People Change | Draco Malfoy...

By -Ambivalence

He was falling for you. Now he understood why they called it 'falling' in love. Like falling off a broomstick... More

People Change
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Epilogue
Author's Note
Playlist
The Wedding
Christmas With The Malfoys

One

65.6K 1.3K 1.1K
By -Ambivalence

It was the beginning of another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, meaning another journey on the infamous Hogwarts Express.

Over time, you had grown to more eagerly anticipate departing from, what Muggles called, King's Cross Station. Whilst you were at home, you were forbidden to use any magic, so it was always exciting to go back to Hogwarts and learn new spells.

Even when you had turned seventeen, you were still unable to use your magic at home, as your parents were both Muggles and they didn't want to be around it. This made you a Muggleborn witch, sometimes making it hard for you to be liked and respected in the magical community, as people didn't always consider your magic as 'pure' as someone who came from a long line of magical relatives.

Most of the time, you tried not to let it bother you. During your years at Hogwarts, you had found three amazing best friends, who always stood up for you, in an instant. Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was also a Muggleborn, had given you some of your favourite memories. You were probably closest to Hermione, as the two of you were quite alike. The four of you were known throughout the school as the Golden Team, constantly conquering the dark magic.

Now, after the devastating war, that took place last year, the four of you were all going to return to finish your seventh year at Hogwarts. Headmistress McGonagall had made a special exception, as some students didn't attend for their seventh year and she was concerned that those present didn't receive an adequate education under the control of the Death Eaters.

Then, after you sit your N.E.W.T.S and graduate, you would go out into the Wizarding World and face the harsh reality of adulthood. Though, you had been promised that you would receive countless career opportunities, due to your participation in helping to save the world.

As the train continued to make its way through the countryside, you stretched out across the comfy seats, all alone with your thoughts. The others had not long disappeared, most likely to get more sweets. It was almost rather nice to be by yourself and enjoy the peacefulness.

Staring out of the window and munching on a cherry-flavoured Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Bean, you couldn't help but find yourself wondering if Malfoy would return to complete his education too.

You were suddenly reminded of the Yule Ball, which took place during your fourth year at Hogwarts.

***

Your f/c dress stopped just before your knees and your hair was done in an elegant style, using magic. You looked beautiful and felt like a completely different person, when you had caught a glimpse of your reflection. Everything was going perfectly, just like you had envisioned it.

Stepping out of the Gryffindor common room, you felt nervous about seeing your date, a student from Durmstrang. You and Hermione had squealed with excitement, when the boys had asked you to attend the dance with you.

Half an hour had passed before you admitted that he wasn't going to meet you. Your bottom lip quivered, eyes filling with tears. You sat down on a nearby staircase and put your head in your hands, as you sobbed quietly.

You heard footsteps, so you glanced up. Malfoy was stood in front of you, concern etched on his face, replacing his signature scowl. To your surprise, he offered you his hand and you shocked yourself by accepting it. All the years of insults had been washed away by this moment. He softly brushed away your tears with his thumb and his touch sent shivers through you.

His cool grey eyes met your wide e/c ones, determined not to part. His other hand briefly held your cheek and you had delicately placed yours on top of it, before he walked away, leaving you bewildered.

***

You felt your cheeks heat up at this memory, which you dared not share with anyone. It was much too special to talk about, so you kept it to yourself, preserved in your mind permanently.

It had almost seemed like Malfoy had cared for you, during that moment. You sighed lightly, turning over. You knew that you were being foolish. Malfoy had always made his opinion of you very obvious; disgust, all because of your bloodline. Years of cruel insults had proved that.

You let out a yawn and let your eyelids gently flutter closed, as you drifted into a deep slumber for the rest of the train ride.

Your nostalgic mood instantly changed to fear, as you entered the familiar nightmare, which was all too true and felt very real. There was no way of escaping it.

***

You felt the impact of your battered body hitting the cold, hard floor and winced. Instinctively, you reached for your wand, which you always kept close to you, but it was gone.

The room was completely dark and you couldn't see anything and you didn't know what had happened to the others. You desperately hoped that they weren't hurt.

