The Mischievous Mrs. Maxfield

By ninyatippett

***The wrong girl is sometimes The Right One.*** Charlotte Samuels thought she'd be stuck waiting tables at... More

Chapter One: The Proposal
Chapter Two: The Lesser of Two Evils
Chapter Three: The Inevitable
Chapter Four: The Fake First Kiss
Chapter Five: On The Brightside
Chapter Six: Meet The Maxfields
Chapter Seven: Dresses, Ducks and Dinner
Chapter Nine: The Curse of a Conscience
Chapter Ten: The Dangers of Falling In Love
Chapter Eleven: The Past And The Promise
Chapter Twelve: Here Comes The Unlikely Bride
Chapter Thirteen: Not Your Typical Wedding Night
Chapter Fourteen: Decisions and a Dance
Chapter Fifteen: Making Lemonade
Chapter Sixteen: Truth Be Told
Chapter Seventeen: Love and Thunderstorms
Chapter Eighteen: Swimming With Sharks
Chapter Nineteen: Frog Kisses And Fairy Tales
Chapter Twenty: The Bold, The Beautiful And The Badass
Chapter Twenty-One: Phantoms Of The Past
Chapter Twenty-Two: Starlight And Shadows
Chapter Twenty-Three: Haunted Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Four: Designs of Destiny
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Fabulous and The Forsaken
Chapter Twenty-Six: Pretty Lies and Ugly Truths
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Satins Over Scars
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Birthdays and Battles
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Damn the Devil
Chapter Thirty: Sins of the Father
Chapter Thirty-One: The Cowards, the Clowns and the Courageous
Chapter Thirty-Two: All That Is Shattered
Chapter Thirty-Three: Finding Fortitude and Freedom
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Harrowing Road to Happily-Ever-Afters
A Sort Of Epilogue That Isn't Quite One
Holiday 2015 Bonus Article
Bonus Chapter: Brought to you by H&M

Chapter Eight: The Other Parties

2M 50.5K 41K
By ninyatippett

It was the big day.

No. Wait.

Not that big day. Just the engagement party.

I was such a nervous wreck that it might as well have been the wedding. It was the first official and public event that Brandon and I were attending even though we've only invited around a hundred people or so—ninety-five percent of which I've never met before.

"Do I look presentable?" I asked as I moved away from the mirror and faced Felicity, Armina, Noli and Clyde who were in my living room, clustered around me as they made the final touches to my look tonight.

"Don't insult us by calling yourself presentable, Charlotte," Clyde chided, patting the tip of my nose with the fluffy end of his powder brush. "You look absolutely gorgeous. Am I right, guys?"

The two women nodded their approval while Noli assured me that I was going to take everyone's breath away.

I glanced back at the mirror, studying my reflection.

Noli had tweaked the dress, taking it to the next level when he lengthened the skirt to a slim, floor-length A-line shape, overlapping the old rose-colored tulle with a layer of a pale, burnished gold version. The beadwork remained but he'd cut out the back into a deep V that stopped just at the small of my back and he removed the cap sleeves, displaying my shoulders and collarbone with the boatneck cut in front. My honey-blonde hair was swept up in a mix of messy braids pinned together in low bun.

My cheeks were flushed, my eyelids dusted with a pale, pinkish gold shade, my lashes maximized with dark, brown-black mascara and my lips dabbed with a tinted lip balm. Clyde insisted we kept my make up minimal for a barely-there look. He said it kept me looking young and elegant without trying too hard.

I wasn't sure why we should pretend I wasn't trying too hard—my head was crammed with a hundred or so names and profile photos after all.

The doorbell sounded. 

"Oh, that would be Mr. Maxfield," Felicity said as she hurried to the door. "Let's wrap it up."

"Here you go, Char," Armina said as she handed me a white, flat leather clutch studded with pale gold beads. "Now, lift your chin up, square your shoulders and look down on everyone else."

I wrinkled my nose. "I don't look down on people, Min. Let's try a different mantra. I'll lift my chin up, square my shoulders and think..."

Clyde, Armina and Noli looked at me expectantly.

"That after the party, I'm making Brandon get me a cheeseburger with fries after I starved myself today to fit into this dress," I finished with a smug smile. "No one will suspect that while I seem to be nibbling here and there, I'm looking forward to my fast-food treat."

Armina groaned and smacked her head. "You are the weirdest girl, I swear. Savoureux is catering your party and you're fantasizing about cheeseburgers."

"Who's fantasizing about cheeseburgers?" Brandon's rich, dark voice drifted into the room as he strode in, sharply dressed in a sleek, dark brown suit with a cognac-colored tie. His dark hair was trimmed and combed back, a few locks falling over his forehead, his shaven face showing off the stark planes of his angular face. 

He looked so perfect it hurt to stare at him.

I bit my lip. "Me. I told them you'll need to take me out for cheeseburgers and fries later as a reward for my restraint in not eating more than just crackers today."

His hazel eyes lazily appraised me as he stopped a foot away, his lips curving in an admiring smile. 

"I'll get you as many cheeseburgers as you want just for looking the way you do right now," he said, his eyes crinkling before he brushed a light kiss on my cheek. "For now, I hope this will do."

He pulled back and lifted a long, jeweler's box he'd been holding and opened it for me.

I could hear the gasps from everyone else in the room.

"Do you like it?" he asked as he lifted the chain out of the box and held it up for me. 

It was a necklace with a short white gold chain, encrusted with alternating pink and clear round diamonds in slightly varying sizes. 

"It's lovely," I croaked out through the emotions stuck in my throat as Brandon smiled and moved behind me to secure the necklace around my neck. "You shouldn't have, though."

"Yes, I should have," he said sofly as he turned me gently to him, his fingers cupping my chin. "It's our engagement party."

For a marriage of convenience, yes, except that the damn lines are blurring.

"Thank you," I said, smiling back at him. "I'll take care of it, make sure it's safely returned to you later tonight."

His brows shot up and he glanced around to make sure everyone was busy cleaning up to pay too much attention to us. He leaned in, his lips brushing the sensitive skin just before my ear as he whispered, "It's a gift, Charlotte. I want you to have it."

