Little Saint Bride [Death and...

By larissajay

~ retelling of Hades and Persephone ~ EVERY TEN YEARS, THE GOD OF DEATH TAKES A BRIDE. In the Kingdom of Mino... More

Summary: Little Saint Bride
Chapter One: the Bride
Chapter Two: Deathly Dowry
Chapter Three: The Underworld
Chapter Four: How Not to Seduce a Bounty Hunter
Chapter Five: The True Meaning of Undergarments
Chapter 6: Cave Canem
Chapter Seven: Terrible Puns
Chapter Eight: Death is Much Hotter than We Realised
Chapter Nine: The Kiss of Death
Chapter Ten: And Plan C is...?
Chapter Eleven: A Mask of Half-Baked Lies
Chapter Twelve: FYI Pillows Don't Talk
Chapter Thirteen: Unlucky for Some
Chapter Fourteen: Goddess of the Night...Primordial Deity or Prostitute?
Chapter Fifteen: Altered Egos
Chapter Seventeen: The Gift of a Chelsea Bun
Chapter Eighteen: Tea Leaves and Trespassers
Chapter Nineteen: The Sinner
Chapter Twenty: Brothers, Grim
Chapter Twenty One: Unorthodox Job Interviews
Chapter Twenty Two: Bad First Impressions
Chapter Twenty Three: Heated
Chapter Twenty Four: Ponies, Goslings and Fools
Chapter Twenty Five: Ghouls are for Fools
Chapter Twenty Six: Piercings in Difficult Places
Chapter Twenty Seven: Will O' the Wisp
Chapter Twenty Eight: Daughter of Spring
[Rewritten!] Chapter Twenty Nine: Elysian Fields
Chapter Thirty: Guilt Trip
Chapter Thirty One: Dragon's Breath
Chapter Thirty Two: And Back Again
Chapter Thirty Three: The Masked Pirate Grim Reaper
Chapter Thirty Four: A City of Shades
Chapter Thirty Five: Seeing Things
Chapter Thirty Six: The End of the Road, and Beyond
Chapter Thirty Seven: Speaking in Tongues [Full]
Chapter Thirty Eight: Nathaniel [Full]
Chapter Thirty Nine: Three Faced Witch
Chapter Forty: Stalemate
Great Sinner Queen
HADRIAN'S POV??
Bonus Chapter (Hadrian's POV): Tigress

Chapter Sixteen: Falling

15.1K 1K 132
By larissajay

Where have you been these last few days? My question lingers on the air, still damp from the splash of Hadrian's arrival from the waterfall. My husband laughs to himself, at some private joke, before saying, 'I was visiting an old acquaintance, shall we say.'

My eyes narrow. Acquaintance,  my ass. The way he said the word spoke tomes of hidden meaning, and my mind flits to secret lovers and irritation flickers through my core. 'Who?'

Hadrian takes my question as a game, and he leans towards me conspiratorially. His breath licks my face as he says, 'Why do you want to know?'

I squash the growing jealousy. This is a game I need to win. He's testing me, he knows he's irking me. He wants me to fight, not play.

I move closer too, placing a hand underneath the stubble across his jaw. Strangely, normal Hadrian is putty in my hands, yet Dark Hadrian had me curling up on the floor for belly rubs. 'Your pregnant wife is worried,' I murmur, and he laughs, deep and throaty. It's much more intimate than his previous sarcastic laugh, like my joke has brought forth happiness from his core.

How my ovaries weep.

'I can't take my pregnant wife anywhere dangerous,' he says, moving away from my hand. I'm disappointed. I had been enjoying the attention Dark Hadrian had poured on me, but the real Hadrian doesn't take those risks.

I snap, forgetting my plans to seduce and butter, going straight for the assault. 'Really, I just opened up to you, can't you do the same for me?'

The King grins. He's won. Now, he controls the conversation. 'That's not how opening up works...' He picks up the open textbook, rifled through, and looks at it pointedly. 'You have to earn my trust, Nerissa. Telling lies to the court about your pregnancy, breaking into my room...'

Damn, I hate being the loser. 

He pauses, looking at the door. 'How did you get in here?'

I shuffle. Do I give away my secret? He would learn of it anyway. 

'I bribed the maid,' I say, 'She thought I was coming in here to...you know...'

