Chikara (Divergent Fanfic)

By Kinborough

Chikara (εŠ›) is the Japanese term to describe "strength, power". This term expresses itself throughout the sto... More

Adelaide "Popper" Foster
Prologue
(Author's Note)
Chapter One- First Impression: Naive
Chapter Two- Tough Teachings
Chapter Three- Warming up
Chapter Four- Showing Vulnerability
Chapter Five- The Morning of Station Day
Chapter Six- The Afternoon of Station Day
Chapter Seven- Pulling a Few Strings
Chapter Eight- Capture the Flag and An Unfortunate Event
Chapter Nine- Last Day?
Chapter Ten- When New Fears Appear
Chapter Eleven- Explaining to Four
Chapter Twelve- Invitation
Chapter Thirteen- Disagreements and Unwanted Encounters
Chapter Fourteen- Sprouting Feelings and a Personal Mission
Chapter Sixteen- An Unneeded Argument and a Special Night
Chapter Seventeen- Morning Thinker
Chapter Eighteen- Vulnerable, Yet Touching Moments Are Always the Strongest
Chapter Nineteen- No Backing Out
Chapter Twenty- Reality of it All
Chapter Twenty-One- Slipping
Chapter Twenty-Two -Person of Interest
Chapter Twenty-Three -Understanding
Chapter Twenty-Four- Nothing With Inflection
Chapter Twenty-Five- Eric and Four's Personal War
Chapter Twenty-Six- Patches
Chapter Twenty-Seven- For the Past Few Days
Chapter Twenty-Eight- Quick Last Events
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Selfishness
Chapter Thirty- Going as Planned
Chapter Thirty-One- Away We Go
Chapter Thirty-Two- It's Okay
Chapter Thirty-Three- Oh, The Irony
Epilogue
An Author's Announcement!

Chapter Fifteen- A Decision Had to Be Made

371 17 0
By Kinborough

"Here is the list of the initiates that you will be administering. Since we have three administers today, you will have seven initiates. Remember to look out for unusual ways the initiates do to get out of the fear and fast times that seem off," Eric stated, handing me a paper with black print.

I nodded, "What would you say would be an average time?"

"As of now, they should be able to conquer their fear in about ten minutes. However, the fastest time ever recorded was six. I'd say look out for anything that is below six"

"Okay."

Eric smiled before rubbing my arm, "Don't stress about it. Just get through the simulations, and make the decision after."

I nodded at him before he left with a quick step. I entered the room to see that the computer was already booted up and hooked to the sensors I had to place upon the initiate's head. A silver table was also set up next, holding the vials filled with fear serum, a couple needles, and sterilizing cloths. In the middle sat a silver, metal chair that reminded me of an upright gurney with arm rests.

I looked at the list Eric gave me and examined the names:

Peter

Molly

Lukas

April

Mike

Sarah

Tris

I caught on to Eric's sneakiness on slipping Tris's name on my list.

I went out of the room to be met by the faces of the initiates, who in which were eager to get this part of the day done and over with. At least some of them were. Others looked completely terrified and just wanted to get the hell out of here. To be honest, I wanted the same thing.

"Peter, you're first."

The day seemed to go by quickly. But, I can't say that for the simulations. Peter's went by faster than everyone's so far with six minutes and forty-five seconds. However, everyone else was around the nine or ten minute margin. So, that meant that everyone so far was on the average mark. But I didn't think that Peter was Divergent just because there was nothing out of the ordinary about how he got through the simulation.

"Tris, you're up."

She walked somewhat hesitantly towards me, giving Four a sideways glance before entering my testing room. Her long hair was put up in a ponytail, showing off her tattoo of three birds on her collar bone.

"That's a nice tattoo," I said, trying to spark up conversation.

She nodded, "Thank you."

I smiled, placing the sensors on her temple.

"You know, I haven't seen you around a lot."

"I've been really busy," I said, filling up a syringe with the serum.

Tris changed the subject, "Were those your actual fears? In the presentation simulation?"

I nodded, "I know, some of them are childish."

Tris shook her head, "I don't think so... He likes you."

"Who?" I asked, a syringe gun in one hand.

"Four."

I looked at her with a confused expression, "And how do you know?"

Tris smiled, "By the way he looks at you."

I smiled, "I'm glad. Now, the serum takes sixty seconds to kick in. Your target time to is around nine or ten minutes."

I placed the needle on her neck and injected the serum. Her body shifted into a more comfortable position before being dragged into an illusion.

On the screen, Tris started out standing in the front of the fence. I watched as she looked around, observing her surroundings.

Squak!

Tris looked up in the air to see a flock of ravens circling in the sky. She watched them continue their routine until the flew at a downward angle, aiming towards her. Once one bird did it, the others automatically copied the same process.