"Okay," I mumbled out faintly, awkward all of a sudden with my conflicting emotions. I placed my hand on his chest though, and looked up at him with another smile. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he said before taking the hand I'd placed on his chest and using it to wrap my arm around his as he turned to all the people assisting me. "Thank you again for all your help. We have to get going now though. We'll see all of you at the party later."

I beamed at everyone and gave them a little wave as Brandon escorted me to the door. He had easily agreed to my suggestion to let my style team come since I didn't really have a lot of friends invited to this party.

Fifteen minutes later, we arrived at Thurston House—a splendid Victorian mansion converted into a banquet hall about fifty years ago. It was popular for its opulent, old-world charm and its sprawling gardens.

Brandon helped me out of the car and camera lights were already flashing before I could even straighten myself up. There was a small area corded off for the media and reporters were craning their necks to get a better view of us.

"Oh, I promised them ten minutes tonight before we go in," I told Brandon before I slowly made my way to the paps, taking care not to trip in my four-inch strappy gold sandals. "Come, Brand. It won't take long."

He looked uncertain for a moment but he nodded and walked with me. Gilles was already there, stepping away when Brandon and I arrived.

"Ms. Samuels! It's a big night. Are you excited?"

"Mr. Maxfield, any comment on the rumored CanCorp acquisition?"

"Charlotte, is that the same dress?"

"How's little Rose?"

"Where will you honeymoon?"

I heard Brandon mutter under his breath as we got barraged with questions but he stayed by my side, his body angled toward me in a protective stance. 

I smiled at him, touching his jaw reassuringly. "Don't worry. You don't have to say anything. I've got this."

He glanced down at me with a raised brow. "You're not used to this, Charlotte."

"Used to it enough in the last few days," I told him before I stepped forward and beamed at the reporters.

"Hey, guys. How's it going?" I greeted them, recognizing the familiar faces of the small group who faithfully showed up at our designated place each day.

For the next ten minutes, I rambled on in easy, upbeat conversation with everyone.

Kinda went like this...

"Marco, how did that root canal go? Having trouble with it at all?"

"Dennis, buddy. I looked up that movie and I'm pretty sure it was Harrison Ford, not Dustin Hoffman, who played the president. I know. He plays the president in like half a dozen movies."

"Did you bring her to the Rose Patch? Told you she'd totally dig it. Trust me on this, Ren."

"Sheena, I saw that photo you took of me as I was coming out of the bookstore. Now everyone thinks I'm vegan for some reason. I just wanted to look at possible mini-greenhouse ideas. I can't give up meat."

"Brandon promised me he won't talk about work tonight so no comment on the acquisition. Trent, you know better than to talk business with me."

"Chad, tell your wife to toast the pecans. It deepens their flavor and compliments the vanilla in the dough. Yeah, yeah. I'll send you a recipe."

"Honeymoon's a surprise. Right, babe? I've tried playing detective but it's a well-guarded secret. I'll be as surprised as all of you when I find out, I'm sure."

Ten minutes later, Brandon practically dragged me away.

"I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that you talk to the paps like you're all buddies," he murmured, slipping an arm behind my waist. 

I shrugged. "I got to know them pretty well. Spending all day running around trying to take photos or talk to people who have no interest in dealing with them is a diffcult job so I try to make it easier for them. It's a good system. They leave me alone when I ask them, and I give them something back so they can do their job. We all get along that way."

Brandon's hold on my arm tightened and kept me in place just as we were about to walk through the front door. His other hand rested on my hip and his forehead touched mine.

"I really shouldn't be surprised anymore but I am," he said with a smile before brushing a kiss on my lips. "Come on. Everyone wants to meet you."

If Brandon meant to reassure me with that kiss, he was gravely mistaken because the last thing I needed before going into the den of the city's upper class was undoing my fragile composure with the mere touch of his lips on mine.

The doors opened and my hand on Brandon's arm gripped harder. 

A voice boomed through the PA and announced us with a lively congratulations on our upcoming wedding.

I swallowed hard. My heart might have possibly relocated somewhere in the vicinity of my throat but there was nothing to be done about it now.

"You're going to do great, Charlotte," he murmured under his breath while gracing the crowd who turned to us at our arrival with a brilliant smile. People started applauding.

I nodded slightly, glancing up at him. "Cheeseburgers and fries later, okay?"

He looked at me, his hazel eyes crinkling at the corners in humor. "Cheeseburgers and fries."

He took my hand and gently led me forward just as Martin stepped out and greeted both of us with a hug, smiling and laughing.

"Charlotte, look at you! You're exquisite!" he said as he leaned in to kiss me on the forehead. "Isn't she, Brand?"

"She is," Brandon agreed with an indulgent smile. "You're looking good too, Dad."

It was true. The old man had a healthy flush on his cheeks and his blue eyes were bright and clear. 

"If I didn't know better, Martin, I would suspect you're out to break some girl's heart here tonight at our party," I told him teasingly.

He chuckled. "Not an old man like me. I'm just here to wish you well and make sure you have a grand time."

Then his expression sobered up a little as he added in a lower voice. "Frankly, I thought I'd better damn make sure no one gives you any problems, Charlotte. I doubt though that anyone could get away with any of that crap with you."

"No, they couldn't," Brandon answered in a firm voice, pulling me in a little closer to him. "I'll take care of her, Dad."

Martin smiled at his son. "I know you will."

Then he clapped Brandon on the shoulder and winked at me. "Well, you two now make your rounds and put everyone out of their misery. They can't wait to meet Charlotte. Program's starting in half an hour and then dinner. I'll see you two around later. Charlotte, go knock 'em out."

And just like that, we were dismissed as Martin strode away.

"Your father is such a weirdo, sometimes."

Brandon laughed. "God. You're the only one who can get away with calling him that."

"Well, he's somewhat responsible for my own weirdness so we're even," I said. "For years, he's been in the voice in my head."

Brandon smiled. "I have a feeling that the voice in your head is all yours, Charlotte, if it's as incessant as you are."

I rolled my eyes at him and lightly smacked him on the chest. "Oh, shut up,"I said to Brandon just as he grabbed a glass of champagne from a server who came up to us.

