Dream Catcher

By SheHopes

[COMPLETED] (BOOK I IN THE DREAM SERIES) Dani Deleon has a problem. With a single touch, she can see people's... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
The Final Chapter
Epilogue

Chapter 25

52.9K 4.2K 738
By SheHopes

Despite its name, The Pony House was a far cry from cowboys and country music. When live bands weren't playing, the DJ usually served up a rotation of contemporary dance records. Neon lights advertising the different varieties of liquor lit up the establishment whose main floor was lined with booths for patrons to relax and drink or watch the inebriated dancers. Tonight was a live performance night and the Booty Pirates had a new set they wanted to try out.

"Should we add in some keyboards?" Belcher asked. "I feel like the first song is missing something."

"Nah," Freddy shook his head as he put down his electric guitar. "It sounds good as is. Keyboards would make it sound eighties. We want to be fresh."

"Good thinking," Belcher was sitting at the edge of the small stage they performed on each week. "Man, I can't wait 'till we make it big. We'll have money, women, and nonstop tours."

Freddy laughed, "What's this about women? I thought you just wanted one woman."

"Dani?" Belcher grinned. "I know you joke about Dolores but Dani is pretty hot. The way she always avoids people touching her. She's so shy. It's kind of cute. Don't you think?"

"Cute? Yeah, I guess she is," Freddy said.

"Well don't get any ideas. I already called dibs on her."

Freddy just shook his head and chuckled, "I'm not going to compete with you for a woman. After we're famous, we'll get our fill of them."

"You never know...she could be the one that you know...breaks our band up."

"I doubt that."

"Why do you say that? You really have no interest in her?" Belcher asked.

"If you think Dani Deleon is special to you, then she is. Personally, I think we should be focusing more on our music."

"We're always focused on music. Don't you ever get tired of living this rock and roll life? The groupies are nice but I need stability. We're getting old, Freddy."

"You're not exactly old at twenty-four and I hate to burst your bubble but we don't have groupies."

"Yes, we do," Belcher insisted. "Remember that ginger that wanted me the other night?"

"The redhead? I thought you said she was engaged," Freddy laughed.

"So?"

"Whatever you say. But first, let's finish setting up for tonight."

They both turned when the side door to the club opened. It was still too early for patrons.

"Hey man this is a closed area," Freddy called out.

"I'm Detective Roberto Montoya. I'm looking for a Travis Monroe," Roberto flashed his badge.

Belcher's eyes widened, "That's me. Is something wrong? How did you know my real name?"

"Did you get caught selling pot again?" Freddy asked. "They can't search you without a warrant!"

"Shut up," Belcher whispered.

Roberto pointed at Belcher, "That's right. I've seen you at the diner before. You have that weird nickname. Listen, Barf Bag-"

"It's Belcher not Barf Bag!"

"Like that's any better," Roberto muttered. He cleared his throat and smiled, "I'm not here to search you. I just had some questions."

"I don't trust him, Freddy," Belcher said softly. "No pigs can be trusted."

Roberto's eyes narrowed, "You insult me one more time and I'll show you how dangerous we pigs can get."

Freddy crossed his arms and lifted his chin, waiting for Belcher to respond.

"Questions about what?" Belcher asked.

"Do you know a woman named June Danvers?" Roberto asked, watching Belcher's facial expression. No hint of recognition showed.

"Should I know her?"

"A little birdie said you were the last to talk to her while she was alive," Roberto explained.

Belcher felt a twinge of fear, "What?"

"You heard me," Roberto said. "What happened the night of the twenty-fifth?"

"The twenty-fifth?"

"This is important Mr. Monroe."

Belcher shook his head, "I don't know a June Danvers but we had a gig here that night."

"What time was the performance over?" Roberto asked.

"Probably around one in the morning. We play late every night."

"And what did you do after the performance?"

Belcher struggled to remember, "I don't know. Normally we pack our gear and call it a night."

"I need to know facts. Not what you think you did."

"No way," Freddy said. "Is this serious? No one's trying to play a practical joke on us right now? You're a real cop?"

Roberto ignored him, "I need to know what happened between you two."

"How can he answer that when he doesn't know who she is?" Freddy asked. "Are you trying to frame him? This smells like a trap."

"And what exactly does a trap smell like?" Roberto scoffed.

