Chikara (Divergent Fanfic)

By Kinborough

Chikara (力) is the Japanese term to describe "strength, power". This term expresses itself throughout the sto... More

Adelaide "Popper" Foster
Prologue
(Author's Note)
Chapter One- First Impression: Naive
Chapter Two- Tough Teachings
Chapter Three- Warming up
Chapter Four- Showing Vulnerability
Chapter Five- The Morning of Station Day
Chapter Six- The Afternoon of Station Day
Chapter Seven- Pulling a Few Strings
Chapter Eight- Capture the Flag and An Unfortunate Event
Chapter Nine- Last Day?
Chapter Ten- When New Fears Appear
Chapter Eleven- Explaining to Four
Chapter Twelve- Invitation
Chapter Thirteen- Disagreements and Unwanted Encounters
Chapter Fourteen- Sprouting Feelings and a Personal Mission
Chapter Fifteen- A Decision Had to Be Made
Chapter Sixteen- An Unneeded Argument and a Special Night
Chapter Seventeen- Morning Thinker
Chapter Eighteen- Vulnerable, Yet Touching Moments Are Always the Strongest
Chapter Nineteen- No Backing Out
Chapter Twenty- Reality of it All
Chapter Twenty-Two -Person of Interest
Chapter Twenty-Three -Understanding
Chapter Twenty-Four- Nothing With Inflection
Chapter Twenty-Five- Eric and Four's Personal War
Chapter Twenty-Six- Patches
Chapter Twenty-Seven- For the Past Few Days
Chapter Twenty-Eight- Quick Last Events
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Selfishness
Chapter Thirty- Going as Planned
Chapter Thirty-One- Away We Go
Chapter Thirty-Two- It's Okay
Chapter Thirty-Three- Oh, The Irony
Epilogue
An Author's Announcement!

Chapter Twenty-One- Slipping

192 11 3
By Kinborough

Lucas and I sat on the couch, sipping the peppermint tea he made for the both of us. No words were said due to the tenseness in the air. Particularly coming from me.

The events from earlier played in my head like a film. The fakeness from Jeanine, the serum demonstration, and the smile Eric had on his face when he shot Malcolm point blank. I knew that Eric had the ability to be violent, but I didn't think he could be severely hostile.

Right now I was upset with myself. Upset that I made the stupid decision to not only get involved with this plan, but to also have a death sentence along with it. Upset that the man I thought I liked just happened to enjoy killing innocent people, even though he didn't have the right information that was influencing his actions.

"Adelaide?" Lucas asked in a low voice that was loud enough for me to hear.

I shook my head, "Sorry, I was thinking."

"What about?"

I sighed, "Just how stupid I am."

Lucas's eyebrows furrowed. I guess it was unusual for me to say something like that. I always knew that I was intelligent, but this proves that even that has downfalls of its own.

"What's going on, Adelaide?"

I shook my head and looked down. I wanted to tell him, but at the same time I knew that it would end with his body being pulled out of the Chasm.

"Lucas, can I ask you something?" I asked, turning my head to look at him.

"Anything."

I sighed, "If you knew there was a situation that ended in people dying, what would you do?"

Lucas looked at me with a perplexed face, "Why would you ask me that?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why-"

Lucas was interrupted by the sound of the front door slamming. Rushed footsteps came through the door, and a shadow on the floor grew smaller. Both of us turned our heads to see a frantic, yet relieved Four. Once his brown hues met mine he instantly ran over and kneeled next to me, checking my wrists, my neck, and my face.

"You saw what happened?" I asked.

He nodded, "Zeke called me down after the simulations and showed me the footage. Eric didn't do anything, did he?"

"Nothing physical, even though I have to admit he does have a strong hold on my wrist."

Lucas chuckled lightly at my attempt to lift up the spirits, but it didn't work in Four's book. I understand why it wouldn't with his past with Eric. The jealousy, the hate, and the anger they had back then existed now, and everyone could see it.

"Anything mental? Emotional?"

I cringed as the thought of the conversation Eric and I had ran through my head. Mental? Maybe. Emotional? Definitely.

It looked like Four took that as a yes, since his arm nudged in between the armrest and body before curling it so his hand wrapped around to the front of my stomach.

"What happened?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I'm not supposed to-"

"Adelaide. I don't care if you don't want to tell us because it endangers our lives. Just tell us, and we'll all figure something out."

I looked over at Lucas.

"We have heard rumors," Lucas said, looking at me with concern.

"What rumors?"

"About why the leaders have been meeting so much."

My brows furrowed, "How?"

