Truth Comes Second

By masonfitzzy

A sequel to Family Comes First by Mason FitzGibbon After Carrie telling the detectives about the abuse Tommy... More

A Quick Stop
The Gas Station
Interview and Tears
A Hideout
A Cigarette and a Beer
An Uncertain Future
Make Or Break Us
Out Of Options
Looking Back
The Photographs
One Step Closer
The Clean Up
The Letters
Sending Him Off
The Visitor
The Move In
Think About It
A Few Secrets
While I Sleep
Released
Home Sweet Home
A Rattle
Reunion
A Little Help
*Author's Note*
In Need of a Plan
Only Gets Worse
Lies
What Is Mine
Be Safe
Pushed Around
Identification
She's Not Home
A Bloody Discovery
More To Know
A Change of Plans
In The Truck
The Walk Over
Author's Note
In The Hotel
Him Before Me
Had To Be Done
The End

In The Hospital

172K 6.5K 6K
By masonfitzzy

Author's note: I've always been curious: anyone have ideas for a cast list?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie's POV:

The faint glow of the television filled my room. Hunter had dosed off in my arms and Lina was struggling to stay awake. She was in the chair next to me and slipping through the channels. A stack of pillows were piled behind my back and a collection of tube and wires left my body. My chest burned with every breath I took.

"What's this?" Lina asked as she stopped on a news channel.

A woman with her hair pulled back into a tight bun and a mic in her hand were standing in front of the hospital. The story of Carrie and I had been circulating across the country. People wanted to see and know about the two girls who survived the "unimaginable."

Kenny had been coming in and out of my room all day with vases of flowers. Strangers had been sending them as an apology. They should be apologizing for what the world had done to me before I met Jimmy, not the odd punishment Jimmy gave me.

"A new update has been released on the case of Juliet Miller and Carolyn Bishop," she said. "Carolyn has released a statement saying, 'these men are vicious. Tommy spent nights telling me about all of the people he's killed. I can't sleep until I know they're caught.'"

"Lies," I said.

Lina looked over at me and then back to the television.

"Carrie is spending her last night in the hospital as she is being treated from the wounds she claims come from a whipping," the reporter said. "Juliet is facing much more serious injuries and has yet been able to speak to the police. They believe the mental trauma she is going through is much worse than the pain she's in."

"Why do you even watch this stuff?" Lina asked turning odd the TV.

"I need to know what they're saying."

I really only needed to know what Carrie had been saying. I was going to defend my family, but if I had to lie I didn't want to get caught. The officers had been in my room trying to talk to me, but thankfully Kenny shooed them out.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Lina asked me.

I shook my head and bit down on my lips.

"Are you sure? We used to tell each other everything, Jules," she said.

"Don't call me that," I snapped.

Lina's eyes grew wide. I have barley been able to raise my voice above a whisper since I woke up. The fear made me snap and now my chest burned in agony. Hearing that nickname made Tommy's grimacing face flash in my mind.

'I'm sorry," she said before swallowing hard. "I didn't mean to upset you."

I looked down at Hunter's sleeping face and kissed his forehead.

"Can you put him back in his crib?" I asked her. "I think I'll go to sleep now."

Lina nodded her head and lifted Hunter up out of my arms. Kenny had brought Hunter in with a crib so he could keep me company. I just couldn't get out of bed to pick him up whenever I liked.

I settled myself against the pillows. I had to be careful not to move my leg.

"I won't be here until the afternoon tomorrow," she said. "I have to get alterations done to my dress."

When I had asked Lina about what was new in her life, all she told me about was Dan. They were getting married in less than three weeks. He had gotten her out of stripping and got her a job at his father's hardware store. He was her Prince Charming for that.

"No worries," I said. "The detectives will be here in the morning."

"Don't think Kenny will get rid of them?" she asked.

"I'll have to talk eventually."

"Okay." She gave me a faint smile. "You have my cell number so just call me if you need something."

"Okay. Good night."

"Good night, Julie."

I watched as Lina left the room and then continued to flip through the channels. All the stations were saying the same thing. They were all repeating what Carrie had told them.

