Set in Stone - Haldir's Story...

By SparklinJazzlin

"The Lord of Lorien looked at his wife - her thoughts were hidden behind her smooth, shimmering face. Fo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - The Brothers
Chapter 2 - The Journey
Chapter 3 - Lothlórien
Chapter 4 - Daëra
Chapter 5 - Falling off a Tree
Chapter 6 - Fire
Chapter 7 - Miruvor
Chapter 8 - Decisions
Chapter 9 - Arwen Undómiel
Chapter 10 - Haldir of Lothlórien
Chapter 11 - 2 Decades later: Return
Chapter 12 - Another 2 Decades later: Another Return
Chapter 13 - One of the Three
Chapter 14 - Fever
Chapter 15 - Eavesdropping
Chapter 16 - The Truth?
Chapter 17 - The Districts of Mithlond
Chapter 18 - 10,000
Chapter 19 - Galadriel's Pendant
Chapter 20 - Daëra's Pendant
Chapter 21 - Battleaxe
Chapter 22 - Stars
Chapter 24 - Days of Fire
Chapter 25 - Fits of Rage
Chapter 26 - Up North
Chapter 27 - The End
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 - Leaving

Chapter 23 - Dol Guldur's Revenge

467 23 5
By SparklinJazzlin

"You cannot reach that far?" – Daëra shook her head, tears streaming down her face. She couldn't believe this was happening, it couldn't be; she had such a terrible feeling... A feeling that he would die. – "Can you not try to reach it? Or Celeborn?" – Galadriel crossed her arms and walked over to the window. "You know it is not as easy as that, child. Just as you would be unable to use my ring, I will not be able to do any good with yours." Slowly, the Lady turned back around, but looked at the ceiling. "Your powers would increase, if you decided to become an elf..." – Daëra wiped her cheeks, yet it did not last long. "I can't... I mean, it cannot be." – Galadriel frowned. "Why not, I do wonder. Perhaps you should dare a look into my mirror." – Daëra realised she was sitting on the floor of the flet, but she didn't remember when she had fallen to her knees.

"It couldn't change anything. The Valar..." – "The Valar? What about the Valar?" The Lady's sounded stern and surprised at the same time. – "In a dream they told me I was going to be like my mother. That means human." – The Lady's lips opened slightly, as if she suddenly understood something. "You should have told me sooner." – At that, Daëra had almost laughed bitterly. "I thought you knew. You know everyone's thoughts. Everything." – "You are misinformed. I see things; I hear things – yet never everything. Had you told me sooner, I could have told you that – had the Valar meant that you would be human like your mother - they would have said so. Yet they said you were going to be like your mother: so what was your mother like?" She paused for a second, returning Daëra's stunned look with a gentle one. "I will tell you, sweet Daëra: your mother was a crosser of borders, a walker between the realms of the humans and elves; she went a path few had ever taken before. She came from the humans. And went to the elves."

"So when I woke up... and saw you... that was no vision? It was really you?" – Daëra smiled. "In a way, yes. It took me some minutes after you had been struck down before I had sorted out my new powers and could start to heal you and everyone I could get my hands on. But I could only put so much distance between me and you – or the ring, that is – before the connection would break. I couldn't help much. I wouldn't even call it healing – it was rather a 'keeping alive'. I had hoped I would be able to do more." – Haldir reached out and stroked her hair back behind her now slightly pointed ear. He still couldn't quite grasp what had happened. – "I feared I would cause more trouble than do good, since I believe I appeared ghost-like to everyone, a flickering image that sent heat and pain through them when it touched them. They weren't prepared. They didn't believe their eyes. I couldn't talk in that shape, yet fortunately, I was able to convince most of the ones I could get close to that I was trying to help." – Haldir slowly shook his head. "You... you should not have made a decision in such a rush and because of other people." He couldn't quite believe he was saying this, since it felt as if all his dreams had suddenly come true, yet he wouldn't be able to bear if she was unhappy. Although he felt he could make her happy, if she would just let him.

Daëra could see it all going on behind his eyes: what he wanted fought with what he thought must be best for her. She felt her skin heat up where the fingers of his right hand were still touching her cheek. She didn't know whether he would ever be able to properly use his left hand again, after getting burnt and having had all sinews and muscles of his forearm severed. Everything had been so weird and she didn't quite know how to explain it to him. "You know I had thought... I had thought I had my mind made up and was just waiting for the right moment to do it and I was... Yet when I realised I couldn't reach as far as Helm's Deep it was the first time I was actually contemplating becoming an elf. I had never really considered it before, I think. In a way, it had never been an option. Yet then I looked into Galadriel's mirror and saw that by waiting so long I would not fit into the human world, they would be suspicious of me. And then suddenly... I don't know; it just happened... that my mind was made up, for real this time. I knew because I didn't feel torn anymore, for the first time in many, many years. I knew this was right." Daëra pulled up the elven pendant that was hanging around her neck on a silvery chain. She still hadn't gotten used to the thought that this was now hers, until the end of time. Haldir touched it with his fingertips. "How does it feel?" he asked quietly. Daëra opened her mouth and closed it again. Then finally she managed to say: "It is such a relief. I do not have to pretend anymore. And Náre – I do not have to take it off at night at all, it doesn't burn me anymore. If you knew what it can do... You know, when you arrived, you were almost gone... But Náre, I felt it worked with me, I wasn't scared of getting burnt or losing control." She hesitated. "I still cannot say whether the Valar are influencing our fates and whether they love us or not. But I was blind and now I can see."

