Toymaker

By Kyndaris

Golemetry has always been Lacet's dream. But all of it came crashing down when a babe was pushed into his arm... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Part II - Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 6

1 0 0
By Kyndaris

The night before had been a mistake. Nursing a headache, Idana had, after an hour of searching, found a quiet nook in the Academy library she could retreat into in a desperate bid for peace and quiet. Gabri had found her just as she had settled in, cracking open a book on magical theorems.

Though the young girl had drunk twice as much as Idana, she seemed none the worse for wear. Instead, she seated herself right next to Idana and, with an easy smile, nattered on and on about last night, eager to recount her good fortune in meeting Jyorvik Brinestorm: a pioneer in the budding field of chemistry.

According to Gabri, the two of them had chatted most of the night.

"—you think, Idana? Do you think I'll be ready?"

It took a moment or two for Idana to look up from the swirl of words she was trying to read and realise Gabri had asked her a question. By then, the girl was impatiently drumming her fingers on the desk as she waited for an answer.

Idana took a few seconds to close her eyes and gather her eyes. When she opened them again, she turned to Gabri. "Sorry. Could you repeat that again?"

The younger girl let out a frustrated sigh. "I asked you whether or not I should take the internship. Aleus says to wait but Brinestorm needs an answer by week's end. And I just know it'll be exactly what I need to figure out if I should continue down this path or if I should look to change focus. It's a shame I can't just be a mage. Things would be so much easier if magic just ran in my blood."

"Well, you should do what you think is best," replied Idana. "That's how I usually see it, anyways." She srugged. "If it were up to me, I'd take the chance and just go with it. See where it led me. Don't think on it too hard, Gabri."

Her answer, however, didn't seem to be enough to appease Gabri. The redhead gripped her skirt tightly with her too pale hands. "I know all that. But what if there's something better just around the corner? What if I meet Amadeus Golbrum? And he hears I took up with Brinestorm? The feud between the two of them is notorious! What then?"

Idana didn't know who Amadeus Golbrum was. Nor did she care. But it was clear Gabri was stressed and unhappy about the choice she would eventually have to make, even though opportunity had come knocking on her door. For anyone else, it would be the chance of a lifetime. For Gabri, on the other hand, it meant sleepless nights as she turned over the consequences, riddled with worry.

Sometimes it was so easy to forget Gabri was a lot younger than her and Qina. At the Academy, she carried with her an air of quiet confidence and intelligence that it was easy to mistake it for maturity. Deep down though, Idana suspected Gabri was more than likely afraid and unsure of her place. After all, despite her many talents, she was just a ten-year-old girl.

"Hey, hey, hey," said Idana, reaching around an arm to comfort the girl. "I might not know much about these kinds of things or who might be the best fit for you, but what I do know, Gabri, is you're talented and smart. No matter what you decide, it'll be the right choice."

"You sure?"

"Positive. And I'm doubly sure Qina and Aleus will support whatever decision you make." Idana flashed Gabri what she hoped was a confident smile. Despite the dull pounding in her temples, she knew Gabri needed her at her best right now. "And don't you still have a week? Why don't you list some of the benefits of taking up the internship followed by what you think might be the downsides. Isn't that what you and Aleus usually do when it comes to these kinds of things?"

Silence followed her words. And then Idana felt arms wrap around her waist as Gabri tightly embraced her. "You're right, Idana. Thank you," sniffed Gabri. "You know, you aren't too bad at this advice kind of thing. Qina doesn't give you enough credit."

"Well, that's because Qina is just too worldly for the both of us."

They shared a laugh before each returned to their work.

As her hangover finally subsided into something more manageable, Idana's thoughts turned to Gabri's sister: her first friend in Wyndhaven. Qina was a palace maid and had helped ease her in to the politics at court when she had took on the role of the Crown Prince's magic tutor.

If it hadn't been for Qina, Idana didn't know how she would have survived.

Then, of course, there was Anais. Since she had moved into the dormitories, Idana hadn't been able to catch sight of the dark-skinned noblewoman and adopted daughter of Lord Yaelyn. Though the start of their friendship had started off rocky, they had soon become fast friends.

And it was a shame since she moved out of the palace, she had seen neither hair nor hide of her two main reasons for staying in Wyndhaven. Maybe, thought Idana, she needed to change that.

