iAmTalon (On Hold)

By DoNotMicrowave

Who is James Talon Harrington the Fourth? His friends would say he's the pretty boy of the group. His coach w... More

iAmTalon (On Hold)
Chapter 1 The Kickoff
Chapter 3 First Down
Chapter 4 Forward Pass

Chapter 2 The Fumble

147K 6.2K 1.8K
By DoNotMicrowave

His wrist snapped as the football left his hand and spiraled down the field. He barely saw Finn's fingers wrap around it before a human wall rushed towards him. Air flew out of his lungs as he was propelled backwards and tackled to the ground.

"You just got owned," Mitch crooned. Jumping to his feet, he offered a hand and pulled Talon up.

"Shut up." He rolled his shoulders back and forth, working out the kinks. Getting tackled was part of the sport, but it could hurt like hell—especially when it was someone like Mitch. The guy was built like a tank. His shoulders took up so much space he was surprised they didn't have their own zip code.

"You'd think he would be in a better mood after last night," Kevin, another linebacker, commented. "That girl was fine. Did you see the ass on her?"

His lips curled at the memory. "Thank God for rusty pipes."

Training was being held at a college campus this year because their usual camp was three feet under water. He was irritated when he first heard the news. Being bussed to a new location four hours away wasn't his definition of a good time, but when he learned a gymnastics summer session was being held he quickly changed his tune.

Kevin slapped him on the back. "You lucky dog. I heard Aaron was forced to sleep in the common room."

"It was uncomfortable as hell," a voice piped in.

Talon looked over as his roommate sidled up alongside them. Black hair was plastered against Aaron's forehead and his uniform stained with mud.

"And the bastard didn't even give me a warning," Aaron continued, wiping his face with the bottom of his jersey. "He just walked in, grabbed my shirt and tossed me out."

Talon shrugged, refusing to feel guilty. "What are you going to do—sue me?"

"That's not a bad idea."

"Sue him for emotional damage," Finn suggested, propping one hand on his hip and the other holding the ball.

He threw his friend a dirty look. "Not helping."

Aaron crossed his arms. "You could have at least texted me so I had some warning. I didn't even have time to grab a blanket or anything."

"Aww does Aaron need his blankie to sleep at night?" Finn cooed, tickling Aaron's chin.

He jerked his head away. "You should have made her bring a friend."

"Come on, man," Mitch groaned. "Get your own girls. Don't rely on pretty boy here to get them for you."

Aaron frowned. "I can get girls."

"Please, we all know you have about as much game as Finn."

"I've got plenty game!" Finn protested, tossing the football in the air and catching it with one hand. When he tossed it again, Mitch swiped the ball mid-air.

"You were saying?" he taunted, wiggling the ball in Finn's face.

Talon relaxed as listened to his friends banter back and forth. This was the life. Football, friends and fun. He couldn't image a better way to spend the last few weeks of summer. If only he could stay at camp instead of going home. Of course if he didn't leave he would never get his phone back. It was surprisingly hard to be without. In fact, he'd planned on texting Aaron to tell him he was bringing a girl back to the room, but he couldn't remember the number.

Smirking, he remembered the girl fawning over the brown dog pictured on the phone. He pretended it was his and made up a story of a family dog named Felix who thought he was a cat. It was pretty funny if he did say so himself, but the girl just gave him a blank look and asked if he ever thought of taking it to a therapist.

First of all, why someone would take a pet to a therapist was beyond him and secondly the fact that she was serious about it scared him. He shook his head. He bet that Keeley chic would have gotten it. She probably would have played along.

The ends of his mouth lifted as he remembered their last conversation. She was going to be furious when she found out he spent her money on condoms. Served her right for not password protecting her debit card. Good thing she switched phones with someone as wonderful and understanding as himself. Otherwise, her bank account could have been wiped clean and she would have been bankrupt. In all honesty, she should be thanking him for teaching her an important life lesson.

"The only reason that girl was even interested in JT was because he was pumping iron like his life depended on it."

The smile on his face faded.

