Handcuffs, Kisses and Awkward...

By LovelyLivvi

[This book has officially been published and only a sample remains. See inside for details.] Nora Montgomery'... More

Important
Part I
Chapter [1]
Chapter [2]
Chapter [3]
Chapter [4]
Chapter [5]
Chapter [6]
Chapter [7]
Chapter [8]
Chapter [9]
Chapter [11]
Chapter [12]
Chapter [13]
Chapter [14]
Chapter [15]
Chapter [16]
Chapter [17]
Chapter [18]
Chapter [19]
Chapter [20]
Chapter [21]
Chapter [22]
Chapter [23]
Chapter [24]
Chapter [25]
Chapter [26]
Chapter [27]
Chapter [28]
Chapter [29]
Chapter [30]
Chapter [31]
Chapter [32]
Part II
Chapter [33]
Chapter [34]
Chapter [35]
Chapter [36]
Chapter [37]
Chapter [38]
Chapter [39]
Chapter [40]
Chapter [41]
Chapter [42]
Epilogue
An early holiday treat!

Chapter [10]

354K 8.9K 2.4K
By LovelyLivvi

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.  

T e n 

            I had thought of this night over and over since the day I met Chris Baker.

            I also thought I'd be wearing something a lot more... suitable for the occasion. Since I couldn't exactly wear sleeves, I had to squeeze into a strapless dress. The material was soft and silky, the kind that slipped between your fingers like delicate and icy waves. Tossing Chris' blazer over my shoulders, Ryder and I headed downstairs to where Chris was waiting.

            Dressed in a pair of dark washed jeans and a grey button down, Chris stood at the door, engaging in small talk with Patrick. Eve was there too; completely convinced that Chris had brought her a ham. Eve really liked ham and according to her, Chris smelt like ham.

            "If it's not ham, is it bacon?" Eve asked, sniffing around.

            Chris looked a little startled as she advanced towards his chest pockets. "I, uh, didn't know I was meant to bring a ham..." He looked at Patrick in desperation.

            Patrick just wrapped his arms around Eve, placing his hands on her stomach as he pulled her away and pressed her against him. "We have some leftover ham in the fridge, baby," he soothed; Eve instantly melting.

            We had reached the bottom of the stairs then. Chris' looked suddenly so young and awkward as he watched my sister and her boyfriend contently wrapped in each other's arms. He looked away from the couple, suddenly finding the wall across the room extremely fascinating.  Then, his eyes flickered towards us.

            "Nora," he breathed, watching as we made our way towards him.

            "Hey," I mumbled nervously, tucking a piece of golden hair behind my ear and wrapping the jacket around me tighter.

            "You look beautiful," he commented, before looking over at Ryder. His tone turned to ice as he said, "How cute. You colour coordinated with my gorgeous date."

            I looked over at Ryder. Patrick had lent him another one of his T-shirts and this time, it was grey. I hadn't realised how impeccably it matched the silvery material of my dress. Ryder and I exchanged quick glimpses, just a quick flicker before we returned our gazes back to Chris. Ryder stepped forward for a single second and briefly whispered something to my date. Chris narrowed his eyes, lips tightening to a thin line as Ryder stepped back. Together, they stared each other down with a silent intensity. Chris returned his gaze to me a moment later and smiled.

            "You ready to go?" He held out his hand.

            Linking my arm through his, we stepped out into the night and towards his car. It was dark and sleek, gazed with a metallic coat of paint that glittered under the faint, golden flow of the streetlights. Ryder and I, since we were now conjoined twins, were forced to sit in the back seat. Chris still held the door open for me, but stepped away once I was in and let Ryder finish off what he started.

            The serious tension between the two guys was starting to bug me and I had the urge to demand answers to avoid awkwardness for my date, but the way Chris looked through his rear view mirror every so often to sharply stare Ryder down made me pause. Sighing, I gazed out the tinted windows and out into the night, as if I could really see anything.

            The ride to the pizza parlour was short. It wasn't in town, which had surprised me. As Chris made every smooth turn and passed every streetlight, I started to become unfamiliar with the roads. I realised we weren't heading towards where the main shopping attractions were. In fact, we were just passing through streets full of houses.

            After a few minutes of awkward tension in the car, we stopped at a house. Well, it looked like a house from the outside. The bright lights glowed from the inside, radiating the small building with a warm shine. But when Chris held the door opened, I was surprised to see what was inside.

            The area was set up like small restaurant. I expected to walk into a house, but instead of seeing a kitchen and connected dining room, the place was just a wide floor of space. Small tables and chairs dotted the area and a few booths were lined up against the far wall.

