Star-Crossed

By MorganRodgers

Beuren Elendil became friend with Thorin of Durin when they were quite young. Their first battle was fought t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Author's Note: Please Read!!
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Author's Note

Chapter 43

1.5K 63 5
By MorganRodgers

Kili was sound asleep, a real pillow beneath his head, a comfortable bed below him, and a lovely breeze that lulled him to sleep hours ago through the open window. They had been led to this home after the dinner, which was barely eaten. Hungry, they dared to sneak a peek in the pantry. It was obvious who this house belonged to after that, what elf eats meat? One that was raised with Dwarves, of course!

The room was so quiet that the near silent padding of feet woke Kili. He should have drawn his sword, preparing to fight off any enemy, but he didn't. He felt oddly safe here; a sword would have broken that feeling. Fili stood at the end of his bed. His brother's blonde hair looked much lighter in the morning light, or maybe it was because of the well needed wash they were allowed.

"You awake?"

"I am now." Kili mumbled, pulling himself up onto his elbows.

"Get up, you have to see this!" Fili whispered back. Kili rolled out of bed, his hair was disheveled, clothes hung loosely on him; he yawned and looked to Fili.

"Well lead on!" His brother laughed, leading him silently down the hall. They, both mastering the silent tip toe in their youth, crept to the top of the stairs. Peaking around the corner, they saw the large maple wood table that sat in the middle of the study. Thorin was bent over a map, Beuren sitting on the arm of his chair, speaking in a hushed voice, pointing at the map on the table.

"That would lead us too close to the Ettenmoors. We've had enough trolls for one trip." The boys could hear the smile in Beuren's voice when she replied.

"Well you're going to have some in your company if you don't give them at least one more day to rest."

"Yes. Two weeks, that is all I can permit, we haven't time to waste, we must make it to the mountain." Thorin said, his voice lacked its usual cold tone.

"Can you believe it?" Beuren said. "It's still... hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of going home." She leaned into his shoulder. Thorin wrapped his arm around her waist.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure Dwalin sh..." There was a loud bang from beside Fili. Kili winced at the shattered vase beside him. They looked back to see Beuren at the bottom of the stairs.

"Well, a minute and twenty seconds, that's a new record." She teased. The boys grinned sheepishly. "Thanks by the way, I've been looking for a way to get rid of that thing for ages!" She smiled up at them.

"Sorry." They said in unison. She smiled up at them.

"How 'bout you wake everyone up. The elves probably have breakfast just about ready for you."

Right on que, Kili's stomach rumbled, causing a small laugh to escape his Aunt's lips. She nodded to them to get moving. One by one they woke up their fellow dwarves. Some woke rather easy, Ori and Gloin for example, both succumbing to their grumbling stomachs. Others were not so easy, Dwalin was a perfect example, much against his own orders, the warrior had grown a feeling of... comfort... safety one might dare to call it, despite being in 'enemy' territory. He had suddenly become fully aware of just how exhausted he really was, and sleep had come to him easily, now being pulled from that slumber would be rather difficult.

Once everyone had awoken, they were led to the terrace from the evening before. Before them lay a feast, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, gravy, toast, everything you could think of for breakfast was on the table. Everyone took their seats. They were the only ones on the terrace, no elves, wizards, or anything else. But after their show last night, it's no surprise.

After breakfast everyone did their own things, taking a much needed break from everyone else. Ori found a quiet corner and drew, one of his many hidden talents. Kili snuck down to the archery range, taking time to practice his aim. Bilbo wandered, looking high and low all over the city. Balin had come across a library and couldn't resist the urge to pick up one of the many beautifully bound books. Oin had gotten permission, and not without several annoyed looks, to observe a few healers in their work. Beuren had found herself at the stables; readying a horse for a much anticipated ride... she however, wasn't alone.

"Where on this green earth are we going?" Fili asked, looking at her from the stall door. She chuckled, checking the reigns.

"Just for a ride." She said over her shoulder. "Why, don't trust me?" She teased.

"You know better than anyone I do." He replied, running a hand along the horse's bare side. Beuren paused, turning to him and smiling gently. He noticed her. "What?" With one step she brought her nephew in for a hug, wrapping her arms around his neck and nuzzling her nose in his soft golden waves. He hugged back, knowing exactly what it meant. "I missed you too." He mumbled. She pulled away, grinning back at him.

"Has anyone ever told you that you look almost exactly like your father?"

"Yes." He smiled back.