"Fine. Truce for tonight," he agreed with a chuckle. "Now, what would you like to drink?"

I grinned and peered at the offerings on the server's tray. "Um, I can't drink any of this stuff."

Understanding dawned in Brandon's eyes. "Right. You're only nineteen." He turned to the server. "What's your name?"

The young man blinked nervously at Brandon. "Um, Darren, sir."

Brandon smiled at him. "Darren, my man, I'm going to ask you to personally see to my fiancee's drinks tonight. Can you please ensure she's supplied with whatever she would like from the bar?"

Darren nodded and glanced at me. "Of course. What would you like, miss?"

I decided to take pity on the poor guy. Brandon was very nice in asking but he was naturally intimidating to anyone with a softer spine. "Any kind of fruity mocktail will do. Thank you, Darren."

"You're welcome, miss. I'll be right back with it," he said with a slight, awkward bow.

I still didn't really get why people had been bowing to me. On a recent trip to a store witih Felicity, I learned my mistake in asking them to explain it and making them more uncomfortable so I never did it again.

When the server was gone, Brandon groaned softly in my ear as he turned me toward him, his hands resting on my hips. "I shouldn't but I always forget how young you are. I feel like an old lecher now."

I burst out laughing. "Lecher, yes, but old, not really."

He gave me a feigned scowl, his fingers tightening just very slightly on my hips. "If you'll stick that tag to me, I'll be forced to prove it right here, right now."

Warmth crept on my cheeks as Brandon's gaze darkened with heat but an easy chuckle drew us out of that moment.

We turned and found a tall man with dark blond hair and green eyes walking up to us and smiling broadly. He was awfully cute in a surfer-dude kind of way. He looked very familiar I was certain he was in Felicity's profile book but I couldn't remember much at the moment.

"I come home from Bangkok after a two-week business trip and find an invitation to my best friend's engagement party and wedding," he said as he stopped in front of us and clapped Brandon's shoulder, his gaze focusing on me with appreciation. "I thought someone was playing a prank on me but then I see the bride and completely understand why Brand is stumbling over himself to get shackled."

I glanced up at Brandon who was rolling his eyes. "You have a best friend?"

The other man laughed. "She doesn't seem nearly as impressed with you as you are with her. What's wrong, man? Losing your touch?"

"Charlotte, this poor excuse for a friend is Jake Hastings," Brandon introduced. "Jake, meet Charlotte Samuels, my fiancee."

Jake Hastings. Right. Brandon's best friend since first grade. He owned a publishing company and was a certified ladies' man. It didn't say on the profile book but Felicity added that last bit herself.

Jake took my hand and kissed the back of it. "A real pleasure to meet you, Charlotte. You look stunning tonight. If I'd known about you, I wouldn't have left. I would've done my best to steal you away from Brandon."

I relaxed. Jake clearly didn't know about my arrangement with his friend.

I gave him a cheeky smile. "I don't know about that. I can't say that a consummate flirt is a better choice over a brooding tyrant."

Jake's brows shot up in surprise for a moment before he burst out laughing. "Oh, boy. I can see that you know my friend pretty well here and I don't believe I'm going to fare better than he did in your opinion."

Brandon let out a near growl, his arm wrapping around my waist possessively. "No, you aren't, Jake, so stop flirting with my fiancee."

Jake gave him a challenging look. "I will if you stop monopolizing her. You've been in the party ten minutes and she hasn't met a single guest other than me and Martin. With all the headlines Charlotte has been making in the past week, everyone's getting impatient to meet her."

I grimaced. "Oh, no. I should've done my best to stay under the radar."

Jake shook his head. "No, you shouldn't. And I'm sure you wouldn't have succeeded anyway. Brandon was an eligible bachelor, Charlotte. Everyone will be curious about the woman who snagged him all the way down to the altar."

"Hmm, sounds like I need to find some rope to drag you to the altar on our wedding day, Brand," I told Brandon with a mock-serious expression. "That's the only way we're going to convince people."

Brandon laughed and murmured, "I can think of other more enjoyable uses for the rope on our wedding night, baby."

I flushed and Jake just laughed and shook his head. "You two better make your rounds, sit through the program and dinner, and get the hell out of here." 

And so we spent the next twenty minutes moving around, meeting one guest after another.

I secretly thanked Felicity for all that time she insisted I spend going through profiles not because I remembered all the names and faces but mostly because it gave me a thing or two to talk about with each guest when I did recognize them.

Most of them were very nice and friendly—a few were a bit reserved in meeting me but they were all polite in their curiosity nonetheless that I made no fuss about it.

During our rounds, we ran into Anna who was dressed regally in a dark blue long gown and Tessa who looked pretty but a bit understated in a peach-colored, hand-embroidered cocktail dress. They were polite to me, if a little stiff, but I didn't  mind it. 

The announcement for the short program before dinner had just been made when Brandon caught me by the elbow to draw me out of my conversation with a Greek socialite and environmental activist.

"Hey, there are some people who wanted to see you," he said to me with a mischievous grin just as he led me past a few tables to a small group waiting for us just at the outskirts of the ballroom.

"Bobby! Aimee! Rose! Macy! Becs! Oh, my!"

I must've looked incredibly silly with my jaw hanging open as I surveyed the group of guests Felicity was ushering toward us. 

Aimee was in a stylish burgundy dress holding a wide-eyed but dolled-up Rose by the hand. Bobby was in a suit, his graying hair even slicked up neatly. A half a dozen of my friends and co-workers from Marlow's were there too, all prettily-dressed and looking in awe of the whole event. 

Gilles came in behind them, pushing an all-decked-out Mrs. Schubert in her wheelchair, her husband walking beside her.

I'd invited all of them, considering they were all I got, but they had all made excuses. I figured it was probably better that they didn't come because I couldn't look after them the same time I was figuring out how to behave as Brandon's fiancee. But here they were, looking all grandly dressed and happy to have come.

"Fel, did you get them all over here?" I asked my assitant who looked lovely in an emerald green dress. "How? Why? Wha—"

"Mr. Maxfield arranged for all of it," she answered, nodding at Brandon. "It was a surprise."

