Saving Sabine

By littleLo

Sabine Winchester has always had a too sensible head on her shoulders. Her unsuccessful seasons in London res... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Photo of Sabine
Chapter 3 - Photo of Connor
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8 - Photo of Merida
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 - Photo of Heather
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue

Chapter 7

39.8K 1.8K 51
By littleLo

Chapter Seven

The weeks leading up to Christmas passed quickly, and before either Sabine or Connor knew it, it was time for them to part ways for the holidays.

Everyday Sabine would go down to the stables and help Connor with the horses. She’d abandoned side saddle, and had revealed to her parents that Connor had been teaching her to ride like a man, something they didn’t have too much of a problem with, much to her surprise. She’d made sure to keep complaining about Connor at dinner though, often moaning about his organisational skills or how his shirt was never clean or the way that he spoke.

She didn’t mind those things so much anymore. They’d both learnt to compromise when it came to organising the stables. Sabine didn’t mind that his shirt wasn’t clean, she just enjoyed that he kept it unbuttoned. His accent was one of her favourite things about him. Hearing his voice in the morning comforted her.

There was one recreational activity that she liked above all. Kissing. Connor never pushed Sabine further than she was willing to go, but he still made her feel utterly special when he held her in his arms.

She’d attempted to end her courtship with Mr Rochester several times and, much to Connor’s annoyance, he’d found a way to guilt her into stopping whatever it was that she had planned to say. He still continued to bore her, and then offend her with a comment he made that was so outrageously self – righteous.

Her brother’s had arrived home from Eton the day before Sabine and her family were due to travel to Yorkshire to spend Christmas with her grandmother, as well as her aunt, uncle and cousins.

After greeting them, Sabine had gone down to the stables to visit with Connor one last time before she would leave for nearly a month.

Arriving at the stables she saw that Connor had dressed for the weather. The snow had begun to stick to the ground so extra layers were necessary. Sabine herself had dressed in a royal blue velvet dress with a thick travelling cloak over the top. She’d also chosen a white, woollen scarf that her grandmother had knitted for her the year before. Connor was wearing a heavy coat on top of his usual white shirt and black slacks. He wasn’t as dirty as usual which was a change.

His signature crooked grin appeared on his face as he saw her coming. “Ye a bit cold?” he called out as she approached.

Sabine giggled as she moved up her pace. Connor closed the distance between them and wrapped his arms around her tightly. Snuggling into his musky smelling chest, Sabine tried to memorise the feeling, as she would not experience it for another month. “I brought you a Christmas present,” she whispered.

“As did I,” he replied. “Well, I made it. It’s no’ exciting.”

Sabine smiled happily, pulling back from the hug. “You didn’t have to do anything for me,” she informed him, still happy that he’d made the effort. Pulling the small leather pouch from her cloak, she handed it to him. “It’s really from my father. I didn’t know what to get you, so I asked him for some money.” Inside the pouch was ten pounds.

Connor frowned, not taking the money. “Sabine, I don’ want any money than what I’m owed,” he said firmly.

Sabine took his hand and forced the pouch into it. “It’s not much,” she assured him. “But it’s enough that you won’t have to spend any of what you’ve saved to go and see your sister and her family. I want you to have a happy Christmas,” she said firmly. “So, you will accept this money.”

His hand tightened around the pouch as he managed a small smile. “Thank ye,” he nodded. “It was very thoughtful of ye.”

Sabine could see that he wasn’t pleased with the fact that he was accepting money but she didn’t care. She wouldn’t be taking it back. He deserved the same Christmas that she would be having – a Christmas with family.

Storing the money in his pocket, he pulled a small package from inside his coat. The package was wrapped in brown postage paper and tied with a piece of string.

Sabine accepted it with a wide smile on her face. Untying the string and removing the paper, a small wooden charm on a chain sat in her hand.  

The charm was a tiny, carved, wooden horse. Every crevice was perfect. It was made from a dark wood that mirrored Puissant’s chestnut coat. It was attached to a thin, gold chain so she could wear it as a necklace.

“It’s no’ much,” he said bashfully. “Merry Christmas.”

Sabine gasped. “How did you make this?” she asked after a moment. She couldn’t believe how perfect the charm was. It was faultless and looked like it had been made by a professional.

“A talent I had growing up,” he shrugged. “My brothers’ were better at it.”

“I can’t see how,” she said, shaking her head. Unfastening the clasp on the chain, she held it out to him. “Will you put this on me?” she asked.