"But you have your grandmother's eyes, not the color, that's definitely your father, but their expression. I can't explain it, but it..." She trailed off, gazing into his eyes with that crooked little grin of hers. "Now, let's go, we'll make it back in time for dinner if we leave now!" She swung herself up with Fili's help. He was a little clumsier, hauling himself up to sit behind her. They rode without a saddle, making it all the more difficult to get up.

Once they were backed out of the stall, the horse bolted into a gallop. The ride was surprisingly smooth for such a rough trail and without a saddle. It was an hour or so before they reached the calmer portion of the trail. It was through a wood, the most peaceful and serine place the Fili had ever been. Sunlight shone through the canopy above, dappling the ground and the backs of the small fawns that lay beside the trail, brown eyes watching the riders without fear, waiting for their mothers to return. A smile crept to Fili's lips, reaching his eyes, he looked up to observe the singing doves above, who swooped down, almost close enough to touch. A train of rabbits, squirrels, deer, and all other sorts of woodland creatures followed behind, all curious to what the riders were doing here.

They came to the edge of a stream; pristine water flowed, reflecting the tree tops. Beuren slid off the horse, nodding for Fili to follow. They slipped out of their boots and rolled up their legs of their pants. Together they crossed the cool stream, making their way a little further into the wood. A ten minute hike led to their final endpoint.

Beuren took a seat on the soft grass, propping herself up against the trunk of a great maple tree, its branches reaching out far and wide, grasping for anything it could get a hold of. Fili lay next to her, his head propped up against her thigh. Beuren had taken the courtesy of packing a fine meal for the two of them. They feasted on fresh fruit, the creamiest cheese Fili had ever eaten, mouthwatering meat sliced paper thin, and bread made that morning. Fili and his Aunt sipped on the finest mead, laughing over stories that she shared.

"Has Kili ever told you the story of his first shot with that bow you gave him?"

"He was pretty decent I thought!" Fili looked perplexed. How could she have known? "Oh, come now Fili, did you really think I was never there?" Her young nephew stayed quiet, eyes turning up to the sky. "I was there, little one, I was always there."

"What for exactly?"

"Well, I saw your first kiss." A light blush spread over his cheeks. "You were twenty two, she was a pretty little thing, gorgeous black curls in her hair, a small red bow tied back the most of it." The tips of his ears glowed. "Is the brave Fili getting embarrassed?"

"No!" He said, smiling nonetheless.

"Let's see. I was there for Kili's first shot. And for his first challenge with Dwalin. I was in the tavern the day you had your first ale and Kili's. I was there for... about half of your birthdays and your brother's. I saw your first fight, how else would that knife just magically showed up by your head!" He looked up at her in awe. "You see Fili, I couldn't stay away." She smirked. "I just liked you too much; I got a little bit attached."

"A little bit?"

"Just a tad." She giggled, running a hand over his hair, it was a comforting feeling, something that his mother and her had both done when he was young. They were quiet for a few moments before he plucked up the courage to ask, not wanting to ruin her mood, but he had to know the answer.

"So, Aunt Beuren?"

"Hm?" She asked, leaning her head back into the tree and closing her eyes, continuing to run her hand over his golden hair.

"I don't want you to be angry..."

"But?"

"I have to know. What is going to happen between you and Uncle Thorin?" She stopped all movement, even breathing. Fili held his breath to, hoping to avoid one of her nasty tempers.

"Honestly, Fili." She said, sitting up straighter, starting up her comforting gesture again. "I think, with time, that we will fix... us." He silently let the air free from his lungs. "We spoke last night; I explained to him that I was tired of always being angry, and that I was willing if he was willing. He agreed to think about it and get back to me in the morning."

"And what did he say?"

"Nothing."

"Then what happened?" She leaned back again, a smirk tugging at her features. Fili looked up at her, eager to hear the answer, but she stayed silent. "Well?" Beuren could hear the eagerness in his voice. She opened her eyes and looked down at him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 720 22
As the journey towards the mountain grows more difficult, Thorin and y/n's newfound love is put to the test. When it comes down to it, what will he c...
45.3K 1.2K 15
Tauriel and Legolas were friends for as long as they can remember. Yet they never had been honest about their feelings. Legolas soon has to marry an...
191 0 8
Thorin Oakenshield survived the battle as did his nephews and is King under the mountain. It has been a few years since the journey and his dear frie...
20.7K 573 31
🥇#1 in Thorin 4/10/2024 The reader joins the company on the quest to reclaim the dwarven homeland of Erebor. It becomes much more problematic than...