They had only found parts of Elladan and some wounds even fire couldn't heal. Daëra tried to push his image from her mind, but every thought about how happy she was always brought along bad memories of things she hadn't been able to do. She had won Haldir, but lost Elladan. Haldir had been fighting, had seen his wardens die, and yet he kept his face and Daëra just couldn't. Stupid tears welled up in her eyes, Daëra tried in vain to blink them away. With his good arm, Haldir pulled her close and she found herself snuggled to his chest. His skin was still hot from the fire-healing; she had let so much energy flow into him it was a miracle they hadn't both ended up dead. It was another miracle Haldir could still use his legs, since the axe had hit him in the back close to the spine. Haldir stroked her hair and just held her; Daëra didn't know anymore how she had ever survived without his touch. There was no world without him. "I'm so glad you are alive," she whispered, not sure whether he would even hear her. But he was an elf – same as she! – and of course he did. "I am so glad you rescued me – in more than one way."

It was about two weeks after the battle of Helm's Deep that Haldir took his first watch again. He had been out of bed a week before, but this time he hadn't been able to just do what he had always done and pretend nothing had happened. The first few days his left hand had been nothing but a useless extension of his arm and he hadn't been able to turn his head or torso, never to mention bending down. At first he had thought he would never fight or walk properly again, the shock had been less forceful than what one would have thought, since he'd never even expected to live. Yet still, it had been a shock. He didn't want to need help. Anyway, though, he'd had to accept it and fortunately, after a while it had started to get better.

When Orophin had first seen him outside his sick-flet, he had run over to him and pulled him into a crushing hug that had made Haldir's eyes water and driven him half-way to his knees, but his brother hadn't seemed to notice. As soon as he had let go of Haldir – who needed to lean on a tree trunk for support – Orophin immediately started talking. "Don't you ever do that to me again! I was... I thought... After the battle, when I was guarding the Lord and Lady's flet as always, Galadriel called me in and told me you had most likely died. She sat there, just like that, and told me she was going to send a messenger to Rumil and that I could be that messenger, if I wanted to. So in a way she communicated to me that she would understand if I wanted to leave. I did not know what to say, I could not have decided if the fate of the world would have depended on it. Then Galadriel turned and her face lit up, she was saying something about Daëra and how she had not noticed she had decided... The Lady did not send a messenger that night."

When Haldir remember Orophin's agitated speech he felt guilty for having let it come that far. He hadn't got hurt on purpose of course, but he had let himself go. It was never going to be like that again. A soft rustling of leaves and a creaking of branches indicated that someone was effortlessly climbing the tree the flet was on instead of simply using the rope ladder. When Daëra's head appeared, Haldir was slightly surprised at first – he still hadn't got used to how silent and... elven she was all of a sudden. It was strange he had never actually noticed how loud – in comparison – she must have been when she had still been half human. Her ring of power gleamed on her right forefinger... it had obviously adjusted to the size of her fingers when she had become an elf. After all, it was a ring given to the elves.

Daëra smiled at him when she climbed onto the warden's flet. "Back on duty again the minute I'm not paying attention," she teased. Haldir returned the smile. "I am quite well, do not worry... thanks to a certain person." – Daëra wrapped her arms around his neck and held him close. "I don't like it when I wake up and you are not there," she said, eyes closed. She could feel him smile at her neck. "It is quite satisfying, though, to leave before sunrise, knowing that when I come back you will still be there." – Daëra turned her head and whispered close to his lips: "Am I keeping you from your duty?" – He gave her a quick kiss. "You are. But I do not mind." – At that Daëra laughed and stepped back a little. "Then I believe I shall be on duty as well, to compensate for taking up all your attention. Be so kind as to show me your arm." She held her palm upwards so he could lay the back of his left hand in it. Daëra pushed the sleeve up: the scar was read and still tender to the touch. The cut had healed well – yet not as well as the wound on Haldir's back. Daëra nodded slowly. "I think the first blade - the one that cut your arm - was poisoned. When I... sort of... was at Helm's Deep with Náre's help, I focussed on the wound on your back, since it was more lethal... So I think what you were going through on your way back has to have come from the poison in the wound on your arm." She put a bit of lotion onto the red line, her ring was gleaming on her index finger.

