Blessed: The Abandoned Wife

By misttressofseas

Their arranged marriage ended six years ago.... then who is her daughter....is it her daughter or his as well... More

Characters Introduction
Slap
Reining in the Chaos
Meet-a-friend
Un-Accountable Encounter!
Time Out
Looking for a Frog
Honeymoon Tours and Travels
Song of the heart
Running into you!
The Return
Growl...
What kind of marriage?
Proof
Answers and Questions
Vee and Dee
Coffee Date
Dyuti's father?
Investigation begins
Primate, horses and a bat?
Making of a Match?
Il-'logical' choice?
Aftermath
The March
Mailing and a Legal Date
Paid Surprise
The Parleys

They tell him...

550 28 10
By misttressofseas

Shubhi let out a sigh of relief when she parked the car at home, her cousins came rushing to help with the bags. Back home the report of her meeting with Pratham has been filed by the aunt by the time she reached home. Her mother was happy and assuming that Shubhi was interested, she asked her to think of the next date. Shubhi on the other hand, was thankful she did not need to have to talk about the incident in the parking lot. The boxes of goodies were enough to keep Dyuti and some of her cousins engaged through the evening and she was thankful again to the aunt for it. Today was a historical day, it started with him irritating her, then he helped her, then she punched him, stepped on his feet and even allowed that kiss! All in a day! She knew she did the right thing by stepping on his toes to cut the kiss, what was that man thinking! Giving her logic of why she should consider marrying him!!

Daivik drove the car back home in a bad mood. Everything at lunch had gone bad, starting from that fellow Pratham smiling like a puppy and Shubhi mooning over him in response. He did not like the conversation with the aunt and how she was playing matchmaker for the other guy. He wanted to scream and shout! He also needed a team on his side! To do what, he was not sure! The conversation in the parking lot was still hostile but at least they talked...he was getting used to her violent behavior.....and the kiss...that was something he planned to wear on his lips for a long time. Her reaction was the only saving grace, his memories from the past had served him well. It was as if someone had turned the clock back by six years....

Viren and Jai were in the study when Daivik arrived at the Rawal Residence. Viren had told the housekeeper to send Daivik directly to join them in the study. Anita had arranged a play date for the kids and Veni had gone to her house, allowing Viren to give his full attention to the matter at hand. They were seated on the couch in the presentation section, the wide screen was a few feet away and Viren's laptop was on the small table next to the couch. Behind them was Viren's huge desk and a large bookshelf lined the walls at the back and the right. To the left was the door, and when Daivik entered through that he saw his brother wearing a weird expression but talking to Jai in all seriousness. They were pointing to his photograph on the big screen. 

'Hey guys why are you checking my baby photos on the big screen?'

Both Jai and Viren were thinking how to respond to that when Daivik realised something. 

'But why do I look so modern and this background is weird. And those clothes, eesh, did you dig out some secret stash from mom where she dressed me in girlie clothes and took these photos?'

By now Daivik had plopped himself next to Jai on the couch and faced Viren. Both Jai and Viren were exchanging looks when Jai decided to break it to Daivik. 

'Dev, this is not you... in the picture...'

'Then who is it?'

Viren says, 'These are Dyuti's pictures.'

Daivik: Dyuti as in Shubhi's daughter? 

Viren: Yes

Daivik: But why are you checking her pictures? She seems very small here.....looks so much like me...

Viren: (bringing up Daivik's picture) see this is you in similar age and pose

Daivik: Yes that is me, but anyone will get confused looking at the pics....

Jai: Precisely, that is what we are thinking as well

Viren: We are exploring a theory of her parentage, they say the child resembles the father in first few years of life 

Daivik: Her father was in the army and we do not have his pictures

Jai: Yes we don't have that to match these against anyone else...but as you said she looks so much like you

Daivik: Why would she look so much like me when her father is someone else......until....and unless...

Jai: That is exactly what we are investigating...

Daivik: So you are investigating that.....if....

Jai: (trying to give time to Daivik to process ) Are there more pictures Veer?

Viren: Yes I am bringing them up, I was able to get around 10-15 pictures of similar poses

Jai, Viren and Daivik look at the screen as Viren flips through the pictures. As they look at pictures, one after another, it becomes increasingly obvious  that Daivik was the father. 

Daivik: Bhai, how correct is your theory? I mean.....

Jai: This is not foolproof, but is a good indicator of parentage

Daivik: What are the other factors?

Viren: Dev, the more I look at it, the more it looks certain....what do you think

Daivik: (almost stammering, his heart thudding in his chest) I am unable to think. This is too much of a shock

Jai: I think that if other indicators are in place, then this will be clinching evidence....

Viren: Are you thinking of the courts?

Jai: I am a lawyer, what else will I think of? Is there a problem. What does she want?

Viren: As of now nothing from us...in terms of support, she has her family and this gang of girls...

Jai: Wait! Is she part of Dits' mommy gang?

Viren: Yes, I have also known her for more than a year now, but never made the connection...with Dev...

Jai: Hmmm the one with a daughter and not even looking for a husband. I think I know her, but I do not remember her name...

Daivik: Her name is Shubhi, and she is a CA.

Jai: That figures, now I know which one it is. And (in a conspiratorial tone) if you want, I can get you all the choiciest adjectives that you have been adorned with (Jai said with a sarcastic smile)

Viren: Any other time, it would have been helpful. But right now, we need to do something.

Jai: Why? Has she asked for money or anything else?

Daivik: No! That is what fooled me! She has not asked for anything! 

Jai: Then why do we need to do something?