Hadrian snorts. 'You're good. Why are you so good? You're running rings around my court. I don't like it.'

I flush with pride. There's something deeply pleasing about the way he looks at me, renewed with respect mixed with desire. 'I like to have the upper hand. Why did you say I smelled like spring?'

I change tactics. If he won't tell me about one thing, I'll go attack on another. Now he's on the defensive, retreating hastily.

Hadrian flashes me an angry look. 'That wasn't me, that was the effect of using my power.'

'Ha! So you have been using magic!'

I am triumphant. I step closer, trying to keep my face impassive, but knowing a smile is flickering across my face. He has been using his powers, it's how he got back through the waterfall! But what was he using them for?

Acquaintance echoes in my head, and I push away the scowl. 

'Yes, but not in a way that concerns you or your brother.'

It's my turn to flash him an angry look. He's cutting me out, not letting me in at any angle. He's flirtatious and promising to speak to, but his intentions are becoming clearer by the minute. He's not going to let me help. He's not going to let me breach his walls of defenses. Why?

What's he so afraid of? 

 I stomp up to him, grabbing the book from his hands. 'If you won't tell me, I'll find out myself.'

I start to flick through the pages again, remembering the opening chapter telling me something about the waterfall. What had it said? Something important. Something that niggles the back of my mind, telling me there's another way to win this. Hadrian's annoying voice bursts through my thoughts as I focus.

'Leave it to me. You don't know anything.'

He tries to take the book from me, but I push away from him, furious now. He's controlling and condescening and I had been right all along. Pompous ass! 

'Don't you dare treat me like that!' I shout, shaking with subdued anger. 'I gave my life for this, I have a right to know what's going on! I'm not stupid.'

Hadrian looks at me coldly. 'You act like it.'

I seethe, but I allow the silence that echoes by, pretending to be engrossed in the textbook. Instead, the opening chapter washes over me as my brain is pounded by hundreds of dark, angry thoughts.

He doesn't respect me. I'm just a game to him. He'll never involve me in his work. 

Those three in particular keep circling around and attacking once more. 

Pompous ass. Irritating, despicable ass. Thinks he can sway me with his charms. Ass.

It half worked, a nasty voice reminds me. I hush it. I will not be fooled again.

Hadrian's anger is softening, and his glare changes to an unhappy look, the kind that realises he's said something wrong and needs to apologise. But he still stays silent, instead going to sit on his bed by the discarded towel, head on his hand. 

'The letters were all a lie, weren't they?' I ask suddenly, glancing up at him to catch his expression. Hearing my question, I see his face flicker with guilt. He was lying. 'You were never going to let me go out reaping with you, you just wanted to buy time...'

I wait, desperate that he'll protest, or deny my claims. He doesn't.

Hadrian sighs. 'I want you to go through the waterfall, not take on my battles.'

I'm bubbling with fury, but something about his words catches my attention. Through the waterfall. 

What?

'It's too dangerous. Humans shouldn't pass back into the mortal world, it leaves you open to become all manner of things. Ghouls, poltergeists...'

Through the waterfall...what else was there?

I stare down at the book, focusing my thoughts, when I realised I was staring right at it.

'...and you could end up being used as one of the dead against me!'

The book says,"Necromancers can be created, but it is extremely risky. They must travel beyond the waterfall and return, a feat said to be impossible for all but the King...". 

Beyond the waterfall and return, making me a necromancer. I wouldn't need to have sex with Hadrian to get power. I could have my own. 

I glance at the sexy haired man still ranting, and roll my eyes. Screw him. I had survived death, how hard could it be to do a second time?

I slam the book shut, making Hadrian jump. I sashay over to him, swinging my hips confidently, and giving him a lazy smile. 'I agree,' I say, placing the book in his hands. 'I don't need your help anymore. I think I will just go through the waterfall.'

Hadrian looks relieved, then confused. 'You're leaving? Just like that?'

'Right now,' I nod.

I stare down at my ugly dress. 'Except I can't die in this. Hang on.'

For the second time since meeting Hadrian, I begin to remove my clothes. Not in a sexually promising way, but the ripping-up-traditions kind of way. I feel much better once I can see myself in his long gilded mirror by his bed, wearing nothing but a dark camisole and cotton shorts. Then I pull my hair out, letting it cascade down my back in dark waves. Much, much better. 

