This is Glek

Від varzanic

(Sequel to Beloved) Helix is at war, and they're loosing. Tobias is called to the front lines to lead his men... Більше

(Part 1) Chapter 1: Trouble
Chapter 2: Fashion Statement
Chapter 3: The Emperor's Banquet
Chapter 4: Counter Attack
Chapter 5: Suspicion
Chapter 6: A Scorned Pet
Chapter 7: War Declaration
Chapter 9: Will and Testament
Chapter 10: Gone
Chapter 11: Gift from God
Chapter 12: Taming the Devil's Pet
Chapter 13: Thanos
Chapter 14: Forget
(Part 2) Chapter 15: Saving Your Neck
Chapter 16: Mending Helix
Chapter 17: Unsynced
Chapter 18: The Devil's Return
Chapter 19: A Monster
Chapter 20: Worthy of a Reward
Chapter 21: Demons
Chapter 22: Mind Games
Chapter 23: One Shot
Chapter 24: Until You've Killed Someone
Chapter 25: Bits and Pieces
Chapter 26: Headaches
Chapter 27: Mountain Cat
Chapter 28: Wake-Up Call
Chapter 29: The Final Beast
Chapter 30: One Must Die
Chapter 31: Underground
Chapter 32: To Hell with It
Chapter 33: Beloved

Chapter 8: Valorous

7.7K 600 74
Від varzanic

Chapter 8

Valorous

"You're going to call me as soon as you, right?" I tightened my hold on the general.

"The moment I'm able to." He lifted my chin and kissed me softly. "I'm going to take care of this and then we can go home together."

"You promise?"

He pressed his lips to mine again. "You have my word, Raja."

I smiled at him and gave him another squeeze before letting go. He joined the other officers.

"Bye," I said with a wave.

Tobias saluted and walked with the others into the shuttle.

"He'll be fine, Raja," said the emperor standing with his arms folded. "I nominated him as the general because of the his inability to die." He shook his head. "Growing up, I can't recall all the times I tried to kill him and failed." Grabbing Sora's hand, he left the loading area.

I stood there alone for a moment, watching the doors. A woman tapped my shoulder and motioned in the direction the emperor had gone. With a sigh, I followed after them. Tobias was a man of his word. He'll come back for me, I knew he would.

***

One of the emperor's dog with spines sticking out from his fur running along his spine to his tail, dropped a red ball at my feet. I picked it up and threw it across the lawn. Sora was sitting on a blanket with a pen and paper.

"Raja?"

"Hmmm..."

The dog returned and I scratched his head, taking the ball. I hurled it off through the air toward the pond.

"How do you say this word?"

I wandered over and sat down beside him. "Perseverance."

He sighed and muttered the word over and over as he wrote it.

"What is this?" I looked at the book he was copying things from.

"The emperor is attempting to try and improve my reading and writing," he breathed, wiping his hair out of his eyes. "Every word I don't know I have to write ten times and then later he'll help me with the definition."

I glanced at his list. It was rather long. "Tobias helped me a lot, but I knew how to read fairly well before I came to Helix."

"I didn't." Sora slumped forward. "It's too hard." The boy pressed his palms to his eyes.

The dog returned. I picked up the ball and tossed it again.

"I'm sure Eric will get you a tutor if you really need one."

He sighed. "No, he says it's time I start practicing on my own, and if I have any questions to just ask him."

"I'm sure you'll be fine then." I stood and waited for the dog to return.

It took off toward the house instead, barking and wagging its tail. The emperor turned the corner followed by a couple women holding a basket.

"Oh no," Sora groaned. "I'm not finished yet." His pen hit the paper, and he frantically scribbled down words.

The emperor nodded to me as he passed. "Raja. You boys haven't been getting into trouble, right?"

"Nope."

"Sora?" He eyed his pet.

The white haired boy held his tablet to his chest. "I'm not done yet."

"I gave you all week," said the emperor.

"I'm sorry. I forgot. I'll get it all done. I promise."

Eric shook his head and sat down. The two went over Sora's list. I knelt on the edge of the blanket and watched as the women unloaded the basket.

"I thought we might have a picnic."

The lady with silver hair passed me a sandwich.

I unwrapped it and took a bite. "Has Tobias messaged you yet?"

Eric shook his head. "He's been busy lately."

Sighing, I grabbed a handful of carrots from the container. Six months and besides a short hello three weeks after he first left and two messages, I hadn't heard from him. The man was making me nervous. This had been the longest stretch yet.

"What's this word?" Sora pointed to his book.

"Valorous."

Sora repeated it. "What does it mean?"

"Well," Eric thought for a moment. "It means someone with valor, with hero like qualities."

I glanced over to see him scribble down the word hero next to it. Eric was right, he needed to work on his penmanship. For an emperor's pet, his handwriting was a muddled mess. A man was hurrying across the lawn toward us. Eric's pocket started to vibrate. He kissed Sora's cheek and stood.

"I expected you to have your work done by tonight."

He nodded, biting his bottom lip. "Yes master."

Eric turned to the women. "Once your finish take them inside."

"Yes your majesty." They gave a bow as he went with the man inside.

I watched them leave and kept staring at the house.

Sora groaned and rubbed his eyes. "Why can't this be easier?"

"We have the wrong men as masters," I said softly. "if we're hoping for life to be easier."

***

Sora was finishing up his words as I lounge about on a fur rug by the fire. For a moment, it reminded me of home. The door opened, and the emperor entered. He sat down on the couch with a sigh, waving Sora over to him.

"Bad news?" I asked.

"Everything is fine, Raja," Eric assured me.