As the morning passed into early afternoon, Idana's stomach grumbled. Lunch had come and gone. Thankfully, in that time, she had completed her readings and had jotted down a few formulas she would need for class. Now, there was an essay she still needed to write up for Professor Palomen on the nature of familiars and their intrinsic link to a mages' magic.

But that was something she felt better capable to complete in the silence of her room.

Rising to her feet, Idana bid Gabri farewell. The younger girl looked up from her list and waved goodbye, asking if they could grab breakfast tomorrow morning at the refectory. When Idana agreed, Gabri had beamed before returning to her extensive list.

Just as she was about to leave the sanctity of the library and return to her rooms, with perhaps a stop at the refectory for a light snack to eat, there was the sound of a commotion in the atrium.

"Someone get this bloody owl out of here!"

Idana rose to her toes to see over the heads of the gathered crowd, letting her curiosity take the lead. The sudden flap of wings drew Idana's attention. Before she could duck out of the way, a mottled brown great horned owl barrelled towards her.

Mouth full of feathers, she let out an astonished gasp. "Min!"

"Oi! If that bird's yours, you need to take it outside. No pets or familiars allowed in. This is a place of learning. Take the riffraff out." A tall bald man at the door glowered at her. One long finger extended out towards the quadrangle. He wore a formal jacket matched with trousers of the deepest blue.

"I—yes, I'm sorry." Holding on tight to the owl, Idana squeezed past the other students and staff in the atrium and hurried out of the library. All the while, she felt the weight of the man's gaze drilling a hole in the back of her head. The look on his face, as she had ducked under his arm, had promised death and dismemberment if she ever allowed so much as a feather back in the sanctified grounds of the Academy library.

It took all of Idana's willpower not to turn around and stick her tongue out at him.

What crawled up his butt anyways? It wasn't as if Min had been attacking the books. The familiar had simply tried to find her and had made a small bit of fuss in the Goddess-damned atrium.

A coo in her arms had her look down at the distressed great horned owl in her arms. "Oh, I'm so sorry Min." She crouched down and gently released the owl.

Min flared her wings as she landed awkwardly on the ground. As she managed to find her footing, Min turned around and then raised a leg.

It took a moment for Idana to realise what it meant. The owl had a reply from Lacet.

Given how they had parted ways, Idana had feared they would no longer be on speaking terms. Desperation had been the main drive behind her plea to the Dean earlier in the week.

She hadn't expected a response. At least, not one so soon.

Idana untied the missive on the familiar's leg. The message was sealed with magic. It was a spell she had heard of but had never used before. Supposedly, the message could only be read by whoever it was keyed to. No-one else would be able to look at the message unless they could dismantle the magic or if the recipient was dead.

Why had Lacet used such a spell, thought Idana as she unrolled the letter Lacet had sent. Her eyes darted to the first line and then away.

Emotions warred within her.

Lacet's familiar script had woken something in her. A long-forgotten fear she had thought buried when she had taken that first step from Lastrune on a quest to find him. Would he chide her for her stubbornness? Or maybe he was expressing his regret for ever taking her on as his apprentice and ward.

He had never said she was a burden but there had been days she had sensed his frustration. Especially that one incident with the sleeping draught. They had moved to Lastrune afterwards and ever since, she had been ever so careful with her potion brewing, hoping not to make the same mistake and earn his ire.

What if this was something similar?

But this was Lacet. She had to know what he had written in reply.

Decision made, Idana stood in the middle of the Academy quadrangle as she read over what Lacet had written; a lump in her throat and her heart in freefall for fear of what it might contain.

Dear Idana,

Penning this letter to you was no easy feat. Finding the right words has been a difficult endeavour, especially after our fight. But when I received your note, I decided to finally put pen to paper.

Despite what you may believe, I don't hate you. Nor am I mad at your choice. You are a woman near full grown and are capable of making your own decisions.

I sincerely apologise if I ever made you feel lesser. Or for crowding you.

For too long, it's been just the two of us that it's been easier for me to forget you may wish to make new friends and try out new experiences. Oh, and Minerva just nipped my fingers to remind me she is also part of our family. Clever girl.

But I do want to issue you a warning. Marus is a man you should stay well clear of. He is a man full of agendas and I fear what might happen if you should continue associating with him. Be careful, Idana. With him, you play with fire.

