Narnia- Life Out Of Shadowlan...

By ZahraQ

In this short prequel and a sequel to the Chronicles Of Narnia - The Last Battle, new mysteries are weaved, s... More

Prologue
Ch:1 Arrival (Part 1) : Lucy, Eustace and Jill
CH:2 Arrival (Part 2) : Susan and Sarah
Ch:3 Comparisons
Ch:4 The Gifts
Ch:5 The Warning
Ch: 6 Out Of Shadowlands
Ch: 7 Susan
Ch:8 Tea
Ch:9 Morning Revelations
Ch:10 Further Revelations
Ch:11 Taken
Ch: 13 Her Story
Ch: 14 'Things'
Ch: 15 If
Ch: 16 King's Pond (Part 1)
Ch 17: King's Pond (Part 2)
Ch 18: Parcel
Ch:19 Coriakin
Ch: 20 Friends
Ch: 21 Warriors
Ch 22: Cursed
Ch: 23 Allies and Enemies
Ch: 24 Fear, Love and Rage (Part: 1)
Ch: 25 Fear, Love and Rage (Part 2)
Epilogue
Announcement!
Epilogue: A New Beginning on the Horizon

Ch:12 The Pledge

1.9K 39 12
By ZahraQ

Chapter 12

The Pledge

Two days.

Two days exactly since my brother was taken away from me.

And here I was, sitting alone on the beach just outside Cair. All alone, yet not alone. Every moment that I spent in this place called heaven, I could feel Aslan closer to me. Every breath that entered or left me. Every thought that passed through my brain. Everything around me, told me that He was with me as much as he was with my brother. It comforted me but did not satisfy me. I wanted my baby brother back here. Happy and sound, with the people he loved and who loved him.

I looked at the Great Eastern Sea stretching before my eyes, the moon shinning brightly overhead. An ocean of molten and fused silver and sapphire. The waves broke gently against the sand, just touching my feet. My eyes wandered farther away towards the many islands in it. Before Edmund had been taken away, Caspian had promised to take us on another voyage of the Dawn Treader so that I could see the undiscovered extent of Narnia.

Lady Swanwhite and Lilliandil had eagerly been planning with Lucy and Jill to take everyone who has come into the new Narnia recently to see the wonders that made this Narnia better than the shadowlands. To see what makes this place heaven. This place had been like a grand long festival before we came. Feasts and dances held every night. Everyday better than the previous night. Every night better than the previous day.

All before my Eddie had been taken away. Now, there was absolutely no sound. Every creature on this land surprised and shocked at what had happened. No one had thought that problems existed here. No one had even seen Aslan after that. If everything in shadowlands happened according to His will then why couldn’t Aslan do something here, in his own land. Yet, we all rested our faith in Him and looked for guidance from Him in this time of difficulty.

A strong yet gentle breeze blew around me and with it came a summon. A summon from the Highest King, Aslan. I stood up and started walking at a brisk pace. This pace, which would have taken me to my destination, Cauldron Pool, in three months, took me there in a few breaths time.

Aslan, Golden and Majestic in His Lion form, was waiting for me there. I knelt before him, unable to keep standing before his magnificence. He placed one heavy paw on my head and all my brave facade broke. I clung to him and started crying. My grief at loosing my brother and remorse at being unable to do anything to stop it. Grief and remorse made me cry till I had no more tears to shed. Then broke through my anger and hatred. Anger at myself and hatred for Tash.

Grief, remorse, anger and hatred, each trying to overwhelm the others and me, tired me out and I sagged against Aslan. Aslan breathed upon me. As His sweet and comforting breath spread over me, something changed within me. The grief, remorse and lonliness I felt as Peter Pevensie fused with the anger, hatred and determination I felt as High King Peter. The emotions which were earlier fighting agaisnt each other now merged into one another, overpowering and smoldering each of my weaknesses and rebuilding them into a lethal weapon. I instinctly knew that this change had strengthened me; forged me into a person I did not know I could become.

“Rise, Sir Peter Wolfsbane.” Aslan voice gave me added strength and I did as I was told. “High King over all the Kings of Narnia. Supreme Commander of Narnia’s army in this battle.”

I stood there for a few moments, trying to understand what had changed. I looked at Aslan as he smiled. It was then that I realised the weight of the responsibility that I had to shoulder. I was to lead Narnia’s army against Tash and his followers.

