Eagle and Dove; Germany x Rea...

By GreenRune

Just because you're the capitol of America doesn't mean you can't be a hero. It's just the stopping a war pa... More

Chapter 1 - This is How it Starts
Chapter 2 - Far From Home
Chapter 3 - Two Different Sets of Brothers
Chapter 4 - Swirling Feelings
Chapter 5 - Training, Not Falling
Chapter 6 - Good Memories, Bad Luck
Chapter 7 - Oh, Great, Just, Great.
Chapter 8 - I Found You~
Chapter 9 - Loyalties To Home
Chapter 10 - Pressing Restart
Chapter 12 - The Sinking Ship
Chapter 13 - A Kiss and a Candle
Chapter 14 - A Double Sided Coin
Chapter 15 - The Price To Pay
Chapter 16 - The Rising Sun
Chapter 17 - A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words Part 1
Chapter 18 - A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words Part 2
Chapter 19 - Unchanging Memories
Chapter 20 - Frozen Stars
Chapter 21 - Dancing Flames
Chapter 22 - Emerald Eyes
Chapter 23 - These Are My Final Words
Epilogue

Chapter 11 - What Does It Mean To Die?

2K 97 21
By GreenRune

----------Chapter Break (11) ----------

"So," you finally say as Ludwig and you make it down to Main Street. "What do you want to eat?"

"I don't know? I'm not that hungry." Ludwig said not really looking at you, you pulled the arm you had yours wrapped around closer.

"Well then I guess we could just walk around and eat something later. Oh look they're putting up the Christmas lights." You say a cheerful smile on your face.

"You don't see the war out here. When my father asked us to come back here, I asked him why. He must have bragged to you that we were on the front lines but we weren't. Most of the men who came that night weren't on the front lines."

"I don't really care, as long as that person doesn't take advantage of the soldiers." You reply thinking about Alfred and Matthew who were always in the midst of battle even though they were higher ups.

"You're father also bragged about you to us a lot."

"What?" You ask, surprised. You didn't even talk to Mr. Beilschmidt that much. Ludwig chuckled, and I could tell that he needed to get this off his chest considering that his father was in the hospital.

"He was actually really surprised that you had stuck with him throughout the entire year."

"Yeah, I guess I considered this place home."

"He also said you were usually the one who broke up fights and kept things in line like I had when I was working there."

"No wonder you were glaring at those men the other day." You could feel Ludwig tighten up.

The two of you ended up sitting on a bench facing the largest Christmas tree, the main attraction for Main Street for the upcoming holiday. People were decorating it with large ornaments and lights.

You lean your head into Ludwig's arm and his hand intertwines with yours.

"When I saw you for the first time I thought... Well that changed when I saw you jumped. You're different Y/N, you really are."

"Yeah." Maybe too different for you, you thought sadly.

"Y/N, can I ask you a question?"

"Ask away."

"What are you going to do once the war is over?"

You freeze up.

"Go home I guess." You mutter, "I'll go live with my brothers again. Maybe find something I enjoy and go to college."

"I've never asked where you lived."

"Far from here." You reply bluntly.

"At least I have your number." The phone you currently had was issued to you by America was like the laptop and all your other equipment was. Disposable. Maybe before you leave you'll leave him your real number once you get your old phone back.

Maybe even a letter too.

To explain.

To apologize.

"Yeah." Is all you can say.

"Do you want to head back?"

"I want to stay here for a while." You whisper back. You both stay there in silence watching as a huge group of men and women begin to hoist the large star that was going to the top of the tree up.

You chuckle remembering how Alfred and Matthew had always argued over who would get to put the star on the top.

Of course, you always butted in and told them both to lift you up to put the star on the top. Alfred would always "accidentally" drop you, and down you went, landing on both of them in a pile of laughter and teasing moans of pain.

"What are you smiling about?" Ludwig asked quietly.

"Oh, just that we still have to set up our own Christmas tree."

"Are you sure you can reach the top? It's a tall tree." Ludwig teases.

"Oh, I see how it is." You say back, a small smile on your mouth.

"I was wondering... Gilbert explained it to me but I think you feel guilty because you're going to leave and you don't want to commit to something that won't work."

"Seriously? You've been worrying about that?" You asked shocked that Ludwig wasn't over the whole 'guilty' thing.

"Well-"

"Gilbert's right," you say a taunting smirk on your face. "You need to man up."

Instead of responding, Ludwig turned slightly causing you to fall on your back. He was hovering over you now.

You smirked at him as he leaned closer.

Closing your eyes, you let out a deep sigh as his arms wrap around your waist.

Then his phone started ringing.

Of course his phone had to ring now.

It couldn't just wait a few damn seconds could it?

Sighing, Ludwig pulls you back up and answers his phone.

"What is it Gilbert?"