"He was in the zone," Aaron commented.

His fingers flexed at his side as he remembered the conservation he had with his dad yesterday.

"He didn't even notice that girl until you pointed her out, Finn."

"Don't get me started," Finn groaned. "I should have been the one taking her back to my room."

"Like you stood a chance," Kevin shot back. "She was out of your league."

Finn tilted his head back and shrugged. "You're right. She was completely out of my league. Hell, she was even out of JT's."

Expectant eyes turned toward him, but his mind blanked. "What?" he mumbled.

Mitch's brow furrowed as his eyes dropped to Talon's hand. Talon followed his gaze and realized his hands were stark white from clenching.

"Dude, so you agree?" Finn asked with a cheeky grin.

He nodded hesitantly, unsure to what he was agreeing to. Mitch gave him a questioning look as everyone else high-fived.

"Honk the horns—we finally got Harrington to admit he's not a God."

"Pigs do fly."

"I wonder if this is how children feel when they find out Santa Claus isn't real."

"Wait. Santa Claus isn't real?!"

Mitch held up a hand as the group broke out in laughter. "You guys should go hydrate. It's been a long practice."

Finn stole the football out of Mitch's grasp and started tossing it from one hand to the other. "We'll get water some back at the dorms."

"You guys should get some now. We don't want anyone to pass out again like last year." Coach had talked to both Mitch and Talon right before camp. He said one of their responsibilities was to ensure every player was getting enough water, carbs and electrolytes.

Finn's expression tightened at the order. "Aren't you going to drink too?"

"I will. I just need to talk to JT about some stuff."

Aaron gave a good-natured grin and saluted. "Whatever you say Captain, my Captain."

"Co-captain," Finn corrected. Bitterness leaked from his voice as his lips puckered.

An awkward silence fell over the group. Kevin and few of the others glanced uneasily at each other looking unsure of what to do or say.

Aaron stepped in and slung an arm over Finn's shoulder. "Thank God we're not part of that. I'd hate to spend extra hours with Coach after practice every day. Talk about a miserable way to spend a Friday afternoon." He steered Finn toward the sidelines where the water cooler was and gave a quick wink over his shoulder.

Talon gave him a chin nod back. He really should have brought a friend for him last night. He'd have to make it up to him somehow.

"Alright," Mitch said once they were alone. "Talk."

Talon sighed and ran a hand over his face. "That was extremely uncomfortable. We need to do something about him before his attitude affects the other players. We can't have a divided team."

"Agreed, but that's not what I mean."

Talon widened his eyes and said in an innocent tone, "I don't get it. What do you want me to say?"

Mitch dropped his chin and gave him a knowing look.

"Well, there is something that's been bothering me." He looked down at his cleats and let out a long breath. "I don't know how to say this, but..." Glancing up, he winced and admitted, "I'm out of Peeps. I ate my last pack this morning before practice."

"I thought you brought a whole suitcase full of them?"

"I did."

He shook his head in disgust. "I'm not even going to touch that right now."

"Great." Talon clapped his hands together. "Good talk. Glad we did this." Pivoting, he headed off the field, but a hand clamped down on his shoulder and stopped him in his tracks.

"We're not done."

"I think we are," he said lightly. He winced as Mitch's grip tightened. "I think we should discuss how many hours you're putting in at the gym. It's not healthy. I know you took a vow of celibacy, but there are other ways to express pent up frustration. Collect stamps, take up curling, create duct tape sculptures...any of these sound good? Any at all?"

"JT..."

He turned around. Posture rigid. "It's not a big deal."

"What'd he say?"

"What did who say?" He really didn't want to talk about what was bothering him right now. All he wanted to do was go back to his room, eat a couple packs of Peeps, and then crash for the night. Was that so difficult?

"There's only one reason why you'd be so worked up like this. Obviously you talked to your dad yesterday. What did he say?"

"What do you think he said?" he hissed. "The same as he always does. Analyze and criticize every little decision I make on and off the field." Talon glanced over at Coach Ricketts—aka The Traitor. "He's been getting daily updates about the practices."

