This is Glek

By varzanic

(Sequel to Beloved) Helix is at war, and they're loosing. Tobias is called to the front lines to lead his men... More

(Part 1) Chapter 1: Trouble
Chapter 2: Fashion Statement
Chapter 3: The Emperor's Banquet
Chapter 4: Counter Attack
Chapter 6: A Scorned Pet
Chapter 7: War Declaration
Chapter 8: Valorous
Chapter 9: Will and Testament
Chapter 10: Gone
Chapter 11: Gift from God
Chapter 12: Taming the Devil's Pet
Chapter 13: Thanos
Chapter 14: Forget
(Part 2) Chapter 15: Saving Your Neck
Chapter 16: Mending Helix
Chapter 17: Unsynced
Chapter 18: The Devil's Return
Chapter 19: A Monster
Chapter 20: Worthy of a Reward
Chapter 21: Demons
Chapter 22: Mind Games
Chapter 23: One Shot
Chapter 24: Until You've Killed Someone
Chapter 25: Bits and Pieces
Chapter 26: Headaches
Chapter 27: Mountain Cat
Chapter 28: Wake-Up Call
Chapter 29: The Final Beast
Chapter 30: One Must Die
Chapter 31: Underground
Chapter 32: To Hell with It
Chapter 33: Beloved

Chapter 5: Suspicion

7.8K 630 50
By varzanic

Chapter 5

Suspicion

The room was filled with scared faces. The bombs had stopped falling and some had ventured out. I remained in the corner, just watching with those who were too scared to go back out.

"Raja!" Tobias jogged down the stairs and searched the room.

"Tobias!" I leaped to my feet when I heard his voice. Running to him, I threw my arms around his waist.

He hugged me tightly and rested his chin on top of my head. "What possessed you to take on an enemy soldier? You could have been shot."

"Nina told you," I whispered.

He held me out in front of him. "You tried to take the man's head off with a rack."

"A hoe," I sighed, peering into his eyes. "I was just trying to protect our home.

He put his arms around me and kissed me. "I'll take care of it." Grabbing my hand, he led me out of the bunker.

I covered my eyes as they adjusted to the sunlight. Outside soldiers were patrolling the area. Tanks and large guns were being placed around the mansion. I pressed into the general's side as a squad of men marched past, heavily armed. This was war. Helix was no longer safe.

Nina spotted us and walked over. "We lost four. The wounded have been taken to the city for treatment."

Tobias rubbed his forehead and took off his hat. "Gather the slaves. I'm going to transfer all of them to my father's plantation in the countryside as soon as possible." He tucked it under his arm. "Offer to move all fieldhands and their families as well. Let them decide who wills stay to tend to the fields, but no one is to stay on the property. Even with the house's defense system the risk is too high."

"I'll see to it." She turned to leave.

"Nina."

She stopped and looked back at the general.

"If don't have to go with them. My father has enough staff to oversee the slaves."

"I trained them," she said clearly, "and I take care of them, so I won't be abandoning them." She took in a deep breath. "They're scared Tobias. Something like this effects a slave differently than a citizen." Her eyes landed on me.

Tobias squeezed my hand. "Raja will remain with me. I have other plans for him."

She gave me a sad smile before patting my cheek. "You be careful, alright?"

I nodded.

"I had a feeling Tobias would hide you away somewhere. Mind your manners, and obey whomever is appointed to take care of you."

"'kay."

The general pressed me against his side. "He'll be okay, Nina. I'm seeing to it."

"I know you will." She walked off and disappeared into the bunker.

"Let's go." Tobias marched across the grass, holding tightly to my hand.

"Sir," called a soldier. "The prisoner is waiting for you. He's ready to talk."

"I'll be there in a moment." He didn't slow down and waved the man off. The general went straight to one of the sheds that held the general assortment of vehicles. If anyone came close, he ordered them to out into the fields.

"Cadet." Tobias eyed a black haired boy standing alone.

He quickly straightened up when he saw the general.

"Do you know how to drive?"

He nodded. "Yes, Sir."

Tobias took out a piece of paper from his jacket. "Follow me." He opened the shed door and ushered both of us through, checking to make sure no one had followed us.

The lights flickered on. The general went to the key cabinet and unlocked it. Grabbed a pair, he showed us to a plain unmarked car.

"Sir?" asked the cadet when Tobias put the keys and the paper in his hand.

"These are your coordinates," said the general firmly. "Take my pet there. Someone will be waiting for him."

My eyes grew wide. "No," I snapped. "No, I'm stay. This time I'm staying with you."

Tobias grabbed my chin and kissed me hard. "Either go by choice, or I'll tie you up and force you."

I looked into his red eyes and saw he meant it. "Why?"

"Do as I ask, Raja."

Leaning back against the car, I folded my arms. "When will I see you again?"

"As soon as I can get to you."

