Elm

By abby_da_lovely

Elm is the daughter of two elements and now is protector of Middle Earth. When her adoptive father ,who she r... More

Intro
News
The beginning
Power
king
The council
The goblin cave
Out of the frying pan and into the fire
The miracle rock
Nasty wargs
Pasture rest
Lady of the stars
Erulasse
Laketown
I see fire
How can the sun shine?
Into the west
Lady of Water
Steward of Gondor
A mistake
~Authors note~

Beorn

175 4 0
By abby_da_lovely

"Run! Run till you can't breathe."

I shouted at the company. Thorin looked back and our eyes met. I was sure just one look at me he knew that we were in trouble. All three of us caught up with the company.

"How many?"

Thorin questioned me through gasps of air. I slid my sword into the sleeve.

"Maybe, twenty, hopefully."

I answered. He looked concerned as I added on 'hopefully'. He turned forward. I could see the sun start to set. Time had flown by so fast today. Then I could feel a couple of them running towards us on the North and South side of the trail.

"Run as fast as you can."

I told Thorin quietly. I slowed down my pace. Fili and Kili were in the front of the company, so they couldn't see my departure. I stopped and started to turn around. I grabbed my bow and arrow. I set it nice and fast. I aimed North. Three would be coming in seconds. I shot and fired. the first one fell dead before my feet. I grabbed another arrow and shot the next one. It almost knocked me over if I didn't get out of the way. I then grabbed my sword and put it through the warg's open mouth. Just as the warg was about to put its jaws around my arm it stopped and became lame. I pulled the sword out of its jaw before it could fall to the floor with the others. I then turned back around to find two coming at me with full power. I slit my sword through one's face which would weaken it until I could kill its friend. The hurt warg who whimpered and slid across the trail. I stabbed the other as it tried jumping up on me. I got it right in its guts. It's started to scream out in pain until I got a good hit through the upper chest. Then I turned to the other one who was still whimpering at the pain. It was a little pup. I sighed. I didn't want to kill it, but if it came at me threatening I would be faced to kill it. I started to walk away carefully. It started to follow me slowly. I looked back to see if it would start running. It didn't. I took the arrows out of the two wargs that I had shot down. I put the bloody arrows into my set that was tied to my back. I then I put my bow along with it. Then the young pup who reached my hip came over and put its head under my hand. I looked down at him at his bloody face. I didn't really see any emotions in wild animals such as wargs, but this one started to cry over the pain.

"Go back to where you belong to, filth."

I told him in elvish. The young pup looked at me with big eyes. I sighed.

"Fine."

I gave up and started to walk off. I could hear his little footsteps follow me. I started to run to catch up with the company. He started to chase after me. I looked back to find the little pup with his tongue sticking out. I finally got a sight of the company. They were sending Bilbo somewhere. Fili and Kili were questioning Thorin about something. Thorin rolled his eyes at them and shook his head. Kili started to whine. Fili then put his hand on Kili's shoulder and they both walked away. I stopped and looked back at the small innocent pup. I slapped my knee and he came to me. I kneeled down and started to wipe away the blood from his face. He licked my face out of thanks. I smiled and patted his head. The wound wasn't too deep, all it would leave is a small scar.

"Since you won't leave my side, mine as well give you a name? How about the name Arrow?"

I asked the young pup as I wiped away some more blood from his face. The pup's tail started to wag his tail from the suggestion of his name.

"Arrow it is my friend."

I told him as I stood up. I started to head towards the group when all of a sudden I heard a big roar from a creature I would never hope to meet. I recognized that roar from anywhere. Skin changer, Beorn. The pup bowed down to the floor and growled at the roar. I looked at him.

"Arrow, come along."

I told him as I kneeled down to the pup. I looked at the company. None of them had heard the roar because of the mountain barrier around them. I started to walk towards them and I joined them just as Bilbo was telling him of the thing he found. I stood quietly behind Fili and Kili as Bilbo explained his whole bit. I looked down at Arrow to see if he would be a good boy and stay. Even though he was a puppy, most puppies knew to stay put with their owners by the time they were able to run.