            It smelt wonderful. The delicious aromas of fresh vegetables and baking pizzas through a smokey wood fire tickled my nose and teased me. My stomach involuntarily growled as we followed Chris towards a quiet table under the faint glow of a golden light. As we passed customers, the soft chattering of voices sounded, glasses clinking and gentle laughs filled the room.

            The welcoming warmth of the room made me shrug off the blazer resting on my shoulders as we sat down. "This place is amazing," I whispered in complete awe.

            "This place was originally on the main street," Chris explained as he picked up the laminated menu and scanned through. "The place had different owners back then though. When they died, the Jones family took over and found that the main street rent was too expensive, so they decided to open here."

            "In a house?" I questioned, picking up my own menu.

            Chris chuckled and shook his head. "No. This is the old part of town, where some of the oldest houses were built. This place used to be a post office."

            "Complimentary bread from the chef." A waiter dropped a roll of sliced garlic bread onto the table. It was only four slices, but it sure smelt heavenly.

            "Free bread!" I cheered.

            "Ah, Conrad is up to his old tricks. Be careful. This garlic bread is probably the most amazing thing you'll ever eat," Chris warned. "Chef always brings out complimentary bread just to encourage customers to buy a whole roll."

            Picking up a slice, I broke my piece into two. The sound of the crunchy outer crust crumbling was just mouth-watering, especially as I watched the soft, fluffy centre tear effortlessly down the middle. The garlic butter had soaked deep into the soft bread, giving off the most amazing aroma.

            I think I almost moaned.

            When ordering came around, Chris told me to pick out whatever I wanted. Although there was just about every topping available, I chose a simple seven-cheese pizza. Judging from the garlic bread, simplicity was delicious. When a giant pizza was placed in the middle of the table, each a different slice, I instantly dove for my cheese piece.

            Ryder lazily reached out and snagged an all-topping slice, tormentingly glaring at Chris with satisfaction as he leaned back in his chair and took a big bite.

            "You better be paying for that." Chris nodded at the pizza in Ryder's hands.

            "What are you talking about?" Ryder replied, tipping his head back and shoving half the slice into his mouth. "Aren't you the one taking Nora on the date?"

            "Yes," Chris answered coldly. "But I'm not taking you on the date."

            Ryder simply held up the handcuffs. "Two or none, bro. We're a package deal now."

            Chris just glared at him and picked up a meat-lover's slice of pizza. Then, before you know it, the guys are in a silent battle to see who can eat and shove the most pizza into their mouths. Seriously, I was starting to feel like I was the third wheel intruding on their date. Within minutes, the boys were battling between the last slice while I was just finishing my first.

            Looking at them glare at each other as they feasted their eyes on the last slice, I sighed. Reaching over, I snatched the last piece and shoved as much of it in my mouth. Chris looked over at me for a moment, crazy and wild, but as he kept staring, his eyes melted and his shoulders sagged.

            Like a little boy, he muttered, "I'm sorry, Nora..."

            While I was struggling to swallow all the pizza I had stuffed into my cheeks, Chris turned his attention away from me and looked distantly towards the back of the room. His lips twitched, then his eyes fell back on mine.

            "Would you please excuse me?" he said, wiping the corners of his mouth with a serviette before scraping his chair back and walking away.

            I watched him walk towards what I presumed to be the bathrooms.

            "Prepare for disappointment," Ryder warned, picking his glass up and taking a swig; the ice clinking as the liquid in the cup stirred.

            "Don't be so negative," I replied, picking up my own glass and raising it to my lips, but not drinking.

            I mean, Chris wasn't that type of guy, right? Admittedly, I was a little worried at school after our encounter, but once the date progressed, I enjoyed myself. Sort of. The awkwardness with Ryder was pretty tense, but putting that aside, Chris was a great guy... wasn't he?

            Five minutes turned to fifteen and fifteen turned to thirty. All that remained were empty plates and bread crumbs. Couples, friends and families

            "Excuse me, Miss, but we're going to have to ask you to leave," a waiter said, sounding sympathetic.

            I looked towards the direction where Chris had disappeared. Sighing, I looked up and smiled wearily. "I understand. May I please visit the ladies room first?"

            The waiter nodded and walked away. Dumping my napkin onto my empty plate, I scraped my chair back and tugged Ryder along. Twisting our way past chairs and people, we headed towards the restrooms, but instead of going towards the ladies' room, I paused in front of the men's'.

            "I don't need to go," Ryder said.

            I shook my head. "Yes, you do. I know Chris isn't a bad guy. He would never stand me up. I'm pretty sure he ate his pizza too fast. Maybe he's sick."