Beaks and claws started picking at her face, shoulders, arms, and torso. She flailed her arms and started to back away, trying to shoo the birds away. It ended with her falling down, mud caking her face. She stares into the puddle right next to where she landed. The birds still picked at her clothing and skin. It was like she didn't even know they were there.

"This isn't real," she said.

After, she plunged her body quickly into the water. The puddle then turned into what seemed like an underground oasis. She kept swimming, but soon the light source that was there started to dissipate, leaving her to swim in the dark.

A shocked expression came upon my face. How in the hell did she do that. I then switched my gaze to the bottom of the screen.

Three minutes and fifteen seconds.

Two times faster than Peter's time.

I heard her body jolt upward. I turned to see that she was breathing deeply as if all of the oxygen was drained out of the room.

"Tris," I said.

She looked at me with fear in her eyes.

"How did you get away from the birds?"

She shrugged, "I dove into the water."

I nodded, a small smile coming upon my face.

"Tris, I'm going to ask you a question, and I want you to answer me truthfully."

She nodded, "Okay."

"Are you Divergent?"

Her brown eyes just stared into mine. A sudden change in her breathing became noticeable, becoming short and silent.

"Yes."

I nodded and turned back to the screen.

"What are you doing?" She asked in urgency.

I smiled as my mouse hovered over the erase button, "Let's just say that the serum for some reason made you sick today, so the results we got didn't seem to be worth it."

I clicked on the erase icon, completely wiping out her status.

"Why are you helping me?" Tris said in a confused manner.

I shrugged, "You were brave enough to tell me the truth. And I have my own ideas about Divergents, so let's keeps this under wraps, okay?"

A smile was presented on her face, "Thank you."

I nodded, "Your friends are probably waiting for you."

She quickly rushed out of the room, catching up with some of her friends. I took the liberty of packing up everything, so it was at least a little easier for the medical assistants when they came to take it back. I shutdown the computer after submitting all of the results and a report on why Tris's was deleted.

"How did it go?"

I jolted my head up to see Four standing in the doorway, his hands dug into his pockets.

"All of them had an average time, except for Tris and Peter. Peter's time was six minutes and forty-five seconds, and Tris got sick on the serum, so I sent her out of the room to go rest in the dorm."

He nodded and smiled before entering the room and closing the door.

I looked at him suspiciously, "What are you doing?"

"I know that she is Divergent, Addy. You don't need to hide it."

"Addy?"

"You don't like it?"

My face flushed as I shook my head, "No, it's fine."

A silence came over us before he started to talk again, "You like her, don't you?"

I nodded, "She has so much potential that she can offer to Dauntless. She is intelligent, and I know that she can benefit us in the future. I just don't want to have to see her go or be killed because she has a special ability."

Four sighed, "So what did you do?"

"I wiped out her sim and gave her a detailed report on why I had to erase it."

He nodded, "We'll keep this as our secret, okay?"

I nodded.

"That wasn't why I came in here, though."

Confusion covered me, "What was your original purpose?"

Four sighed nervously, "I-uh, I wanted to know if you would like to come over to my apartment later tonight?"

I looked up and smiled, "Yes, I would love to. What time?"

A relieved smile came over his face, "Seven o'clock because I have something else planned."

I nodded, "See you then."

He nodded and gave me one last glance before turning to walk out the door, heading to an unknown destination.

After I finished organizing the supplies, I made my way down to the dining hall to eat some lunch. Upon entering, I immediately saw Eric, Lucas, and Max sitting at a table at the far end. Lucas noticed me right away and waved me over, getting up from his seat. I made my way over and braced myself for a hug.

Lucas enveloped me in a hug, "Hey."

I hugged him back, "Hi."

He broke his hold and motioned me to the table. On the table was an array of food including hamburgers, fries, cake, and pizza.

I decided to sit in between Eric and Lucas with Max sitting across from me. As I piled food on my plate, I felt Eric's breath hit my ear.

"Are you in or out?" He asked in a whisper.

I took a deep breath in. What did I want to do? But then, an idea sprouted in my head.My eyes glanced between him and Max before I swiftly lifted my head to whisper in his ear.

"I'm in."  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.8K 2.2K 36
Sequel to 'Ruthless' Peace. Thats all the people wanted. Some died for it. Some sacrificed for it. Grace Matthews: The girl who killed her mother and...
542K 12.9K 28
BOOK 2 of 2 It felt like it's been months since she last saw him. She didn't even know if he was dead or alive. And all Vanessa could only hope he wa...
9.2K 166 18
This is a backstory for Eric. I've taken bits and pieces from the Divergent series and also the movie. I also used the book about Four that recentl...
304K 6.4K 35
She has always held the world in her hands. Especially when it comes to Dauntless and everything and everyone in it. She's entitled to it, or so she...