Primeval's Twist (A Primeval...

By SherlockPhones

Katherina Dracula has been there from the start. Her father, being one of Professor Nick Cutter's closest fri... More

Chapter 1: The British Museum (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 2: The British Museum (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 3: The Abandoned House (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 4: The Abandoned House (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 5: Helen's Hospital (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 6: Helen's Hospital (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 7: The Airport & The Fake Anomaly (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 8: The Airport & The Fake Anomaly (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 9: Fungus (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 10: Fungus (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 11: Birdy Escape (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 12: Birdy Escape (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 13: Dracorex In Shining Armour (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 14: Dracorex In Shining Armour (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 15: A Dead Future (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 17: Camping With Rhinos (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 18: Camping With Rhinos (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 19: Don't Leave Me Behind (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 20: Don't Leave Me Behind (part 2)✔️
Sequel (part 1)
Sequel (part 2)

Chapter 16: A Dead Future (part 2)✔️✔️

1.5K 31 27
By SherlockPhones

22/7/15

I don't own any of primeval, it's plot or characters unfortunately. However, Katherina and her family are mine. All credit and rights go to impossible pictures.

I had to include this picture of Becker from this very episode because come on how hot does he look here? Just bask in his glory.

~~~~~~~~~~

Katherina's POV:

We quickly pulled up at the race track, having been called by Abby to say her brother, Jack, was with the anomaly and seemed to have been attacked by something. We ran in, Abby and Connor having pulled up behind us, to find an empty garage.

"He's not here." Sarah spoke as she walked over to Jack's bike, which laid on it's side.

"He's gone through the anomaly." Abby whispered as she stared at the now unlocked anomaly. "I have to find him."

Abby began walking to the anomaly with the rest of us.

"I'm sure he's fine." Sarah reasoned.

"What was he doing here anyway?" Danny spoke angrily.

"I don't know." Abby shook her head. "He stole my detector." She whispered.

"It's your responsibility to keep that safe!" Danny gritted.

"He went in my bag." Abby spoke quietly.

"This is going to take time to fix." Connor cringed as he examined the locking device.

"What happened?" Danny asked.

"It's been run over by a car."

Abby sighed.

"Look we'll get him back," Danny spoke to Abby. "Connor you stay here and get that fixed."

"No," Connor shook his head. "No way, I'm staying with Abby."

"Erm," Sarah walked forward. "Danny I can figure the locking mechanism out."

"It just needs resetting and synchronising." Connor spoke to Sarah as Abby began waking to the anomaly.

"Look this isn't some school trip!" Becker shouted to Abby. "We've got to wait for backup."

"You wait if you want." She stepped through.

I turned to Becker as I followed her.

"If it was Kiyo in there..." I trailed off as I also disappeared through.

Danny, Connor and Becker followed not seconds later.

What we found, was a disaster. We stood on a platform of land, almost like a floating island, as the surrounding land had crumbled. Cars littered the roads, covered in god knows what, and buildings were completely smashed and demolished. No life was anywhere to be seen.

We walked forward and turned slightly, taking in the surroundings, unable to believe it.

"Where are we?" Danny whispered.

"The future." I replied.

"Our future?" Abby spoke.

"How many years away?" Danny sighed.

"It's hard to say." Connor sighed too.

"Guys, look at these cars." Becker motioned us over. "They could be centuries old."

"Or maybe not." Connor whispered.

"Look, what we've got to do is find the kid and get out of here." Danny began waking forward.

"What's happened to this place?" Becker wondered.

"Where is everyone?" I added as we followed Danny.

"Let's just concentrate on the job, he can't of gone far." Danny walked in the lead.

"Unless he's spooked." Becker wrapped his free had around mine, this place giving both of us a bad feeling.

"He'll be somewhere nearby, he's not an idiot." Abby shook her head.

"Well..." Becker snorted.

"Abby," Danny called her attention. "Look." He pointed to the orange sports car from before.

"The car!" Abby shouted.

The street to the car was blocked with a row of broken cars. Abby, Connor and I walked down one side of the near-demolished vehicles while Becker and Danny took the other.

"Jack!" Abby began shouting his name as she ran. "Jack! Jack!"

As Abby began shouting, a predator suddenly emerged on the wall above her.

"Up there!" Becker shouted as he raised his gun at it.

