The Introduction

Elena's POV:

"Are you aware that there is a ball tomorrow night in honor of my arrival?" Mary questions.

"I was not. But I'm sure I will be forced to go," I joke.

"Oh of course you will be!" Mary laughs.

"Sounds like quite an event if it's truly all for you. Is there a theme you have in mind?"

"I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but everyone will be wearing all white. I have something I think you'll like," she says motioning to a servant to bring it in.

Mary holds up a beautiful floor-length silk dress with embroidered details all over it.

"Mary," I gasp, "It's beautiful."

"And it's all yours, please take it. It's the least I can do for practically forcing you to be my lady-in-waiting."

"Oh please, it is my honor to serve you. Besides, I get to spend more time with you."

"Loads more time than occasional visits at the convent on holidays. I'm glad you're here, truly."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The next evening at the ball*

Elena's POV:

The grand hall looked spectacular. Paper lanterns hung from the ceiling and candles filled the ballroom with light. Every table was adorned with a beautiful bouquet of yellow flowers that stood out against all the white in the room. There was a buzz in the room that you could feel.

Someone lightly touches my elbow and I turn around to see Mary beaming. "Isn't this amazing? I can't believe how many people are here!" she says.

"Well you are a queen," I joke. "It really does look beautiful."

Mary sees someone walking behind me and motions for him to come over. "Elena, have you met Sebastian? He's Francis' brother."

I turn around and am suddenly face to face with the same man I met the other day. Sebastian... nice to put a name to that face.

"Oh, I do believe we met yesterday. Only briefly, I'm afraid," he says all the while staring me straight in the eyes.

"Yes, Mary. I... we... um ran into each other," I say, mumbling through my words.

"Haha," he chuckles, "I suppose you could say that."

"Well, I'll leave you to it," Mary says with a light wave of a hand and a quiet giggle.

"So, I didn't realize Francis had a brother. I was here a few times when I was much younger, but I don't believe we met."

"Ah yes, well. I'm Francis' half-brother, bastard brother really. Catherine kept me well hidden and away from the castle when I was younger."

"Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I just-"

"It's fine," he laughs, "I have grown up and gotten past that. Anyways... you're new to court aren't you? Are you one of the ladies-in-waiting that arrived yesterday?"

"In fact I am."

"Oh there's no need to be so formal to me. I have no title, merely just the bastard son that's here because I am in my father's good graces."

"You're quite open about everything, really. Is that a coping mechanism you've adopted?" I say sarcastically.

"Possibly. Now that is the deepest conversation anyone has ever had with me. Would you care for a dance?"

"Again, rather forward."

"Too much?"

"I actually prefer it. So yes, I would love to dance."