I turned to him and found him grinning down at me.

My heart couldn't take it as it tightened with a ridiculous sense of happiness.

"Oh, Brand. Thank you!" I gushed at him and before I could think better of it, I practically leapt into his arms, wrapping my own around his neck as he easily caught me and lifted me off the floor. "Thank you, thank you!"

"You're welcome," he said as our noses touched. Then his eyes closed as he cupped the back of my head and pulled me in for a sweet, slow kiss.

"Mommy, I thought we were going to eat but Shar-wot and Bwandon are just kissin' again!"

Our small group burst into laughter and I chuckled as Brandon set me back down on my feet. 

"Well, I'm sure we can arrange for something for you to nibble on, Rose," Brandon said as he squatted and picked up the girl in his arms. He smiled and nodded at the rest of my guests. "Come on, everyone. Let's get you all seated. Appetizers are being served and dinner should be ready after the short program my father insisted on."

I stayed behind the group as Brandon led them to a table close to ours, chatting easily with some of them when I didn't think he'd met most of them before.

"I have a stupid grin on my face, don't I?" I said to Felicity who stayed back with me.

She laughed. "You do but it looks good there. I can see this is a total shocker."

"It is," I admitted, watching as Brandon set Rose down on a slightly raised chair next to Aimee before turning to speak to the Schuberts, extending a hand to the couple. "It's an amazingly sweet, totally welcome, absolutely mind-blowing shocker."

Felicity laughed. "Well, Mr. Maxfield is quite besotted with you so this isn't that out of character."

Isn't it? Brandon's only obligation is to marry you, keep you for a year and pay you a million dollars. Him being sweet and thoughtful isn't part of the bargain but he doesn't seem to mind. Maybe he isn't as mercenary or cold as you thought he was.

There was nothing cold about that kiss he gave me a few minutes ago. And there was nothing mercenary or calculating about his gesture in inviting my friends over to his world.

"Thank you, Fel," I told my assistant with a quick, grateful hug. "Can you do me one last favor? After that you're free to party away."

"Sure. What is it?"

Brandon turned around, looking for me, and beckoned me over.

"Can you arrange for some snacks to be handed out to the reporters outside?" I asked as I started moving toward Brandon. 

"I'll get on it," she said with a nod.

"Thanks, Fel!"

With a broad grin, I sauntered to Brandon who held out a hand to me, waiting patiently, his hazel eyes sparkling.

It required little effort to forget our secret when he was smiling at me like I was the only girl in the room. 

Maybe, just maybe, neither of us were just pretending anymore.

                                  ******

The program was short but sweet.

Martin had gotten up the stage to speak, thanking everyone first for coming tonight before turning wise blue eyes to me and Brandon who sat back, our entwined hands resting on his lap.

"There are many things I could say why I'm happy that the two of you are getting married," he started solemnly that for a second I worried he was suddenly going to blurt out that he'd blackmailed Brandon into marrying me. 

My tension eased when he smiled. "But I won't burden you with my reasons. I'd let you find them out on your own and cross my fingers that you will understand one day."

Martin wins the cryptic award. That sly old man.

I just smiled back at him, aware of Brandon's fingers squeezing mine gently as his father backed away from the stage and called up a surprise performer.

Mattie, in a sharp black suit, slipped out from the small door that led backstage with a shy, crooked smile on his face, pushing his glasses up his nose before taking a formal bow. 

"I thought you said he wasn't coming tonight," I told Brandon, turning to him and finding him smiling in surprise as his little brother took a seat by the piano I didn't realize was even on the stage.

"Dad said he wasn't," Brandon answered. "He normally never comes to any kind of dinner party even where children are allowed."

I said nothing else when Mattie cleared his throat and spoke into the microphone poised over the piano. 

"This is a song I wrote for Brandon and Charlotte," he said quietly. "It's called Nothing Else. I hope you like it."

A sweet, simple melody filled the room before Mattie's soft voice began. There was an almost angelic quality to his young voice that made the song sound reverent.

It's not hard to guess

Why there's nothing else

Either of them could see

Their eyes barely leave

One another

Not a second longer

She smiles and laughs when

He whispers in her ear

He takes in a deep breath

Whenever she comes near

No one's left wondering

Even as they're asking

Love has cast its spells

It could be nothing else.

"My God," I whispered as my heart pounded and my eyes stung with tears. "Brand, your brother is a freaking romantic genius. He's brilliant!"

"Yes," he answered in an odd tone. "And highly observant."

I frowned, wondering what he meant by that and why he didn't sound pleased.

Everyone was mesmerized by Mattie's slow ballad I could practically hear sniffling in the room. 

I didn't say anything though, and just listened in rapt attention as Mattie finished his song.

When he did, everyone rose on their feet and applauded heartily.

Mattie turned to his audience, grinned and stood up to do a deep bow before walking off the stage.

Dinner was announced and although Brandon was as polite and attentive as ever, I could feel the strange shift in his mood. Before I could ask him about it after we dined, he excused himself to talk to some people about business. Business, when he did promise he wouldn't do any of that tonight.

He reappeared when the dancing started, sweeping me around the ballroom just right before other couples joined us.

"Everything alright?" I asked, observing his inscrutable expression. "You've been quiet."

His lips tightened into a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I'm fine, Charlotte."

And that was the end of that conversation. 

I got distracted from it after more people came up to me in greeting and when the Schuberts bid us goodnight before Gilles took them home. Brandon remained stiff and formal.

I was growing irritated but before I could drag him into a corner and demand what his problem was, Jake showed up and claimed my next dance.

"I was warned you had a fiery temper," he said conversationally, his green eyes sparkling with mirth. "Looking at you right now, I could tell it wouldn't have been an exaggeration."

I sighed, some of my annoyance draining away. "Sorry I'm poor company. It's been a long evening already."

"You should probably get some fresh air or something like that after our dance," he said, concern replacing his humor. "Or maybe Brandon should take you home if you're not feeling well."

"I'll be fine," I assured him. "I'll probably skip the next two dances and freshen up and I'll be back to normal. It's a great party. I don't want to spoil it for anyone."

He studied me for a long moment that I began to worry he was seeing more than I wanted him to. 

