My Fishy Boyfriend- (Under Re...

By gypsygirl19

Melodi Manghorn has always been somewhat alone. Living with only her father, who doesn't respect her even the... More

My Fishy Boyfriend
My Fishy Boyfriend 1
My Fishy Boyfriend 2
My Fishy Boyfriend 3
My Fishy Boyfriend 4
My Fishy Boyfriend 5
My Fishy Boyfriend 6
My Fishy Boyfriend 8
My Fishy Boyfriend 9

My Fishy Boyfriend 7

114 1 0
By gypsygirl19

Melodi's P.O.V (Exciting I know)

As I watched Clae duck down into the pool, I my gaze travelled throughout the cave. I sighed and crouched down to the floor, sitting on the edge of the pool letting me legs drape into its cool waters. I blinked and frowned at my still human legs. I guess not this time. I wiggled my toes under the surface and stood back up, deciding I wouldn't mope about it any longer.

My eyes flickered to the candle in the corner and I shut my eyes tightly.

My mind immediately swam towards my father. When I was little I had received a scar from him. He was drunk the night our power when out. So I had set up candles so we wouldn't completely be in the dark. He had been angry with me for talking back when I asked about my mother. My father had grabbed the candled and swooped the flame over my upper arm. I ran outside to our backyard crying and clutching my arm tightly. The rain mirrored me feelings as I sat in the downpour. The rain drowned out my sobs as I sat. I somehow never felt alone while the rain crashed onto the ground. I always felt like nothing could touch me while it rained.

I gasped as I recalled the burn and reached up to my arm, fingering my scar. The scar itself didn't leave as big of a mark than it did on my heart.

I placed myself carefully on the cot and reached into my backpack to snatch my sketch book. I breathed out steadily, What to draw?

I had always had a girft of drawing without my eyes. It's kind of wierd, well its more than wierd, its downright creppy for anyone who observes me. But I think of it as sleep-drawing.

I let my mind wander once again, careful not to trespass in unwanted areas. I thought of Grover and Clae at the diner earlier that day. I really needed to call him and explain. I shook my head and concentrated again, only this time, I dissected Clae carefully and started to draw.

Clae had a strong look to him but not bulky. I started with his firm set jaw, and the way he quirked his lips into a half smile. I gingerly took on his nose next and how it slightly turned down. Clae's eyes stumped me, I imagined them how I did as a child but it didn't cut it. I sighed pushing my hair away from my face with my quick breath. I opened my eyes to see of what had become of my sketch and looked at the eyeless Clae from his broad shoulders up.

I groaned heavily, I can't do this.

That was true, on many levels.

As if on cue, Clae stumbled through the mouth of the cave bringing the summer heat with him. I smiled brightly, realizing this my smile faltered and I starred back at my sketch book.

Why was I so happy to see him? I wobbled my head and looked back up at Clae.

"Hey, Whatcha doin'?" he breathed.

"Drawing." I said simply

"Is that me?" he asked surprised.

I nodded, "You sound surprised," I addressed him blankly.

"What's wrong?" Clae sounded alarmed.

My heart fluttered in my chest as I breathed. "Nothing, its just... your eyes," I muttered quietly.

"Would you like me to model?" he smiled warmly.

I shrugged, "Sure, but i don't really need it."

I cut him off by closing my eyes and drawing. I starred hard at the back of my eyelids, picturing his blue ones and sculpting them perfectly.

 I opened my eyes to find Clae starring at my with awe. I shrunk back a little and heard him gasp.

"Thats amazing, your truly a great artist."

I chuckled and looked down to my sketch book, a complete Clae was in front of me, eyes and all. I hadn't realized Clae was sitting so close to me until my knee got unexpectedly warm. Our knees brushed each others and I could feel my face heat. I turned away but he caught my face gently and trailed my jaw with his fingers. Clae started leaning in and I could tell, I instinctively did too. I could feel his ragged breath as our lips drew closer together. I slid my eyes shut as soon as our lips came together. Clae had a salty taste that I craved every time I got out of the ocean. I deepened the kiss as I brought my hands to his neck and hair. He grasped the middle of my back pulling me in. I slowly pulled away and opened my eyes.

 I peered at him in bewilderment. What? Why?

He gazed back completely disheveled, with hair sticking up on all sides. Clae looked absolutely unfazed as we looked at each other, but he still beamed with a unnatural gusto.

I giggled at his hair and bit my lip to force it back. Absentmindedly, I reached up to flatten his hair. He grasped my hand and pressed it lightly to his cheek. I blinked voluntarily as he gently closed his eyes.

"Melodi." he moaned. I furrowed my eyebrows, Clae sounded weak.

"Clae... Why?" I pleaded strongly.

"I'm sorry. I-... I shouldn't have done that." he tripped over his words worse than a newborn filly.

"No. It felt..." Clae cut me off, hoping to finish what I was going to say.

"Right?"

I nodded sincerely at his choice of word.

"It's the connection between merpeople, it's especially strong if neither has kissed a mermaid." he said, embarrassed and slightly regretful.

I dropped my hand onto my sketch book and tore out the Clae drawing. I realized then that Clae was very different than the Clae that I had just drawn. I handed my drawing to him and he nodded his own form of thanks. I stood up and headed for the cave opening but I turned back before I left through the bright mouth of the cavern.

I shut my eyes and exhaled, "Don't break my heart."

And with that I meandered out leaving Clae and what had just convulsed behind. As I strolled, the summer sun baked my skin. I winced and sheilded my eyes with my hand. I scanned the full beach and stepped off the burning boulder into the equally as hot sand.

Kids were screaming happily and playing tag with the ocean. I thought back to what my father always told me if we visited the ocean. Which, wasn't very often, but I still remember clearly.

