The Pursuit of Excellence

By SkyCastles

My mother fled Somalia as soon as the war broke out. She left the land that held skies laden with views of th... More

Kow- Constantly Floating
Labo- Beginning Pursuit
Sidex- Refugees & Students
Afar- In Hiding
Shan- The Evolution
Lix- Stories & Iftar
Todobo- Hussein's Student
Sideed - Abandoned Pursuits
Sagaal- Poetry & Math
Toban- Reestablishing Ties
Tobanikow- Kahvi For You
Tobanilabo- Pursuit of Happiness
Dhamaad--Loppu
\Author's Note/

Eber- Pronouncing Somali Letters

663 41 15
By SkyCastles

Salaaaaam/ Hi, team!

For this new story, I decided to put in a chapter dedicated to pronouncing some of the letters you may read because there are some Somali phrases.

And this is new because there was only a little paragraph in the beginning of Nazım that taught you how to pronounce, like two letters. Anyone remember which ones?

But anyway, I've upgraded.

V O W E L S

a- ah
e- eh
i- intuitive
o- *say this word in a British accent* obstinate
u- Arabic speakers or anyone who knows the Arabic word for love: it's the "u" sound in الحب. If you can't speak Arabic, then try to pronounce the long English 'u' in a Russian accent for a short period of time. I don't know.

aa- salaam.
ee- the e in beta [desis if you're out there that was for you] or imagine someone say the word "eight" in an Arab/ south Asian accent. Or the "ey" in "hey" but with less "y"
ii-the sound of a fan girl squealing. the "eee" in "wheeeeeee". say "impossible" in an exaggerated French accent-- if you do it right the last "I" will have more of an oomph.
oo-when you successfully burn/drag/diss someone and all your friends go "ohhhhh!!!". The o in çok [just drag out the o for a little longer]. When you pretend to understand what your teacher is saying so you just go "ohh".
uu-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 1.1K 28
Immigrating across the ocean wasn't too hard. It's what comes after the move that can either give you amazing opportunities, or give you a kick in th...
41 5 3
When a muslim girl who is in love with her childhood school crush and finally decided to move on. One day, she encountered her crush once again.. Wi...
495 129 26
Hey! I'm Winifred. People think I have it all,my parents are famous and I'm ridiculously rich but there is one thing I don't have and it's something...
4K 476 20
{Featured @ Wattpad friends and family profile - Celebrating Black History Month reading list (Jan 2023), Featured @ Official Wattpad's Romance profi...