"I don't really know who you are, Charlotte, and how you and Brandon came to be," he said in a serious tone. "If you'd been a different kind of girl, I'd ask a lot of questions knowing Brandon and how determined he was not to marry quite yet. But after meeting you tonight, I've decided my friend is quite sane and damn lucky."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Jake, if I'd been a differnt kind of girl, I'd swoon and declare my undying love for you right this moment but I'm not, so I'll say thank you instead."

He laughed and I joined in but as his eyes moved to something behind me, his easy expression darkened and his hold on me tightened.

"Jake?" I asked uncertainly, trying to glance over my shoulder at whatever caught his attention.

"Now would be a good time to freshen up, Charlotte," he said as he smoothly but hurriedly moved me out of the ballroom. "Sit out the next couple of dances and put your feet up or something."

He led me to the small hall that led to the restrooms.

"Are we by any chance escaping from a girl whose heart you broke or something, Jake?" I asked as he practically dragged me to the door of the ladies' room.

He pulled up short and exhaled a sharp breath, managing a strained smile at me. "Something like that. Sorry, Charlotte. I just had to get off the dance floor."

I tsked at him teasingly. "I guess being a ladies' man isn't always a fun, convenient thing. Good to know. Maybe fewer guys would try it."

He chuckled, lightening up. "I definitely wouldn't recommend it to every guy. Alright, I'll see you later, okay? Maybe fifteen minutes or so?"

"Yeah, yeah. Go scram into your hiding place," I told him with a roll of my eyes. 

He turned and walked away and I continued into the ladies' room.

I halted when I heard familiar voices inside.

"It looks like a vomit stain."

"It's the best that I can do, Bess."

"You should go home, Tessa. I don't know why you'd want to stick around for that skank's engagement party."

"It's also Brandon's engagement party and that skank is his fiancee so I'd choose my words carefully if I were you. What I'm wondering is what you're doing at this party when Anna specifically requested you not to come. Here you are, skulking around in the ladies' room."

I smiled, still pressed up against the door listening.

Tessa wasn't the timid little mouse everyone accused her to be. And Bessy Mitchell hadn't changed one whit since I last ran into her.

"I do as I please, Tessa, and not even Anna can boss me around," Bessy snorted. "Besides, I wanted to see how Charity Charlotte's doing. I'm sure she's in cloud nine thinking she's snapped up your brother but we both know just how deluded she is if she believes that."

A pregnant pause.

"Don't make trouble, Bess," Tessa finally muttered. "You may not care about what Anna and I say but if you cause Charlotte any kind of distress, Brandon will toss you out and my father will be right behind him to shut the door in your face."

"They wouldn't," I said out loud, walking into the room, startling both girls.

Tessa had an ugly brown stain on the area just at the seam where her neckline and shoulder strap met and she was still diligently trying to wipe it off with a damp paper towel. Bessy was clad in a short, clingy, purple dress, her endless legs showcased in sky-high, dominatrix-inspired black leather heels. Her face was fully painted on and her long, glossy brown hair was put up in a sleek, ponytail. Her pale blue eyes narrowed at me.

"I wouldn't want either Brandon or Martin to get their hands dirty by tossing her out," I said breezily as I came to stand next to Tessa in front of the mirror. "Just in case there's a new strain of STD now that can be transmitted through the merest touch. After all, if there is to be one discovered, Bessy here would be the first candidate for patient zero."

I would like to say that I was normally a nice person but something about Bessy Mitchell always goaded me into near cruelty. I knew this but didn't stop me.

Tessa's eyes rounded in shock and Bessy's lips curled down into an ugly pout. Her breast implants must've come with extra silicone because she injected some into her lips.

"Charity Charlotte," Bessy sneered, standing up to her full height. "Do you think that just because Brandon is marrying you, you could act like you're better than me?"

I glanced at Tessa and then back at Bessy in puzzlement. "No. I've always acted like I'm better than you because I am. There's nothing new about that. You prove it over and over again."

Her eyes flashed furiously. "Why, you little bitch. Don't think I'm afraid of you because you're engaged to Brandon."

She lifted her chin up, smiling smugly. "You're not the only one intimately acquainted with him. He's had a soft spot for me since I joined their ski trip last year. It was cold and we'd come up with ways to get the heat on."

Jealousy—the hot, raging kind—streaked through me but I pushed it back down.

When it came to claims of any kind of conquest from Bessy, one should be aware that many of them were as fake as her boobs.

I wrinkled my nose and glanced at Tessa who looked disgusted. "While neither of us want to particularly imagine your brother and Bessy here getting it on, I say we just agree and forget about it to discourage any more details. I only hope Brandon got himself tested to the hilt because it will ruin our wedding night if he'd caught anything from her."

"We just kissed, okay?" Bessy snarled, her cheeks flushing a deep red. "We made out a few times and it was hot as hell but we decided not to get weird about it because I was friends with Anna. But it was so good while it lasted and this is why I know that no matter how sweet and affectionate Brandon is being with you, it means nothing because he can turn it on and off like that with any woman if he chooses to."

My temper flared. "If he can have any woman he wants, anytime and however he wants her, why the hell do you think he would bother getting married and saddling himself with one particular woman?"

I know the answer to that question but Bessy doesn't and she can torture herself with it for the meantime.

Bessy's mouth twitched as if she was about to snap back at me but she couldn't muster a word as my question echoed around the room. With a frustrated growl, she stormed out and left Tessa and I in the defeaning silence.

"That went well," I finally said, giving the girl a rueful smile. "I admit I don't have a lot of practice dealing with former flames of the man I'm marrying but it could've been worse, don't you think?"

Tessa's brown eyes were unreadable as she studied me for a moment. "If Brandon made out with her, it's only probably because she threw herself at him."

I sighed and turned to the mirror to tuck back a few strands of hair that escaped my braids. "Yes, well. Bessy would throw herself at anything with a penis. But whatever Brandon did before we met is his business. It doesn't bother me."

Tessa turned back to the mirror as well and resumed cleaning the stain out of her dress. "We both know it does but you don't have to admit it."

It was time for a change of topic.