Mitch lifted an eyebrow. "Harsh."

"That's not even the worst part. He has Coach videotape it all." His nostrils flared. "Every. Single. Practice."

"That's....intense."

"Intense?" Talon repeated, his volume rising in level. "Try obsessive. Obtrusive. Obnoxious. Obscene. Oppressive—"

"I think I get it," Mitch interrupted. "He's a lot of O words."

Talon began to pace. Football camp was the one time out of the year he could truly enjoy football. No watching his step, no fear of getting lectured. He could just....play.

And now it was ruined.

What was the point of even coming here?

"Well, you did hook up with a college girl."

Startled, he realized he must have talked out loud. "True," he answered slowly. But in all honesty, he only did so because she made for a good distraction. He hadn't planned on sleeping with anyone. In fact, the sole reason why he bought those condoms was to piss Keeley off. And boy did it work. It was like fireworks going off on the Fourth of July. He would have paid to see her expression. Hell, he would pay just to see a picture of her. Over the past couple of days he tried to imagine what she looked like, but every time he did, it never seemed to match the sound of her voice.

"It must have been real good to put a smile like that on your face," Mitch commented.

"What?" he asked, his forehead crinkling. "Oh...yeah. It was the best. Bar none."

"What are you going to do about your dad?"

Any amusement he felt immediately dissipated. "Nothing. What can I do? He holds all the cards."

"Can't your mom stop him?"

"This is the one area Ma won't touch. She refuses to interfere. Says something about figuring it out on my own," he muttered, waving a hand around. "What's to figure out? Dad stops coaching me and I stop feeling the urge to duct tape his mouth. A win all around in my book."

A sharp whistle cut across the field.

"Harrington!" Coach Ricketts yelled, beckoning him over with his pointer finger. "Need a minute."

He exchanged looks with Mitch and then jogged to the sidelines. "Yes, Coach?"

His face was apologetic as he held up a phone. "It's for you. Your dad said he tried to call your cell, but it went straight to voicemail. He's worried."

Damn Keeley. She must have turned his phone off. The one thing that was sure to piss his father off even more. What the hell was she doing over there?

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and then exhaled slowly, trying to calm himself down before the yelling match that was bound to start. He brought the phone to his ear and said, "Hello?"

"Why is your phone off, Talon?"

Grinding his molars, he counted to ten and then said evenly, "I told you not to call me that."

"And I told you that your phone had to be on at all times. That was one of the conditions we had when we bought you the truck. Do you remember that conversation?"

"Yes, sir. I remember."

"Then I would like an explanation."

He debated whether or not to explain the cell phone debacle. It would certainly ease the bite out of his father's anger, but if he told, then his dad would insist on getting the phone from Keeley and he wasn't sure if he wanted that.

On one hand it would be awesome to have his phone again, but then on the other he wouldn't be able to talk with her anymore...or even meet her.

Rubbing the back of his neck, he said, "Sorry, Dad. I accidentally turned it off. I guess I dropped the ball on that one. It won't happen again."

"It better not. Or else I'm taking away your truck and your mother will be driving you everywhere."

He flinched at the thought. "Understood, sir. No more screw-ups. I promise."

As his dad started going over the day's practice, he silently wondered if he was crazy for being interested in a girl he never met.

***

A/N I make a percentage off every ad you watch. I know ads can be annoying but the money I make goes back into my writing. I use it to buy new writing software, computer, fix anything that's broken and also host international giveaways. So if you get an ad please watch it. Think of it as a way of supporting me and my writing on Wattpad. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 260 9
Grace has been a babysitter for the Owen family for years. Read as they turn her from just a babysitter into their own personal Toy.
21.3K 2.7K 31
It's gonna be short stories. Most of the stories will be around 10 to 15 chapters. If you are new to my profile, do check out the short stories I.
29.9K 896 17
𝐋𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠...
45.1K 229 22
Just fun little one shots I do in my spare time. No regular update schedule it's just whenever I find the motivation.