Midnight Luna (#Wattys2015)

By _LightBringer_

Outcast. Bullied. Hated. Rejected. This was Hailey Johnson's life and she hated it. She takes a stand and dec... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Author's Note

Chapter Five

23.5K 684 111
By _LightBringer_

Pic of Zach.

Zach's POV

After one week of searching and trying to track Hailey's scent we were all tired and I had lost hope. I called off the search and returned with a heavy and broken heart. I knew it was entirely my fault and I had to suffer the consequences. And now all I wished was to turn back time and make everything right. But sadly that seemed next to impossible.

Today was yet again another day and I felt lost and empty. Before I never did understand the bond between mates and used to think of it as a stupid childish fantasy. Mated wolves always tried to put sense in me by describing the feeling but I as usual I teased them to an extend they gave up. Now I did know and all I could do was think about her.

What must she be doing? Is she alive? Did she miss me? Does she hate me? Will I ever see her again? All these questions built up in my mind, to which I had no answer.

I hadn't told anyone that Hailey was actually my mate. I was so afraid, yea I know being an alpha I shouldn't but how will my pack react when they found out I rejected my true mate, their Luna. I'm so screwed.

As I dwell in my sadness, there's a knock on my door and my father, lead elder of my pack, Thomas Erickson and behind him my beta and best friend Hayden.

I looked from dad to Hayden questioning their presence in my office. Hayden wasn't any better than me. He had huge purple bags under his eyes due to the lack of sleep. He looked older and thinner. I missed the Hayden who used to make me laugh all the time at his ridiculous jokes. Now all I saw was a brother who regrets losing his baby sister for a bit of reputation.

"How may I help you dad?' I asked in a bored tone not hiding the irritation in my voice.

"Zach, my son this pack is the largest and strongest of all. We have kept this title for a long time and I'm proud of the way you have managed to uphold this title at such a young age." He started looking at me in a questioning manner.

"Dad why the sudden praise, just get to the point." I stated.

He didn't say anything but I could tell he didn't  like my tone, not that I gave a damn. So he can suck it up!

"Alright I'll say this straight, this pack needs a Luna, and a strong one." He said looking at me with anger and frustration.

I stared at him as this information sunk in. Where is he going with this talk?

"But I haven't found my mate?"I pointed out. Looking at Hayden for an explanation to this absurd statement.

"I know son but the smaller packs under us need a Luna to help in the Pack house and wellbeing of the pack. With a strong Luna by your side you can do better and your pack gets more security." He made it sound so normal and obvious. But to me it just fuelled the anger in me.

"Can't you hear me dad, I haven't found my mate!" I repeated louder this time.

"That I am aware of, but being an alpha has its many advantages. You can mate with another female wolf even if she is not your mate. I even have a girl who fits absolutely well." He shrugged. All I wanted to do was shake him so badly until his teeth fell off. How could he even say something like that.

Hearing this I shake with anger. Standing up I glare at him. My mind was filled with only Hailey's face and I knew that I could never be with someone other than her. Thinking about mating with someone else caused bile to rise in my mouth.

"Son you have to think calmly, this is for the well being of the pack." He noticed my rising anger.

"I know what my pack needs and and I'm fully aware of what's good for their wellbeing so I don't need your advice. This is absurd dad. How can I mate with someone else.? It will never be a strong bond. Hayden man tell him this is not right" I yelled looking at him, silently pleading him to help me.

"Zach I'm sorry but your dad is right. As your beta I need to tell you that a Luna needs to be present for the pack and the young ones." He said looking at the floor. I knew he thought this was wrong but didn't even make an attempt to say otherwise.

I stared at the floor deep in thought. Do I tell them that I have found my mate? God why did I have to have a messed up life? No I can't tell them, I'll just have to agree. Times like these I wished I never was an alpha whose life was based solely on his packs need.

"Who is this Female wolf you speak of?' I asked with an emotionless tone staring at my father blankly.

Both Hayden and my father wince at the tone of my voice.