Less like a doll, more like ready.

'What are you doing?' Hadrian's voice is slightly higher pitched than I remember. I smirk, crossing back to pick up the Necromancy volume once more, and flick through its contents. Nothing else on returning through the waterfall, it seemed. 

Literally-- to hell with it. 

I shut it. Then, I cross the room barefoot until I'm surveying the crashing waters once more. The current is swift, fast, churning. It's a wonder anybody makes it to the bottom, let alone return. The drop is so far I can't see the bottom, it's blackness. Craning my head upwards, I'm nearly hit by the downpour sticking my nose out to see the top. Again, it's so high I squint to make it out.

How big is this waterfall? I wonder. I can barely make out the top, and I can't see the bottom. It does not bode well. What if I can't make it back?

Maybe I should wait longer. See if Hadrian changes his mind about sharing information with me...

I shoot him a quick look, but he's behind me, as if ready to push me over should I hesitate. Damn him. I'd show him, definitely, but I was risking everything to do so. My bare toes over the edge, I realise that any easier alternative had been buried by my enthusiastic proclamation, my confidence in not needing him, and my desperation to obtain this power by myself.

'Nerissa,' his voice calls. It's the first time he's said it so powerfully. My back shudders, feeling his breath against my neck. What seems like hours ago, he'd been kissing it, running his hot, wet tongue along it...

Stop it. That wasn't him. He said so himself.

I step towards the edge, feeling myself start to shake. I hate heights, I'm discovering. Each of my toes tremble as I keep my balance, the tightrope walker about to step over her hundred-foot-drop.

Except my goal is to drop. 

My stomach somersaults. 

'Stop being stubborn!' Hadrian hisses, and real anger laces his voice. He grabs my shoulder, spinning me to face him. I'm astounded, and teetering just a little. Spray hits my back, soaking my camisole and shorts so that they cling to my outline. Hadrian is still in his goddamn boxers, and as I step forwards to avoid falling, we're suddenly very, very close. 

But this isn't Dark, Sultry Hadrian-- and he looks as shocked as I do. His tight shorts are inches away from my own bare legs and tiny briefs, and I lean my chest away so my breasts aren't touching him. In hindsight, that's probably what I should have done-- thrown myself at him, and returned to my bedroom conqueror plan. Not the plan when I leap off cliffs for the second time.

But I do not have hindsight. In fact, I barely have anything. I'm numb, except I'm on fire, and water is trickling down my body and my face, and I want nothing more than for Hadrian to touch me again.

He's playing you. He's playing you like a goddamn lute, and you're loving it. He wants you to want him, to give in, to come back. But then he'll leave you standing, you'll be in the same position you've been for the past few days.

But why is he stopping me from doing what he wanted? 

'Why?' I whisper, voicing the question pounding my head. Why aren't you letting me jump? Statistically, I won't be coming back. Nothing more to worry about. Nada. Gone.

I'm still leaning, and this time, my foot follows, my heel reaching over the edge. Jump before I can change my mind. Like on my "wedding" day. I've done it before. I'll do it again.

I didn't have a sexy man staring at me in hunger then, though, did I?

'You're doing this to prove me wrong,' he says, and his teeth are clenched so tight I swear the muscles in his jaw are turning white. 

'So what if I am?' I say back, barely hearing myself speak. My heart is too busy thudding, and I'm pretending it's because of the drop behind me, not the hottie in front of me. Jump now. Jump. 

He doesn't answer. He takes a step forward too, catching my hand like a trap. He pulls on my arm, demanding my return. 

Temper flares again, quelling the desire. Momentarily. 'I'm not a toy,' I cry, 'And this isn't a game to me. So what if I jump? You'll get what you want.'

His breath hitches. He steps forwards again, and now our bodies are pressed together in this macabre romance, and I'm wide-eyed, staring straight at his ice blue irises. My back is still soaked from the waterfall, and his hands circle my waist. I wonder if it's another attempt to pull me away, and it works. I lean against his hands, enjoying the hot sizzle they leave against my wet skin.

But they're not pulling me away. His hands are going underneath my camisole, slipping against the small of my back. I let out a gasp; his hands are like flames, sending a spark right up my spine. I arch into him, and my eyes widen further when I realise his pelvis is bulging against me.

No way...my seduction is working?

Now, of all times? 