"I don't know. Tell me what cologne you're wearing and I'll tell you," Freddy said.

"I seriously don't know a June Danvers," Belcher repeated. He turned to Freddy, "Do you know a June Danvers?"

Freddy shook his head, "No, and I'd remember a woman named June. That's my favorite month."

Roberto pulled out a photo of the redheaded woman to try and spark a memory for Belcher. He cursed when he saw the photo.

"You remember her now?" Roberto asked.

Belcher nodded, "Yeah she was here. We talked for a little while. She was one of those groupie chicks. She doesn't care who she hooks up with as long as you play an instrument. Not my style. We talked for a bit but that's it. I finished my set and then we went home."

"Can anyone corroborate that story?"

"Freddy."

Freddy's eyes widened before he cleared his throat and nodded, "Yeah. I was with him. It happened exactly like he said."

Roberto asked him a few more questions before handing them his business card and giving the parting words, "Don't leave town."

Back at her apartment building, Dani noticed Derek's door was opened as he stood in the hall, his arms crossed, eyes closed, and his head pressed against the wall of the hallway. As she and Jax stepped closer, he opened his eyes and looked in their direction.

"What's going on?" Dani asked.

Derek shrugged, "None of your business."

"Hey pal-" Jax took another step forward..

Derek gave up, "I'm sorry. I'm just a little stressed. You were right, Dani. Billy's missing. I don't know where he is. He wasn't at his parents. He usually answers my phone calls but he hasn't in the past few days. I don't know what's going on. It's like he suddenly vanished into thin air. On top of that, I think someone has been breaking into our apartment."

Dani peered into the apartment to see two officers looking around. One of them spotted Jax and waved.

Jax nodded, "You boys find anything interesting?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary. College texts about forensics, some classical CDs, instruments, comic books, nothing too interesting. He had a few e-mails from the Owens woman but nothing unusual."

"Tammy Owens?" Jax asked.

The officer nodded, "She said the last she saw Billy was in class. He hasn't picked up any of her calls either."

Jax turned to Derek, "Did you know this woman, Tammy Owens?"

He shook his shead, "No. I don't know everyone that Billy has met. This is so frustrating. People just don't disappear. You have to find him."

The officer nodded, "We're trying our best."

"It's not good enough! What if he's hurt or has some kind of memory loss like they do on soap operas or something?" Derek dragged his palms across his face.

Dani felt a pang of guilt for Derek. Perhaps he wasn't as coldhearted as she thought, "Don't worry Derek, they'll find him."

Derek rolled his eyes, "I'm going for a walk."

Dani and Jax watched him shuffle down the hall and out the exit that lead downstairs.

"Well he's not taking this too well," Jax said.

"I found some keys!" an officer called out.

His partner frowned, "We'll wait until his roommate comes back to tell us what they're for."

Dani piped up, "If they're a gold color, I can tell you where they go to."

The partner stepped forward, "They are."

"There's a greenhouse on the roof of this apartment building. It's the only nice thing about this place and not everyone has access to it. Billy usually takes care of the plants there."

"Thank you ma'am. We'll be sure to check up there next," the officer smiled.

Dani and Jax entered her apartment. She turned to him and suddenly felt very awkward, "I'll be right back. I just need to change."

Jax nodded, looking around. There were two pictures of her as a child with her father. He was about to ask why her mother wasn't in the pictures but she stepped out of her bedroom in her waitress uniform, "Alright, I'm ready."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Jax asked. "You may be serving the Maestro tonight."

"I serve all sorts of people. Who knows what dirty secrets they're hiding? Besides, I already sleep in fear...I don't want to live in it."

Jax nodded, "Are you ready Panda Eyes?"

"As ready as I'll ever be, Apple Jax."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 505 39
Book Three of The Deadly Series. Danica is changing, evolving, becoming something more, or perhaps something less. Without Alex, she can't be sure...
105 11 16
Dream hunters, unfortunate lucid dreamers who solved crimes by dreaming through the dead eyes but there was something unusual in their process that n...
2.2K 476 48
When an evil force from a parallel dimension threatens her world, a college student with supernatural abilities realizes that insomnia is the least o...
417K 20.7K 93
BOOK TWO of the Hunted series. As the events of the mating ceremony call friendships and relationships into question, Emily feels confused and confli...