"You do know my good friend and ex pack warrior Felix Daniels? He has just returned from his trip from France."

As he spoke I thought of Felix. I vaguely remembered him. He was a jolly good man. I considered him my second dad along with Hayden's father. All the fighting tricks and battle strategies I knew because of his training. As I recall he had a daughter around my age, he doesn't mean what I think he does right? As I was about to ask he confirms my thought.

"His daughter Esther has returned with him and is right now staying in the extra bedroom. She is fit for being your mate and Luna." He said, as my heart sank and Hailey's tear stained face flashed by my eyes.

"How can you be sure she is fit to be Luna for this pack?" I asked, desperately looking for a loophole.

"I have seen her in training when I went to visit them. She has great fighting skills like her father and has a very subtle and kind behavior. She has agreed to mate with you as she hasn't found her mate yet and wishes to settle down." He replied proudly, as if this news was meant to make me happy.

I reluctantly asked the next question still hoping that may be one day I would get Hailey back.

"What if I find my mate after and so does she?"

My father remained silent and I patiently waited for his reply although I wanted to shake him thoroughly to get him to answer. In these past years with my dad I learnt that being patient with him will be better as he can snap at any possible moment.

"I have researched and spoke to the council, in the case of finding your true mate and accepting her, the mark held by your 'arranged' Luna will fade and disappear." He replied.

I let out a sign of relief as I heard this. So I can still hope. But I snap my head up when my dad continues.

"But that is not the case for her." He sadly sighs.

"What you mean?" I asked in panic.

"If she were to find her mate when you haven't she cannot let go without your consent and will. She will be bound to you even if her soul belongs to her mate." Well I guess that wouldn't be a problem. I know my soul already belongs to someone.

"Okay you guys can leave now. I need to think this through." I turned my back and faced the window, watching the tress sway in the breeze.

Before leaving my dad said "think wisely son, for your packs future is on the line." Then I heard the click of the door, followed by a dreading silence.

I stared at the forest behind the pack house. Looking at them I found a sense of peace and calm. My thoughts cleared as I thought about what my dad said. Being an alpha I needed to think about the pack and I could see why a Luna was needed. But I couldn't give the place which rightly belongs to Hailey. For me no one was better than her.

But even if I tell them that Hailey is my mate I would have to find her and for the past one week we have got no clue of her location. It's like she vanished into thin air. And searching for her and carrying out search parties will be futile. That will only make the pack members lose their courage and the hope of their alpha female's return.

After deciding, I left my office and go to the bedroom where Esther was currently staying in. I vaguely remember her cause we were kids back then. She was beautiful and smart and I knew I had a childhood crush on her before she left with her father. As I reached the door I took a deep breath and knocked.

"Come in."I heard a soft voice reply.

As I entered I saw a beautiful girl standing in front of me. She had blond hair with a bit of brown. Her eyes were grey with a tinge of blue, it was captivating. She had smooth pale skin. But I still couldn't compare her with Hailey. She smiled as I entered which I returned genuinely.

"Long time huh Zach!" Her voice was sweet and kind just as I remember.

"I know Esther, how have you been?" I ask, trying to make small talk.

"I have been good, what about you?" She said smiling at me.

"You know, same old." I shrugged.

Then we sat in an awkward silence as both of us thought and tried to decide how to bring up that topic. I stared at the floor as if it was suddenly so interesting.

'What the hell man, being an alpha you are scared!' my wolf teased.

I was shocked with his teasing. It's been days since I had heard from him. Had he forgiven me? The moment I thought of that he replied,

'No I haven't but I can understand. I too care for our pack. Do what you think is right,' and just like that I felt silence again. So I cleared my throat and looked at Esther.

"Esther you know what my dad has planned and I hear you have agreed." She nodded in confirmation.

"Fine but I need to know if you were forced to do this against your will." I asked truthfully.

"No Zach, I have been looking and waiting for my mate for a long time. I want to settle down. This pack has been very important to me. When Uncle Tom asked me and stated the importance of it, I instantly agreed" She answers with determination.

