My Record Store Romance

By elizabethrami

After an accident between Hailey and a stranger leaves her summer (and car) in ruins, she is left with no tra... More

My Record Store Romance
Still No Pancakes and a Job Interview
You You You Me and Unbelievable
How It Use to Be and How I Want it To Be, and My Plans For Her
Don't Do That You're Insane and Broken Records
A Little White Lie and a Few Flashbacks
The Sounds of Sadness, Bad Dreams and Our First Customer
Screaming Bones, Wrapping Tape, and the Drive Home
The Affects of Then, Another Lie, and Wishful Thinking
Hugging a Stranger, Anytime Kiddo, and an I.O.U.
Okay Okay Okay -Author's Note-
Craved Feelings, Much Needed Advice, and The Walk Over
Faded Memories, Pancakes at Last, and Seeping Warmth
If Only I Had Paid Attention
Deserving the Worst, Imprints and Returning Lost Things
A Lot Can Happen in Twenty Four Minutes
While the World Cried With Me
Sleep In My Arms, I Can Take the Pain Away
Ally Ally Ally
Suppliers and Stealers of Oxygen
It All Has to Fall Apart Somewhere
Garlic Salt and Awkward Dinner Conversations
The Definition of Drew
Then Her Heart Stopped Beating Part One
Then Her Heart Stopped Beating Part Two
Then Her Heart Stopped Beating Part Three
She Lived but He Died Inside
Very, Very, Very Important Announcement
Apologies
He Was Looking Right Through Me
The MRSR Trailer
When Everything Hurts
He Was the Ocean and I Was the Shore
Most Common MRSR Questions Answered
Open Arms
MRSR 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY CONTEST REMINDER
Congrats Winners; MRSR 2 Year Anniversary Contest
The Phone Call and Frozen Yogurt
The Wrath of Millie Addison
Houses and Homes
The Accidental Arsonist
Black Coffee
I'm a Starving Artist and She's a Picasso Painting Part 1

Feeling a Little Woozy There and Oh Not You Again

164K 3K 536
By elizabethrami

Chapter Three; Feeling a Little Woozy There and Oh Not You Again

Rewritten

______

I glanced down at the watch that rested on my wrist, my heart picking up as I saw the time that glared back at me.

11:46

There was no doubt about it, I was going to be late for my job interview; which began at twelve. I cringed as I shoved my way through an abundance of a crowd, who were all shuffling to one place or another.

I guess I couldn't really help or prevent my time management issues, seeing that my city's population nearly reached about one million people. But, to my horrible misfortune, it seemed at least half of them flooded the streets of downtown, flowing through every corner and in and out of every store.

I was trying to squeeze past all of them as quickly and politely as possible, but after the thousandth "Excuse me!" I was still somehow managing to run, bump, or knock over every person I came in contact with.

As I continued to parade down the streets and avoid large clumps of people, my mind flashed back to this morning. The image of my mom, standing with her lipstick stained coffee mug and clutching her black briefcase came first, along with her saying, "There is no way you'll be able to miss it. Follow my directions, and surely you'll find it right away."

I rolled my eyes at the memory. My mom had forgotten to mention that it was nearing about 110 degrees and it was a forty minute walk all the way down there in the first place.

She also forgot to mention that it would be packed, though I guess I wasn't really expecting that one either. But really, I should've known, considering that other than a few museums and chain restaurants, downtown was my city's main tourist attraction.

I couldn't really understand why, but it was probably just because I'm not adventurous enough; as Millie had told me countless times.

I stumbled over a curb, cursing internally at the woman taking pictures who had bumped into me, and looked for a street sign, one that could point me in the right direction for the restaurant.

But as I looked around, all I could notice was how strange my downtown truly was. With twisting streets, honking cars, and a confusing mixture of skyscrapers and run down businesses, nothing ever really matched something else. Everything always fit together wrong, and the huge crowds of random people pulsing from every entrance or exit really wasn't all too helpful, even if you had lived here all your life.

As I turned down another corner, the heat really started to get to me. My clothes clung to my body as sweat pooled around my skin, and I found myself wiping at my forehead every minute or so. The only thing that made it worse was being pushed or tugged or brushed on by the steady wave of people who continued to pass me, making it less then comfortable to move around.

