The Highlander

By bloodxlove

When Rosaline Perriwell visited a psychic, the last thing she expected was to get thrown back centuries in ti... More

The Highlander
copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Three

14.4K 587 48
By bloodxlove

go join the facebook group for The Highlander: https://www.facebook.com/groups/465440853624062/

Go like me facebook author page please!@:https://www.facebook.com/samanthacbirch

links below in comments!

Rosaline

I woke up in Finn's arms.

The embrace was tight, desperate almost as if Finn was afraid that if he let me go I would slip away forever.

His strong arms were snaked around my body, trapping me against his chest. My arms were strewn across his body, my head resting against his chest using my own hair a pillow. My fingers were tracing spirals and swirls over his torso, my fingertips dancing gently over his body.

Light seeped through the thin tent walls, and cold gusts of wind billowed through the tent opening, sending it flapping every now and then. Thick furs were wrapped around mine and Finn's naked bodies, which were still slick with sweat from last nights, and early this morning's, activities.

I had a moment were embarrassment flushed my cheeks after we finished making love, wondering what the warriors sleeping feet away from us thought and heard (though part of me knew they heard everything). But I soon pushed past the embarrassment, knowing they probably didn't care, and as my mother used to tell me, I shouldn't care about what others think of me. A go-to quote for all mothers when reassuring their children.

"I know you are awake Finn," I whispered against his ear, biting my lip, "I felt your breathing change under my fingers."

Finn chuckled, opening one eye as if testing the waters before fully opening them both. Thinking about it now, I decided his eyes were my favourite part of him. They were a mixture of grey and blue and resembled a sky returning from a dark storm to its perfect portrait of cobalt hues.

Like a fiery anger and calm, loving nature balanced in one person.

Finn's hand rose from were it rested on my hip and a single finger gently fell down my nose, leaving a small tickle in its wake. It jumped from the tip to my cheek, his thumb also rubbing against my skin tenderly. Closing my eyes, I let Finn's fingers wander over my features and I felt a soft touch against my lips. Finn's finger traced their outline gently, separating my bottom lip from the top.

Then I felt his lips gently press against my own, replacing his wandering finger. His hand wrapped around my neck, caressing my head delicately as he pushed our mouths closer together. As his tongue ran across my bottom lip and I granted him access, his hand wrapped around my waist, pulling me from beside him to under him. He pressed his hips against mine and I moaned his name aloud, gently swaying my hips under his, the friction sending tingles of pleasure across my body.

"Laird? Rose?" Graham's thundering feet and curious tone tore my eyes open and I leant my head back to see him ducking him tall frame into our tent.

I let out a squeal of surprise and pushed my naked body against Finn's hoping to hide anything that might have been on show. My naked breasts were squished against Finn's and his body pushed mine into the ground, shielding me from Graham's gaze. Not that he was purposely looking anywhere. He was sweet, despite his fatal flaw: interrupting at all the wrong moments.

My mind cast back to the passionate embrace pressed up against a tree where Graham had also interrupted Finn and me.

"Sorry Rose!" Graham apologised swiftly and turned so his back was to us and despite how fast he seemed to move, I caught a glimpse of a cheeky smile plastered on his face.

"What do ye want Graham?" Finn seemed to growl at his friend, obviously angered by the interruption. I could tell he was enjoying our embrace. In fact I could feel how much he took pleasure in kissing me.

My cheeks flushed and I pushed my head into Finn's chest, hiding the pink glow rising from my neck and the mortified look on my face.

"I came to tell ye that I thought it best we leave now if we are to make it to McCain land." Graham's voice was full of gravity and formality but I could hear the smirk in his tone, his cheeky side always interfering with the seriousness of a warrior.

"Thank ye Graham, we will be out soon." Finn dismissed Graham and he half turned as he left, throwing a sly wink my way.

I groaned into Finn's chest, mortified.

"Why are ye hiding?" Finn chuckled when the tent opening fell to a close, shielding us from sight. His chest vibrated with his laugh, sending similar tremors around my own body.

I drew my head from Finn's chest and gave him a look that asked, 'are you an idiot?' and he responded with another baritone laugh, echoing in the tent.

I smacked him on the chest in anger and wiggled my body from under him, pulling myself to my knees as I searched for my clothes, a fur wrapped around me.

I felt Finn shift beside me, and I tried my best to ignore him and his current nakedness, as I ran one hand over the floor to grab my chemise, discarded (and slightly ripped from the previous nights escapades) in the far corner.

However, before my fingers could even curl over the flimsy material, two thick trunk-like arms wrapped around my waist and drew me to a solid chest.

I pounded on Finn's chest with my closed fists for a few moments before giving in, his sweet eyes stirring only feelings of love and desire inside me. I relaxed my body on top of his and gave him an exasperated look.

Placing a sweet kiss on my nose Finn spoke, "ye know I only jest with ye. Ye have nothing to be embarrassed about if a man walks in on us together. In fact, it would be useful everyone once and a while to let them know whose bed ye share and that yer are mine and mine only."

I rolled my eyes and lowered my lips to Finn's placing a tender kiss before running my tongue on his bottom lip. As if felt his hips rise and his hands snake up my thighs I pulled away.

"Tease!" Finn swore as I clambered to the other side of the tent, tugging and yanking my chemise and dress on, not bothering to cover my naked body in the process. I felt a mischievous smile spread on my face as I passed Finn and emerged from the tent.

"Lady Rose!" a shout came from behind me and I turned to see a warrior whose name I didn't know, although I recognised his face.

He had a strong nose, a feature amongst most of the warriors, and sharp cheekbones, he had half a beer belly with a big ginger beard and moustache that almost devoured his thin lips.