"So you're sure about this, no regrets?"

"No Zach, I'm sure. And perhaps if in the future it is possible we can work it out between us." she looked at me expectantly.

"Look Esther there are something's I need to clear with you." I said, perhaps a bit harshly than I wanted to.

She waited for me to continue but I saw hurt flash in her eyes. I took a deep breath and said all that I have thought of,

"I'm only doing this for my pack. You need to know that I will only mark you as my mate, but will not complete the entire bond. My mark will be enough to proclaim you as my mate and Luna." I looked at her in the eye and noticed her sadness but I ignored it because she needed to understand.

She stared at me and tried to speak. But I knew I needed to get it all out there so we could be perfectly clear as to what was happening exactly.

"Wait let me complete." I held up my hand.

She quietly nodded and I continued

"In the future if you don't find your mate and if we get close I will happily mate with you. But for now I won't. I hope you understand."

"Yes alpha I do." she bowed in respect. As she looked up I saw hope fill her eyes because of my words.

I cupped her face and tried to look at her affectionately.

"You are brave and strong. I trust my pack with you. Saying these words I agree to take you as my mate Miss. Esther Daniels." I recite the lines of marking and mating.

With that I kissed her on her lips hesitatingly, which she returned. I break the kiss as she tried to deepen it and moved down to hear neck, that part which joins her shoulder. Kissing that spot I bite into her. She gasps in pleasure as I feel her warm blood fill my mouth.

I lick the wound and looked at my bite on her neck that will later form into my mark.

"You are now The Luna of The Black Blood Pack, and my mate" I said but with no emotion in my face. I felt drained and suddenly very tired.

She smiled happily. I gave her a small smile in return. I got up pecked her on the lips and headed to the door. Turning I looked at her.

"Get ready today I'll be introducing you as the alpha female at the pack dinner."

And then I left before she could reply. I raced out and headed to the deep forest. I ran till I reached a small pond in the dense part of the forest. This was where I came when I'm broken and confused. Sitting down near the pond, I felt tears in my eyes and before I could hold them back, they fell.

I cried openly for what I did to my mate. I thought of the kiss I shared with Esther, it was so empty and emotionless. There was no connection and no feeling. EMPTY that's all it felt.

My wolf howled as he thought of his mate and I could feel his pain. For hours I sat there and cried openly thinking about Hailey and nothing else. As the sun set, I got up and looked at the moon and prayed to the Moon Goddess.

"Please help me Mother Luna. Bring Hailey back to me. I need her. Hear my pray Goddess, please I beg you. And now wherever she is watch over her." I begged, hoping someone up there heard my pray.

I dried my tears and washed my face in the pond. Turning back I prayed again,

"Hope is all I have Luna. Forgive me and give her back to me."

I walked to the house and saw the celebration at the pack house was in full swing. All my pack members will be happy to meet their Luna. Little do they know who was rightfully the one. Only I did and wished it to stay that way till everything settled down. I know I'm an ass, a completely fucked up ass!

"Come back to me, Hailey" I desperately whispered.

Taking a breath I calmed myself, put a smile on my face, hoping it looked genuine and opened the door to join the celebrations. As I enter into the room, my wolf whines and softly said,

"HOPE!"

(Like the Chapter? Then go ahead and click that little star.)  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 69 19
"I, Damon Blake, of the Midnight pack hereby reject you, Alyssa Silverson, of the Crescent moon pack as my mate. May we never cross paths in this lif...
1.3M 42.1K 31
[Rejection Series Book 2] "Me, your mate? As if. You're weak and the reason my parents are dead!" He scuffs at my face and then does the worst thing...
1M 20.6K 31
"I, Cal River, Alpha of the Climax Night pack reject you, Raven Woods, as my pack's Luna and as my mate." ***** Raven Woods was born a rogue. She wou...
1.2M 26.8K 21
Hard Mate Series Book 2. (This series does not have to be read in order.) ***** "I, Chace Winchester, reject you, Alyssa Jackson, as my mate and Luna...