Connor nodded, taking the necklace from her. “I dinna make the chain, I’m no’ that skilled,” he clarified as he moved her long, golden hair from her neck. “But I thought ye would like a miniature Puissant.”

Handling the perfect wooden charm, she felt a tear roll down her cheek. “Thank you,” she said sincerely. “This is by far the greatest present I have ever received.”

“Do ye know when ye will return?” he asked quietly, pulling her back into his arms.

“No,” she shook her head. “But it is usually sometime in early January. How long will you be in Scotland for?”

“I won’ stay for long. Perhaps a few days an’ then I’ll travel back down to Nottingham to check on Puissant for ye,” he laughed lightly. Sabine, though, could tell that he was hiding something. His brown eyes looked a little reserved

Since their conversation on her balcony, Connor hadn’t revealed anything further about his family. He hadn’t told her why he’d been lashed or why his father behaved the way he did. She didn’t pressure him to tell her, she knew he would confide in her when he felt ready to.

But still, she knew he was hiding something. Handling the beautiful charm, she asked him. “What is it?”

Connor pursed his lips before shaking his head. “Nothing,” he reassured her.

“Don’t lie to me,” she warned.

Connor rolled his eyes and sighed. “It’s stupid, really. I can’ help but think tha’ you’re goin’ to change your mind once we’re parted for a while. Tha’ you’ll realise that I am below ye and that ye could do so much better than me.”

Sabine frowned and sighed sadly. “I won’t change my mind,” she assured him. “I’ve spent my entire life thinking that I was boring and that nobody would ever love me. You’re the only person who has ever made me feel like what I had to say actually meant something. Connor, I love you!” she exclaimed before pausing. She couldn’t believe she’d just spoken those words aloud.

But Connor had caught it. His smile was genuine and his eyes were filled with delight. “Ye have no’ said tha’ to me before,” he commented, sounding like his voice was catching in his throat. “Nobody’s said tha’ to me before.”

A deep blush filled Sabine’s cheeks. “I mean it,” she said quietly, looking to the snow covered ground. She suddenly felt very cold as her embarrassment filled her. Then hem of her dress was completely soaked through as a result of the snow. The light wind blew the hem against her ankles which truly chilled her to the bone.

“Don’ be bashful,” he whispered, lifting her chin up with his forefinger.

Looking up at him, she saw that Connor was looking at her like her father looked at her mother every day. It was a look she’d prayed that she would always receive. She wished things were simpler, that she could just walk up to her father and announce that she was marrying and that there would be no argument, but she knew that would not be the case. But once she returned home, they would speak to her parents together. They would end up married, she was sure of that.

“I’ll return in the new year,” she smiled at him. “Take good care of Puissant for me, and make sure to use that money to see your sister.”

“Aye, ma’am,” he said, chuckling. Leaning in, he pressed his lips to hers lightly.

Sabine enjoyed the embrace, inhaling his musky scent. All of a sudden, though, Connor shoved Sabine away so that she staggered back.

Before she could glare at him she heard what he obviously had. The sound of footsteps crunching through the fresh snow. Turning around, she saw her seventeen year old brother, Philip, appear at the top of the hill as he descended towards them.

If it were even possible, her brother had grown even taller. He was taller than their father, but only just. His dark hair was a little long but Sabine could not get over how manly his face was. He no longer looked like the sixteen year old boy she’d seen months before, he now looked like a seventeen year old man.

“Sabine!” he called out.

Sabine folded her arms across her chest, trying to appear innocent. “Yes, Philip?” she said, raising her eyebrows.

Philip smiled at Connor as he edged closer. “How are you, Connor? It’s been quite a while. I hope my sister hasn’t been bothering you too much. She’s quite pedantic when it comes to horses,” he laughed. “I personally think she’s a loon, but we haven’t been able to get a doctor out here to examine her brain.”

He was in smacking distance so Sabine did just so. She did care that she was six years older than him, and therefore more mature, her brother needed a slap. “Hush, Philip,” she hissed, but couldn’t help smiling.

“I’m fine, Master Philip,” Connor chuckled. “Your sister has been just fine. I think I bother her much more than she bothers me,” he lied, playing along with the façade that they had agreed to carry on playing.

Philip rolled his big, brown eyes and smirked at his elder, yet smaller in height, sister. “I’ll get her out of your way then. Come on, Sabine, mama wants you to finish packing your trunk,” he urged.