"It's not too big that we can probably cover it up with something," I told Tessa as I moved closer and inspected the stain. "The fabric is probably ruined but the rest of your night doesn't have to be."

She sighed and tossed the damp, balled-up paper towel into the trash. "I've got nothing to cover it though. I probably should just go home. It's bad enough I'm the less attractive sister. I don't want to be the grubby one too."

I grinned. "You're not less attractive. Anna is just more confident about herself. If you were too, you'd shine just as brightly."

"Sure, I believe you," Tessa said with a weak smile, obviously unconvinced. 

"Okay, we can remedy this," I said, rubbing my hands together.

I looked around the room, at her dress, inside my clutch, at my dress and the lightbulb went off in my head. "Oh, I have an idea."

I sat down on one of the leather armchairs in the swanky bathroom and reached for the hem of my layered skirt.

"Uh, Charlotte. What are you doing?" Tessa asked, watching me in horror when I caught one end of the bottom-most layer of my tiered tulle skirt and yanked hard, a ripping sound filling the room.

"No one would notice," I assured her as I pulled the layer off which was gratefully longer that the flesh-colored skirt-insert underneath. Ripping it off would only reveal a few wisps of thread and more of my sandals.

Tessa bent down and pulled the main skirt in the opposite direction to give it enough tension that would let me rip the layer off more easily. "And just what exactly do you plan with this?"

Once the layer was completely detached from the skirt, I got up and started ripping the two ends that were sewn together. "We'll fold it lengthwise until it's only about a couple of inches wide and we can tie it around the bottom of your strap and make some kind of flower bow to hide the stain."

"A flower bow? Tulle isn't exactly the most pliable fabric, you know?" Tessa said as she followed me to the vanity counter and began tugging the thread out of the of holes on the fabric. 

"I know which is why it's going to make a springy bow and stay in place," I replied, flattening the fabric down with my fingers before folding it tightly over itself to form a band. "We just have to knot it really tightly on the base so it holds."

When I had the band pinched at both ends, I stood in front of Tessa who remained still as I inserted the fabric behind her strap and started to tie it together in an artsy bow, tying it over itself a few times so the curved layers formed what looked like petals after I nudged them in place. The stain disappared in the shadow of the fabric flower bow. With its pretty rose shade, it actually complimented the peach color of Tessa's dress.

"What do you think?" I asked her as I stepped back and inspected my work on the mirror. 

Tessa's brown eyes lit up. "It looks pretty good actually. It looks like it's part of the original design."

I grinned. "Good. Now you just have to pull it off. If you believe that it's perfectly natural for it to be there, then no one will doubt it."

Tessa turned to me and smiled. "Thank you, Charlotte."

"Anytime," I said, returning her smile. "You ready to go back out there?"

She nodded. "I think so. How about you?"

I shrugged. "I just need to freshen up and then I'll be right out. I'll see you there, okay? Go dance some."

I was still smiling after Tessa left. She was really a nice girl once she got over her initial reserve and having her warm up to me was worth more than the beautiful dress I'd just ripped. Oh, well. 

After freshening up, I left the ladies' room but instead of walking back to the ballroom, I stepped out in one of the quieter balconies along the hall that led to a view of the moon-lit gardens.

I was singing softly when I heard a pair of gasps as soon as I walked deeper into the balcony.

"Oh," I said awkwardly as I saw two shadowed figures huddled in one private corner pull apart.

"Sorry, I didn't realize someone was in here," I said apologetically, backing up a step. "Uh, continue, like I never intruded."

"Oh, crap. She's going to tell Brandon."

I paused at the hushed female voice that sounded familiar and whirled back around just as Anna peeled herself off the man and stepped into the light.

"Anna?" I asked, walking back to them, concerned because even in the dim lighting of the balcony, I could sense her distress. "Are you okay?"

"Of course, I'm okay," she snapped before taking a deep breath. "I mean, I'm fine. What are you doing here, Charlotte?"

"Getting some fresh air," I answered, my eyes drifting to the guy who came to stand next to her. He was tall and lanky but handsome in an intellectual kind of way. "You?"

"Same," she answered briskly. 

The man looked familiar and I dug around my memory for a name. "And Jason Reid is doing the same too?"

That's right. Jason Reid was the city's most prominent architect and a good friend of the Maxfields. And according to Felicity's profile book, he was married to an anthropologist. I remembered this clearly because I mentioned to him earlier, when we were introduced, that it must be so exciting for his wife to be digging up history finds in her current expedition in Malawi.

Yes. He was very married. And his mouth looked quite red and swollen for a man whose wife was thousands of miles away. 

I turned to Anna whose lips were a near match of Jason's and she met my eyes with a steely gaze as if daring me to say something.

It wasn't my place to judge despite the optics of the situation. If neither of them wanted to offer an explanation, I wasn't going to stomp my feet until I got one. For once though, I sympathized with Anna. Not because I liked home-wreckers but because for once, she suddenly wasn't perfect in my eyes anymore and she knew it.

I took a deep breath and smiled. "Well, I've gotten all the fresh air I need. I'm going to head back in. See you guys, later."

The dancing was in full swing when I arrived back at the ballroom.

I spotted Bobby dancing with Becca and I grinned, about to make my way to them when Tessa appeared out of nowhere and grabbed me by the arm.

"Charlotte, stay with me," she said, barely concealing the urgency in her voice.

I frowned and stepped to her side. "Okay. What's going on, Tess? Is Bessy giving you a hard time again?"

She shook her head and led me slowly away from the dance floor. "No, no. Nothing like that. I thought we should hang out."

Okay. So I knew that Tessa had warmed up to me but her insistence at hanging out all of a sudden was out of character.

"I was just going to say hi to my friends and then find Brandon for one last dance before we head out," I told her gently, craning my neck around to look for my fiance. "I'm beat and I'm ready to call it a night."

She tugged at my arm almost as if to drag my attention back to her. "Not yet. I saw Jake and he said he still wants another dance from you."

I groaned. "My feet are killing me and I only have enough energy left for one dance. I should have it with Brandon, don't you think?"

Besides, I wanted to patch up with him. He seemed stressed and despite my inital irritation, I realized that this couldn't have been an easy night for him, parading about a fiancee he didn't really want in the first place.