Connor ran and grabbed Abby, wrapping his hand around her mouth.

"No!" I shouted to Becker as he made to shoot at the creature.

However, both he and Quinn ignored me, firing off at the predator and shooting it down.

"Come on!" Danny shouted to us.

Abby and Connor ran between two cars to get to Becker and Danny, me following close behind.

"Go! Go!" Becker shouted as he took up the rear and pushed me forwards, after the others, in the opposite direction of the car.

We ran into the front porch of a large, stone building to hide.

"Well done," Abby spat at Becker. "You've just alerted every predator for miles!"

"I'm sure your shouting already did that." I muttered dryly.

"Well I didn't have much choice, did I, Abigail?" Becker spat at her in a whisper.

"What are you talking about? Danny asked quietly.

"Predators," Connor began. "They're uh, well we don't know how or when they evolved, but we know they're intelligent and quick and... Really mean."

Danny and Becker just stared at him. Becker pulled me into his side, so all sides of me were protected between him and a stone column. He raised his gun for further protection and scanned the surroundings.

"It's a case of we kill them or they kill us." I whispered.

"Why are we whispering?" Becker hissed.

"They locate their prey with echolocation." I rested my head against his arm, not happy to see these things again.

Danny raised his eyebrows, confused.

"They see sound." Connor filled.

Danny sat, Becker following and pulling me into his lap. Abby and Connor shared a look.

"If they got loose," Connor looked around. "Humanity never stood a chance."

"That's it, we go back, we need backup." Becker glared at Abby.

"He could be injured." Tears sprang to Abby's eyes. "We can't leave him here with those creatures."

"Yeah? Well I'm not risking her." Becker sent a nod in my direction.

"It's her brother." I spoke quietly and turned slightly in his lap so I could place a hand on his cheek.

I rested my head in the crook of his neck and sighed tiredly.

"If this was Kiyo..." I trailed off as my thumb drew a pattern on Becker's jaw.

He pressed his face into my hair and took a deep breath.

"I need to keep you safe." He whispered, pain in his voice. "I can't do that here."

"But we can't leave him. I'll be okay Becker, I'm not just a regular citizen, I can protect myself."

He stared at me, slightly confused.

"We'll talk about it when we get back." I smiled. "Meaning we both have to get back."

He smiled a small smile back.

"Katie's right, he's her brother. We stay." Danny spoke.

"You're supposed to make the tough decisions." Becker spat as he got up, his hands around my waist.

"I just did." He hissed and turned to Abby. "And you, you calm down."

She nodded quickly.

Danny and Becker walked back to the row of cars, Becker having given me a handgun for protection. We watched them and waited for the signal as they gestured for us to follow. Abby, Connor and I walked on the opposite side of the cars again.

Suddenly, the car door next to Danny opened and a baby predator jumped out. It clawed and swiped at his neck, scraping away the skin, before Danny shoved it back in the car, kicking it to the floor. He slammed the door and stared at us in shock.

"And that was a baby, right?" He clutched his bleeding neck.

We nodded.

"This is insanity." Becker turned to Danny as Connor walked to them.

Abby sent them a glance, before taking off to the car. I followed. We crept down the cars, scanning the actual cars as well now, when out of nowhere, another baby broke through a glass window on a car. Becker appeared in the same second and wrapped his arm around me, pushing me into Abby and both of us through a door and into some kind of building. Danny and Connor ran after us and joined us. Danny slammed the door behind him.

As soon as we were in the safety of the room, Becker released me and tuned on Abby.

"I will say this one more time," he spat as he grabbed her collar. "Getting yourself, and Katie, killed will not help your brother. I like you but I'm telling you now, if she dies," he pointed at me. "You will be the next to go."

He let go of her jacket and shoved her away, walking to check on me. Seeing I was fine, he wrapped me in a hug and sighed into my hair.

"Don't you bloody dare go off again. If I was a second later, you would be predator fodder." He growled, his arms tightening in anger.

"How many times do I need to say I can look after myself!? I'm not a child, I know what I'm doing."

I pushed away from him, frustrated he wouldn't trust me.

He sighed and closed his eyes in pain.

"I am worried about you okay." He grabbed my head in his hands and placed his forehead against mine. "I can't loose you. I can't."

I sighed before leaning up to press a hard kiss against his lips.

"I will make it out of here, okay? You have to promise me you will too." I stared into his eyes as I spoke.

"I promise." He pressed his lips to mine again before turning to the others.

"We need a fully armed search and rescue team."

"Abby," Danny looked at her. "Having a team of armed, trained soldiers will help us find your brother. It's a fact."

"Danny's right." Connor stood.

"You too?" Abby spun on him. "You've always hated him haven't you!? You'd be happy if he was dead."