I continued to stomp down the sidewalk anyway, trying not to notice the feeling of my limbs resembling cooked noodles, and the lump in my throat that grew every time I swallowed.

Had I even taken a sip of water all day today?

I grumbled a quick "Sorry" to another passerby tourist, and rubbed my temples. I could feel a headache coming on from dehydration, and I knew if this went on any longer I was either going to pass out or get extremely frustrated when I came into my interview totally disoriented.

So, I looked around shakily, trying to find the nearest water source in the attempt to prevent anything like that from happening, especially since I was already late and really needed to get a move on.

Without giving it a second thought; I dashed into the nearest shop I could find, listening to the echo of a bell above the door and spotting a beat up water fountain in the corner. And without my better judgement to stop me, I dragged my feet hastily across the room and slapped my hands on the silver push bar, gulping down a few sips of water like something resembling a dog.

"Whoa. Feeling a little woozy there sweetheart?" A slow voice said behind me.

I jumped up, a little startled, and quickly moved away from the water fountain and rearranged my hair back into place. But then instinct took over, and my cheeks began to burn, realizing how silly I must have looked barging into a random store and hobbling over to the water fountain.

I turned around slowly, cringing to see who I had made a fool of myself in front of, but once I did I let out a huge sigh of relief.

Standing across from me, leaning against the wall was an old man; probably in his early to mid-sixties. He had a scruffy white beard with an uneven shave, and a smile plastered on his face. He was also balding, but still had a little bit of salt and pepper hair covering his head, more salt than pepper.

I smiled meekly at him, not exactly sure of what to say.

"Oh, um- I'm sorry for being so rude. I know I kind of ran in and everything-"

"Nonsense." He chuckled, taking his hands out of his pockets. "I know how hot it is outside, and well, you do look a little flustered. It's really no trouble."

If only he knew how flustered I really was.

Then he extended his hand toward me, "I'm Odie." He said, "This is my store."

I took his hand and gave it a strong shake, grateful that he hadn't made me feel ridiculous. "Nice to meet you Odie. I'm Hailey."

He smiled at me again, and as I returned it, I took a moment to glance around the store. Since I had rushed in here at first, I hadn't really had the chance to take it all in, or had even paid attention at all to what the store actually was.

But now that I looked around, my eyes traveling up and down the vintage brick walls that stretched high to the ceiling, the shining record covers and albums that covered every inch of of empty space, the black shelves which hung all over, the record bins thrown in random areas and the red velvet couches in the corner, I realized I was in a record store.

And by the musty smell of dust and old soda, I could tell it had been around for a lot longer than I had. My eyes flickered over to the register, placed upon a large glass counter with countless types of record players lined up around it. A song I recognized as a classic Beatles hit was murmuring in the background.

"Wow." I said, in a total trance. This place was amazing, not to mention nothing like I had ever seen before. I had never owned a record player, or had ever even been interested in owning records. But somehow, I could imagine myself here all the time. Scanning the shelves, dancing around the counter and playing endless records.

"It's really something else isn't it?" Odie added in, still smiling grandly and chuckling lightly. The corners of his mouth and his eyes displayed wrinkles beyond his years. I could tell he had laughed a lot in his lifetime.

I began to circle the room, trying to examine each and every album that hung on the walls. They each had their own decoration, their own color, their own life. They added a certain ambiance to the store that I would never be able to explain.

Odie walked back over to the counter as he yanked a rag from his back pocket, and began dusting off a record player than was staged by the window.

"It was my father's," he said suddenly, and I looked over at him to see that his face had a strange expression, like he was deep in a memory I would never be able to see. "I spent every minute I had in this store, up until he passed away and it became mine officially."

I immediately felt bad for Odie. This store might be wonderful, but it was definitely empty. And it sure didn't look like anyone had come in a long time; at least from what I could tell.

"I'm sorry," I said, and he looked at me as if I had broken him from his thoughts. "About your dad."

He waved a hand at me, regaining his simple smile. "Oh don't worry. That was a long time ago."

He then shrugged his shoulders, going back to dusting as I walked over to a bin of records. I bent down, flipping through them and reading their individual titles. Every one of these records looked inviting, and I knew that if I had enough money I would buy them all from him.

And then, what I was actually suppose to be doing at that moment hit me like a ton of bricks.