"If it were fine, Tobias would be back already," I said under my breath, staring up at the ceiling.

Eric shook his head and put his arm around Sora. "You really are a difficult man."

I sucked in my cheek. "The general rubbed off on me."

"Well if you like, you can tell him all your worries yourself." He nodded toward the door where a man stood holding a phone.

Jumping to my feet, I raced over and snatched it from him. "Tobias?"

"Hello, Raja."

"You're okay? Everything alright there? No danger, or anything like that, right?" I said quickly.

The general chuckled. "Everything is fine. You?"

I stepped into the hall and wandered toward my room. "Ready for you to come home."

"Ah Raja, you can't be punishing me like that."

"You deserve it," I said sharply. "You're ignoring me."

"Ignoring you," he scoffed. "I am quite busy, Raja."

Entering my room, I went to the bed. "I know." Letting out a heated breath, I flopped down on the mattress. "It's just..." I rested my hand over my eyes. "Why can't you finish this and come home?"

"I'm trying. I really am."

I rolled onto my side. "I guess you were right, I do act pretty selfish at times."

He laughed. "I spoiled you. Though you were pretty selfish when I first bought you and it's just gotten worse over the years."

I scowled. "It always surprises me why you thought it was so funny that I called you the devil when you constantly treating me like shit."

"Raja," he said sternly with a hint of humor to his voice. "None of that, you'll sour that pretty face before I see you again."

"Hmmm..." I replied not amused. "Do you have an idea when that'll be?"

He sighed. "As soon as I'm able to."

"Just tell me you have no idea."

"I have no idea," he chuckled. "But maybe tomorrow I will."

We were silent for a moment. I listened to muffled voices coming from the other side.

"Raja?"

"Yes..." I traced the pattern on the comforter.

"I love you, and I'm going to come back for you. I gave you my word, remember?"

I swallowed hard. "I do, and you're a man of your word."

"Yes I am. I have to go now."

"Okay, and I love you too."

"Thanks for the moral boost, be decent for Eric."

"I'll try," I said with a laugh, attempting to lighten the mood. "Bye."

"Bye."

The line disconnected. I tossed the phone to the foot of the bed and sprawled out over the pillows. I had spent most my life waiting around for men, and I was sick of it.

***

Boredom. I could take sitting around doing nothing for another day. I glanced over from the couch to the table where Sora was muttering along as he read his book.

"Let's do something."

"I have to finish this."

"I'm bored out of my mind," I groaned, pushing back my hair. "Eric won't mind if you take a break."

He peered over at me. "I'm finishing it." Sora turned the page and went back to reading.

Sighing dramatically, I sunk down into the couch.

"What did Tobias have to say?"

"Just letting me know he's still alive." I folded my arms. "And don't expect him anytime soon."

Sora moved his hair out of his eyes. "Still, it's nice of him to call."

My head rolled to the side. "Has the emperor said anything to you?"

He shook his head. "My master treats me the same as yours. I'm just a pet, so there's no point in worrying me about the technicalities of politics."

I smiled. "The last part sounds a lot like Eric."

"It's his favorite thing to tell me when I ask." He mouthed the words to his book as he read.

Laying over the armrest, I stared at him.

Sora started to fidget. "What?"

"Come on, let's do something fun for once."

"Like what?"

I gave him a grin.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "My master is very busy today, so if it's going to bother him, then no."

"You just eliminated everything." My head flopped forward with my arms dangling alongside it.

"Go outside if you're bored. There are far less things for you to break out there."

Rolling my eyes, I stood. "Fine, I will."

"Okay," he replied, his eyes never leaving the page.

"You need to test the limits more, Sora." I opened the door. "This overly obedient attitude is really a downer."

"For you," he shot back.

Muttering to myself, I left him alone and went outside. It was just as boring out there. I walked down a paved path that led to the garden. Checking to make sure a gardener wasn't nearby, I picked a large purple flower and sat down on a bench. I started in the middle and pluck out the petals one at a time. Finishing one, I snagged another. A pile soon formed at my feet. I didn't know how many more days I could spend wasting away here. Half a year had already passed, and who knows, the war might take years to finish.

I tossed the stem into the bushes and kicked the pile of petals as I stood. Shoving my hands in my pockets, I marched deeper into the garden. Tobias was the only family I had left. I really would be all alone if something happened to him. I stopped and pressed my lips together. They'd send me home, back to sector 31. I did miss my father and brothers. My nephew would be all grown up. I probably had more nieces and nephews, I didn't even know about.

Turning sharply, I started back toward the house. I made my choice, though. I wanted to be with Tobias, and I still do.

"Raja!" called Sora.

I spotted the white haired boy running across the grass. I guess he finally got sick of reading the boring government books that Eric gave him.

"Raja come quick!"

I slowly walked over. "What'd you do?" I asked with a smirk.

Sora looked flustered.

"For once it isn't my fault too," I laughed, folding my arms.

"I'm so sorry." He bowed his head, sucking in his lips. "There's been an attack."

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

97.6K 4.9K 29
(OLD VERSION) A soul, wishing to be free of its confines. A kingdom, harsh and unwilling to unlock the chains. Davian was taken from his home from a...
66.1K 2.5K 68
Pulled into a war he never asked to be a part of. Landon Barnett was groomed from birth to succeed his father as the next Alpha of the Regency Falls...
384K 10K 18
A Prince kidnapped from his Kingdom to be the slave of the soon-to-be King of the rival kingdom. Collin is feisty and non-compliant, and Phyias is lo...
1.1M 38.4K 42
Matthew is sixteen years old and finally in a stable environment, after being in multiple foster homes. But then he gets kidnapped and his whole worl...