Connect

By LENtranced

Gumi Megpoid has never fallen in love. She has never felt her heart racing at the sight of anyone, and when h... More

1: Follow Your Friends
Connect: A Note
2: L-O-V-E
3: Fire Away, Fangirl
4: Basketball and Ice Cream
5: Friend or Fangirl
6: Shifting Focus
7: The Sore Loser
8: "Kagamine!"
9: Shopping With Fangirls
10: What's Wrong?
11: Free Ice Cream and Her Number
12: Twin Sister
13: Absence
A Second Note
14: "Don't Touch Her."
15: Resolve
16: Wounded Connection
17: Eight Days Before
18: "I love you."
19: Summer
20: Coping and Apologies
21: Visiting the Kagamines
22: The Same Space
23: Spammers and Sleepovers
24: In the Flesh
25: Naoki
26: "ilovecarrots"
27: Gone
28: Rooftops and Silly Tears
29: Somebody From the Streets
30: Boys Over Flowers
32: Pretty City, Pretty Girl
33: Quite the Distraction
34: A Burger and Fries and Fancy Chocolate
35: Browsing With the Boys
36: Driving Miss Megpoid
37: Blindfolds and Leeks (pt.1)
38: Blindfolds and Leeks (pt.2)
38.5: Update
39: Mission Accomplished?

31: "He Would've Smiled."

543 44 13
By LENtranced

So I still didn't know what the deal was with those flowers. I know, maybe I shouldn't care. I tried that but it stuck around in my head for the rest of the afternoon. After school, I finally caught Oliver at his locker, all alone and prepared to strike.

Not really.

"I have a question," I said.

"You look like you have a question," he said. He closed his locker and looked at me.

"It's...well, what were you doing with that bouquet?"

He looked down at his shoes. I felt my stomach churn.

"I'm sorry but I just had to ask you," I said. "You don't have to answer. Really. I just couldn't stop thinking about it. But...but it's your business and I respect that."

"Thank you," he said. He wasn't really smiling at me, but he looked like he was definitely trying to express something along the lines of a smile. "It's complicated...I just don't have it in me to explain myself again. I'm not really very courageous, or brave or anything."

"You're brave," I said this with a nod. "Brave enough to tell me that it's not my business."

"I didn't mean it like that..."

"It's okay, I didn't think it was harsh," I grinned at him. If he didn't want to tell me, then I'd have to get over it. I gave it a shot and he said no, so that was that.

That was awkward...

"Hey, Gumi, carrot muncher, almond cruncher!" Len hurried over to me, Miku following closely behind.

"Almond cruncher?" I repeated. He grinned and pinched my cheeks, catching me by surprise.

"He just wants to rhyme," Miku said. Len kept tugging at my cheeks. Oliver closed his locker and started laughing.

"They're so soft!" Len said. "Miku, give it a shot! They're like...they're squishy!"

"Uwah!" I pushed him back and rubbed my cheeks. "That hurts!"

"We're heading out," Len said. "You...have tutoring, right?"

"Yeah..." I slumped. "Sucks."

"Totally. Well, at least it's not everyday, right?"

"But still..."

Len rapped a fist against my head. "No buts. You need to study!"

"Yeah, but..."

"What did I just say, carrot muncher?"

I stared at him. He tapped my nose. I blinked and he laughed.

"Give me a call when you're done, alright?" He said, smiling.

I couldn't keep a straight face any longer. Like I've said before, his smile was contagious. We bumped fists and Miku hugged me.

"Love you," she said. "I'm sure you'll do awesome."

"Thanks," I said.

"Oliver, you coming?" Len asked the boy, who nodded.

"Well...thanks for understanding, Gumi," Oliver said.

"Of course," I said. "See you tomorrow."

I watched them walk away, downstairs and out of sight. I stood there for a moment, alone, before heading over to the library, where the tutor would be.

The library was pretty quiet after school. Pretty empty, too. I walked in, looking around and spotting a cluster of tables where a few teachers were sitting. There were about five students.

Well, I guess I'm one of the stupidest kids in school.

I walked over to one of the teachers. She asked for my name and I told her. She found me on the list and nodded before handing a large package to me. More homework, basically.

I found a seat next to some other kids. I didn't really know them but hey, we could be friends. We were all failures, after all. There was something we had in common.

I didn't really get a chance to talk to any of them, though. The actual tutoring session started soon after I had settled in my seat, and it lasted for three whole hours. There wasn't even a break.

"Since most of you will only be writing the exam that you failed," one of the teachers said at the end, "you already know what to study. Use this to your advantage and we'll help you review everyday."

Sure, I thought, with this massive pile of worksheets...

I left the library, my backpack significantly heavier, thanks to the huge worksheet package I had been given. I found it difficult to stand with proper posture, but I lugged it outside, the setting sun like honey against my features and figure.

Slowly, I walked over to one of the concrete slabs that stood right outside the school building. I sat down, pulled my phone out, and texted my mom.

Gumi: hey mom. Tutoring's over. I'm coming home, see you soon. xx

I grinned, sending it off, kisses intact. One for each cheek. Then I got up and kept walking, out past the field. The wind blew my hair in my face. I laughed a little. I didn't feel alone, in a good way.

The field looked sumptuous. I stared out at the green, splattered with sunshine, shadows dancing with the wind. I put my bag down to one side and ran out into the field, filling my lungs with the late afternoon air. It was so empty this late, after school, so inviting.