She shoved Connor before turning and walking out the door. I followed her, Danny close behind, both of us knowing the pain of loosing a brother. Becker followed, gun drawn with Connor behind him. Abby, Danny and I made it to the other buildings before a predator burst out of the door next to us. We froze and tried to stay quiet, all of us huddled in the doorway as it crept next to us.

"OI!" Connor and Becker shouted at the same time. "You!"

The predator snapped it's head in their direction.

"Go!" Connor shouted at us as the predator took of after him and Becker.

My eyes widened but before I could shout for Becker, Danny's hand slapped over my mouth. He shook his head and my eyes widened in desperation.

Abby took off again, leaving us with no choice but to follow. A quiet snip echoed from the room we previously inhabited, showing Becker had shot the creature with a silencer.

I sighed as we followed Abby.

"I didn't ask for your help." Abby whispered as we caught up to her.

"Well you've got it." I said quietly.

She stopped in her tracks. "He's the only family I have. I've got to help him." She stared at the ground.

"Listen," Danny walked to her. "I'll make you a deal. We'll go to the car, but if he isn't there we have to go back and get back up."

She turned to look at him and nodded slowly. "Okay."

We arrived at the car not 5 minutes later, but even from where we were it was clear Jack wasn't there. Abby ran to the car.

"Abby!" Danny hissed.

She didn't listen and threw her hands to her head when she saw it was empty.

When she turned to shake her head at us, a quiet call for help came from a hole in the building next to us. Danny put his finger to his lips to shush us.

"Help! Somebody!"

It came again.

Abby ran to us when she realised something was happening. We all stuck our heads in the hole.

"Listen."

"Help! Please help!"

"Yes!" Abby fist-pumped the air. "It's Jack." She nodded.

Danny grinned as he turned and scanned for Becker and Connor.

"Jack!?" Abby hissed into the hole.

"Abby?" Jack called back. "Abby!"

"Jack, you have to keep quiet!"

"Abby, you've got to get me out of here. There's these things, they're disgusting."

"What are they?"

"They're horrible, they're slimy, they stink!"

"He's okay." Abby sighed. "Hey." She nodded as she spotted Becker and Connor.

I stood and walked closer to them. "Guys!" I hissed.

They ran to us as Danny turned to Abby.

"Alright listen, I'm gonna go down there, you stay with them."

"Okay, thank you." Abby smiled.

Connor and Becker made it to us, Becker coming to me while Connor went to Abby. Becker wrapped an arm around my waist and put our backs against the wall, meaning we could both still use our guns and keep a look-out while being close.

"You okay?" I whispered.

"Peachy." He spoke dryly. "You?"

"Crystal." I winked.

"Abby?" Danny spoke from down the hole. "We need a rope."

Connor went straight to the backpack Becker had brought and pulled out some climbing rope. He and Abby untwisted it before tying one end around a metal bannister. They fed the other end down the hole.

When Danny had Jack wrapped up, Abby, Connor and I began trying to pull him out while Becker stayed watch.

Do you know how hard it is to pull someone who's already heavier than you out a hole? Its like the closer he got to the top, the heavier he became. I'm probably stronger than Abby and Connor together, simply because I have worked out all my life, but there's no way I could do this on my own. And when Jack began slipping back down, it became clear I couldn't do it with them either. Abby, knowing she was probably the weakest, called to Becker to swap places. They did and Becker took a place in front of me to pull Jack up. I was slightly distracted by Becker's bulging biceps, but now is not the time.

"Connor get him out of here!" Danny screamed.

We pulled harder, trying to get Jack out when Abby called to Becker again.

"Get him up!" Becker switched places with Abby again.

Danny appeared in the entrance and began helping pull Jack up. I let go so Danny could pull and turned to help Becker. What I saw scared the living hell out of me.

Predators completely surrounded us.

Becker turned to us as he gripped my arm. "Whatever happens, just get him out of here."

He took the silencer off his gun, making me realise his plan.

"No." I shook my head quickly as I fisted his shirt in my hands. "No! You promised me, not 5 minutes ago, that you would make it out of here alive!"

"There is no other way." He spoke slowly as he wrapped his arms around me. "Please keep safe and get out of here."

"No!" I cried into his shirt, tears forming in my eyes. "Not without you! I refuse to cross through that anomaly without you!"

"You have to!" He hissed.

"No!" I sobbed as the tears spilled over. "No..."

He smiled sadly as he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my lips softy. I wrapped my arms around his neck, squeezing as hard as I could. I pulled away slightly to beg him, but he merely pressed his lips back to mine. He pulled away completely, looking into my pain-filled eyes one more time, before turning and sprinting in the opposite direction to the anomaly.

"BECKER!" I screamed as more tears pored down my face.

