Dummies' Guide to Being a Sup...

By marveled

Being a superhero's sidekick was the last thing Gretal Davidson expected, and it was the last thing she wante... More

note
Zero
One: Chillin' Like a Villain
Two: Losers Watch it Happen, Winners Make it Happen
Three: The Heck With Capes
Five: Never Stop Fighting
Six: Screw Crime, its Justice Time
Seven: Fighting Fuego With Fuego
Eight: Born to Wear The Mask
Nine: In A Serious Pickle
Ten: Fuego to The Rescue
Eleven: Stick Figures
Twelve: Get the Ants Out of Your Pants
Thirteen: Momma has the Big Guns
Fourteen: Like a Yellow Light
Fifteen: Athena vs. Arachne
Sixteen: Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game
Seventeen: Otherwise Known as Fuego
Eighteen: Operation 101: Kick the Spider's Ass
Nineteen: Its a Effing Maze
Twenty: Yippee-Ki-Yay, Motherchucker
Twenty-One: Lost it to Trying
Twenty-Two: Lets Do This, Partner
Twenty-Three: Am I Right, Mr. Little-Dick?
Twenty-Four: Lean On
Twenty-Five: You Just Ruined a Perfect Reunion
Twenty-Six: I Promise
Twenty-Seven: A Hero Altogether
Epilogue
Thank You!!
DGTBAS Playlist
{Bonus Chapter #1} Hello From The Other Side
{Bonus Chapter #2} The Girl Who Sees The Stars
{Bonus Chapter #3} Flaming Hot
{Bonus Chapter #4} Praise Kink
{Bonus Chapter #5} The Girl Who Found The Stars
{Bonus Story #1: Unlucky}
{Bonus Chapter #6} Hello and Goodbye
A/N: Im back?

Four: Kick Ass Like a Bad Ass

1.6K 128 131
By marveled

FOUR: KICK ASS LIKE A BAD ASS

"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living. But there comes a time when you've got to stop running away from things and you've got to start running towards something. You've got to forge ahead. Keep moving. Even if your path isn't lit, trust that you'll find your way."

- The Flash, from Nora Allen. The Flash (New 52) Vol. 1 #1

____________________

GRETAL MET COOPER AGAIN, EXCEPT this time it was at his locker and not in some private area where he was bullied. So far he wasn't being beaten to a pulp and its already the end of the school day. It still angered her knowing that Jordan could still pick on him. But for now she put those feelings aside.

Cooper forgot to mention that he worked for a newspaper company. Gretal didn't even have a job - well, she does now. But she doesn't even know how much she's being paid to be Summers' partner in crime.

Cooper was a part-time photographer. On his weekends he would take photos of the biggest news in Brooklyn. And he so happened to have his own camera.

He grinned at Gretal, placing the leash of the camera over his head. To be honest, Gretal thought he looked even more attractive. His boyishly adorable, yet handsome face grinning at her. God, she really wanted to slap his hideous, beautiful face. And kiss him, of course. (And yes, she did just pull a Louise Belcher.)

"What do you think?" Cooper asked her. "Am I a sore loser or just plain geeky?"

Gretal blushed, embarrassed at what she was about to say. "I think you look adorably geeky."

Cooper's face redden, but he grinned anyways. "You think I'm adorable?"

Gretal flushed, way redder than Cooper himself. "I-I also said geeky."

Cooper's grin widened. He quickly shoved his camera into his book bag. "If it makes you feel any better," he said as he closed his locker shut, slinging his bag over his shoulder, "I think you're adorable too."

God, she was going to have a stroke. "For my own health, Cooper, please stop talking."

"Anyways," he said, "I was wondering if you would want to come over. . .to, um, my w-work place or something . . ."

Gretal smiled and grabbed his arm. "You don't have to be flustered around me. And the stuttering? Do I really make you that nervous?"

Cooper's face flushed, then he smirked. And God, that smirk looked great on his face. "You're adorable."

Gretal froze, face turning red. "Y-you're a jackass."

Cooper shrugged, grinning. "I know."

