It's not that easy.

By dlp5566

Savannah Kessler thought life couldn't get more boring and lonely. Then she was reunited with her former crus... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Epilogue

Chapter 12

15.2K 227 10
By dlp5566

My run with Mark was completely uneventful, thank goodness. I put in my earbuds as we left the house, and tuned him out. I was surprised he kept up with me. I didn't really jog--it was really more of a run. I was desperate to get the five miles done quickly, so I could escape Mark and his charm.

When we got back to the house, Mark asked me again to go on a date with him. I, of course, said no.....again. This time, he wanted me to go parasailing with him. I really, really, really wanted to parasail, but I didn't want to give in to Mark. I decided to just get Kaylen to go with me. 

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. We spent the day down at the beach, Kaylen and I reading, and Mark annoying us the whole time. That night, we made frozen lasagna, and watched a marathon of Disney shows. Mark complained at the beginning, but after an hour, he was focused on them, just like us.

"What happened to 'this is so dumb', Marky?" Kaylen teased.

"Shut up," he grumbled. "I'm pretending to like them so ya'll don't feel bad about watching these kids shows."

"Yep, I'm sure that's it." I said. I elbowed him lightly in the ribs and stage-whispered, "It's okay, we won't tell anyone you like this."

"We won't?" Kaylen said. 

"Course not," I said. "We'll use it for blackmail."

"Dummy," Mark muttered.

 "Yep, that's us!" Kaylen replied cheerfully. We laughed.

We kept up our playful banter throughout the night. Around midnight, I got up to get something to drink. When I picked up on Mark and Kaylen talking quietly, I paused by the door to listen.

"You know she's leaving tomorrow," Kaylen said.

Mark sighed. "Yeah I know. And I still haven't convinced her to go out with me. I don't think she understands the I actually like her."

"No, she doesn't," Kaylen said. "Somehow, I don't think you'll be taking her out this week like you wanted."

"Why doesn't she get that I like her?" he complained. "I freakin' can't get her to go out with me."

"I don't know," she said. "But if you want her, you're gonna have to work for her."

"That's not something I'm used to." He said honestly. "I have never had to work for a girl. I always get whoever I want, whenever I want."

"Well," Kaylen said, "If you really like her, you won't give up. But I'm warning you. If you break her heart, I'll kill you."

Mark laughed softly. "I won't."

I decided to make my grand entrance. Well, it was supposed to be just walking through the door, but I turned it into a grand entrance. I tripped by the couch, dumping my water all over Kaylen and landing in Mark's lap.

Kaylen screamed when the water hit her, but Mark was laughing at me. "Well, hello." he said, setting me upright in his lap. "I knew you'd come around," he teased.

I pushed myself off of his lap and blushed. "Whatever," I said. I was thoroughly embarassed. My body was on fire where we had connected for that short period of time. Dang, I wish he'd kiss me. I thought. 

WHOA! Where did that come from? No, I don't want him to kiss me. No, no, no, no. He's a player. I don't like him. Whyyy did I think that? I'm losing my mind!

Kaylen spoke, interrupting my train of thought. "Well, I say it's bedtime, considering I'm wet and need to change clothes, and it's past midnight."

"I agree," I said. We all said goodnight and went to our rooms.

*****

The next morning, I woke up and packed my clothes. I said goodbye to Kaylen and headed out. I was loading it into the trunk of my car when Mark appeared beside me. 

"Um, hey," I said. I tossed my bags in and turned to him.

"Hey." he said. I waited for him to say something else. 

"Look," he said after a minute. "I'm new at this whole working for someone thing, but I really like you. I mean, I know we've only been together for the past few days, but I haven't been kidding about wanting  to date you or anything. So will you at least give me a chance? Like, trade numbers so we can talk and maybe..." he trailed off, waiting.

"I...I...I," I said. I wasn't sure how to respond to this. I didn't know what to say, so I just handed him my phone. He punched in his number and called himself. 

He grinned sheepishly. Wow, he really wasn't sure how to handle this. "Thanks." he said.

Then, before I knew what was happening, Mark leaned in and pressed his lips softly to mine. I was frozen in shock. He grinned again and hugged me quickly. "I'll do whatever it takes," he said.

With that, he jogged back inside, turning to wink at me before he went in the door. 

Mark kissed me. Oh my word, Mark just kissed me.

I stood by my car, rooted in place for a few moments. I touched my lips, stlil in shock. A car horn went off somewhere in the neighborhood, pulling me out of my daze. I got in my car and started the drive. My phone beeped and I looked at it.

Mark's name appeared on the screen with a new text. "I'm serious" it read.

I glanced at the road quickly before typing my response. "About?"

"Doin w/e it takes to make you fall for me"

"Good luck ;P" I sent and switched on the radio.

*****

When I got home, I laid out by the pool for a few hours and went swimming. I kept replaying the kiss in my head. I decided to go inside and see if my parents were even home.

I wasn't surprised to find that neither were home, but I was surprised to find an envelope with my name on it on the dining room table.

I picked it up and opened it. I unfolded the paper and began to read...

Savannah,

Your father got a call last night that we needed to fly to New York for some meetings. I don't know how long we'll be gone, but we'll be busy, so don't try to call. Lora will be there some, but don't forget she has some off days. And remember to pay her.

Sincerely,

Mother

I rolled my eyes. Like she really cared if Lora was here or if I was by myself. She didn't care. She just wanted to make sure I pair Lora and that the house would be locked up at night.

"What a joke of a mother," I muttered. I went to the laundry room and found Lora.

Lora was an African-American in her mid-fifties. I loved her--she was more of a mother figure than my biological mother. When I was younger, she had taken up where my parents had left off--reading my stories before bed, tucking me in, helping me with homework. That kind of thing.

"Hello, honey," she said. She hugged me quickly before turning back to her ironing.

"I have a problem." I said. Lora immeadiatle looked up, ready to listen. "Remember Kaylen's cousin Mark?" She nodded.

"Well," I said. "He kissed me this morning."

"And?" she prodded.

"He says he likes me and he begged me all week to go out with him and he got my number and says he'll do whatever it takes to get me to fall for him and Kaylen wants me to like him and I think I kinda do like him but I'm scared he's gonna break my heart 'cause I know he's always been a player but he and Kaylen insist he won't do anything to hurt me and I don't want to like him because I just don't and then he kissed me and now I'm super confused and I don't know what to do." My words came out in a rush.

Lora smiled. "Well, honey. You jest gotta think it all out. Decide what ya gon' do about it and in the end, I'm sure ya will do what you oughta."

I sighed. "I'm just so confused."

"Just give it time," she replied.

Hello my wonderful readers and fans! What did you think of this chapter? I liked writing it--especially the part where she's explaining her problems to Lora...that's kinda the way I talk when I have my own problems so that made it really fun! :)

I'll try to update again pretty soon! :)

Comment, vote, fan, etc!! I want to know what ya'll think so far!! <3

-Dani :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 5.2K 67
Savannah, also known as Sav or Anna, is a regular teenager stuck inside a complicated love triangle. How will she get out of it? Who will she choose...
12.9K 350 22
I had to admit, he was cute. His eyes sparkled nervously and his lips were a lovely shade of natural red. He had his arms crossed over his chest, a g...
165 4 16
Casey Blue is your average 18 year old girl. It's her senior year and she has everything, a best friend and a boyfriend. She got into NYU. She lives...
1.4K 11 26
Lost. She has lost everything. From her parents marriage, to her dead boyfriend. Surfing is a huge part of her life, a way to forget all her problems...