He stopped at my scream and turned to face me. "I love you, Kate." He ran off again, this time shooting at the predators.

He tore off around a corner, all the predators following.

"BECKER!" I sobbed as Danny grabbed my arm.

I turned to see Jack out of the hole and glared; if not for that stupid kid, Becker would still be here.

Danny shook me to get my attention.

"Run!" He shouted and pushed me after Connor, Abby and Jack as he pulled a flare from his bag.

Connor grabbed me and pulled, as my natural instinct screamed to run towards Becker, not away from him. Danny pulled the flare and threw it into the hole. He ran and pushed the rest of us, as the hole exploded up to ground level, throwing us to the floor.

Danny scraped the skin off his hands when he landed; Abby's hair turned black from the explosion; blood dripped down the side of my face from where I landed; Connor sported a long, bloody graze on his cheek. Otherwise we were fine, merely disorientated from the blast which probably drew predators for miles back to us. Danny pushed us towards an old bus and forced us through the door, closing it behind him. It was so full of dirt, we couldn't see out, nor could anything see in.

"Be quiet," Danny turned to Jack. "Especially you!" He spat.

I ignored them as I went and sat on a seat at the back of the bus. I stared at my hands as they began to blur with tears again, those tears stinging down my cut face.

He's gone.

I didn't even need to tell him I loved him for him to disappear like all those I do love.

I never told him. He died not knowing I loved him.

I'm so fúcking stupid.

"Becker?" Danny frowned.

Connor shook his head.

Danny came and sat next to me, letting me bury my head in his jacket to try and muffle my sobs.

"Hey." He whispered as he rocked us. "It'll be okay. I'm sure he's fine." He sounded more like he was convincing himself, not me.

We both know that even Arnold Schwarzenegger himself wouldn't hold up against a pack of predators. Although I do love Arnie, he would undoubtably be terminated.

"He tried to save us." I whispered, my voice screaming pain.

"He tried to save you." Danny corrected. "Doesn't take Albert Einstein to figure out that guy would kill himself a million times over to save you. He loved you that much."

"Don't speak about him like he's gone!" I pushed Danny away. "He isn't! He'll be fine!" My voice broke. "He has to be, I need him."

Danny sighed.

"Are you okay?" Abby spoke to her brother.

"I'm in agony." He wined. "If you had told me the truth I wouldn't even be here. Where are we? How come it took you guys so long to get here, I mean I was terrified."

I shot up from my seat and stormed over to the brat. I wrapped my hand around his neck and shoved him into the bus wall, his feet dangling off the floor.

"The love of my life sacrificed himself so you could get out of here. That's all you have to say?" I spat in his face as I tightened my hand around his neck. "You better start showing some respect before I shove you out the window. With you to chomp on, we'll be able to get away. I couldn't care less if you lived or died anyway, since you don't deserve life, you ungrateful bastard!"

Danny pulled me away as I crumpled, he wrapped his arms around me and dragged me back to the back of the bus as I broke into sobs again.

That bratty kid isn't even worth saving, he doesn't realise what's been given up for him. Becker is most likely dead, for him, and he doesn't even care!

"Who's Becker?" Jack asked.

"He's the man who just sacrificed his own life to keep a pack of killers away from you." Connor growled.

"So?" Jack shrugged.

"So?!" I hissed as I ran at the kid again.

I punched him straight in his nose before slapping my hand over his mouth to smother his cry.

"He's dead. And it's all your fault." I hissed in his ear as tears never failed to poor down my cheeks.

I pushed him away before walking back to the back of the bus and resting my head on the cold metal of the seat in front of me.

The sound of Abby slapping Jack resonated through the bus. Then she stepped towards him and wrapped her arms around him, crying herself.

"I thought you were dead." She whispered.

"I wish he was. Maybe Becker would be here then." I whispered quietly enough that only Quinn could hear.

He tightened his arms around me in response.

"It'll be alright, kid." He whispered in my hair. "It'll be alright."

"I'm sorry." Jack whispered. "I'm sorry."

"Can we go home?" Abby whispered.

"That might be the tricky part." Danny sighed.

The pounding sound of feet on the roof suddenly broke the moment. A predator prowled the roof, probably listening to us.

"Get down." Connor whispered.

Danny stood and grabbed a metal support pole that had broken off the bus. He waited until the predator was above the glass emergency exit in the roof, before thrusting it up and into the creature. The predator squealed as it fell back, the blow having pierced it's heart.

It went quiet.

We looked at each other slowly, wondering what was happening now. Connor moved to the nearest window and wiped the dirt off the window, looking outside.

A predator appeared in the clear glass.

The creature roared and suddenly we were surrounded.

They came from every angle, shaking the bus to try and get in.