· · · ·

Gretal followed Cooper out of school and soon they were in the busy streets of Brooklyn. The newspaper company he worked at was a tall building and, unfortunately, the company was called Poitler Daily. Depressing, isn't it? But then again it made thousands of dollars just for the fishy and unfishy gossip of superheroes. Especially Electric.

"Basically, I'm the photographer. Well, it is my job." Cooper started saying. "And my job is to take photos of supeheroes, exclusive or not."

"Oh," Gretal murmured, "so like Electric and his sidekick?"

"Yeah - wait. When did Electric have a sidekick?"

Crap. "I just thought he had one, since, y'know, the robbery at the bank."

She followed him into the building and she stared in aww. The building was so . . . Fancy. And for some reason it made her feel like Cooper was out of her league. And maybe he was. But like every hopeless girl she could try, right?

Whoa, whoa, I am not into Cooper, she told herself, I'm just . . . Wondering.

At the front desk sat a receptionist. She glanced up and smiled at Cooper, then her eyes landed on Gretal. Gretal thought she would die right there and then.

"Hey, Candace, this my adorable friend, Gretal." Cooper said, placing his hand on the small of her back.

Gretal remembered reading something that said that when guys put their hands on a girl's back they're trying to be protective. (It was from a school project, don't ask.) Aww, how cute, he's trying to protect me. Eww, wait, no. Wait, aww, wait, no.

"Hi," Gretal waved.

Candance shot her an angry look, then returned back to her computer. Gretal followed him to the elevator and once the doors slid closed she turned to him. "She really isn't friendly, isn't she?"

Cooper grinned at her. "Sometimes, I mean, she's nice to me, but I thought you two would get along-"

"Well, you were wrong." No wonder she acts like a cold-hearted bitch. She has the hots for Doyle.

Gretal crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes, glaring at her reflection. Cooper watched her, a smirk growing.

"Y'know," he said, "if you're jealous you can just tell me."

She snorted, rolling her eyes. "Don't flatter yourself, Doyle."

"I don't have to since you do the job for me."

"Oh, that's it-"

Bing.

The doors slid open and Cooper walked out, pulling Gretal after him. Around them was hundreds of desks with employees filing and calling.

Cooper lead her to a room in the back of the hall. And once Gretal entered she was greeted by the dazzling view of the city.

"Wow." She said, mesmerized.

Cooper nodded, smiling. "Yeah, I know."

Gretal glanced at him to see that he was sitting at his own desk. She walked toward him and watched as he took a file out.

"These are all the photos I took of superheroes around Brooklyn . I haven't got the major ones, like Spider-Man or anything. But I did get some known ones."

He pushed the photos to her and Gretal studied them all. From the superhero Muse, a woman who had the power to muse you and control your mind; to Magnetic Girl, who had the power to control metal (obviously); to Beatrix, who had the power of illusion. And then there was Electric, who in the photo was shooting sparks of electricity at a glob-monster. What a world.

"They're good. And you got all the best shots." Gretal said.

Cooper nodded and spun around in his chair. "But, there's someone I still need. Like you said, Electric might have a sidekick. And I plan on getting her picture."

She froze, blood turning cold. "Um, well, good luck. Doesn't look like she shown her face yet."

"True."

Gretal hummed. "Oh, look at the time. I should get going. I-I gotta go to work. Bye."

"At least let me walk you there," Cooper interjected.

Gretal shook her head, smiling. "No, uh, I'm fine."

"Well, next time I can come to your job, right?"

Gretal bit her lip, nerves twisting and turning. Dammit, Cooper, why do you have to be so persistent? "We'll see. Gotta go. BYE!"

· · · ·

Gretal's first hour of training started like this: she dressed up in sweatpants and a random Nike shirt, she met up with John in the training room or whatever, and once she stepped on the mat she was taken down. She wondered what the hell happened to the adrenaline she felt at the bank. Now, all she felt was the urge to eat some ice cream.

"Damn, Summers, go easy on me." Gretal grumbled.

