New Girl {Shawn Mendes}

By smendeslol

"Who's the new girl?" "She's not that new. She moved here when you left." "How do you know her?" "She's my gi... More

1. a new beginning
2. helping hand
3. couple skate
4. an old friend
5. acquaintances
6. two sided story it all depends
7. helper
8. i'll leave with you with a melody
9. something lost
10. old-fashioned twist
12. surprise makeout
13. take me to bed
14. roundhouse kick
15. let it flow
16. cheater cheater
17. secret phone call
18. accusations

11. your yoda i am

14.4K 504 386
By smendeslol

Al's POV

I feel someone touch my arm, making me jump out of my skin. "Hey, do you need some help?" I turn to see Shawn smiling at me, as he takes a few of the piles of blankets out of the closet.

I stare at him in confusion. I could've sworn I was just outside with the watch party of Laur and Shawn make-out city. Maybe it was just a daydream?

"Al? You okay?" Shawn asks as his eyes search my face for an answer.

I blink my eyes a few times before smiling. "Y-yeah, I guess I just zoned out for a second there," I explain, shaking my head.

Shawn smiles and nods towards the back door. "I think we better head outside before people start thinking things," he says, heading towards it.

"Wait," Shawn stops and turns around, cocking his head to the side a bit to understand my next few words. "Shawn, why did you come inside? When I left you were sitting with Laur-"

"It got really awkward," he interrupts. I look to him and see him shift in his stance, an easy suggestion as to how uncomfortable he feels on the topic. "She wouldn't talk, she just sat there staring at me and I just felt really out of place without you,".

I smile and turn around to close the closet door with my foot. "That's kind of ironic considering how you barely know me, but they are all your childhood friends," I say bluntly. As soon as it leaves my mouth, I realize that maybe it was a bit harsh for him to hear. "I wasn't trying to be rude-"

"No, yeah. It's fine. Sometimes, the truth is needed, even if it hurts," he says. For a 16 year old, this guy sure is wise. Maybe he's learned a couple things since he's been touring and getting into the music business.

I smile and nod at him. We kind of just stand there, with piles of blankets in our hands, looking at each other. It didn't feel weird or awkward or uncomfortable. It just felt normal.

I notice the time passing by as we just stood there so I pass Shawn to walk out the back door to outside. Nothing was like my dream a few moments ago. Everyone is chatting up one another and it is the complete opposite of silent. The only thing that didn't change was Laur, who was making out with Brian on the log Shawn and I sat on earlier. This still counts as a version of déjà vu, right?

I begin to walk around the circle of students and hand out the blankets, seeing who wants to share and who wants a blanket for themselves. As I'm doing this, my mind travels back to my daydream. Why would I even imagine Laur smacking lips with someone she clearly dislikes? More importantly, why was I so upset in the dream?

I hand out the last blanket of my pile to Mel and Heather. I look up and notice Shawn awkwardly giving the couple making out a blanket to share from his pile. The face he makes causing me to try my hardest to not laugh. I shake my head at the scene and pivot to walk to the s'mores supplies table. I obviously lost mine to someone, which I may be a bit upset about, but I am going to make sure I at least have one s'more this evening or else.

I bump into someone's chest and step back to rub my nose. "Dork,". I look up to see Ian, my lips pulling into a big smile. I practically lunge onto him, knocking us both to the ground. Ian groans under my body weight. "Nice to see you, too," he coughs as his hands wrap around my waist.

"Sorry, I thought it would be really romantic, but all I really did was give you a few broken ribs," I kiss his cheek before rolling off him so we can stand up.

"Nothing broken, but maybe bruised," Ian comments, smacking the dirt off his khaki shorts. He sighs and then looks at me for a second, eyeing my clothing. "Is that my favorite sweatshirt?"

"Maybe," I poke his side and smile at his chuckle. "I think it looks better on me," I say, pretending to model it off for him.

Ian pretends to take pictures of me, before pulling me into a big hug. "I love it on you," he whispers into my ear.

My cheeks turn red hot as I bite my lip to suppress my smile. "Guess I should wear more of your things often,".

"Mi closet es su closet," he says, pulling away from the hug and wrapping his arm around my shoulders as I wrap mine around his waist.

"Wow, I really am turning you into a dork," I comment. Ian laughs as we walk to the s'mores table. We checkout the table and notice the chocolate bars were all gone. "Guess I won't be having a celebratory s'more this year," I sigh.

"Celebratory? What kind of person celebrates going back to school?" Ian asks, scrunching up his nose.

I gesture to all the people around the fire pit. "Apparently, all your friends,". Ian nudges my shoulder, a giggle leaving my throat.

"Took you long enough to get here,". I look up to see Shawn and Ian do a handshake with each other. Shawn's face beaming with relief to see his old and true friend here.

Ian grabs a graham cracker and eats it while nodding. "My mom made me do the dishes before I could come here," he says with his mouth completely full.

"Where are your manners?" I say, slapping his arm.

"At home," he replies, crumbs from the cracker escaping from his mouth. Shawn and I shake our heads at Ian as we make our way to find a place around the campfire. Luckily, there was a bench long enough for the three of us.