~~~~~~~~~~

"The only options..." Connor spoke as we sat in a dejected circle. "Try and make a run for the anomaly, and get torn to shreds... Sit here and wait them out, and get torn to shreds."

We glared at him.

"I didn't say they were good options." He looked away.

"This is it." Abby whispered. "Becker died for nothing."

I flinched her at her words.

The bus shook rapidly as creatures pounced at it. Yet then, by some miracle, giant ants crawled out of the building Jack was stuck in, drawing the predators' attention.

"The fire," Danny spoke. "It's smoked them out."

The ants began attacking the predators.

"We've got a chance, but we have to go now."

"Go!" I shouted as I pushed them from the bus. "Don't stop until you reach the anomaly."

We ran out, ants and predators fighting everywhere. An ant would come to attack us, onto to be taken out by a predator or vice versa. Danny and I put our backs against the wall, facing forwards, shocked at a sight. In front of us was Captain Wilder dragging a brunette woman away from a building, trying to avoid the creature fight. We shared a look, knowing we couldn't do anything about it right now, and took off after Abby, Connor and Jack.

Baby predators began trying to break out of cars as we ran, but thankfully the adults were currently occupied. Somehow, the babies' screams seemed to be drawing their attention slightly.

"Go!" Danny screamed, trying to push us faster.

We got to the end of the island, only to find the anomaly locked. We froze and stared at each other as a predator began running down the row of cars to get to us.

"Sarah must have closed it." Connor whispered.

The predator leapt from car-roof to roof to reach us. It got to the last car, before a shotgun was shoved through the sun roof and fired at the predator. It tumbled to the ground.

