The Facebook Stalker

By tierney1984

Kate Anderson, a girl from a small farming community in Glendale, Wisconsin just got the break of her life... More

The Facebook Stalker -- Prologue
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 1
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 2
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 3
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 4
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 5
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 6
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 7
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 8
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 9
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 10
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 11
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 12
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 13
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 14
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 15
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 16
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 17
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 18
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 20
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 21
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 22
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 23
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 24
The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 25
The Facebook Stalker -- Epilogue

The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 19

31.4K 383 128
By tierney1984

Kate wasn’t sure if ‘Pete’s’ text was supposed to frighten her, but it didn’t. Maybe if Kate hadn’t found the cameras, it still would have. She was growing sick and tired of his games, and just wanted it to all be over with. Whatever that meant. 

A soft knock came on the door. Walking to the door and peering through the eyehole, Kate saw Amanda standing out in the hallway. Opening the door for her, Kate said, “Oh, hey Amanda.”

“Hi, Kate. Do you mind if I come in?” 

“Sure. The place is kind of messy, though,” Kate told her, laughing a little. 

“I’m sure you don’t have anything on my room,” Amanda replied, joining in Kate’s laughter. “Look, I just wanted to come over and apologize,” she added.

“What for?” Kate asked, sitting next to her friend on the bed.

“Well, for acting like such a royal bitch, really. I mean, after I really thought it over, you weren’t being too outrageous for thinking it could’ve been me texting you. I mean, we had just gotten into a fight of sorts, and when I left, I was kind of ticked off at you. If I did have my phone with me, I promise that I would’ve shown you. But it really was in my room the whole time.”

After Amanda’s apology, Kate looked at her friend and said, “You shouldn’t be apologizing. I should be. I was acting like a crazed person. The thought of you texting me that crazy stuff shouldn’t have even crossed my mind. You’ve been nothing but kind to me.”

Sighing, Amanda said, “Well? Friends?”

Smiling, Kate said, “Friends.”

After a quick hug, Amanda asked, “Um, Kate?”

“Yeah?”

“Uh-um, well-- what are these wires hanging everywhere?” 

“Oh, you’re never gonna believe it. This creep ‘Pete’ fellow somehow installed these tiny cameras all over my room, and one in the bathroom, and has been watching my every move since I don’t know when.”

“For real?!” Amanda asked, incredulously.

“Yeah, for real.”

“Well, what’s that mess over there on your carpet? Is that your phone?” Amanda asked, pointed at the shattered plastic Kate had forgotten to clean up.

“Oh, yeah. I got a little mad and launched my phone at the wall,” Kate informed her, with a small chuckle. “Oops.”

“Geez, with a pitch like that, the Chicago Cubs would love to have you on their team!” Amanda exclaimed, laughing.

“Yeah, maybe so,” Kate said, staring at the pieces of her phone. “But do you know what? ‘Pete’ was ever so kind to send me a new one,” Kate added, pointing to the flip phone on her nightstand.

Picking it up, Amanda said, “Well, that was uh…. Nice of him.”

“I guess,” Kate muttered.

“So, he’s been--watching you?” Amanda asked.

“Yeah,” Kate confirmed.

“Wow.” Amanda sounded almost breathless. 

“And that’s not all. He’s cut off my contact with everyone. Before I busted my phone, I could only receive calls and texts from him, not call out or send anything out. He hacked into my online accounts -- email, Facebook, everything, and deleted it all and somehow made it to where I couldn’t make any new ones.”

“Oh, man, Kate! This is serious!”

“I know. The worst part is, though, that I can’t even inform the cops about what’s going on. He knows all about my life back home. Megan, my parents, even my dog, Freckles. He said he’s hate for something terrible to happen to them if I decided to alert any authorities, in so many words.”

“Oh, Kate---”

“Yeah, tell me about it,” Kate replied. “Oh, hey,” a thought occurring to Kate, she asked, “why aren’t you at class right now?”

“Oh,” a little laugh escaped Amanda’s glossed lips, “I’m sick, cough-cough.”

Smiling, Kate said, “Oh. Playing hooky. I see.” Amanda just nodded. They sat in silence for a few minutes, and then Amanda stood up.

“Hey, you wanna get out of here?” Amanda asked.

“More than anything. Let me grab my purse. Oh, and this phone. Just in case, you know---” Kate trailed off, and Amanda just gave her a worried look.

The girls walked down the hallway, descended the stairs, and headed out through the main doors.

“Hungry?” Amanda asked, looking over at Kate walking next to her.

“Yeah, actually,” Kate answered, noticing the small rumbling in her stomach. 