I caught a flash of blond hair and smiled. "Oh, look. There's Jake."

I watched him stride along the edge of the dance floor, looking grim and determined. "He doesn't look too happy."

My brows furrowed in surprise when I saw him approach Brandon who was tossing back a glass of something. Brandon turned and glared at his friend and they both seemed to be exchanging pretty serious words. 

"What the hell is going on with those two?" I muttered in confusion. Just earlier, they were ribbing at each other good-naturedly. 

"Nothing, I'm sure," Tessa insisted. "Come on, let's find a seat somewhere in the back."

I shook my head. "I think I need to go over there and break up the two before they start shoving at each other. They look pretty mad."

I started walking when Tessa yanked back my hand. "Charlotte, no! Please, just stay here."

"Tessa, what the hell is going on?" I demanded, turning to glare at her. Her brown eyes were large and anxious. "Something must be if you're acting like this. What is it?"

"She's just trying to spare you from the painful experience of being introduced to your fiance's real love interest."

Bessy appeared out of nowhere, smiling haughtily at me, gesturing to the dance floor with her hand. "Why don't you take a look at the stunning Simone Clark? She's a former fashion model before she married her first husband. She's divorced now and runs her own organic food business. Rumor has it that she and Brandon have been involved in a torrid affair in the last six months although they've kept it on the down low. She's probably here to make it very clear as to who owns Brandon's heart."

I followed Brandon with my eyes as he stalked away from his best friend and walked up to a tall, glamorous, breathtakingly beautiful woman dressed in an elegant red Grecian-inspired column dress that accentuated her impressive height and perfect figure. Her dark hair was swept into a sexy updo and even from the distance, I could see that her face was befitting that of a goddess. 

Something churned inside me—like I ate something bad and I quickly realized that it must've been my heart which had sunk into my stomach and started getting eaten away at by the acids.

No one had ever mentioned her to me before but it was clear from the smile on Brandon's face and Simone's intimate hand on his chest that they knew each other very well.

"They already danced earlier," Bessy added, relentless in her determination to cut me up into pieces. "Jake already told Brandon off in your defense. Maybe if it doesn't work out with Brandon, Jake can comfort you. He probably won't mind Brandon's sloppy seconds."

"Bessy, you are way out of line here," Tessa said through gritted teeth. 

"You shouldn't have come," I heard Anna's familiar voice say from behind me. "You should've listened to me."

Bessy scoffed. "And miss all this drama? Not for the world. Just imagine what everyone here who knows is thinking. Brandon dances and holds in his arms the real woman he's crazy for during his engagement party to some lowly diner girl who fancies herself Cinderella."

"Don't listen to her, Charlotte," Anna said, falling into a step beside me. "I'm sure Brandon has a perfectly good explanation for having her here."

"I'm sure he thought he could get away with it after he brought in Charlotte's friends to distract her," Bessy added with a snort.

Hot tears were stinging my eyes but I quickly blinked them back.

There was nothing Bessy said that hadn't already run through my mind in the last thirty seconds but I didn't need her to further hack my heart apart.

I whirled around to her and said in a low, cold voice. "Get. The. Hell. Out. Of. Here."

Bessy's smug smile faltered a bit as she got a good look at me but then she tossed her head up and smirked. "I will now. I've seen all that I wanted to see."

"Forget about Bessy," Anna said after Bessy left. "She's just a raging bitch sometimes."

I laughed hoarsely, hearing the bitterness in my voice. "What great taste you have for friends then."

I forced myself to tear my gaze away from the dance floor where Brandon had led Simone to once again. Green eyes caught mine from across the room, concern clear in them even from a distance. I gave Jake a weak smile before turning to the sisters.

I forced the hurt back down as I'd so expertly learned during the days of my father's neglect until I temporarily felt nothing.

"Can you please make sure your Dad doesn't see this?" I asked in as calm a voice as I could manage. "If he knows about them, he's not going to be happy. I don't want to upset him."

Anna looked at me for a moment. "He went home with Mattie half an hour ago. He didn't want to disrupt your dance with Jake and Mattie was already sleepy."

I smiled even though I suspected it looked pretty brittle on my face. "Good. He doesn't have to know. Can you promise me you won't tell him?"

The sisters glanced at each other.

"Charlotte, are you sure?" Tessa asked gently. "Maybe you should talk to Brandon about this first. It's probably just a misunderstanding—"

"It's none of my business who he screws, remember?" I reminded Tessa, instantly regretting my sharp tone. "I'm just going to get Gilles to drive me home. We have to drop off some of my friends. Have you seen Aimee and Rose?"

"Gilles already drove them home a while ago," Anna answered. 

I groaned and kneaded my temples with my hand. I was so distracted, having a grand time being Brandon's fake fiancee that I completely took my own friends for granted. As fun as this gig was, I couldn't forget the truth and who I really was and the life I was coming back to once this was over.

"Charlotte, hey."

I turned around and saw Jake walking toward me, his handsome face etched with concern. He stopped and glanced at me and the sisters and realized that we all knew.

"I'm going home," I told him as I took out my phone out of my clutch and dialed Gilles. "I have a headache."

"Yes, Ms. Samuels?" 

"Can you drive me home, please, Gilly?" I asked, aware that the three of them were watching me.

"I can," the man answered. "I'm just driving Ms. Brightside home right now. She wasn't feeling well and Mr. Maxfield sent her home. I'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Is Felicity okay?" I asked, frowning. My assistand and friend was sick and I didn't even notice.

"She's just dizzy and tired," Gilles answered. "She said she just needed rest."

"Okay. Get her anything she needs and then go home and rest yourself, Gilly," I told him. "Don't worry about tomorrow. Take the day off. Tell Felicity the same thing. I'll find a cab tonight. Okay?"

"But, Ms. Samuels—"

"Goodnight, Gilly," I interjected in a firm voice. "Thanks again for all your help. Bye."

 I shut my phone off and slipped it back into my clutch.

"I can drive you home, Charlotte," Jake said, drawing surprised looks from the sisters. "I've only had one glass of wine to drink. I don't speed."