"I'm trying to tell you that there is something else out there."

Bilbo told the company as he pointed up the hill he had just walked up. The dwarves looked at each other. I looked up at Gandalf.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?"

He questions the young hobbit. The Hobbit was surprised by Gandalf's question.

"Y-yes but bigger. Much bigger"

Bilbo answered. I rose my eyebrows, Gandalf knew of this beast. I had only heard of Beorn through tales.

"You knew about this beast?"

Bofur asked, taking the words out of my mouth. Gandalf turned away from us. He was deep in thought as he turned.

"I say we double back."

Bofur suggested to the company. I could tell he was a bit frightened.

"And be run down by a pack of orcs?"

Thorin replied to Bofur. Bofur sighed and backed down. The dwarves started to murmur among themselves.

"There is a house...not far from here. Where we might, uh, take refuge."

Gandalf suggested as he turned back to the company. I bit my cheek.

"Whose house? Are they friend or Foe?"

Thorin questioned Gandalf. I looked down at Arrow who had sat himself down on the floor.

"Neither. He will help us or he will kill us."

Gandalf answered. I looked up over the dwarves heads and looked at Gandalf. I could taste the threat of his words. If he killed me the world would fall into hell's hands.

"What choice do we have?"

Thorin asked Gandalf. A roar in the distance rang out and echoed through the hills. I looked up at the hill to see if Beorn was there. He wasn't, but soon he would feast on our flesh.

"None."

Gandalf told Thorin. The company started to run with Gandalf's guidance. I then tapped Fili's shoulder. He turned around to find me. Fili smiled. He then grabbed my arm and squeezed it. Then he joined the others. I waited a couple of minutes to join them in their run. I knew Beorn was close on my tail, hopefully, I could run him off. I looked down at my side where Arrow was. Hopefully, Arrow wouldn't be a threat if I continued to have him by my side. I started to hum my own little song as I continued my run.

"Down the swift dark stream, you go back to lands you once did know! Leave the halls and caverns deep, leave the northern mountains steep, where the forest-wide and dim stoops in shadow grey and grim! Float beyond the world of trees out into the whispering breeze, past the rushes, past the reeds, past the marsh's waving weeds, through the mist that riseth white up from mere and pool at night! Follow, follow stars that leap up the heavens cold and steep; turn when dawn comes overland, over rapid, over sand, South away! and South away! Seek the sunlight and the day, back to pasture, back to mead, where the king and oxen feed! Back to gardens on the hills where the berry swells and fills. Under sunlight, under the day!
South away! and South away! Down the swift dark stream, you go back to lands you once did know!"

I had heard this song once being sang from Arwen as she died silks. I fell in love with the song and had learned it from Arwen's mother. I had caught up with the company, but I didn't want to get too close, afraid I might bring some unwanted attention. I soon decided that I didn't want to catch up with them. I sat down only to find Beorn running at full speed towards them. I gasped and decided to run as fast as I could to get towards them. Beor was gaining on us and fast. Arrow started growling as the huge monster ran towards us. I reached down and patted his head. He turned forward and we continued to run. I could feel my legs begin to shiver at my anxiety. I looked down at the forest floor. I finally gained upon the company. Fili and Kili were in the very front along with Gandalf. Thorin and a few others were in the back. Then I could feel the breath upon my back. Gandalf stopped in his tracks and looked back. I turned around along with a few other dwarves to find the supersized black bear headed towards us.

"Run!"

I yelled to the others who were too stunned to move. Thorin grabbed the fat dwarves beard and pulled him forward. I started running for the front. The dwarves were faster than I had last remembered. The fat dwarf had gained tons of speed and was now running towards the front with Fili and Kili. I looked back at the bear and stared into his eyes. The bear looked into mine.

All of a sudden I was in another world. I looked around to find cages, large ones. In those cages were people. A woman looked at me and started sobbing and held the bundle of blanket closer to her breast. I turned to my right to find a young fellow with chains around his wrists.

"Beorn, you must be brave! Hold your ground, but never fight back. You hear me, boy?"

Questioned the weeping women. The young boy got closer to the bars of his cage and reached out for the woman.