“And I am sure you will carry out this responsibility very well.” Aslan knew my worries and doubts. “For you will be doing it for your brother.”

I remained quiet finding comfort in Aslan’s voice and words. Then, unable to control myself, I asked him the question I had wanted to ask him since these past two days. “Aslan, if this place is heaven then why is all these things happening here?”

Aslan smiled and answered. “Why can’t all this happen here?”

“Uhh..” I thought about his question for a moment then answered from my heart. “This is not how we imagined heaven to be like in the shadowlands. In heaven there was no wars, no problems, nothing.” When I looked at his wisdom filled eyes, I felt like an ignorant child. “What is heaven Aslan?”

“What is heaven?” He repeated the question. “That is a question whose answer you have to search for yourself. And when you have done so, you will find yourself in heaven.”

I contemplated his answer. Then, knowing that I will understand the answer when I was supposed to, I asked yet another question. “Aslan, how is Edmund?” I hung my head and answered my own question. “You will only tell me my own story.”

“Indeed my child.” Aslan laughed and after a moment of silence he said, “Now, I think, it is time for you to go and sleep. We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow.”

“Will you be announcing you warriors tomorrow?” I looked up at him.

“Yes.” He said and after that I walked back to Cair Paravel, reaching there faster than I had thought. I had not expected to fall asleep but sleep overtook me the moment my head hit the pillows.

Next morning, I woke up feeling refreshed as usual. Getting dressed quickly, I made my way towards the terrace where we usually had breakfast. As Oreius had cancelled our training this morning, I had taken the liberty of rising after the sun.

“Peter, wait for me.” Lucy said as she hitched up her long dress a little and ran towards me. Together we reached the terrace where Mum and Dad were already present.

“Where is everyone else?” Lucy asked.

“Professor Kirke and Ms Plummer are with their friends King Frank, Queen Helen, Fledge and others.” Mummy replied. “I don’t know about Jill and Eustace.”

Mum and Dad both had a calm look on their face. However, I knew better than to believe that they were calm. I knew what they were doing and why. Mum and Dad were putting up a brave face just to assure us that nothig was wrong. This was a thing which we had done many a times during our reign. Putting on a brave face to prevent others from loosing hope and despairing.

I ate the food kept on the table. The food kept before me was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted but the only thought that came to my mind right now was ‘Edmund would have loved it all’.Dad lightly patted me, knowing full well what was bothering me. I looked up and gave him a small smile.

I was the last one to finish my food. Just as I finished my last bite, a tremor of summon blew through the air. I hurriedly wiped my mouth with a napkin and we left for Aslan’s How, the place where we had been summoned to. Don’t ask me how we knew where we had been called, for I will be unable to explain it. We just knew.

I was mildly surprised to see that everyone had been summoned. When we arrived there, people made way for us so that we could reach the front. Dad stood beside me all the time and Mum did not leave Lucy’s side. Caspian came and stood with his wife Lilliandil on his other side. I could now see everyone assembled there.

Once everyone was there, people began to rearrange themselves, as if knowing where to stand. Some unknown voice told me to keep standing wherever I was. I listened to it and others began to arrange themselves with me as some kind of landmark.

Dad came from my left to my right and Mum came and stood between Lu and me. The people who had lived during our reign came and stood behind us according to their ranks. Oreius was standing just behind me. Rulers came and stood in line on either side of Lu and me. Those who had come before me on our left and those who had come after us on our right. The people who had lived during sometimes of strife like Great Winter or Telmarine rule stood behind their deliverer.

Aslan was there, facing us and patiently waiting. Once everyone had reached their place, Aslan addressed us.

“My dear children,” He began. “We have a war looming in front of us. A war to save Narnia’s Just King. However, any who is unwilling to fight can leave any moment. His prestige and courage will not be harmed or doubted.”

One look at the determined faces of the people standing around me, I knew no one was about to leave. Aslan continued, “This war you all will be fighting is going to be different than any that you have fought before. Once the war starts, surreneder will not be an option. If you surrender, every soldier will be sent to Tash’s world forever.

“Each side will have twelve warriors.  The war will come to and end with the fall of all the warriors of either side. If the warriors of this side die first, King Edmund will forever be trapped in that world. If we win, King Edmund will be returned back here.”