John rolled his eyes. "Rule number one: criminals, villains, whatever you call them, they never go easy on you. Its their mission to take you down. And once they do they'll make a run for it or kill you. Either way, you got to fight back."

Gretal nodded. "Got it."

John started to circle her. Then he stuck out his leg, and miraculously, Gretal dodged and stumbled back.

"Good, good." John commented. "Keep your balance."

Gretal nodded and stood, watching him. John came around her, striking her with his arm.

Gretal fell on her side, groaning. She rubbed her side, thinking about how much she would like to kick John in the crotch.

And the jackass himself stood in front of her, a look of disappointment on his features. "Gretal," he said, "you need to keep moving. Life is all about movement, fighting is all about movement. If you're not moving, you're not living."

"You did not just pulled a quote from the Flash on me."

"I did. You need to keep moving. It'll help you get better, help you transform into a better hero."

"Right." Gretal glared at him. "Soon. . . I'll be a beautiful butterfly."

"Shut up and fight."

"That's it!" Gretal charged, knocking John to the ground. She didn't think she'd actually do it. Then again she was doing a lot of stuff she didn't think she'd actually do. Gretal stood up and let out a victory whoop. Five seconds later she was tackled to the ground.

"Oh, come on!"

John stood up, grinning. "You can't fight me, Davidson."

"Really?" Gretal raised an eyebrow. She swept her leg under John, making him fall face first into the mat. "Beat that, bitch!"

John glanced up, rolling his eyes. "You are so immature."

"Says the guy who said watching X-Men would help me with my training!"

"It does! It makes you into a better hero!"

"Oh, cut the crap, Summers! I'm just a teenage girl without superpowers. Its harder than it looks! I'll never be Batman, or Batgirl, or even Robin because I don't have that type of skill to kick ass! I'm just a sore loser. And you know it." She said, her voice coming out frustrated and angry.

"Gretal." John whispered, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Just because you don't have superpowers doesn't mean you can't be a hero. It takes more time, yeah, but its worth it. You won't have to depend on powers to make yourself a hero. You can depend on yourself."

Gretal sniffed, wiping her nose. "I'm a hopeless case. I don't know why I thought being a sidekick was worth it."

John sat in front of her. "You choose to be a sidekick for me, and for the world. You loved saving people, and you know it. Ever since that night at the bank. It became your number one priority. Then you helped Cooper as many times as possible. You enjoy saving the world, you love it. And just feeling that is enough to become a hero."

Gretal did something she'd never thought she would do. She hugged the jackass. Then she pulled away, embarrassed. "Sorry."

"Its fine. Now, get up. If you want to kick ass you got to train."

"What about the movie Kick Ass-"

"Gretal, forget about the damn movie. Fight."

And she did. She fought with all she had, falling and tumbling. But it was worth it. It was worth it if it meant saving the world.

____________________

a/n: heeeeeyyyy, hows it going? I updated, so yaaayyy. Anyways, tell me ur thoughts on this chap. And to be honest, I sort of like this chapter. The end of it, of course. Even if Electric/John seems like a total asshat he has some wisdom in that thick head of his. And I had trouble choosing which quote to use. I was like, Batman or the Flash? I think the Batman quote was better for this. Oh well. And I was searching for a cast and I think I found Gretal. I was thinking of Odeya Rush, because of Goosebumps. Idk. If u have any ideas for who I should cast as Gretal just leave a comment. Until next time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373K 13.4K 31
「𝗙𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗘」❝ I am not my parents and I will never be ❞ ▪︎ Synopsis ▪︎ Cassidy Crane was not only the daughter of one, but two super villains and tha...
104K 5.1K 34
People have heard of so many heroes, like Superman, The Avengers, etc. Danger is one of them. However, being a teenager, she has lots of other resp...
45.2K 1.1K 9
Have you ever wondered what it's like being the only Kryptonian on earth without powers? It sucks. I'm Marinette Martha Kent. Yup that's right I'm th...
He Was A Ten By jo

Teen Fiction

6.5K 423 29
I don't know why I am the way I am. I just know that it's been this way ever since I was born. Paige Roberts was born with the ability to see numbers...