He sees my change of expression, and an odd mixture of relief, torment and predator pours through his eyes, flaring his nostrils, widening his smile. 'You don't understand what I want,' he gushes, his voice thick and heavy and conflicted.

This isn't like it was with Dark Hadrian, who had numbed me of any response. This Hadrian feels real, and I feel alive pressed against him, drinking in his own madness and heightening it with mine. The two of us forget about the waterfall, the threat of the jump. My hands circle his neck, any inner thoughts squashed by this overwhelming urge to taste his lips on mine again. His own hands press down, one cupping the small of my back, the other roving downwards, clutching at my hip so close to my butt cheeks that I'm certain it's the next step. 

We kissed once, both of us remember. Each stares at one another's lips, hung in the air an inch or two. His mouth is slightly parted, and my own lips are reaching to meet his. 

It's not like when I had been with Dark Hadrian. This Hadrian is mine, and I feel in control and powerless at the same time, and the rush of adrenaline and joy are unparalleled.  Like the universe has finally set me down and said, here is your match.

And we are now a flame.

'Why don't you explain it to me?' I whisper, but my words are no longer shy and confused, but meaningful and clear. 

Kiss me.

Hadrian doesn't protest. The doubt in his eyes vanishes like I suppose mine had. He dives down, his lips striking mine.

The effect is instantaneous. The nerves in my lips are firing as I feel his hot mouth against mine, crushing and powerful. They're locked so tightly as we move over one another that it's hard to believe we'd spent days parted, and now we're pulled back together it's like we're trying to merge into one another. 

He bites my lip playfully, and I make a guttural noise that sends him into a further frenzy. His hands do roam-- suddenly, they're both on my butt cheeks, pulling me into him, tipping me off balance. 

My tongue bursts into his mouth, feeling his roving against mine, our bodies trembling in the fervour of the moment. I can feel his arms shaking as much as mine, his whole body warm and desperate.

My eyes are shut, but the world feels in focus. The beauty of the moment astounds me, filling my core with a happiness I'd never felt. Water raining around us, Hadrian's body moving against mine, his strong thighs opening my legs and pressing between. The friction sends a further ripple of warmth through my body, and I shudder, my head falling backwards.

The movement seems to send Hadrian over the edge. Our lips part, and he pulls back, eyes wide. In that split second, something changes in his resolve. He moves to grab me, to lift me into his arms, to take me-- where? I don't protest. I go limp as he braces his muscles, read to carry me like his princess, and my arms still circling his neck, stroking his face, telling him to go on.

Grateful, he leans in to kiss me once more, but it's the same powerful force that sweeps us, our lips crashing like a tide that drags us further beneath. And that's when our balance goes; I'm in Hadrian's arms, my feet are stumbling, and the weight of his kiss  has sent me-- literally-- over the edge.

One wrong footing, that's all it takes. My bare feet slap the wet stone, slipping, going-- and then one foot is grappling with thin air. My weight is in Hadrian's arms, and I'm pulling him over too. Our kiss breaks, but our eyes lock. 

We scramble not to fall, but we'e too lost, still entangled in one another's arms as we hit the force of the water. It throws us apart, and I catch one last glimpse of his terrified eyes as we hurtle downwards together.

---

Sorry for that cliffhanger.

My ovaries had to take a break.

-Lets out deep breath-

What did you think? Hot enough? Or do we need to go hotter?

What do you think is lurking beyond the waterfall-- or is Nerissa thoroughly dead and that's the end of the story? ;)

If you're waiting for more adventure and romance, check out my other work Equinox, a fantasy novel about angels that's nearly completed and needs lots of love!

please VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE (if you liked!)

Larissa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

324K 9.4K 52
UNDERGOING MAJOR EDITING Castiel is an only child of Hades and Persephone. He's a Demi-God, arrogant, spoiled, with a heart turned black ins...
679K 33K 15
| A Wattpad Featured Story | Hades was well-cast to rule over the land of the dead. But what if Hades, the fearsome monarch of the Underworld was...
196K 5.3K 39
Persephone has already been kidnapped by Hades, her unwanted and unexpected suitor. Demeter has already cast a famine on all the humans in her grief...
654K 19.3K 55
Pandeia, the daughter of Selene and Zeus, lived happily in her mothers realm. She was loved by all, even Ares, who didn't like anyone at all. She was...