Planet of the Girls

By tjpcampbell

A sci-fi adventure featuring the intelligent, wisecracking Paul Linden and his hapless brother, Gerald. They... More

INTRODUCTION
Chapter 2. The Strange Stranger
Chapter 3. The Strange Vehicle

Chapter 1. Oh Brother!

98 17 4
By tjpcampbell

Before I tell you about the crazy and incredible adventure my brother and I recently stumbled into, I think I had better just say a word or two about him. His name's Gerald and he thinks of himself as a great writer. No doubt, he would believe that he should be writing you this story. But I think when you get to really know him, you'll probably think, maybe it's just as well I'm writing it-not that I think I'm liable to win the Nobel Prize for Literature or anything. To give you idea of Gerald's talent, he recently sent a manuscript of his first novel to a publisher. The publisher eventually wrote back:

Dear Gerald Linden,

Thank you for your manuscript titled: A Day in the Life of a Road Sweeper. In your covering letter, you asked us to be frank with you regarding any potential you might have as a writer. We are happy to oblige. It is an interesting effort, and we admire your tenacity to spend "three years, four months and twelve days" writing it. However, as a self-proclaimed "Epic", it was a bit on the short side being only twenty-one pages long, especially as these pages consisted of doubled spaced lines. Gerald, they say every person has a great book in them... We look forward to yours.

Please try other publishers before us in future.

Many thanks,

Ivor Novella

Welsh Valley Publishing House

You'd think a reply like that would dampen his spirits, wouldn't you? Nope. All he said was, "Paul-" that's my name, by the way "-it's pretty encouraging that they're telling me to send my work off to other publishers. They must think it's well good. Hmmm...I shall have to look up the word 'tenacity'. I won't give up until I find it."

Just to finish off describing him, he's two years older than me, and I'm thirteen. He looks like a bigger version of me, slim with black hair and green eyes-but that's where any resemblance ends. By which I mean, I'm no Albert Einstein but when it comes to brains, my brother seems to be at least ten jellybabies short of a packet.

I won't say any more about my brother because you'll see what he's like for yourself.

Well, it's time to get into the crazy and incredible adventure my brother and I recently stumbled into, so draw your eyes closer to these words and I'll begin...

______________

I hope you enjoyed this Chapter. I welcome any votes, comments or constructive criticisms (style, spelling, grammar and punctuation errors).

T. J. P. CAMPBELL.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.6K 8.1K 144
Back by popular request! The 2017 rough draft of The Virus Within! (Caution: Contains massive plotholes that were fixed in the polished The Virus Wi...
Snow By Julia E.

Science Fiction

946K 58.5K 98
After an apocalyptic event that thrusts the world into a new ice age, Calestia - a 17-year-old girl with a strong will - must learn to survive on a l...
19.1K 190 36
"Jeremy was once a successful man with a promising career, a lovely girlfriend, friends galore, and everything that he could ever desire in the world...
85.6K 3.9K 71
"Just because we win the war doesn't mean we don't lose everything in the process." - Joey Magnom --------- Practically everyone dreams of having sup...