"I hear you, mama. I hear ya."

The boy replied looking into his mother's dark brown eyes. Then a door opened and the mother started to cry out.

"Mama!"

Beorn yelled as an orc came and opened up the boy's cage. The young boy was thrown to the floor and then dragged by his chains. The mother started to scream out in terror.

"Beorn!"

The mother screamed at her boy. The door closed and the mother sank down in tears.

I shook my head and looked around. I wasn't in the cave anymore. I was right where I had left off in life. I looked forward towards Gandalf. We were now entering the gates of someone's home. Thorin ran up and opened the door to the huge house. 

As soon as Gandalf and I ran in the doors shut behind us. I started breathing heavily. I looked towards the door that was being kept open by Beorn's giant muzzle. Screams and shouts were being thrown out by the dwarves. The door finally shut and was locked. I kneeled down on the floor. Arrow who was still at my side licked my nose. I gave him a smile and patted his head. I stood up and started to look around. 

Arrow followed me as I looked about. He had many horses and cows. Bumblebees the size of my fist flew about his house. I was majorly interested in his collection of books. Many books of language. I started to grab a few off the shelf and look at them.

"Whose this?"

Asked a voice which made me jump. I turned to the voice as I closed the book. I turned to Thorin. I looked back and put the book back where I had found it.

"This is Arrow, hope you wouldn't mind if he tagged along."

I answered as I turned back to Thorin.

"Hope he doesn't bring too much trouble to my company, that's all."

Thorin replied. He leaned against the door frame. I looked down at Arrow who was sat down next to my feet. His tongue hung out from his mouth. Thorin stopped leaning on the door frame and grabbed something from his pocket. He pulled it out and squatted down on the floor.

"Come here, Arrow."

Thorin said as he offered a piece of meat to the young pup. Arrow looked at me and then to the piece of meat. Arrow started running towards the piece of meat. He accepted it and took it from Thorin's fingers. Arrow came back and laid down at my feet as he snacked on the piece of meat. Thorin stood back up.

"I suggest you get some sleep, you look like you have had a hard day."

Thorin told me. I nodded my head and with that Thorin left. I looked at the books again. There wasn't anything interesting. I started to walk out when something caught my eye. I grabbed it and opened the delicate book. I started to flip through the pages. All it was was about his home. Then a piece of paper fell out from in between the pages. I bent down and grabbed the paper. I turned it over to find seven happy faces. I looked at the children. Three boys and a girl with an infant sitting on the little girl's lap. Then I looked at the parents. I gasped. This was Beorn's family. I put the picture back in the book and put the book back where I had found it. 

I went to the stables where a lot of the dwarves had settled down for the night. I walked over to where Kili and Fili were sitting down. They smiled when they noticed I was headed towards them. I sat down in front of them and then fell over to land on Fili's thighs. Fili patted my head and started running his finger through my hair. 

"You okay Elm?"

Fili asked as he finished running his fingers through my short hair.

"Tired, that's all. I bet y'all are tired from running so fast."

I answered closing my eyes.

"Yeah, just a bit."

Fili answered. I sat up, the hay was uncomfortable. Fili saw my discomfort.

"Lay on me, I think you will find some comfort."

Fili suggested patting his chest. I shrugged and nestled my heavy head onto his chest. I closed my eyes. I could hear a small chuckle come from Kili. I tucked my arms around my chest to try to warm myself. Fili put his arms around my shoulders. I could feel his lips upon my head. I smiled a bit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 658 27
Areth has always been different. As daughter of Kili and Tauriel, she has had to learn the hard way that being half elf/dwarf is not a desirable thin...
307K 10.7K 53
It was not common for a woman to posses the skill to heal the wounded. A young half hobbit-half dwarf has been living in the peaceful lands of the Sh...
147K 3.6K 48
Sonja is the sister of Fili and Kili. They are overprotective brothers to say at least. So is her Uncle Thorin. He she adores. They have a bond that...
92K 1.6K 37
A mysterious young girl joins the company of Thorin Oakenshield, she comes with an unexplained scar over her eye and a journal holding many secrets...