I felt hope bubbling inside me. Maybe we could win and get my brother back.

“The warriors on our side are High King Peter, the Supreme Commander of the army.” Here Aslan looked at me and I took a step forward before getting down on my knees.

“King Gale” At Aslan’s word, he too took a step forward and bowed.

“King Caspian X” Caspian acknowledged Aslan’s command and did as we had done.

“Queen Swanwhite” I was slightly surprised when she was selected as history did not speak much of her fighting abilities. But then I let it go. Maybe her beauty had overwhelmed the historians so much that they had hardly paid attention to her other abilities, as had also happened with Susan.

“General Oreius” Oreius bowed in the Centaur fashion.

“Sir Reepicheep”, Reep unsheathed his sword and bowed.

“King Tirian” Tirian too unsheathed his sword and bowed.

“King Cor of Archenland” Cor, solemly bowed in the Archlandish way.

“Queen Lucy” Mum and Dad, did not react at all, trusting Aslan, as Lucy got down on her knees gracefully.

“Lucy, the Dryad” It took us a moment to figure out who was Aslan adressing but we found out soon enough when Scarlett bowed. Then I remembered that Scarlett’s real name was Lucy.

“Sir Kanell” Kanell, the massive black Centaur bowed just like Oreius.

“And King Edmund” When Aslan said Edmund’s name, we were all shocked. How can he be one of the warrior while being imprisoned? However, none of us voiced our confusion knowing full well that if Aslan has done this, He has done it for a reason.

After explaining other things for the war, Aslan stepped back and called me up in front of everyone. I had no idea what was I supposed do. It was not a custom or anything that to call on the commander of the army to speak. I just stood there. Queen Swanwhite was the first one to step forward.

Unsheathing her long dagger, she stood in front of me before gracefully getting down on her knees. In that kind and enchanting voice of hers, she began taking The Oath.

“Apna hathiyaar, apni nishta, apna sharir, apna vyaktitvay aur apni aatma, samarpit karte hain hum aapko, aye mere Maharajdhiraj”

I recieved a major shock when I heard Queen Swanwhite’s word. She had taken the oath which we all had known as the Ultimate Oath of fealty. The oath none of us had taken before anyone but Aslan. And here she was, taking such a binding oath before me. That was not all though. With her everyone who had been standing behind her, that is, her people, also bowed pledging themselves to me through her.

King Gale was next. Caspian too followed. One by one, each ruler did so, and with them, their subjects. I was rooted to the spot. Were they joking? No, this was not a joke. This oath has been considered the most solemn oath ever and no one had dared to take it before anyone but Aslan. Only to Aslan can someone pledge oneself so completely.

Even Lucy pledged herself and through her everyone from our reign along with Mum, Dad and Sarah did so too.

Once everyone was down on their knee after pledging themselves to me, I slowly turned towards Aslan. I will pledge myself to Aslan. Give myself over to Aslan and with me everyone who had just pledged themselves to me.

I was looking at Aslan when I realised that I could not give myself over to Aslan. How could I give myself to someone who had created me. It would be like plucking an apple from a tree and gifting it back to the very same tree.

Aslan smiled at me and realization dawned on me. Getting down on my knees, I pleadeged myself: “Apna hathiyaar, apni nishta, apna sharir, apna vyaktitvay aur apni aatma, samarpit karte hain hum aapko, aye Narnia’s Justice, my Brother Edmund.”

[A/N: I know there is not much in this chapter but consider it as the quite before the storm...

I wrote this chapter in real hurry and had no time to get it edited for  mistakes, so please spare me.

Also, please do vote and comment if you like it. They keep me going.  :)

ZQ]

Next Chappie up!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

157K 4.3K 31
We all know there was something between Caspian and Susan. But it didn't last. She had to leave Narnia and never return because she had learned every...
141K 3.4K 25
Peter, Edmund, and Lucy never forgot about their true home in Narnia, unlike their sister Susan. They never thought they would return, but they woul...
218K 5.4K 62
Completed A Peter Pevensie Story Stumbling upon an entire new world just behind a door, Aria had her prophecy written from ancient times and it was n...
2.8K 72 22
- FAN FIC: Narnia - Lucy is eighteen. Eighteen and bored of normal life. But she and her three siblings have a secret. They are high Kings and Queens...