"H!" I cried as Becker crawled out the sunroof, me trying not to break into sobs again.

He wore only his base layer, no weapons or armour of any kind on top any longer.His hair was a complete mess and he had a cut along his cheek, his top was ripped in places with blood seeping through, but nobody had ever looked so perfect to me.

He jumped off the roof of the car, throwing his gun to Danny as he picked me up in his arms and span us around. I sobbed into his chest, unable to believe he was alive. He placed us on the ground, fisting my hair in his hands as he littered my face with kisses.

"You're okay." He whispered at the same time I cried: "You're alive!"

We laughed happily as we stared at each other, forgetting the destroyed world around us.

"Guys!" Ants began flying towards us at the same time the anomaly behind us opened.

"Go!" Danny shouted as they piled through the anomaly.

Becker pulled me through last, landing on his back with me ontop of him. The anomaly locked immediately behind me.

We laughed breathlessly and stared at each other in happiness, we all made it back alive.

Danny suddenly kicked Becker's arm.

"Urgh!" Becker grunted as he rolled away from Danny, taking me with him.

"Did that hurt?" Danny chucked.

He curled up on his side with me in his arms. I rested my head on his arm while he wrapped the other around my back. He pressed a kiss to my temple and smiled happily.

"I was well and ready to die," he whispered. "I was protecting the woman I love, I wanted to embrace it. There is no better way to die."

His words made me frown as my eyes watered, remembering the pain of loosing him. I pressed my face into his chest and inhaled, taking in his natural scent of vanilla with a hint of aftershave.

Wait, vanilla? Oh my god that's my favourite scent how didn't I notice that?

"But then I remembered," Becker's voice continuing brought me out of my thoughts. "I remembered making a promise to you a few months ago, on top of the promise I made today. I promised I would never die on you in this job and I intend on keeping that promise."

I smiled as I looked up at him, happy I could be in his arms once again.

"You did. Besides, you can't die without knowing how I feel." I placed my palm against his cheek.

"Oh Kate," he sighed happily, his breath brushing my lips. "I know how you feel, baby. I also know you'll tell me when you're ready. I know it's a big thing for you because you feel like you loose everyone you love: your mum, KD, Stephen, Cutter, one day Catherine. But I understand. I do, really." He smiled a loving smile, his eyes sparkling in their warmth. "Just know I'm not going anywhere. I'm too selfish to leave you when I love you so much."

I laughed quietly as I snuggled into his embrace.

"Thank you." I kissed him softly.

I began to pull away, only Becker wouldn't let me. He rolled over so he was half on top of me and cupped my face in his hands. He deepened the kiss and stroked one hand down the side of my body.

He pulled away, but only slightly, so when he spoke his lips brushed mine.

"I thought I lost you today. No longer are we doing pathetic little pecks, if we do something, we do it properly."

I giggled as I pushed my hands into his hair and pulled him to me.

"Fine by me."

Our lips crashed again, but only momentarily before being interrupted again.

"Guys come on!" Danny groaned. "I look in one direction to see Kecker rolling around on the floor, then I look in the other and it's Cobby over a railing. Do we not do PG13 anymore?"

Becker and I chuckled as we rose from the ground.

"Sarah's right there, why not join in." I winked as the two blushed.

"Alright guys let's get out of here!" Danny shouted as he ran away.

I chucked as Becker tucked me under his arm and began walking to the jeeps.

~~~~~~~~~~

"It was definitely Captain Wilder." Danny spoke  as he and I stood in Lester's office.

"And you didn't recognise the girl?" Lester asked.

"No." We both answered.

"No other signs of humanity?" Lester stood from his chair as he spoke.

"No." We answered together again.

"Well, I think we can be fairly confident that Christine Johnson's involved." Lester looked out the window

"Fairly." Danny spoke.

"There was an anomaly detected at her HQ a couple months ago." Lester sent me a pointed look.

"False alarm." I spoke. "That's when I roundhouse kicked her smug arse."

"You think she has access to some kind of cloaking device?" Danny asked while chuckling.

"Which is why we're not picking it up..." Lester continued to look out the glass wall. "What is she up to?"

"I don't know, but I'll find out." I spoke.

"No, no," Lester turned to look at me again. "I mean it Katie, no freelancing."

"Alright, anyway I've got to go see Becker so bye." I walked out the room without looking at either of them.