I plop down on the bench, the boys sitting down on the other side of me, Ian next to me and Shawn next to him. Ian wraps his arm around my waist, instinctively making me scoot closer and cuddle into his side. Shawn and Ian chat for a bit, before Laur stands up to talk to the group.

"I just wanted to thank you all for coming tonight, even those of you who weren't invited," Laur glances in our direction at Shawn. I look over to him and see him staring at the ground with his jaw clenched. Poor guy.

"Anyways, as we celebrate our last few days of freedom, I wanted to remind you of the roller rink get together the night of the first day of school. Brian and I will come around with some drinks for everyone as our last hoorah as Sophomores. Here's to our junior year!" It's not until Brian hands me a red cup that I realize what's kind of drink she was talking about.

I sit up from cuddling with Ian and sniff the drink. "Um, I don't really drink,".

"Yeah, me neither," Shawn admits, dumping his drink into the dirt.

"I'll drink your drink for you then," Ian says, taking my cup and pouring it into his.

I shake my head at him as he takes his first. "Please don't be one of those angry drunks," I nudge him a little.

Ian smiles at me before kissing my forehead. "As long as nothing happens to you, I promise,". I return his smile before facing back towards the fire, laying my head back on Ian's side.

About a half hour and several drinks later, people started to get a bit loose with one another due to the drinks. They were shouting loudly and doing a bad job of dancing, which never failed to raise the question as to why Laur's parents didn't realize that we were drinking. Even if they did know we were, why did they let us?

Ian keeps trying to kiss me, which is a bit awkward seeing as he's a bit drunk. Not only is the PDA part of it turning me off, but the stench of alcohol on his breath does not make it any more attractive. Shawn has been on his phone during most of this time, trying to ignore Ian's teenage hormones as much as I have been.

That was until I felt his wet warm lips on my neck. "Ian," I gasp, lightly pushing his chest so he would back off a bit.

"What?" He slurs, leaning in to attack my neck again.

I push him even harder this time. "Ian, seriously. Please stop,".

"Oh, come on, Al. Don't be prude," He argues. I would be lying if I said that that didn't hurt.

"Ian, come on, man. No means no,".

"Back off. She's my girlfriend," Ian snaps his head towards Shawn.

We both stay silent, unsure of what to do with Ian's current drunk state. I've never seen Ian drunk before and this change of attitude is definitely not one of my favorites. "I think I'm going to go home now," I get up from my spot, prying off Ian's arm from my waist.

Shawn stands up. "Yeah, me too,".

"This is your fault," Ian says to Shawn, his hands curling up into balls of fists. "If you would just let people have some fun for once,".

"Shawn had nothing to do with this. You did. You caused this upon yourself,". I start towards my house, but stop and turn around. "You can have your favorite sweatshirt back. If you keep acting like this, I don't think I can wear your things proudly anymore," I pull his sweatshirt over my head and throw it on his lap, thanking past self for putting on a camp top under the sweatshirt.

Ian doesn't say anything as he stares at the cup in his hands, giving me the cue to continue on my way to my house. Then I remember how Shawn said he was going to go home, too. "Here, I'll walk you up the drive," I offer, nodding at him to follow me.

"Thanks," Shawn smiles and we walk in silence up to the curb. "Hey, what you did with Ian back there," he starts. "That was pretty cool of you to stick up for yourself like that,".

I feel my cheeks get a bit hot and my stomach start to turn. "I've never really have had to act like that with him, but I'm kind of glad I did, too" I sigh. I sit down on the curb and stretch my legs out in front of me. "He's never acted like that with me either," I confess.

"Alcohol does that to some people," Shawn says, sitting down next to me. "I'm sure that when you wake up tomorrow, you're voicemail will be filled with apologies,".

I nod and smile at Shawn. "Are you my teenage Yoda or something? Here to train me about life and the force that comes with it?"

He laughs. "I consider myself more of a Forrest Gump kind of guy," I nudge him and playfully roll my eyes. We both turn to notice a car's headlights as it comes down the street. "Well, here's my bus to go see Jenny" he continues with his joke.

"Goodnight Shawn," I giggle, waving at him. I start to walk back to my house before I get a thought in my head. Why not, right? "And, Shawn?"

He turns around to face me as I jog back up to him. I quickly kiss his cheek and whisper "Thank you," as I leave him stunned in the drive way. I feel the dorkiest smile of all time plaster onto my face as I jog all the way up to my house, my mind racing almost faster than my heart rate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 264 30
" You shouldn't have done this Mendes. And now you will be guilty for your girl's death. "
1.7K 127 81
"Hey I'm Shawn, nice to meet you" he smiled holding a hand out to shake mine. "Hi I'm Lauren" I smiled back shaking his hand.
3.9K 64 15
"What are you thinking about?" "How beautiful you look in my hoodie." july 11, 2019
118K 5.9K 147
He said he loves me. Shawn actually said the words I've never wanted anything more in my life, yet for some reason...it doesn't feel right. Is it b...