There is a pause as his eyes widen.

"That's not-"

He suddenly turns to look at you; you look back at him with just as much shock.

'What's going on?' You mouth. He ignores you.

"Ja, I'm coming right over."

He hangs up; grabbing your arm he starts to drag you back down Main Street.

"What's going on?" You ask again.

"Father woke up."

"What? Isn't that great news?" He does respond, and only speeds up the pace. Shaking off his arm, you speed up a bit to keep pace with Ludwig.

"Ludwig, you're not saying anything."

"Gilbert has sent a cab to get us."

"Dude, I know you want to see him. But he isn't going anywhere."

A grim look settles on Ludwig's features and your eyes widen as you figure it out.

"He's dying isn't he?" You whisper. Ludwig doesn't say anything as you both arrive in front of the bar, a taxi already waiting for you.

Sliding into the back, Ludwig makes a motion for you to join him.

You shake your head.

"He wasn't my father; I don't want to impose on something like this."

"You're coming, he talks about you like you are family. So as far as I'm concerned you're family." He replies grabbing your arm and pulling you inside.

"The-"

"I've already been instructed." The taxi driver goes. You sit there your brain trying to figure out how this happening again.

You didn't want to get in the way.

"Y/N, it's going to be fine." Ludwig says trying to comfort you.

"I don't need comfort." You growl shoving him lightly away.

"The hospital is in the city, if you look out you might be able to catch a glimpse of the river."

You look out the window immediately, the water a shining light blue. Like Ludwig's eyes.

"Ludwig, how long will it take us to reach the hospital?"

Ludwig opens his mouth to respond when his phone started ringing again.

"Gilbert, I'm in the damn taxi, stop calling me every few seconds." He snaps, then there's a pause as Gilbert responds.

Setting his phone down, he turns his gaze to the back of the driver's head.

"Who are you? My brother has told me that the taxi he had requested had just showed up and we weren't there."

The driver turns around.

His eyes are calm, his voice is leveled, and the way he holds himself tells you all you need to know.

You blink in shock.

"End of the line Germany, this war is going to end with your death." The man said as the cab suddenly turns towards the river.

It screeches as you see the needle rise on the gage as the taxi speeds up quickly.

Trying to unlock the seat belt you realize that it's jammed. The male opens the cab door and jumps out, you watch him leave knowing exactly what he was.

He's an assassin.

A professional killer.

You hear Ludwig cures as suddenly your stomach reaches your mouth as the taxi hits the railing and flips over it. You both start to fall of the bridge.

Ludwig is quickly cutting away at his straps; the car turns so your side will hit it first. The rotation gives a large ripping sound, as the belt twisted into the knife cutting it faster.

Ludwig has a panicked look on his face as you hit the water, the glass behind you shattering, and the water quickly filling the vehicle.

"Y/N!" Germany roars finally freeing himself and reaching out for you. The water reaches the edge of your mouth.

"Just h-hand me the knife and get-get out." You manage to choke out.

He shakes his head and immediately starts trying to free you. Your hands curled around his as you tried to pull the knife away. As if telling him you can do it and he can escape.

Your vision goes fuzzy from the impact, as the cold water from the river envelopes you, covering you entirely.

You wanted the energy to shove Ludwig off you and beg him to escape. You were already attached to this vehicle. You knew you were going to go down with it.

"Y/N!" Ludwig shouts out but you can barely hear him.

Shutting your eyes, you let the whirling water around you take control as your body tries to float up against the restraints of the cab.

You feel Ludwig's hands grab yours, but you don't grab back. After a few seconds his warm touch in this sea of cold disappears.

A small smile lights your lips and the water floods in.

"I don't want you to die. Promise me you won't die."

No one ever made you make that promise.

No one ever said that to you.

So, just because you won't let anyone else around you die doesn't mean you give yourself the same exception.

"If I die and you live- You still keep your promise-"

A/n

DUN DUN DUN!

More fight scenes in the future, and one of the main villains has revealed himself...ohhhhh. Cool right? No? no...oh...okay.

This chapter was really short...Bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.1K 2.5K 44
WATTYS 2019 COMPLETED BOOK 1 *Tries to think cool quote from the book* 》"Yeah it really is beautiful" He said. "And now you are supposed to say some...
25.9K 652 23
(Y/n) was a small, weak, little country located right next to England. Her and England were best friends and England promised (Y/n) that nothing bad...
33.4K 517 19
γ€Žγƒ˜γ‚Ώγƒͺを』 ───────────────── β•°β”ˆβž€ ❝𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑 how much of your life will change when you meet Germany.❞ ───────────────── κ’°Germany x Reade...
3.4K 65 7
"War spreads like disease." The harsh reality of war never allowed me to grow up, to be a kid. I became a war torn adult too early in my life. I beca...