Sabine nodded. She smiled at Connor, trying to tell him in such a gesture that she would miss him. Walking alongside her brother, she realised how much she missed having her siblings around, something that she never thought she would ever say. They annoyed her and were constantly bickering and fighting, but she couldn’t imagine life without them. They never treated her like a half – sister which she appreciated. They were her brothers, and no matter how much she hated them sometimes, she would always love them.

“What do you think grandmamma got us for Christmas this year?” Philip asked excitedly. “She always gives the best presents.”

Sabine rolled her eyes. “Philip, Christmas is about more than receiving presents,” she scolded.

“I know,” he sighed. “But you’ve got to admit it though, you enjoy the presents and grandmamma’s cooking more, right?”

Sabine nodded. “She does prepare quite a feast,” she concurred.

Philip was right though, their grandmother did give the best presents. She knew each of her grandchildren so well. Growing up, she, Kitty, Little J and Annie had all been given beautiful dolls, books and handmade clothes. Philip, Louis, Henry and James had been given lovely train sets, tin soldiers as well as things like their first watches.

“I’ve missed you, Sabine,” Philip chirped as he wrapped an arm around his sister’s shoulder. “Never thought I would, but I did.”

Sabine laughed lightly. “I missed you, too. I’ll regret I ever said it,” she said, rolling her eyes.

The next day, bright and early in the morning, the Winchester family gathered out the front of Southerby House to begin their journey up to Yorkshire. The footmen stacked their trunks on the back of their carriage as the servants gathered outside in the cold weather to wish them farewell.

Daniel had given them each some extra money as a Christmas present, including Connor, as he wasn’t aware that the money that she’d asked him for was for him.

Their eyes met as she was about to climb into the carriage. He flashed her a quick smile before returning his expression to the blank one that the rest of the servants wore.

She entered the carriage and sat beside her mother who was sitting beside Louis. Louis had turned thirteen while away at Eton and his voice had deepened. But with their mother’s dark blue eyes, he still looked as cheeky and as childlike as always.

“Merry Christmas, everyone,” Daniel said to the servants before he climbed in beside Philip. “I’ve spared no expense for your Christmas dinner, please enjoy the day if you can’t be with your families. Mr Martin, I will send word once we know when we’re returning.” Climbing into the carriage with his family, he smiled. “There’s something about this time of year that I love.”

Jane took both Sabine and Louis’ hands and squeezed them. “I love that we can all be together,” she smiled at all three of her children.

Sabine smiled contently and lay her head down on her mother’s shoulder as the carriage began to move. She absently played with the horse charm around her neck and closed her eyes ready to fall asleep.

“That’s pretty,” her mother said, snapping her out of her tiredness. “Wherever did you buy it?”

Sabine panicked and said the first place that came to mind. “London.”

“I’ve not seen you wear it before,” she replied.

“I’d forgotten about it. I found it in my trunk as I packed it yesterday,” Sabine said, subtly hiding the necklace inside the bodice of her gown.

“I’d wager you selected it because of the resemblance to Puissant,” Jane said knowingly.

“So Sabine,” Louis said, leaning around Jane to look at his sister. “Papa tells us that Mr Rochester is courting you,” he sniggered. “I think you make a perfectly lacklustre couple,” he noted.

“Louis, do not tease your sister,” Daniel snapped. “She is in no way ‘lacklustre’.”

Louis spoke nothing more on the subject, but it did not diminish his amused smile. Had she seriously missed her brothers?

Closing her eyes once more, Sabine put all of the drama out of her mind. She wouldn’t think about the conversation she would need to have with her father, she wouldn’t think about Mr Rochester, all she would think about was the family gathering that was in Yorkshire. It was her favourite time of year.  

---

Next chapter will see Christmas, as well as the first insight into Connor's mind :)

Vote and comment!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 289 14
Sarah is now a very social girl who likes to go out with her friends and sometimes go to a few parties with them aswell. She's been with Dylan for a...
3.1K 210 48
I'm not good at descriptions JUST READ IT PS: if you want to take anything from this story, you won't be dealing with me. You will be dealing with t...
766 32 25
Long before Caius achieved immortality, he'd met a girl he swore he would never live without. He loved her so deeply that he would defy fate itself t...
1.3M 61.1K 27
Maggie Swift had always known something was missing from her life. She had everything an eighteen year old aristocrat could want - a title, wealth, a...