Viren: Don't you understand? The child is his! She is Rawal blood!

Daivik has a physical reaction to this statement and he walks out of the study to the nearest washroom. He crashes on the floor and sits there, not wanting to step out. Jai and Viren continue the conversation assuming Daivik will be back soon. 

Jai: There is still a small 'if' on parentage. 

Viren: Yes, Rajan is yet to share the records!

Jai: So we wait for that

Viren: She is the daughter of this house! My family! I am sure Dev would want custody!

Jai: But we filed for annulment. You do understand that it means they told the court that the marriage was not consummated.

Viren: And that can cause complication?

Jai: Yes, if he has filed that the marriage was never consummated then how can he claim the child to be his?

Viren: But surely there are children out of wedlock. He says it all happened when the marriage was over. Documents were in the process, and by the time they returned to civilization, they were no longer married.

Jai: Yes, but the rights of the father in that case, err... of illegitimacy, will be limited. Also, he has never taken an interest in the girl for five years, his case will be weak.

Viren: But that is because he never knew....

Jai: Do you know how that will sound in a court? We are starting off by saying that he is an uncaring father! No interest in the mother or the daughter!

Viren: There was no reason to interact...

Jai: For five years! But how did we come to know now?

Viren: Our charity VinRa helped in Dyuti's surgery....and Shubhi wanted to thank the sponsors, I had sent Daivik to the hospital.

Jai: And what happened?

Viren: I do not know the exact details, but Rajan told me that Shubhi slapped Daivik...

Jai: This sounds horrible neglect Veeru! Is there anything else I should know about?

Viren: There is a possibility, that Shubhi came to the house to talk to mom about the child when she was pregnant...

Jai: I am hoping it went well...

Viren: Well, it did not, mom turned her and her brother out of the house at night...

Jai: Veeru, this is downright cruelty. I better take the case from the other side...

Viren: Jai, we need you....

Jai: Jeez, everything says that this is a dead case for you...their case is too strong...

Viren: Hmmm but the other side cannot deny the paternity, I have not sensed any antagonism there...the family seems...agreeable. I saw them at Amish's wedding.

Jai: I could not make it that day. How are they linked?

Viren: Ohh Amish married her younger sister...Shuchi...and the family did not kick us out, so I think they are not too antagonistic...

Jai: But Veeru, they have a lot going for them....you can forget custody... they can say that your mother threw a pregnant woman out of the house in the night. They can claim that they are concerned about the safety of the girl and the mother. For five years, the father did not even look for her....this is irresponsibility....In fact, forget the legality if any of that, leaks- media will have a field day...

Viren: This sounds horrible, we have done very badly. As you are putting it, we cannot go to the courts then. Is there a way around that? 

While Jai and Viren were in their legal discussions, Daivik had passed out on the bathroom floor. 

At the other end of the city, Anita and Soumya called up Shubhi to check how the date went. 

Anita: Hey girl! How was our Primate? Was he caveman enough for you?

Shubhi: Oh God! I finally realized that you have named Pratham as Primate

Soumya: Ani he is way too handsome to be a monkey

Anita: That is why- Primate, no common monkey. But tell me did he monkey around with our girl?

Shubhi: He was nice, he was helpful in the kitchen, talked nicely...I mean

Soumya: I heard him praising your cooking girl!

Anita: Aha nice, the man knows that way to a woman's heart

Soumya: Help in the kitchen and compliments, big green flag!

Shubhi: We exchanged phone numbers, thats all

Soumya: Aunt told me that the next date is being planned!

Anita: We can plan the dates- engagement and wedding 

Shubhi: I have met him only once!!

Soumya: Hey girl, what is Daivik doing between the two of you?

Anita: What Rawal junior was there as well?

Soumya: How can he ever leave our princess alone? I see this picture of him in the group chat, standing between Shubhi and Pratham.....

Anita: Ohh this man is annoying....

Soumya: Did he trouble you much after I left?

Shubhi: Other than telling me that logically I should marry him, not much!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Authors Note: Finally he knows, almost, it has dawned on him :) Looking forward to what you all think!

Comment to share what you think? @SoniaGuglani @hellofeelas ...what do you think his reaction will be?

Thank you all! The overall reads have crossed 11k!!

All the support in as votes and comments keeps me going :)

🌟 Thanks a bunch for the votes and comments! @minnietina @AKSHARA1904 @Otisheas @AakankshaThodopunoor @Stephanie28beatrix @ArathyVs @hellofeelas @aadha_aloo @2315_me @sequoia_11 @TashiSingh1 @Amyramalhotra @Akshaya935 @kaashi97 @MonaMaurya @SnowMeadows @kpajvani @SwatigaudC432 @Smiling130840 @asane_addiba @Werewolflove2 @rajulshivanshi @mahi_godhani @shreya0606 @R1911813 @Punny05 @SahityaBL

Given the number of votes, I am sure to have missed or misspelt some, please leave a comment if you want to be tagged in the next chapter!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.3K 2.7K 23
Book cover edited by Graceee ✨️ As I enter in my room I saw my babies are sleeping together in my bed. Then I realized may be I should give a chance...
1.4M 54.3K 37
.... am I that bad to be loved, wanted. I am an unwanted daughter, now i will be an unwanted wife. God what's your problem. Why am i so unwanted in t...
23.1K 852 14
Witness the lives of 4 Rathore heirs with their wives. Will they be able to accept each other or will these marriages sink at least as deep as the Pa...
18.3K 2.3K 14
PRERNA MATHUR is a beautiful and successful businesswoman, but the shallow world has reduced her existence to just looks and richness. Being the only...