Wings of Fire; The Legend

By Valyriahh

100 years after the dragons of Pantala merged with Pyrriah, hybrids became a lot more common in this world. A... More

Prologue
Chapter 1- Jade Mountain
Chapter 3 - Wingmates

Chapter 2- Jade Winglet

8 0 0
By Valyriahh

     North's head raised up at the sight of the mountain in the far distance, peaking through the horizon just barely, but enough to see. His eyes gleaming at the sight, he felt a rush of excitement wash over him, this was his chance, his chance to make new friends, to start a new life! His mouth curved at the sides, turning into a big smile.

He turned to Azure, "Look! It's right there! We're so close!" North shouted with excitement, pointing over to Jade Mountain. He watched her eyes beam with wonder as she gazed upon Jade Mountain.

"Wow, I can't believe we're here!" She turned to North with a giant smile on her face, "Come on, I'll race you there!" She shouted as she dashed past North, leaving a gust of wind to greet his face. He laughed and dashed right after her.

Jade Mountain slowly closed in, Azure was in the lead as she had a head start, right before her talons touched the ground of the entrance, she tumbled into an unsuspecting Nightwing that had just landed in her path. North lands next to the two tumbling onto the ground, his talons feeling the coldness of the stone floor beneath him. A wave on anxiousness overcame him as the entrance of the school loomed over him, standing tall. He turns to Azure who gets up off the ground as the Nightwing gives her a scowled look. She apologizes to him, and he forgives her.

"She's hilarious, I wonder who will be in my winglet? Maybe it will be her, I hope so." North thought.

Azure walks her way over to him, " I feel so bad, I didn't see that guy coming! He seems to have forgiven me though, so that's good."

North smiles at her, "Yeah I suppose, let's head inside, i'm so excited to see who's in our winglets!"

"I hope you're in my winglet, I don't know any other dragons.." Azure mumbled.

North turns to her, "Well even if you're not, maybe we can ask them to change it?"

She looks up at him, "yeah you're right maybe we can, but let's go!" She said, walking in front of him, walking through the open front doors of Jade Mountain.

North took a deep breath to calm his nerves as he stepped his talons through the front doors. The first thing inside the school was the common area, all of the dragons attending the school were crowded in the room, while up on the ledge were some bigger dragons that had tons of papers.

They're probably the ones going to announce the winglets. He thought. North looked around the room, taking in all of the faces and features of all of the different dragons around him, there was a Sandwing next to a skywing messing around with a small Seawing, dangling the seawings necklace above his head, and on the other side of the room was an Icewing talking to what looks like a hybrid silkwing nightwing. There were so many different dragons here! So many new friends and things to learn. He turned to his right to look at Azure but she wasn't there.

    Where did she run off to? North looked up in front of the crowd by the ledge, she was looking up at the ledge to the teacher dragons that were up there.

     What in the world is she doing? I better go over before she does something stupid again.

    North flies over the crowd, carful not to touch anything or anyone. The crowd of dragons shiver below him as a cold gust of wind from his scales blew onto them. He lands right next to Azure and she greets him with a smile.

   "Hey! Are you excited for this? I heard they had a library, a huge one in fact!" She said excitedly.

    North giggled at her and smiled back. "You like your scrolls huh?" He replied.

   She nods at him, "Yes! That's all I really did back home, I'd love to learn about new dragons!" Her face dropped as she realized, "oh wait, you can't read scrolls can you?"

   He smiled awkwardly at her, avoiding eye contact. "Yeah.. I can't. I don't even know how to read."

   "That's alright, I'm sure they'll teach you here, and if you ever need help I can help you."

   North mumbled,  "But how would I read it if I can't touch it?" He looks down at his talons.

   "Then I'll hold it for you, it's okay, I'll help you North." Azure said cheerfully.

   North looked up at her yellow eyes, her scales gleaming in the sunlight that poured through the open front doors of the school.

    Suddenly, he feels something crash into him from behind, he tumbles forwards a little bit and then turns around quickly to see a Leafwing on the ground beside him, with a frozen, shattered pot on the floor in front of them.

    North breathes a sigh of relief as the Leafwing had not touched him, only the pot. The Leafwing was small, had a deep blueish green scales with hints of a lighter blue color. They looked up at North, with a horrified look.

    North picked up the shattered, frozen pot in his talons. The small flower that was once in the pot along with a sapling tree, was perfectly preserved in a chunk of ice. He tried to collect all of the shattered ice off the floor as the Leafwing quickly got up on their talons.

