when she saw her father at the tent's opening. His eyebrows were arched upward, and his arms were firmly crossed as he stared directly at her. Despite the affection dripping from his eyes, his face was firmly set in a stern expression, showing that he meant every word he said.

He nodded towards the tents opening sharply, his tone of voice carrying no room for argument or negotiation. "Out, immediately, little miss."

She let out a loud, frustrated cry before stalking off out of the tent. Charlie sighed, but a small smile graced his handsome face as he turned and walked away, following his irritated daughter.

Aira smiled – the first real smile she had made since she got here. "She's... something," she commented, not knowing the right word to describe her younger self.

"She's a teenager in a six-year-old's body," Vivian laughed. "She just wanted to stay here with you I think."

Vivian moved closer. "Sit up for me, hon. I need to clean your wound. Infection can be terrible."

Aira obliged as she sat up and put her arm out. "Thank you for helping me."

Vivian took out a bottle of antiseptic hand sanitizer and applied it to her hands generously. She avoided eye contact during the process, perhaps worried about being too rude if she asked a question.

However, after a short moment of silence, she eventually worked up the courage to ask. Her tone was gentle and sincere as she asked, "May I know what happened to you?"

"I-I don't know. I woke up just outside your campsite. I hurt myself running through the trees. A branch snagged my arm."

It wasn't a complete lie, but the truth wasn't an option just yet.

Vivian pulled some antiseptic cream out of her bag and started applying it to Aira's wound. Aira hissed from the sting but reminded herself that she'd endured much worse.

"I always warn my children about running around near the trees. Low-hanging branches can do some serious damage. Avery, she's my oldest girl, nearly knocked her teeth out as a kid running into a branch."

She smiled, and Aira could tell that Vivian held onto memories just like she did.

"Yeah, they're deadly alright."

As Vivian inspected the cut, she asked, "Where are you from? Where are your parents?"

The blood must have drained from Aira's face because Vivian stiffened and felt her forehead for a fever.

"They're... They died when I was very young. I was adopted. My dad's a doctor, and my mother's a secretary – was I mean. We moved; I suppose you could say."

It felt odd calling Emma and Drake her mother and father, when her mother was kneeling right in front of her, tending to her injury.

Vivian smiled cluelessly and nodded. "They sound like good people."

"I couldn't have gotten this far without them," Aira smiled back, a tear slipping down her cheek. "They gave me everything they had."

Upon noticing the tears, Vivian forgot all about Aira's injury and, with no small amount of empathy, she gently brushed the tears from Aira's cheeks, comforting her.

"Oh, don't cry honey," she whispered softly, wrapping her arms around Aira's shoulders. "We'll get you back to them at first light, I promise. Don't you worry."

This hurt. It hurt so much that Aira felt like she could have exploded from the torment of her own emotions. She gently pushed Vivian away, forcing a sad smile.

Vivian smiled back and went back to working on the cut to her wrist.

"I heard you talking before you found me. You were worried about the wolves. Why?"

Aira hissed in pain as Vivian gripped her wrist. Vivian quickly let go and gasped in horror. "I'm sorry! I just—"

"You're strong," Aira said, trying to stay calm and composed despite the pain. She rubbed her wrist but offered her arm back to Vivian without hesitation. "It's okay, it was just a pretty strong grip."

Vivian looked up at Aira with what looked like surprise flashing through her beautiful eyes. Shaking her head, she grabbed the bandages and padding and started to dress the wound.

"Wolves can be dangerous," she finally answered softly.

"Shifters can be dangerous, you mean."

Vivian froze in place for a moment, her whole body tensing up as she heard the Aira's response. For a brief moment, Aira wasn't sure if she had pushed it too far with that comment.

However, her mother's tensed-up expression slowly melted away, replaced with a gentle smile that did not reach her eyes.

The woman finally looked up, and Aira wondered what exactly she was thinking at that moment. "Who are you?"

"You tell me."

*******

"Was she running from shifters?" Charlie asked. His words were hushed, but worried.

"I don't know. I had to let her sleep, Charlie." Vivian snapped. She sounded tired.

"They wouldn't be out here. This area isn't in anyone's domain."

"Charlie, that howl earlier, you know what it sounded like."

His low growl was enough to wake the entire camp. "A signal. It was a signal for something."

"If she knows something – something important – we need to get her and the kids out of here. We can't stay."

"And everyone else?"

Aira could see the outline of their shadows flicker against the light of the electric lantern.

Vivian shook her head. "What do we say? That there are giant man-wolves coming after us? We don't even know if they are coming after us."

"I'll be here." He sounded so sure. "I made a promise the day you rescued me, Viv, I promised I'd protect you no matter the cost."

"That was when you were a shifter, Charlie!" she exclaimed, her voice just above their previous whispering. "You knew the risk when you traded away that side of you."

"And you knew the risk as a L'ightat that you would never escape it if you stayed with me. But we both made choices, Viv, and we both knew the rules and the risks."

Aira covered her mouth, trying not to gasp and make anyone aware she was awake.

"When you became human, Charlie, you promised me that this would be done. That we wouldn't have to worry about our children. That we would be normal."

A howling in the distance made both stop and turn.

"Get in the tent," Charlie ordered, pushing Vivian towards the opening.

"The kids," she gasped, trying to get by him, but he wouldn't budge.

"I got them. Get the girl."

Aira tried to control her breathing, knowing exactly what was about to happen.

She sucked in a breath as she jolted up and out of the bed.

One thought stayed with her. Something Aleksandra had said.

"You can't change deaths plan."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

221K 11.3K 87
His dark voice trails down her spine, lighting a path of desire that renders her breathless. "If only I were in a position of no consequence." Alia's...
1.8M 89.2K 31
[Completed] Every Wolf Moon, humans are selected from each village to be sacrificed to the werewolves; creatures worshipped by humans as godlike figu...
64.7K 635 12
Suddenly, I feel a hand that intertwines mine. The touch is warm but still not enough to comfort me after the news I've just got. I feel someone is...
354K 20.4K 62
Bitten by a stranger she was trying to rescue, June realizes she is turning into a werewolf. An alluring man named Dom promises to help her as long a...