            "Nora..." Ryder's voice quietened and he gave me a half smile. "I don't think..."

            "Ryder," I interrupted, my voice sounding hurt and desperate, although I tried to conceal it, "please..."

            He sighed and pushed open the door, me following behind him. The instant stench of seriously strong pee and some other unidentifiable odour filled my senses. Holding my nose and breathing through my mouth, we crossed the damp floors towards the urinals.

            "Hey, lady! This is the men's room!" someone shouted from across the room.

            Ignoring the grunts and complaints, we stopped at the urinals. Ryder just stood there, a hand in his pocket as he watched me. "Well, are you gonna take your thing out and pee or something?" I hissed.           

            Ryder raised an eyebrow. "I told you I didn't need to go," he answered.

            I narrowed my eyes at him. "But you can't just burst in here without a reason," I muttered. "Especially with a girl chained to your wrist. Just pee, dammit, so we don't look like creepers looking around at everyone else  peeing."

            Ryder just rolled his eyes and picked a urinal in the corner while I scanned the area for Chris. He was in there. He had to be in there. In the stalls maybe. Chris would never stand me up... He's not that kind of guy. I mean, sure, Ryder was being a third wheel on our date was a pain in the ass, but he wouldn't really-

            And that's when I heard Chris' voice. "Slower. No, slower!"

            It was coming from one of the bathroom stalls and instantly, images of bathroom hook-ups with waitresses flashed through my mind. Ryder was serious about not needing to pee, because in seconds, he was zipping his fly up and looking towards the stalls.

            "Crap, man! What the hell is wrong with you? I said slowly or you're gonna drop me in the freaking toilet!" Chris hissed.

            And that's when I realised where his voice was coming from. It wasn't in the bathroom stall. It was above the stall. There he was, legs and butt casually hanging out the little slither of a window as one of his mates lowered him down. Pursing my lips, I watched him struggle to squeeze through the gap.

            I was mad. Mad that he felt the urge to ditch me. To use the oldest trick in the book and sneak out through the bathroom window. I felt cheap and used. Thoughts of him playing me with some other girl made me clench my fists. How dare he. How dare he even think he could get away with doing two dates at the same time.

            Marching my way over to the stall, I poked his butt. That's right. I poked his butt. I heard Chris' head hit the glass as he kicked his legs and tried to scramble out to see who had just touched him.

            "Uh, man, I'm straight, okay? No need to feel up my ass because I ain't into dudes. I have girlfriends."

            Girlfriends? Girlfriends? As in, plural? Feeling my anger spark up even more, I punched his butt.

            "What the hell? This is basically considered as rape! Get your hands off me!" Chris started freaking out, legs kicking around in all directions to try and free himself from the awkward position.

            "Oh, sorry, dude," I said, watching him tense when he realised it was me. "I thought you liked having hands all over you, you sick bastard!"

            "Nora," he squirmed, "it's not what it looks like..."

            "Save your excuses, you man boob!" I cried, throwing the cubical door opened and storming out.

            My whole body was shaking, so I had to clench my fists to regain some control. I felt my cheeks flush as we pushed our way out of the men's bathrooms and past all the staring customers. Once we exited the restaurant, I was relieved to feel the cool air kiss my heated cheeks. I tore Chris' blazer off my shoulders and threw it into a muddy puddle, watching the expensive material soak up the dirty water.

            Ryder called a taxi over and we hopped in. He hadn't said anything. Nothing at all. And although I was usually begging for him to be silent, this was the one time I needed him to say something. Anything. Even if it was a simple, 'I told you so.' Because I didn't want to have to put up with his humiliation later.

            After a few minutes of silence, Ryder did speak. "You didn't deserve this."

            I didn't look at him. I stared straight ahead, eyes glazed with tears. It was so blurry, I could hardly see the road properly. My anger had bled into embarrassment and hurt and once I blinked, the tears rolled down my cheeks. It was dark inside the taxi so I hoped he couldn't see.

            But I turned my head towards the window, just in case he saw me cry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

650K 19.7K 42
2021 Watty's Shortlist! *Mostly edited* T/W: physical abuse "Why did you sign me up for Tinder?" I roll my eyes, "Why else do you think? To get you a...
5.4K 122 21
Isabella Shields was supposed to be many things. To graduate college and become a CSI to take after the steps of her grandfather. To one day find a g...
1.7M 75.7K 29
"Don't look at me like that...I will tear your clothes off if you try me" The last thing Skyler Blake wants is a man in her life. Not after the last...
48K 281 31
[COMPLETED] When Nathan arrives back home from a business trip, how much is he willing to pay to get Isabelle back? ⚠️18+ Contains explicit, sexual a...