The anxious, serious look on his face was a hilarious contrast to my current situation that I threw my head back and laughed. "Just what a girl needs to hear to take you up on your offer."

He smiled sheepishly. "Well, I wanted to reassure you as much as possible considering you only met me tonight."

I turned to the sisters. "Can you guys vouch for him not being a total psycho?"

Anna smiled. "Is Jake a heartbreaker? Yes. Psycho, no."

Tessa though didn't look like she approved. "Brandon isn't going to be happy to hear that Jake took you home."

I snorted. "Brandon can go fuck himself."

I turned to Jake and grinned at him as I looped my arm through his. "Can we stop by for some cheeseburgers and fries on the way? I'm starving?"

And we did.

We slipped out of the ballroom unnoticed and got into his car. We stopped by a drive-thru and parked by the empty parking lot.

I had just taken a second bite of my cheeseburger when I burst into tears.

"Brandon is such an asshole," Jake swore angrily as he handed me a wad of paper napkins. "I'm sorry, Charlotte. I tried to get him to send her home when she arrived but he said she was harmless. That there was nothing for me to worry about. I usually trust his judgement but I had a feeling it was going to be a disaster if you saw them together."

I furiously scraped at my face with the paper towels, more pissed that I was crying. There wasn't a lot that made me cry anymore. Not for years.

"I honestly don't care," I told Jake, wiping my nose. 

He looked at me. "Why don't you care? You're marrying Brandon, for God's sakes."

Because he's paying me a million dollars. Because he made it clear from the very beginning that he was free to pursue extra-marital affairs with other women. Because I signed a goddamned contract.

Before I could answer, my cellphone rang and I answered it.

"Charlotte, where the hell are you?" Brandon demanded. "Anna said you took off with Jake. Where are you? I'm coming to get you. I've turned the ballroom inside out looking for you in the last half hour!"

I grimaced and moved the phone away from my ear. 

Jeez. You think the man could lay off on the indignation considering he's been having the time of his life with his mistress in our engagement party.

"Leave me alone, Brand," was my belligerent reply. "Jake's drivng me home. Don't interrupt your partying for my sake."

"Charlotte!"

I pressed a hand over the mouth piece of my phone and said to Jake, "He's really yelling at me now."

Before Jake could reply, I pressed the phone back to my ear. "Relax, Brand. Jake and I just made a quick stop for some cheeseburgers and fries."

Silence answered me that for a second I thought he'd hung up.

"You got cheeseburgers and fries?" was his low, even response.

"Yeah," I answered with a shrug, too exhausted at this point to feel hurt anymore. "I told you I would."

"You said you would get cheeseburgers and fries with me!" he bellowed on the other line.

Anger clenched at my heart and I took a deep breath to calm myself down. "Well, you were a little busy so I went with someone else. Now I want to get back to eating it so goodnight, Brandon Maxfield."

With that, I turned off my phone and tossed it to the floor.

Jake said nothing about it as we sat in silence and finished our food.

It was almost midnight when we arrived at my house.

A town car was parked out on the street, Brandon leaning against it with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I'll walk you to the door," Jake said, hopping out of the car before I could argue. 

"It's about damn time you got her back, Jake," was Brandon's menacing growl as he straightened away from the car and marched over to us.

Jake pressed me up against him protectively. "Don't be an ass, Brand. You don't want to have this fight right now."

Brandon shoved his friend on the shoulder that was touching mine. "I dare say I do."

"Cut it out, Brandon," I snapped, glowering at him, faltering for a moment when I saw the rage in his eyes in the shaft of light that shone down on us from the street lamp. 

I turned to Jake and smiled. "Thanks for driving me home, Jake, but you should probably go."

Jake glanced between me and Brandon. "I can wait until you get inside."

I sighed. "That would be nice but I can't trust the two of you not to pummel each other to the ground. I'll be alright, Jake. He won't hurt me. He needs me."

A confused frown marred Jake's forehead but he wisely kept his mouth shut.

He turned an annoyed glare at Brandon before walking back to his car.

Brandon and I watched in silence as Jake drove away.

When he was gone, I turned to walk up the steps, taking my keys out of my clutch.

I heard Brandon open his car door and slam it shut before rushing up behind me.

"Hey, I brought some cheeseburgers and fries," he said gently, coming up beside me as I inserted my key into the lock. 

I turned to him and saw him holding up a brown take-out bag, his face anxious, almost hopeful.

I got angry all over again.

Does he think I'm some kind of emotional punching bag?

"Go to hell, Brandon," I said before pushing the door open, stepping inside and slamming it close on his face.

Without pausing, I kicked off my shoes, zombie-walked my way to my bed and threw myself on it, pressing my face down on my pillow as the tears came.

=================

Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you to all those who voted for the previous chapter. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Here's another one for those who are excited to know where Charlotte and Brandon are heading.

How will they manage having gone so far only to trace back their steps? 

What made Brandon go from hot to cold and nearly undo everything he'd built with Charlotte in the last few days?

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter! 

By the way, I updated the chapters with some new pictures. = )

Also, I included the video of the chapter soundtrack. This song makes my heart hurt so much. Hope you can relate the story to it.

♪♪♪ Chapter Soundtrack: Between The Lines by Sara Bareilles ♪♪♪

My memory is cruel
I'm queen of attention to details
Defending intentions if he fails
Until now, he told me her name
It sounded familiar in a way
I could have sworn I'd heard him say it ten thousand times
If only I had been listening

Leave unsaid unspoken
Eyes wide shut unopened
You and me
Always between the lines
Between the lines

=================

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 8.2K 35
People believe that history always finds a way to repeat itself Perhaps, not entirely But it still does. Where the past watches their future OR W...
W.I.L.D By Jay

General Fiction

109K 6.2K 25
Four girls with distinctly different personalities are in their freshman year of college at Florida A&M university. They experience the highs and lo...
17.2K 529 58
Author: three dates Classification: rebirth From the end of the world to the ancient times, before Gu Yundong could breathe a sigh of relief, he foun...
229K 9.4K 48
Camille thought that her dream came true when she married Brandon Grant. Instead she ended up living a nightmare with a monster. Torn between loving...