And remember, please, what I have told you over the years. Keep your head down and make no ripples. And by no means allow anyone see the true colour of your hair. It paints you as a target to forces that are still unclear even to me.

I beg of you. Do not take any risks which might put you in the crossfire of dangerous people.

All my love,

Lacet

P.S. Please feed Minerva a few treats. She's probably starving from the long-haul flight.

Idana didn't realise she was crying until she was dabbing at her eyes with the sleeves of her shirt. Holding back a sniff, she glanced down at the familiar.

"So, Lacet says you need to be fed. I've got just the thing stashed away."

Min let out a delighted hoot and fluttered up to land on Idana's outstretched arm. Together, they headed back to Idana's dormitory room, sharing stories and catching up. Though they did not have a familial bond, they had a shared understanding that came from all the time they had spent together. After all, for as far back as Idana could recall, Min had always been there for her as one of her first and dearest friends.

~

From up high at the campus aviary, Idana watched Min become a miniscule speck of black in the vast blueness of the sky. Idana leaned on the parapets and looked out at the courtyards stretching out below. Down near the library, the trees were starting to yellow as summer gave way to the first inklings of autumn.

Min had stayed for several joyful days, recuperating the strength she would need to fly back to wherever Lacet was. She would take with her the response Idana had penned to Lacet last night.

For the first time in a long while, Idana felt near buoyant and giddy. Lacet didn't hate her. And, at the very least, seemed open to letter exchanges. She had feared the worse when Lacet had sent no word after he had departed the capital, terrified she had burnt the one bridge she ought not to.

The reply had taken her hours to pen. Idana had been up until the crack of dawn writing and rewriting her letter to Lacet. Each and every word had to be perfect and there were balls of unfinished letters scattered across her bed and the floor of her room she would need to dispose of properly.

Still, she had managed it in the end. She prayed to Amoleth Lacet would continue to correspond with her. Distance might separate them now but they were still a family. At least, that was how Idana had always seen it.

She, Lacet and Min.

When it was clear she couldn't see the horned owl at all, Idana headed down the tower. It was her first day of rest after two and a half weeks of endless study. While there were plenty of things she needed to do – like the mountain of homework she needed to tackle for her various courses – Idana felt it best to pay a visit to Laina.

With the rest of the afternoon to look forward to, Idana felt it was best for her to pay a visit to Laina. It had been too long since she had found time to drop by The Thirsty Hog. And Idana just knew the poor innkeeper was beside herself with worry over her son.

Besides, despite the work she needed to turn in for class in the next few days, she was already familiar with the content and the long hours of actual practical application when it came to healing magic.

But Emeret's trial was fast approaching and Idana wanted to be there for the woman that had been her first friendly face in in the city of Wyndhaven. Emeret too deserved a visit.

He might not be her favourite person but she didn't think he deserved what was happening to him. After all, Emeret had been coerced into the act. Since then, he'd been cooperative, informing the city guards and the King what little he knew of the insurgent movement and their plans.

Surely that had to mean something.

Out in the streets of the city, people hurried by. It always took her aback there were thousands upon thousands of families calling Wyndhaven home. Lastrune, and the many other nameless villages she and Lacet had found themselves in, were completely different. There, life was much more sedate; docile, even. Everyone knew everyone else. There was a sense of community that was absent in the big city.

Wyndhaven might thrum with activity but Idana had never felt as alone as she did here. Not one person stopped to chat with her or those beside them. It was like she was invisible, even as she was heralded in the broadsheets for her role in the attack on the palace.

Idana didn't know how she felt about that as she wended her way through the now familiar streets as she headed deeper into the heart of the city. Her destination: The Thirsty Hog.

The inn was all but silent as Idana stepped through the entranceway. There was no sign of Laina.

Idana was reminded instantly of her first day in the capital. Back then The Thirsty Hog had been just as empty. Still, it was a bit odd, considering it was early afternoon and the usual patrons weren't already in having a pint or two.

"Laina?" The question echoed through the vast cavernous tavern. "Laina, it's Idana. I thought I'd come pay you a visit?"

There was no response to her entreaty.

Unsure if she ought to go searching for the proprietor or if she should maybe wait a while longer, Idana wandered over towards the upright piano sequestered in the corner of the tavern. Though she had not stayed long at the tavern, on many a night she had heard the most delightful twinkling of notes. It was one of the most beautiful things she had ever heard in her life.