I had to be careful when I talked to the detectives. They knew we were kidnapped and they knew about the punishments. I couldn't tell them about the killings or the meat. I couldn't tell them all about the traditions. I couldn't tell them about Noah and Taylor's family.

My mind raced, but my body was exhausted. I couldn't help myself from slipping into unconsciousness.

--

A finger gently stroked my cheek. My eyes fluttered open and I could see a silhouette leaning over me. I took in a sharp breath and my nose filled with the smell of soap and dirt.

It was Jimmy.

"Jimmy," I gasped as I reached up to touch his face. He grabbed my wrist and stopped me.

"Where's Hunter?" he asked.

"He's in the crib beside me," I told him.

I watched him as he let go of my hand and walked over to the crib. I struggled to push myself up higher in the bed. His back was to me, and he reached down and picked Hunter up. The moonlight began to fill the room, and he was no longer a silhouette.

He spun around and my heart felt like it dropped into my stomach.

It wasn't Jimmy.

It was Tommy.

"Give me my baby!" I screamed.

"Jules, don't worry," he told me. "I'm going to fix everything."

He grabbed Hunter's head and with a quick jerk he snapped Hunter's neck. The loud crack ringed in my ears. I started screaming and I struggled to get out of my bed. My leg burned and caused my eyes to water whenever I moved it. I wanted to save my baby, but it was too late.

--

"Julie," I could hear a voice say. "Julie, are you okay?"

My eyes flew open and I could see Kenny leaning over me. He was holding back his stethoscope with his hand to stop it from hitting me.

It was only a dream.

"I'm good," I said softly.

Kenny's lips lifted into a smile and he pulled a tray out in front of bed.

"I have breakfast for you," he said. He peeled the aluminum paper up off of the tray. It revealed a pile of mushy eggs, some greasy bacon, and two pieces of toast. "Nothing is more delicious than hospital food."

"Thank you."

"I know you probably haven't had good food in a long time. I overhead Carrie saying something about them starving the two of you," Kenny told me. "So if you ever want something from McDonalds or like Dairy Queen, ask me for it. I'll go get it for you."

"Thank you very much," I told him and gave him a faint smile. It had been so long since I had fast food that I forgot what it tasted like. "Can I have Hunter?"

Kenny reached down into his crib and gently placed him in my arms. I was so happy to see his great big brown eyes open. The same eyes Jimmy has. Hunter was alive and I was never going to let anyone hurt him.

"I'll check your vitals after you talk to the detectives," Kenny said. "They've been hanging around the waiting room for you to wake up. God, they're so annoying. I don't blame you for not wanting to talk to them."

I picked up the fork and began to push around the eggs on my plate. Hunter shoved his fingers in his mouth and drool was running down his chin.

"I'll let them in now," he told me. "I'll got get Hunter some formula or baby food from the kitchen."

"Thank you, Kenny."

"No problem," he said before leaving. "And good luck."

I bounced Hunter in my arms until I hear a knock on the door. I looked over to see a middle aged woman with a notebook and a tape recorder in her hand. Her blonde hair was braided down her back and she had a large pair of glasses.

"Hello, Miss Miller," she said. "I'm detective Jennifer Hopkins. Do you mind if we talk?"

�=_2��!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 315 18
"𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐛𝐞𝐫!" 𝗌𝖺𝗆 𝗒𝖾𝗅𝗅𝖾𝖽 𝖺𝗌 𝗌𝗁𝖾 𝗅𝗈𝗈𝗄𝖾𝖽 𝖺𝗍 𝖾𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗇 and y/n. "𝐰𝐡𝐲?" Tara asked as she cried. " 𝐰𝐞 𝐚𝐥...
3.5M 159K 88
I shouldn't have been walking around alone at night. I shouldn't have stopped and watch the obviously crazy man set the building on fire. And I sur...
263K 4.1K 25
☁︎ contains mostly little space chapters (♡) but there's a few chapters that doesn't (シ︎). ☁︎ hope you enjoy reading <3
51.9M 2.1M 88
The world had gone to hell long ago, taken over by the vampire race. In order to keep some sort of peace in our land, the Vampire Lords made a consec...