Daëra knew Náre had caught Haldir's attention without even looking up. It was strange how much she could do and feel now that she was whole again – or for the first time, actually. – "Are you never taking it off?" He sounded concerned. Suddenly, all the other noises and sensations were drowned out and Daëra just saw Haldir's face, just heard his voice. She smiled warily. "I... just feel safer with it." It was only after the words were out of her mouth that Daëra realised it might have been wiser to keep her lips shut or tell a fib – but then, she didn't really do lying anymore. – "Why would you be scared?" Suspicion was now clearly written all over Haldir's face and he had pulled her a little closer in a protective manner. Daëra shook her head, he was misunderstanding her. "It is no actual fear, meaning there is no real threat. It is more like... Being an elf, I can use the ring properly, but this also means I can see more." – His gaze was not letting her go or get away with it, there was nothing she could do but tell him. Daëra stepped back and pulled Náre off her index finger, letting the light get caught in its smooth shape. "It is so pretty, isn't it? – Keeping in mind that it was Sauron who provided the power to make those rings. Since we elves..." – it was still strange to say 'we' – "...since the rings given to the elves were made by the elf Celebrimbor, Sauron could not poison our rings as he poisoned the human ones. This does not mean, though, that he did not forge a bit of his dark magic, a bit of himself into them. I can see that now."

Haldir was still frowning. "So you can feel him? Sauron?" – Daëra nodded carefully. "Usually only when he is in a particular bad mood. Not that a being like Sauron could ever be truly happy. He will always want more." – "Did Saruman's defeat at Helm's Deep vex him very much?" – "It must have; but I do not know – I wasn't wearing the ring then." She rubbed her eyes. "Sometimes you get that weird feeling... as if Sauron was scheming something, planning evil things." Daëra folded her arms. A feeling just like the one she had right now and been having all day. Automatically she put Náre back onto her finger. She felt in control when she was able to use the fire. It was weird how quick she had gotten used to it. Daëra went to the edge of the flet and looked out onto the plains beyond Lórien, as if she could see as far as Mordor. Galadriel was feeling it to, so was Elrond... yet the latter was not looking towards the eye... he was looking North... "Is that... is there someone riding towards us? An elf?" Daëra didn't have any difficulties in recognising who it was – elven eyes were amazing. "It is your brother. Rumil." – Haldir looked where she was pointing and nodded in astonishment. "But it cannot be. Thranduil would never have let him go anywhere near Lórien so soon." – A dark thought popped up in Daëra's mind. "Unless... unless Mirkwood needs help."

"How many orcs?" Celeborn asked gravely. Rumil shook his head. "I do not know, my Lord – certain is only they are coming from Dol Guldur, Moria and Mordor itself." – "When did you realise Dol Guldur was starting to take action?" – "A week ago, my Lord. As soon as we found out what they were up to, I set off." – "Thranduil let you go? After you had only just returned?" Haldir had asked the question, obviously curious. – "He did indeed," Rumil answered with a small smile. "I believe he saw the gravity of the situation. So he allowed me to warn you." – "I thank you for that." It was the first time the Lady was speaking, and she was sounding truly grateful. "It would be such a shame to have our forest destroyed now that it has lasted so long." – When Rumil next spoke, his voice sounded slightly insecure. "Will you... need help from Mirkwood?" – Daëra could hardly suppress a smile – it was so obvious the elf knew exactly what Thranduil's reply to such a request would be. – Galadriel exchanged a glance with her husband, Daëra and Haldir. "I think we will be just fine. Tell Thranduil we are grateful for his offer." – Rumil nodded and immediately looked happier. "I will have to ride back as soon as possible, if..." He hesitated and then continued slowly: "...if there are no objections." He stared at the Lady warily. Yet Galadriel smiled. "Feel free to go whenever pleases you."

Daëra twisted the ring on her finger, round and round. Rumil and Haldir had already gone to spend some time with Orophin, just the three of them, since no one knew when they would next have the chance to do so. Galadriel walked towards Daëra. "I feel there is something on your mind." – Daëra had long thought about how to best explain it. This sensation, this... there were no real words for it. "My Lady, I was just wondering... how great Sauron's power over our rings might still be. For I fear their power will be lost should we defeat him." – Galadriel just returned Daëra's stare with her deep, blue eyes, knowing that she had more to say. – "Should he win though... I cannot stop thinking that with his own ring back in his possession, he would turn on us and destroy our rings... as well as us and everything around us – every good thing our rings have ever done." – The eyes were deep and blue and knowing; Daëra didn't need any more to know she was right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.2K 617 20
~*book 1 in the 𝑴𝒐𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒏 𝑮𝒊𝒓𝒍 trilogy*~ 𝑨𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒌𝒂 𝑪𝒂𝒎𝒑𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒍 was a normal girl who loved to read books and have fantasies about unre...
2.8K 80 37
(LOTR - Haldir Fic) Aisling Hughes has her life figure out. She has a great job working with her cousins in their family-run hotel business in New Yo...
13.1K 368 24
*Updated all chapters and changed the storyline a bit on 26-02-24 so if you're confused I do recommend rereading the previous chapters* Amdiriel was...
28.8K 1K 57
(Title Doesn't relate to the Arkenstone!) A young girl, whose race is barely known to Middle Earth is put in danger when she, her mother, and many o...