Curiosity getting the better of her, Idana reached out a finger and pressed down on one of the ivory keys. A discordant note echoed through the air. And then, if summoned, a portly woman emerged from behind the bar. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were lined in red.

The last few weeks had not been kind to Laina, it seemed.

"We're close—oh, it's you, Idana. I'm so sorry I didn't hear you earlier." Laina motioned to the empty tables and chairs. "As you can see, business hasn't been booming, to say the least. Not that I can bring myself to care. I find my heart isn't in this kind of business anymore." The rest went unsaid though Idana heard the innkeeper's voice crack and her lip tremble. Laina reached down into her apron pockets for a kerchief.

Chest tight, Idana placed a comforting hand on the woman's arm. She tried to think of something to say but nothing seemed adequate. "It's going to be all right, Laina. You'll see."

The innkeeper flashed a weary smile but pulled away. "I thank you for your concern, Idana, but this is a storm only I can weather."

"But you don't have to. I can talk to someone," blurted out Idana. She waved at the tavern. "Fix this!"

Laina gently shook her head. "My dear, you will soon learn there are some things in life that cannot be fixed. It is no easy feat to take back a decision once made. Every day, I go over what I might have done better. Perhaps if I had married a rich husband or had thought to ask Emeret about what was bothering him when he attended school. But the past cannot be changed."

Idana could not believe what she was hearing. Where was Laina's fighting spirit? This was Emeret they were talking about! If it were Lacet's life on the line, Idana knew she would be fighting tooth and nail to free him.

And yet there was truth to Laina's words.

After all, hadn't she been there when Emeret had stabbed the nobleman? When it came down to it, Emeret had made his choice, difficult though it had been caught between two impossibilities. Then there was the fact his deed had been witnessed by a hundred or more.

They could argue until they were blue in the face about whether Emeret had been in his right mind, but his actions on that night were immutable. They were set in stone. And now he was rotting inside a jail cell, awaiting a sentence for what he had made.

Still, this wasn't right. And Idana hated that she felt so stinkin' helpless!

"The only regret I have is I've not been able to see my boy." Laina's voice cut through the silence, tinged with bitterness, and pulled Idana from her thoughts. "For weeks I've tried to visit him but the guards simply won't allow it. Can't they see I'm naught but a grieving mother? It isn't as if I'll sneak him out. I love Emeret but I know what he did. I just want a chance to talk to him."

Idana's heart went out for Laina. Ever since she had masqueraded as Anais, security had been tight around the various city outposts. The guards checked everyone that crossed the threshold but more often than not, turned people away for fear of a doppelganger. They now had code words they used to confirm each other's identity.

Nothing got past their scrutiny. Unless...

Excitement thrummed through Idana at the memory of a lesson naught but a week old. There had been a discussion about the working of light and how the interplay of it was so instrumental in creating a believable image. In essence, illusion magic. But then the conversation had dovetailed into what might happen if light was bent back towards the recipient or if there was an absence of light entirely.

Maybe there was a way she could sneak the Laina in for a visit. What if she could divert light in such a way all people would see was the stone behind them? Never once suspecting there might be something there that wasn't.

It was a risk to be sure. The logistics of the spell was something she would need to figure out. But, how did that saying go? Nothing ventured, nothing gained?

And Idana was all in if it would bring some closure to the woman who had helped put a roof over her head during those first fraught days in Wyndhaven.

Idana looked up at Laina, a wide grin on her face as the first inklings of a plan came together in her mind. "Laina, what if I told you there might be a way for you to see Emeret with no-one the wiser? Would you take it?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 337 15
One is a king of bygone kingdom. The last of the Ice elves of Eitir. The other is a desert nomad from people of outcasts. Together they created a dy...
34.8K 1.6K 70
Imagine awakening with amnesia. Most would lose their mind and our Main Character is no different. Though he handles it better than most, his curiosi...
2.4K 519 60
[Book Three of the "Patrons' World" series.] What was he without war? No longer a husband. Never a father. No family or friends to speak of. For deca...
31K 1K 41
Slowburn | Enemies to lovers | dark romance | false prophets | Space Opera | triangle | strong femme characters | eventual Romance | Eventual smut | ...