   "You..you're a monster!" They yelled, as they ran away, disappearing into the crowd.

    All eyes were on North, everyone was looking at him, he could feel his chest start to tighten up. He stood there, frozen, not knowing what to do. Then, a dragon up on the ledge walked forward, she was tall and was a Sandwing with a little off color scales, a descendent of Sunny.

    "Ahem.. everyone pay attention! Look up here! Everyone is here correct?" The crowd was silent. "Alright good, I'd like to thank you all for choosing to be here and learn with us at Jade Mountain! You'll learn all sorts of stuff here as well as..." The dragon trailed off.

North turned to Azure as the dragon on the ledge kept talking, Azure was watching the dragon very closely, taking in everything they were saying, and writing it down in her small notebook she had in the satchel that lay neatly around her neck.

"Alright dragonets.. now I will announce the winglets! You will also have an assigned teacher to each winglet for attendance check and to keep watch over your winglet." The dragon cleared their through as they took a paper out of one of the dragons talons standing next to them. They held the paper close to their face and continued.

"Alright, the first winglet is the Gold winglet, the gold winglet has 9 members,

Sandwing: Viper
Seawing: Pearl
Leafwing: Aspen
Hivewing: Honeycomb
Icewing/skywing: Altitude
Mudwing: Boulder
Silkwing: Atticus
Nightwing: Dream-Seeker
Rainwing: Quoll

Teacher: Mudwing: Gator

And In the Silver Winglet we have 7 dragons;

Silkwing: Tasar
Sandwing/hivewing: Beetle
Seawing: Hurricane
Rainwing/skywing: Eagle
Leafwing/Icewing: Tundra
Mudwing: Frog
Nightwing: Shadow-Speeker

Teacher: Nightwing: Moon-Gazer

And in the copper winglet we have 10 dragons

Sandwing: Sandstorm
Seawing: Kelp
Icewing: Snowflake
Mudwing: Plateau
Nightwing: Night-Chaser
Skywing: Peregrine
Leafwing: Cedar
Rainwing: Lemur
Silkwing: Yellowtail
Hivewing: Owlfly

Teacher: Icewing: Narwal

And finally, in the Jade winglet we have 9 dragons;

Sea/silk: Azure
Icewing: North
Nightwing: Vethril
Rainwing: princess Lilypad
Sandwing: Scorpian
Skywing: SwiftBurst
Hivewing: Honeydew
Leafwing: Ivy
Mudwing: Buffalo

Teacher: Sandwing: Acacia

And that concludes our Students Winglets and their teachers assigned to the winglets. Now can the teachers of each winglet come fourth?"

North heard talon steps coming from behind the speaker dragon, a Sandwing, Nightwing, Icewing, and Mudwing slowly appeared behind them.

"Alright, first up is the gold winglet teacher, Gator, please step forward." Said the speaker dragon.

A giant Mudwing came forward, standing next to the speaker dragon. He was tall and big, most likely a bigwings. He had a scar across his left eye and upper lip. His scales were a deep grey-ish brown, with his underbelly being a light tan, the middle being a maroon. His dark brown eyes scowled at the whole room and the dragonets below.

"Alright Gold Winglet, follow Mr. Gator here and he'll show you to your rooms." Gator walked off the stage as a group of dragonets followed him out of the room.

"Alright, next is the Silver Winglet.." The speaker dragon trailed off.

Azure turned towards North with an excited look on her face.

Azure whispered, " North! We're in the same winglet, I'm so happy to at least have someone I know in my winglet." North smiled at her.

"Yes I agree, I am so happy! I can't wait to meet the rest of our winglet, I hope they're nice." North exclaimed.

"I'm sure everything will be just fine North. I wonder who my wingmate will be?" Azure said quietly, going into thought.

"Ahem, now the last one, Jade winglet." Said the speaker dragon, North and Azure turned towards the front, a Tall, but skinny, Sandwing stands before them, looking down on them from the ledge of the stage. North gulped, getting a little anxious. The Sandwing had a brown leather pouch around her waist, and round silver glasses. Her scales were a light tan with her underbelly being white, her frill and wings were a pinkish and had a few pink scales.

"Now, follow her Jade winglet.." said the speaker dragon. Acacia walked off the stage, North, Azure and a few other dragons behind him, followed Acacia into the next room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
53M 1.3M 70
after a prank gone terribly wrong, hayden jones is sent across country to caldwell academy, a school for the bitchy, the dangerous and the rebellious...
1.3M 55.1K 101
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
194K 5.7K 71
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...