"Sir?" said the cadet. "I think someone else would be more qualified to do this. This vehicle isn't equipped to protect us against an attack. Maybe with backup-"

"No," Tobias said firmly before falling silent for a moment. "You are loyal to the empire?"

"Of course, I swear my life to protect the emperor and our great nation." The boy appeared shocked Tobias was doubting his loyalty. "I'm here to serve, general."

The general glanced between the two of us. "I don't think everyone here feels the same. I can't trust them. That's why I need you to take Raja where he'll be safe. I'm the target," he stated. "That's why you must go." He opened the door for me.

I climbed inside, clenching my jaw.

"You're safety is my first priority," he whispered in my ear. "Lay down on the floor and stay out of sight." He turned to the cadet and closed the door. "You're taking a damage report to the emperor, am I understood?"

"Yes Sir." The boy saluted.

"No one must know Raja is with you. After you deliver him, tell no one, not even a commanding officer what I had you do. If you need an excuse, tell them I swore you to secrecy."

"Yes Sir."

He patted the boy's shoulder as he passed. "Take care of him."

"I'll see to it that he arrives safely." The cadet slide behind the wheel and started the car.

Tobias opened the garage door. He motioned for me to move off the seat. I slipped to the floor and laid my head against the cushion.

"Ready?" asked the boy.

"Yeah," I said softly. Moving across the car, I peeked out the window as the car drove outside.

Tobias put back on his hat and walked back to the mansion. A group of men rushed him.

"You need to sit down," said the cadet. "They might see you."

I dropped to the floor. He sent me again, and I had a feeling it would be awhile before I saw the general again.

***

I woke up when I felt the brakes jolt the car. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up and looked around. Everything was black. "Where are we?"

The boy shrugged. "I followed the coordinates. I checked it three times already, this is where we're supposed to be."

I sat down on the seat as the cadet turned off the car. All was silent except for the sounds of bugs outside. Abandoned buildings surrounded the area. Most were falling apart and starting to collapse.

"Do you really think there's a traitor in the higher ups?" he whispered.

"I don't know," I replied. "Tobias doesn't tell me much."

"Seems weird," he stretched out in his seat. "Everyone in the academy says that the officers' pets know more about what's going on then us."

"Why's that?"

He shrugged. "Pillow talk."

"The general isn't into talking." I saw something flicker in one of the buildings.

"He doesn't look like that type that would be." He leaned over the steering wheel. "Maybe we should get out and look around."

"No," I said softly. "They know we're here."

"They?" he turned around in his seat.

I pointed out the window. The boy jumped when he saw the masked figures with an assortment of weapons. The back door opened, and one grabbed my arm. Climbing out, I peered between the three figures. My nerves were building. I had to keep telling myself that Tobias trusted them so I could too.

"Go to the justice building," stated the tallest one. "New order will await you there." Opening the front seat, he reached across the boy and plug something into the car's computer. "Paper." He held out his hand.

The boy put the coordinates into it.

The man unplug the device. "Don't get lost. It'll relay directions once before deleting all traces."

Nodding, the cadet started the car with shaking hands. We moved out of the way as the boy backup and drove off.

"This way." The tall man pushed me forward to one of the buildings.

I followed them inside and down a set of stairs to the basement. The state of the room similar to the outside appearance. Sucking in my lips, I hoped I wouldn't be kept here. I bumped into a pile of wooden crates and bugs scattered. They darted at my feet. The men laughed as I jumped around to get away from them.

"Pets," one said as he pressed his hand against a wall.

There was no panel or access slot, but everyone was staring at it. The area light up and a small section slid back and to the side. The first man shuffled through. I followed him inside to the dark space. The panel moved back into place, blocking out the last of the light.

The light blared on. I covered my eyes.

"This way."

I followed the man down the spiral stairs. We traveled deeper and deeper underground. My nerves were acting up again. The steps leveled out and a pod sat in front of us. The man type a code into the panel, and the door opened. Moving to the side, he waved me inside.

I stepped into the small compartment and sat down on the bench. I waited for him to follow, but he just gave me a small wave.

"Have a safe trip."

The door swung shut and lights flickered on the control panel. My stomach was filled with butterfly, signalling the pod starting to move. I pulled my knees to my chest and took in a calming breath. I should have fought harder to stay with Tobias.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.5K 1K 29
"Look at me Axel . I'm sorry I never should've- His lips were on mine and I grabbed his waist like it was the most natural thing in the world. His...
782K 46.8K 37
*** COMPLETE- Far From Home book two: Sequel to The Warlord's Chosen. A M/M/M fantasy romance*** "For the innocence of my mother, I suffered alone in...
50.6K 3.7K 56
Book Two of the Haunted Lover's Duo. "The paradox of vengefulness is that it makes men dependent upon those who have harmed them, believing that thei...
262K 12.3K 33
When a game goes too far, Varian wakes to an unfamiliar room. He's tortured and taunted by a masked man that's set on breaking not just his body but...