~~~~~~~~~~

I found Becker in the break room with the rest of the team. Somehow even Danny had made it here before me, since I checked the armoury first.

"Hey." I smiled as I sat down with the rest of them.

Hard to think just a couple of hours ago we were obliviously playing Truth or Dare in these very spots.

"So you said you'd tell me about this 'no ordinary citizen' later." Becker said as he came to sit on the sofa next to me and put his arm over my shoulders.

I curled into his side as I closed my eyes and sighed.

I had kind of hoped he would forget about that.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I mumbled sleepily.

"You seem to say that a lot." Sarah laughed.

I smiled back.

"Try me. I'm no longer surprised with you." Becker squeezed my side.

"I went to Springfield Academy." I sighed without looking at him.

His whole body tensed and Danny sat up straight from his seat. Everyone else seemed confused, not understanding.

"How long?" Becker whispered.

"From age 5 to age 15. We spent the last year of high school in an ordinary school. It took that long for dad to figure out what Springfield was."

"So your dad didn't put you there?" Danny asked.

"Did he hell. It was his twin brother's idea."

"Why would your uncle have a say?" Danny questioned.

"He was in the SAS. Shot in the bottom of his back at age 23. They had to basically perform a vasectomy to stop the bleeding. He couldn't have children and for some reason he chose Kiyo and I as his 'heirs'. Dad let him choose our school, thinking he would have our best interests in mind for something so simple. But really, dear Uncle Tristan just wanted to create the perfect weapons. As he would have with his own children."

Danny and Becker stared at me. My eyes hadn't opened once.

"I don't get it, what's this Springfield Academy?" Abby asked.

"Yeah. I'm totally into prestigious schools and stuff but I've never heard of it." Connor added.

"It's a living legend amongst the public services and basically anything to do with the government. Any kind of service from teachers to politicians to military have heard of it, but others don't tend to." Becker spoke quietly.

"What's so bad about it?" Sarah asked quietly.

Danny laughed humourlessly. "I don't understand why you aren't a heartless bastard."

"Because I had my brother. That's the only explanation on why we came out different." I shrugged.

"Guys!" Abby shouted. "What is it, for gods sake?"

My eyes sprang open and stared straight at her. She jumped in shock.

"It's a school the government use to train their special forces assassins from birth; their necessary evils. We are trained to kill or at least be accessories from age 5 and said skills are put into practice at age 10, sometimes younger. What better way to lure a child sex offender to his death than with a deadly, trained child."

Their mouths opened in shock as they stared at me.

"I have more experience in this field than any of you could ever dream of."

"Why didn't you tell Tirigan if he would have pulled you out?" Connor asked quietly.

"Because every time I would think about it, my uncle would have me tortured for days on end. My hair is so long because it covers me. If I'm covered, you can't see my scars."

Becker tightened his arms around me as he stared into space.

"How could anyone do that to a child." Sarah's eyes filled with tears.

"Like I said Sarah: necessary evils. Lots of people are aware things like this must happen; they just tend to ignore it if they think the means justifies the ends."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75 0 19
After the events of the Unquiet Woods, Danny Quinn back from the past but now finds himself stranded in another country during a global pandemic. Bef...
975 0 35
Elizabeth Cutter loves working alongside the people at the ARC, but when she is forced to leave to due to circumstances outside of her control, she k...
25.4K 4.1K 62
❝The universe is full of stars. If it weren't for them, the galaxies wouldn't be bright and the night sky would be a lifeless veil of blue because on...
2.7K 53 14
[BOOK ONE] Sofi Wyatt is an ambitious young grad student working on her Master's degree and researching her PhD thesis. During a morning appointment...