“How about getting something at Mel’s? My treat,” Amanda offered.

“Okay, sure,” Kate agreed. Who was she to look a gift horse in the mouth? After a short walk, the girls walked into the diner and were seated right away. There were other diners inside, but it wasn’t overly busy, as most of the regulars were still in class. 

Getting comfortable in their booth, the same waitress from before appeared before their table. Kate noticed the waitress gave her a wary look before asking for their drink order. Amanda ordered a diet soda, and Kate a sweet tea, no lemon. The waitress bustled away to retrieve their drinks. 

“So, what are you going to get?” Amanda asked.

“Oh, I don’t know. Probably the turkey club sandwich and some of their fries. I’m so hooked on that sandwich,” Kate answered, smiling. The turkey club sandwich really was fantastic. “How about you?” she asked.

“I’m not sure. I think I’ll just go with a cheeseburger and fries. Keep it simple,” Amanda replied, smiling in return. Just then, the waitress returned with their drinks.

“You ladies ready to order, or do you need a few more minutes?” the waitress asked, still eyeing Kate every few seconds.

“We’ll go ahead and order,” Amanda responded. Amanda gave the waitress her order, and then Kate gave hers. 

“I’ll get that right in. Let me know if you ladies need anything,” the waitress rattled off, walking away.

“I wonder how rehearsed that line is?” Amanda wondered out loud to Kate.

“Sounds like it’s very rehearsed,” Kate stated, smiling. 

Chatting about school and classes, Kate kept as far away from the topic of ‘Pete’ and his craziness as possible. Thankfully, Amanda never brought him up either. Kate was beyond grateful. 

“Hey, I need to use the little girls’ room. I’ll be back in a minute,” Kate announced, rising from her seat.

“Sure thing,” Amanda answered.

****

When Kate returned a few minutes later, Amanda was staring out the window and absentmindedly stirring her soda with the straw. 

“Hey,” Kate said, sitting back down in the booth.

“Oh, hey,” Amanda answered, bringing her attention to Kate. 

After another couple of minutes, the waitress returned with the girls’ orders. They munched quietly and happily for quite sometime. About three quarters of the way through the meal, Amanda asked, “Hey, when we get done here, would you want to go to the park or maybe hit up the mall and do some shopping?”

“Hmm.. No, not today, I don’t think. I’m suddenly awfully tired. Maybe tomorrow or this weekend?” Kate offered.

“Yeah, sure,” Amanda sounded a little hurt.

“Sorry,” Kate told her. The park or shopping did sound fun, but the stress of everything must really be getting to her, because Kate was completely exhausted. Flagging the waitress down, Kate asked for a to-go box.

“Sure thing,” the waitress replied, smiling. She was probably thankful Kate hadn’t had an episode like before.

“Oh! Me, too!” Amanda called after her. The waitress turned her head, smiled, and raised her hand in a half-wave, acknowledging Amanda’s tardy request. When she returned moments later, two to-go boxes and the check in hand, she laid them all on the table.

“Just pay at the counter, ladies,” the waitress told them, out of habit.

“Will do. Thanks,” Amanda replied, smiling. “Very rehearsed,” she added to Kate. Nodding in agreement, Kate just smiled. “Hey, why don’t you go ahead and get out of here. I got the bill, like I said. You look totally wiped, no offense,” Amanda said as they gathered their things to pay and leave.

“Well, all right,” Kate answered, tossing a ten dollar bill on the table. “Maybe I’ll feel better after a good nap or something. I guess all the stress and craziness of everything that’s been going on has finally caught up with me,” Kate added, hoisting her purse onto her shoulder.

“Yeah, probably. I’ll talk at ya later. Get some rest,” Amanda replied. 

Giving her a small hug, Kate headed out the door and back towards her dorm room. Kate felt like sleep was going to overtake her any second, and she couldn’t get to her bed fast enough. Finally, after what seemed like a five mile hike, Kate reached her room, and her bed, and collapsed on top of it. Glancing at the alarm clock before her eyes heavily shut, the time read 3:02pm.

****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 135 23
Kendall Anderson has dealt with anxiety her whole life. Now, the summer between high school graduation and the start of college, she must face the de...
1.3M 23.3K 33
When Dana Thomas's parents get divorced, and her aunt and uncle pass away, her mother decides it's time for a change - just in time for senior year o...
1.5M 38.3K 53
Emma has sworn never to fall in love, but when circumstances force her to move in with her brother's best friend there are definite sparks. Like when...
164K 4.2K 40
"Whose name will you moan tonight?" She repeats the question and I let out a breath at her words. "Yours, only yours, Miss." I quickly reply, watchin...