Long May She Reign

By squishabel

Lady Elena Sheppard of St. Andrews arrives at French court in order to serve Mary Queen of Scots as one of he... More

The Encounter
The Queen
The Ball
The Ride
The Argument
The Frost Fair
The Send-off
The Wound
The Engagement
The Treachery
The New Guest
The Celebration
The Guilt

The Introduction

8.1K 196 44
By squishabel

Elena's POV:

"Are you aware that there is a ball tomorrow night in honor of my arrival?" Mary questions.

"I was not. But I'm sure I will be forced to go," I joke.

"Oh of course you will be!" Mary laughs.

"Sounds like quite an event if it's truly all for you. Is there a theme you have in mind?"

"I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but everyone will be wearing all white. I have something I think you'll like," she says motioning to a servant to bring it in.

Mary holds up a beautiful floor-length silk dress with embroidered details all over it.

"Mary," I gasp, "It's beautiful."

"And it's all yours, please take it. It's the least I can do for practically forcing you to be my lady-in-waiting."

"Oh please, it is my honor to serve you. Besides, I get to spend more time with you."

"Loads more time than occasional visits at the convent on holidays. I'm glad you're here, truly."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The next evening at the ball*

Elena's POV:

The grand hall looked spectacular. Paper lanterns hung from the ceiling and candles filled the ballroom with light. Every table was adorned with a beautiful bouquet of yellow flowers that stood out against all the white in the room. There was a buzz in the room that you could feel.

Someone lightly touches my elbow and I turn around to see Mary beaming. "Isn't this amazing? I can't believe how many people are here!" she says.

"Well you are a queen," I joke. "It really does look beautiful."

Mary sees someone walking behind me and motions for him to come over. "Elena, have you met Sebastian? He's Francis' brother."

I turn around and am suddenly face to face with the same man I met the other day. Sebastian... nice to put a name to that face.

"Oh, I do believe we met yesterday. Only briefly, I'm afraid," he says all the while staring me straight in the eyes.

"Yes, Mary. I... we... um ran into each other," I say, mumbling through my words.

"Haha," he chuckles, "I suppose you could say that."

"Well, I'll leave you to it," Mary says with a light wave of a hand and a quiet giggle.

"So, I didn't realize Francis had a brother. I was here a few times when I was much younger, but I don't believe we met."

"Ah yes, well. I'm Francis' half-brother, bastard brother really. Catherine kept me well hidden and away from the castle when I was younger."

"Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I just-"

"It's fine," he laughs, "I have grown up and gotten past that. Anyways... you're new to court aren't you? Are you one of the ladies-in-waiting that arrived yesterday?"

"In fact I am."

"Oh there's no need to be so formal to me. I have no title, merely just the bastard son that's here because I am in my father's good graces."

"You're quite open about everything, really. Is that a coping mechanism you've adopted?" I say sarcastically.

"Possibly. Now that is the deepest conversation anyone has ever had with me. Would you care for a dance?"

"Again, rather forward."

"Too much?"

"I actually prefer it. So yes, I would love to dance."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 168 17
Season 1 when count vincent takes over the castle mary and her ladies manage to get out but not Catherine. What I wish had happened. Cathry Credit f...
10.3K 317 22
Mary had just sent Francis to Lola, her best friend who had betrayed her by sleeping with her husband. What happens when suddenly Mary, her Lady's i...
4.3K 189 7
π–πˆπ‹πƒπ„π’π“ πƒπ‘π„π€πŒπ’| Where Jade Hart live turns upside down when she meets Francis Valois the future king of France who can't seem to get her...
2.4K 52 12
This story will include bits from the show 'Reign' but most will be made up. The stories will be a bit different so not everyone will be in here. Qu...