My job interview.

I looked down at my watch frantically, springing up from my spot.

12:17.

And I thought my mom was going to kill me before.

Panicking and rushing all at once, I ran over to grab my purse where I left it in the front and slammed it over my shoulder, waving at Odie. He looked at me, confused at why I was leaving so quickly.

"I'm so sorry; I really have to go! It was nice meeting you Odie!" I shouted, bolting out with one foot already through the door. I caught a glimpse of Odie as I turned around, back towards the downtown streets; back towards the clutter and noise and heat.

I sighed as I stood on the sidewalk, now in the middle of a rushing crowd. I knew I needed to find that restaurant, and fast, or I was going to be in even more trouble than I already was; which was quite hard to imagine.

But I couldn't help it. With the faint ring of the bell on the door fading in my ears, I turned around and gave the record store once last glance. That's when something on the window caught my eye.

There, taped to the glass, was a large sign that read;

Now hiring! Easy process, come right in!

If there was a way to describe how I felt at that very moment, it would be something similar to the happiest I've ever felt in my entire life.

A huge grin spread across my face, and I clutched onto my purse as I turned on my heel and walked right back into the record store, standing up straighter then ever.

"I thought you had to go Hailey?" Odie asked, completely confused when he saw me back inside. His white eyebrows were raised as he continued to stare at me.

"Well, I thought I did too, but not anymore." I laughed, but that seemed to make Odie even more confused.

I decided I would clear it up for him. "I noticed a help wanted sign in the window. I was wondering if I could apply for the job?"

Odie's expression from before quickly disappeared as a smile spread across his face. He clapped his hands together excitedly.

"Are you serious?" He asked, a little in awe.

"Very serious." I replied, trying to sound as respectable and professional as possible. If I got this job, I wouldn't even have to go apply for that other place. If I got this job, I might actually be able to enjoy working, even if it was all summer long.

"The job's all your's!" Odie said, but before I could take my turn at being confused, he walked over and enveloped me in a huge hug.

After I could breathe again, I looked over at him, a little shocked. "Um, aren't you going to interview me? Give me paperwork? Anything?" I asked, but he just shook his head.

"Are you kidding me? That sign has been up for two years! You're the first to even apply. I could never pass up an opportunity like this."

I was estatic. I couldn't believe it had all been that easy; my problems were solved.

"Well when can I start?" I asked.

"Tomorrow!" He paused,"The pay is decent, and you never will have to work weekends." Then he looked down at me expectantly, hoping for my approval.

"Sounds perfect." I told him, and he smiled at me.

This man had basically just saved me from the most miserable summer of my life; even if I still was working.

How could I ever be so lucky?

"Oh, but there's one thing." He said, breaking me from my thoughts.

"What's that?" I questioned, still so overjoyed I think I might've had the urge to hug him again.

"I need to introduce you to the only other person that works here." Odie said, chuckling.

I thought it over. Having someone to work with just made it even better. I had no idea I would have company, but it sure was nice to think about. The possibilites were endless.

"Drew, can you come in here?" Odie yelled, twisting towards the back room door, located near the counter. I turned in its direction, waiting excitedly.

The door slowly opened, and I watched as a tall figure slipped out, stepping around a pile of something. I assumed it was records. He whipped around to face us.

Shit.

Forget my luck. This summer, it was doomed. So completely and entirely doomed.

What were the chances, but more importantly; what had I gotten myself into?

In front of the doorway, stood the one and only;

Motorcycle boy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

887 14 47
~ 18+ ~ Laney has no idea where her life is heading. Since leaving school she's had no aspirations, she's never had a stable relationship and she's l...
148K 7.8K 54
NOTE: I REVISED BEFORE YOU GO, SO THERE WILL BE SOME MISINFORMATION IN THIS ONE REGARDING LEON & ELIZA'S RELATIONSHIP. I WILL FIX IT SOON, THOUGH! *...
2.3K 298 41
"Seriously you've dated the same guy since freshman year!" He asks astonished. I nod my head. "So, you've only kissed one guy?" I laugh. "Why does...
269K 16.8K 43
[FREE STORY WITH EXCLUSIVE CHAPTERS] When George Shaw tries to find a plan for the last fifteen days to spend with his best friend, who he's had a cr...