Suddenly, rough hands grabbed you, not caring if you were injured, making you yelp in pain. You were pulled along the ground, into a different room, then thrown in front of some Death Eaters. Two of them you recognised as the Carrow siblings. The Malfoys were also there and you saw Draco's jaw drop, when he realised who you were.

Amycus, you presumed, walked towards you and stroked your muddy cheek, then slashing it with his wand. "Look at her, she's as filthy as her blood is." He spat, as Alectus cackled. You were biting back a scream, which only fuelled them on more, seeing that they were getting to you.

You had to stay strong; Hermione was probably in the same position somewhere else. It was imperative that you figured out an escape as soon as possible.

Swallowing, you forced yourself to stand, entire body trembling, as the interrogation began. You knew you had to protect your friends.

The lies you told seemed believable. However, the Carrows weren't fooled. This time, it was Alecto who approached you, a large shard of glass in her hand. She gripped your wrist tightly and slashed it several times, the blood flowing freely onto the ground. This time, you wailed loudly, unable to suppress your pain. Unable to stand any longer, you fell to your knees.

Feeling very dizzy, you looked at the wound and felt nauseous. The word 'Mudblood' had been deeply carved into your wrist and it would remain forever, as a scar.

Vision blurry from tears, you saw someone walk out of the room. It looked like Draco. Two other figures also left, leaving you alone with the merciless Carrows, who had grown impatient and were drawing their wands.

"Crucio!" They shouted. Your body was filled with the worst pain imaginable, something you'd only read about. You screamed until your throat was hoarse, yet the Cruciatus curse was continually used. You finally passed out from the pain, ready to give up.

***

You were awoken by three worried faces. Sitting up, you took some deep breaths and wiped your eyes, which were teary. Ron pushed a bottle of pumpkin juice towards you and you gratefully smiled at him, before taking a sip.

"Y/N, you were screaming in your sleep again. Still having that awful nightmare?" Hermione asked, gently. She knew what it was like; she had been tortured too. She had advised you to take a potion, for a dreamless sleep, like she had been doing.

"Yeah, all the time. I'm exhausted." You admitted, absentmindedly tracing over the visible pink scar on your wrist, studying the harsh word intently. It was a permanent reminder of your suffering. The scar on your cheek was easily concealed, but you felt somewhat reluctant to cover your Mudblood scar. It didn't make sense why, though.

Hermione hugged you quickly, then told you to change into your uniform. The train was closely approaching Hogwarts.

You finished putting on your robes, just as the train halted. Perfect timing. You stepped off and waved to Hagrid, who was leading the first years to the boats.

Then, you found Neville, Ginny and Luna already sitting in a carriage. The others stepped in, but you took a moment to pet the Thestrals leading the carriage. They were beautiful creatures, but you were haunted by the deaths of many great people, every time you saw them.

Everyone chatted about their summer holidays the entire time, like the old days. The familiarity of the situation put you at ease, after the nightmare.

The carriage then entered Hogwarts, its former elegance redeemed after the war. You stepped out and entered the castle, never ceasing to be amazed by its splendour.

A swishing of a cloak could be faintly heard, meaning Professor McGonagall was nearby.

She appeared behind you, making you and Ginny jump. "Y/N L/N." She began, in a stern tone. "Come with me." You didn't need to turn around to know the puzzled looks your friends were giving you. You were just as confused as they were.

Could you really be in trouble within the first five minutes of the school year?

***

A:N The first chapter is completed! It's probably gonna be longer than the rest, just so I could set up the story. I hope you enjoyed it!

Unfortunately, I don't know how frequently I'll be posting chapters, but I'll try to make it as regular as possible.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 416 18
I loved you fearlessly, drank in your touch, smiled just as you smiled at me. Never did I think you would go so soon.
119K 2.7K 49
He didn't mean to do it. He didn't mean to fall in love with her. In fact, he despised everything that relationships portrayed. He hated the physical...
30.5K 751 21
How could a Slytherin, and Draco Malfoy of all people, possibly fall for a weak Hufflepuff? And what will he do when he finds out her dark secret? Ye...
54.5K 936 55
He's lost and confused. He's a death eater. But he's madly in love, her life means more to him than his own. Explicit content