"Never turn your back on the ocean," he would seeth at me.

I would only nod, frightened of what he might do if I spoke. I shivered at the undimmed memory and continued on.

I dodged a couple of beach balls and Frisbees effortlessly. Once I found a reasonable space I plopped myself down and seized the tropic sand.

I thought over everything that had happened over the last few days. I came up more questions than answers. I huffed and groaned in frustration as I sat in the sand trying to figure out all of life's complicated problems.

A lone volleyball rolled towards my feet and I looked up at its owner.

"Melodi?" A familiar female voice questioned.

My eyes widened when I noticed Clara standing over me. Grover's sister squealed as I stood and she wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"Clara, your choking the life out of me!" I managed to say.

"Oh goodness! I'm terribly sorry!" he gushed letting me go.

I rubbed the back of my neck as I remembered Clara. She was a few years in front of us and she always treated me like the sister she never had. Well, that both of us never had. When Grover would pick on me, we would team up and be a fighting machine. I loved her deeply but something had gotten between us during my last years in middle school and beginning of high school. I guess we just grew up.

"What are you doing here?" I said lightheartedly.

"I'm in town visiting the little bro and family. But I was really great to see you too!"

A far off voice called Clara's name and she turned, "I'll be there in a minute!"

I noticed it was a tall handsome guy about the same age of Clara, which was about 21. I raised my eyebrow at her and she shrugged sheepishly beside me. He had a bigger bad boy tone about him than Clae. This guy had longer shaggy hair that shinned underneath the sun. I took a closer look and observed what looked to be a tattoo on his left shoulder. It was two koi fishes that twirled together in a stream of water.

Clara made a noise that was close to a sigh and turned her back to him to look at me. "Wanna play with us?"

"Oh, I really shouldn't," I said. I definitely shouldn't.

"C'mon, you were amazing in high school." she whined at me.

I rolled my eyes, this was a terrible idea. I nodded and she beamed, spinning her chestnut hair around her finger.

Clara hastily grabbed my hand and led me to a circle of about four people including Grover. I gulped and realized that I hadn't spoke to him since this morning. Clara introduced me to the three other people along with the bad boy.

"So this is Preston," she pointed to a brunette boy who had his arm snaked around a short Asian girl. Who smirked when Clara had said her name, "And that is Katie."

"And that is Pierce." she said blissfully.

"Hey," he cocked his bad boy head to the side, and I mentally scoffed.

"Oh and everyone this is Melodi," she waved he hand over me as i nodded politely. "So everyone ready?"

We gathered around in a circle and started some simple passing back and forth then once we got pretty warm, we started to set and hit a couple down balls at each other. I was the setter in my high school so I didn't have any trouble; I would usually set it up for Clara anyway. The three boys ended up teaming up and we scrimmaged a little without a true net. Somehow we had done a little bit of shuffling around and when I went to go after a shanked ball, I tripped over Pierce and landed face first into the sand.

Everyone snorted in laughter as I pushed myself up and into a sitting position. Pierce, who was closest to me, was clutching his stomach as he doubled over in laughter. I narrowed my eyes at him, fine if he wants to play it that way. I reached over and snatched the volleyball, as I zeroed in on Pierce's head, I observed Grover. He to was chuckling but I could tell something was wrong with his demeanor. I threw the ball at Pierce and he swiftly caught it as cackles bubbled from his throat.

"C'mon Grover I need to talk to you."

He eyed me and then reluctantly nodded. We walked away from the group and I realized that we stayed close enough for him to sneak off if need be.

I starred at him and I distractedly started comparing him to Clae. I mentally slapped myself, they were nothing alike.

We talked for a while about nothing in particular, I almost felt normal again. I felt like nothing had changed. Like I didn't know that Grover had confessed his feelings. Like Clae had never came. Like I still would be able to go home to a father that struck me when he was angry or didn't have enough beer. Like my life hadn't changed, but yet it had. And at this very moment, some part of me wished everything had stayed the same.

After a while, we got up and I told him that I had to go. I said my goodbyes and even got a tight hug from Clara and a wink from Pierce. I glared at him with intensity, this boy had to much ego for all six of us.

I walked back to the cave just as the sun was setting. I quirked half of my lips into a smile and then ducked inside. The cave was glowing with oranges and reds. I sighed as my eyes traveled over the cave walls. My ears picked up a throat being cleared out of purpose not necessity and I turned to find Clae with his hand shoved in this pockets and a worried look plastered on his face.

"Have you turned?" he blurted.

"No, I haven't been the water since this morning. Why, is something wrong?" I asked.

"It should have worked. Why didn't it work?" he mumbled incoherently.

I shook my head bitterly, what is he talking about? "Clae. Tell me."

"The kiss." he mirrored my feelings of hurt. He continued, "Andrenyona said that it would turn you into a Mermaid."

My breath caught in my throat, What? Immediately, I thought of two things: Clae kissed me because he had to, not because he wanted to? And that I needed to get to water, quickly.

My eyes flashed to the pool, but then looked straight at Clae. I needed to sort out my priorities.

I took one last look at Clae and dove into the pool.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

898 37 36
Syrena Rhines 17th birthday is coming up and she couldn't be anymore excited. There's just one problem.... When Syrena was 10 something happened, an...
152K 8.4K 26
Edited In a vast and mysterious land where no human can reach and only aquatic being had put eyes upon. Under all the darkness and the mysteries of t...
86.5K 8.3K 60
Water. It can be powerful and devastating, destroying everything in its path. The ultimate killer. Or it can be calm, soothing, and gentle, something...
1.8K 300 63
I looked up and found him staring at me, so I tried to lean forward and kiss him but his hold on my neck didn't let me do so. I groaned and whispered...