"Hi." I spoke nervously but politely, my eyes darting around for any familiar face. The man approached and I stood my ground, telling the part of me that was wary to shut up. They wouldn't hurt me, it thought, the men that wanted to left.

But did they all go or were there silent tricksters amongst us?

"My name's Balgaire Lady Rose." The man spoke.

"Oh, I'm not a Lady, just Rose." I corrected him.

"Ye are the Lairds intended aren't ye?" I nodded, still confused however whether or not that was still a cover or was true, I hoped for the latter, not that I would tell Finn that as I feared rejection. "Ye are a lady. Birthright doesn't matter much to me. My father always said a girl, no matter what family she was born into was a Lady and not to let anyone tell me otherwise."

"Well thank you Balgaire" I said his name slowly, scared I would mispronounce it. The noticeable widening of his smile told me I had got it right.

"Ye and the Laird were late getting up so the lads saved ye some porridge." A blush bloomed on my cheeks and I only then noticed the bowl of food in his hands. Emotion fluttered inside of me and I felt my heart grow fonder of the rough warriors. "It's still warm. But wont be for long so I suggest ye eat it quick. The Laird can get his own food, punishment for being lazy."

I laughed, "Something we agree on."

"Now, is that anyway to speak about yer Laird Balgaire?" Finn's voice thundered from behind me but I heard the playfulness in its undertone. If I hadn't I would have been worried for Balgaire's welfare because of the stormy look shadowing Finn's face.

"What are ye going to do about it Finn? I'm one of yer best swordsman so go on and slice my throat, see where that'll get ye at the Field of the Damned." Balgaire snorted as he handed me the bowl and turned and left, his shoulders shaking from laughing.

Finn swooped low so his head was against my ear, "he is one of my best swordsman but don't tell him that I agreed, it'll go straight to his head and he'll be challenging me for my title next." Distracted by his words I didn't notice as he swooped a spoonful of porridge from my bowl and swallowed it whole.

"Hey!" I yanked the spoon from his grasp splattering a small amount of porridge on his cheek in the process.

While Finn stood there looking dumfounded I sauntered away finishing my porridge before handing the bowl to a warrior nearby who was cleaning and packing them away.

"Why does everyone think they are higher than me today?" Finn called after me as I swung on Ares, waiting at the front of the group, "do I have to remind ye that I am a Laird. I can kill ye for crossing me."

"Keep telling yerself that Finn." Graham chuckled as he walked past him, smacking his back. "Everyone can see how soft ye really are. I blame Rose."

I didn't know whether or not I should be happy or angry at the blame.

The steady journey wasn't that long until Finn informed me that we would arrive at McCain land in less that an hour but that we were to wait out of sight for Blair to find us.

The weather was good, despite the cold nip in the air. The sun stayed shining strong the whole time and the rain stayed at bay, only the purest white of clouds passing across the blue sky.

We travelled across the hilly countryside, our eyes on the look out for villages and lone houses as we grew ever closer to the old, grey castle. Everyone seemed to be in mixed moods. They felt happy to be arriving at another ally's castle with more food, water, ale and shelter but they were also wary. One of Finn's closest allies, possibly his closest before they drifted apart as they grew older, had betrayed him, and everyone was afraid McKenzie would have gotten to Laird McCain as well.

We had to be cautious in our approach.

Our horses were placed behind the final hill before the decent into the village surrounding McCain castle, the ridings eagerly waiting to see a small brown head riding from the edge of the forest beside us.

We had waited nearly an hour when Graham spoke, "maybe we should sent someone to look for him, or sent a new scout."

"No," I objected, "He'll be here soon." I was worried for Blair and his unknown location scared me. Sending a new scout made me think he was being replacing, deciding he was never coming back to us without solid evidence.

The look Graham sent me suggested he didn't agree.

Just as I was about to argue my point further the sound of approaching hooves turned all of our heads to the small wood beside us.

Blair's horse came thundering towards us and he only regained full control at the last moment, slightly missing Ares because Finn had pulled him back when he realised we were about to crash.

"Sorry Laird." Blair mumbled, his eyes reaching Finn's dark gaze. He didn't look impressed.

"What did ye see?" Finn stood tall behind me and I felt his body tighten. From the corner of my eye I saw his gaze soften only slightly at the sight of a startled Blair but the look he sent his way still projected his anger at his lateness and entry.

This wasn't the loving Finn I knew, this was Laird Finn.

"No McKenzie warriors, it did seem like they were preparing for battle though, I think they know we are headed their way. Nothing unusual apart from that." Blair squeaked out.

Finn was silent for a moment and I took his hand in my lap entwining our fingers, his eyes flickered down to mine and I sent his a small smile.

"Ye did good Blair. Thank ye." Finn spoke, his tone softer now.

Bair turned his horse and headed into the ranks behind us.

"What now Laird?" Graham turned to Finn.

"We can either send one of us to the village and see how they react or take a risk and parade right to their door, ready to fight if necessary." Finn replied.

A smirk spread on his face, "I've always loved a good fight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.3K 2.3K 19
Escaping the immoral advances of her publisher, Adia Stone takes her career into her own hands and starts over. Scotland seems like the perfect place...
140K 9K 44
Lyla Mungan has faced many challenges in her life. Yet, nothing can compare to finding herself in an entirely different time period thanks to a willy...
636K 28.7K 23
HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION! --- For all her life, Lady Evie Verrick had been regaled of tales of the Highlands from her Highland born a...
2.6M 48.1K 16
For Kirstin Croft, the lowlands of Scotland have always been a sanctuary for protecting her sense of virtue and purity. After she becomes involved in...