I laughed and ran as fast as I could, around and around, dancing, almost, jumping and then falling and rolling in the grass. If anyone saw, they'd think I was crazy.

But there wasn't anyone there, so I didn't really care.

Though, honestly, I'm not entirely sure what came over me that day. Maybe it was the three hours of being holed up in the library, studying. Maybe it was the setting sun, the wind, or maybe just how it was all so empty.

I didn't really care, though. I was lying in the field, blades of grass tickling the sides of my face. The sun made my skin tingle. I closed my eyes, grinning widely. I could make a habit out of this.

"This is perfect!" I yelled into the sky, my eyes still shut tight.

"I know, eh, pumpkin? It's better than I remember it!"

I sat up and looked around. There was a body lazing in the grass, pretty far away, but not too far. They waved to me: a grand, sweeping arm gesture that seemed almost too enthusiastic.

"I saw you running and dancing," he said once I was close enough to hear him without him having to yell. He picked at the grass for a second and then looked up at me again. "You looked pretty happy. Didn't want to disturb you."

My face flushed. Yuma had been watching. He probably thought I was at least a little crazy. But maybe he already figured that.

"Why are you here, anyways?" I asked him, not sure of what to say. He laughed a little.

"What, you didn't want anyone to see you like that? I'm sure you'd think it'd be less desirable if Kaito was in my place."

"Well...maybe," I said. "I don't know..."

"There's nothing embarrassing about it, though, Gumi," he said. "He would've smiled."

He lay down in the grass. I looked at him, and then hesitantly sat down next to him, crossing my legs.

"I know Kaito better than you do," he said.

"Well, obviously," I said. He was quiet. I looked down at the grass around me, at the dandelions scattered here and there.

"It's nice, isn't it?" He said after a few minutes. I looked back at him.

"Huh?"

"The view, the breeze," Yuma closed his eyes. "The sun feels so nice on my face..."

He pushed his hair back with both hands, out of his eyes, and let the sun slather his features with light.

"Yeah," I said, looking up and shielding my eyes with my hand.

"Mm," he folded his arms back, behind his head. I was quiet for a bit, running my fingertips along the grass. I pulled a dandelion out and blew on it. It took a few puffs to get all the fluff flying off.

"Are you going to stay here?" I asked him, quietly, after a few minutes. The sky was getting dark.

"Mmm...maybe," he opened his eyes, looking at me. His lips curled into a smile. "It's tempting. The sun's going but I've got a girl sitting next to me."

I scowled at him. "Well, I only asked you because I need to leave. My mom's probably worried."

"Oh," he sat up and brushed the dirt off of his sleeves. "So the girl's going, too. Just like the sun."

I groaned, loudly, just so that he'd notice. "You're disgusting."

"That's just your opinion."

"You need to get a girlfriend."

"Mmmmm..." He didn't really respond, just looked up. "I better pick up my things."

He stood up and dusted his pants off, then started walking away. I watched him for a few seconds before getting up myself and heading over to where I left my bag. Heaving, I pulled it on and then checked my phone, in case my mom had messaged me. She hadn't. I checked the time. I had spent about half an hour out here, so I figured it'd be best to tell her that I hadn't left yet.

Gumi: I ran into a friend outside school, so I haven't left yet. I'm leaving now.

"So I'm your 'friend' now, huh?" Yuma was looking over my shoulder, at my phone. I yelped and put it away.

"Looking at someone's messages isn't exactly polite," I said. "And besides...sure, we're friends."

"Well, sorry," he shrugged. "Guess I'm not as polite as you'd like."

He leaned forward, meeting my eyes, then suddenly pinched my right cheek. "Maybe you're just too sensitive, hmm?"

"Agh!" I pushed him back. He just laughed. His bag was thrown over one shoulder, and he held a couple of flower crowns in his left hand.

"I'm going home," I muttered, rubbing my cheek, then turning and walking away, out of the schoolyard. I heard Yuma's footsteps behind me, clops against the pavement.

He didn't say anything as we walked. I stopped at the bus shelter. He did, too. I looked at him, leaning against the glass, clicking away on his phone with one hand. One flower crown was on his head. The other swayed, in the crook of his arm.

"If we're going to be friends, then you have to learn to be less obnoxious."

He chuckled, eyes on his screen. "Don't think I can do that, hon."

I crossed my arms and stared at him. Whatever he was doing, he seemed really into it. His eyes flicked over to me.

"Yeah, I'm looking at girls," he flashed a grin. "The more, the merrier, eh?"

"Ugh."

"Hey. I'm kidding."

"Whatever..."

The bus stopped in front of us. I climbed on, paid the fare, and found the last vacant seat. Yuma sauntered in after me, flashed a ride pass at the driver, and grabbed a pole close by.

"I ride around a lot," he said.

"I see," I said, taking my bag off and putting it in my lap. I closed my eyes and fell asleep; it's not like I had to leave the bus before it reached the station, anyways.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 11.8K 133
Contains Len x Rin, Kaito x Miku, Gumi x Yuma, Gakupo x Luka. Len's been in class with her for almost a year now. So why does he notice her towards...
13.7K 459 19
A Len x Kaito story that mostly takes place in a high school setting, featuring angsty Len and bubbly Kaito.
3.7K 144 12
The introvert, Len Kagamine is the cutest guy in school, but at the same time the so-called playboy. That's what the others gossiped about him but he...
48.2K 2.5K 102
They say school years are the best days of your life. But they don't mention the emotional rollercoaster. Follow Miku, a girl with gorgeous teal eye...