"It's just gossip. People just need something to talk about because they have nothing better to do. However that doesn't mean they are always wrong. I don't know a lot, but I think Four would."

I nodded, looking at Four with a poker face, "What have you heard?"

Four sighed, "That Dauntless are hunting Divergents and plan to dispose of them."

He only knew the basic necessity of the plan. The picture was much bigger than he imagined.

"Adelaide, is this true?"

I looked down, and just nodded, "I tried to convince them to look into the potential of them, and to think of a way they could benefit the way we live. But, they wouldn't listen to me. I tried to back out of it, but the ending result would be me being thrown into the Chasm, or even shot by a sniper."

Four and Lucas were quiet for a while. I didn't know whether it was from the shock that our Faction has agreed to do this, or that I somehow got stuck within this mess. The only thing that could be heard was the sipping of the hot liquid Lucas had made before.

I heard a sigh come from Lucas, "So, we just need to help these Divergents?"

"There's a lot more to it than that," I said, giving Four my empty mug so he could place it on the coffee table.

"How so?" Four asked.

I sighed while rubbing my face.

"We can figure this out. Adelaide, tell us what's going on," Lucas asked desperately.

I was silent for a couple minutes before speaking.

"They plan on annihilating Abnegation and the Factionless with a Dauntless army."

I swear that in that second both of them turned into Pop Eyed Molly's. You know, those weird fish that look like their eyes are about to pop out of their head? Imagine that feature on Four and Lucas.

"You're serious?" Lucas asked.

I nodded, "And apparently they are trying to get the Special Ops involved. My dad was supposed to be at the meeting, but had matters relating to his promotion that kept him from coming."

"Why are they doing this?" Four asked quietly.

"Apparently that's where the Divergents are most commonly found. Erudite thinks that Abnegation is harboring these Divergents and plan on using them to attack with the help of the Factionless. So, in response Erudite wants, with the help of Dauntless, to eliminate them, and then take over as the governing faction."

"So Erudite is using this opportunity to control the government?" Lucas asked.

I nodded.

"But how do they expect to have all of Dauntless to agree with this?"

"They have made something they call a 'tracker device'. It will be injected into their neck right after the rankings for the third stage have been announced. The device is supposed to put the member into a brainless trance. In that time, Erudite will somehow be able to control them through a computer and have them do their bidding. None of the Divergents will be in the trance, which will allow a Dauntless leader to easily recognize them and kill them on the spot."

Lucas rubbed his face and dug his fingertips into his hair, "Shit."

"What is your role in this?" Four asked.

I sighed, "Well, the original plan that Max wanted me to follow was to get close to two suspected Divergents. He wanted me to get close to Tris and you."

Four's breath hitched. I knew what he was thinking.

I continued while turning toward Four, causing his arm to rest on my leg. "Max suggested that I got into a relationship with you to get closer to you. However, believe me when I say this, I wasn't going to go into a fake relationship. When we went on that date on the rooftop, it felt as if a hole in my emotion filled up. As cheesy as it sounds, it's true. I didn't have to be this rough, tough fighter. I could be myself around you. And I loved that. I really do like you, Four. Please believe me when I say that. I will tell you everything that I've told them as an update if that's what takes you to believe me."

Four looked into my eyes as if he was looking for a fakeness within what I said. But I wasn't lying. I personally thought that either way, Four would be pissed off at me and leave me in the dust to cool off. However, that wasn't the case. Instead, I felt Four's hand slip from my leg and went to hold my hand.

A couple tears were welling in my eyes as a small smile flashed on his face.

"I believe you," was all he said for reaching up wiping a tear that slyly dripped from my eye.

I smiled before reaching down and gently kissing his lips, trying to pour all of my love into it. Pulling back, I smiled and looked into the brown hues of the man I think I loved.

"However, I'm going to take you on the offer."

I nodded, "Anything for you."

"So," Lucas said uncomfortably, "what's the plan?"  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 45 31
A Candor girl known as Stella Thorn begins her adventure to try to get the most out of life and figure out who she really is. Her aptitude test is th...
324K 6.4K 26
COMPLETED (EDIT: In the process of being rewritten! Some of the writing might have you cringing! New chapters will be uploaded once they're all edite...
8.4K 134 16
||Set pre-Divergent. I own nothing except for Tempest (Storm) Eaton, her plotlines, and some side characters that don't belong to Veronica Roth.|| ||...
10.5K 797 29
●●●●●【 T H E O T H E R P R I O R 】●●●●● Sixteen year old, Alivia Prior finally chooses her faction. But here's the news: she's Divergent, j...