A missing piece... The other...

By 3HaNaNa3

Salvatore Smith meets a woman with whom he shared few nights after loosing his wife. It was 12 years ago, sh... More

Characters
Chapter 1 - Fumiko Tanaka...
Chapter 2 - Make a choice...
Chapter 3 - I am your father...
Chapter 4 - Strangers...
Chapter 5 - Give me a chance...
Chapter 6 - She was murdered...
Chapter 7 - Time to say Goodbye...
Chapter 8 - Make your choice...
Chapter 9 - One day after another...
Chapter 10 - New School...
Chapter 11 - New friend...
Chapter 12 - Where is Suki???
Chapter 13 - Onii-san...
Chapter 14 - School bully...
Chapter 15 - Otรด-san...
Chapter 16 - Normal days...
Chapter 17 - A day with you...
Chapter 18 - Paparazzi...
Chapter 19 - Takeshiro Tanaka...
Chapter 20 - Happy birthday Mom...
Chapter 21 - Unexpected visit...
Chapter 22 - Gianni's training...
Chapter 23 - Weird...
Chapter 24 - Fight at school...
Chapter 25 - Valentina...
Chapter 26 - Uncle's attack...
Chapter 27 - Feelings...
Chapter 29 - Mr Rossi...
Chapter 30 - The package...
Chapter 31 - Back to school...
Chapter 32 - School Festival?

Chapter 28 - Long night...

2.5K 123 29
By 3HaNaNa3

Suki stopped crying at Dante's words. He called her his little sister. Was he finally recognizing himself as her older brother? She wiped her tears and stared at him with her shining beautiful eyes.

Dante: Finally... it's useless to cry like that, I'm not dead, you neither but the bad guy is!

Suki: Is he really...

Dante: Dead? Yes, already rotting in hell! (She was shocked by his coldness regarding someone's death.) I am sorry that you had to hear that jerk talking about your mother like he did... but just think that she was avenged and that he will never be able to hurt you anymore!

Suki: But... you and Gabriel... the police, they will...

Dante: Cops are not a problem, so no need to worry!

Suki: Really?

Dante: You really have trust issues... but I can't blame you... brief, never put yourself in danger in the future! You have brothers able to protect you, it's not a kid's job to protect us, understood?

Suki: Yes... Thank you... 

Suki was now calmer, but her eyes and red cheeks were showing that she had cried. Dante sat on the couch and few minutes later, Salvatore and Gabriel entered.

Salvatore: Suki, we've got everything necessary to go home, if you feel good enough, we can leave the hospital.

Suki: (She looked at her outfit.) Ah yes... but, my clothes...

Salvatore: (He took off his jacket.) Your clothes are not wearable. You will have to wear my jacket, I am sorry.

Suki: It's okay... and your jacket is so long that it covers the hospital gown... (She smiled to reassure him.)

Salvatore: My daughter is a very understanding little girl... let me help you... you have to be very careful with your arm. (He put the jacket on her shoulders with cautious and attached the buttons.)

Gabriel: I will carry you to the car!

Suki: I can walk.

Gabriel: It is not negotiable. (He kneeled down to help her to put her shoes.) Ifit's painful, tell me immediately. (He delicately lifted her.)

Suki was embarrassed to be carried like a child in front of everyone. To avoid to see people's gazes on her, she hid her face in the crock of Gabriel's neck. The young man was very careful and walked slowly. Salvatore was walking ahead, and Dante was behind, keeping an eye on everyone.

They reached the hospital entry where 3 cars and one van with black windows were waiting for them. Bodyguards were in alert and that scene attracted people's attention. They didn't waste time and got in the van. Dante asked the driver to be extremely careful on his drive if he wanted to keep his job.

Suki felt asleep after 10 minutes in the car. When they reached home, Gabriel preferred to gently wake her up to avoid to startle her and taking the risk that she hurt herself. Once again, Gabriel carried her to bedroom and he proposed to help her but she strongly refused, blushing of embarrassment. 

Gabriel: Suki, you don't have to feel embarrassed, I am your brother.

Suki: No... I can do it myself... and you're a boy...

Suki murmured the last part and Gabriel couldn't avoid to smile. He was seeing himself more like a man than like a boy, but it was the way of thinking of an 11 years old girl. Just like the time she said that he was beautiful instead of handsome, reflecting her innocence. He patted her head affectionately.

Gabriel: Okay, but please be careful. A nurse should arrive soon, she will help you for every things that require a girl and not a boy.

Suki: Thank you.

The young man went to his own bedroom to take a shower too and wear comfortable clothes. After he was done, he stopped once again by Suki's bedroom and found his father waiting on the border of the bed, Suki was still in the bathroom.

Gabriel: She is not done yet?

Salvatore: No, and when I proposed my help, she refused! I am her father, why is she so against receiving my help?

Gabriel: Because you and I, we are "boys"... you understand, right?

Salvatore: That is what she said? (Gabriel nodded.) Raising a girl is not that easy...

Gabriel: She is clearly not comfortable with the opposite gender, and it is not to displease me... even if it means with us too. At least, she will not listen to the first fu**boy that will show up!

Salvatore: Don't mention that... I already know that it will be troublesome for me...

Suki: (She opened the bathroom door.) You... are still here? 

Despite her arm in a brace, she was able to refresh herself but not taking a full shower and even less, washing her hair correctly. She had put her night outfit, but the top was not well adjusted. 

Salvatore: You should have let me help you. (He readjusted the top.)

Suki: When the nurse will arrive, I will ask her to help me...

Salvatore: Your recovery is essential, please don't overwork yourself!

Suki: Yes... I don't want you to worry.

Gabriel: Let's have dinner and then, you will rest. It was a long day!

Suki followed her father and brother downstairs. Gabriel wanted to carry her once again, but the little girl insisted that she didn't need his help, that they were at home.

When the entered the dining room, food was displayed by the twins. They had ordered Asian foods after Enzo proposed it. Dante was not present, and Suki was wondering where he was, but the answer came quickly, he entered the room with his hair still wet and he was putting his t-shirt on him.

Dante: The food arrived? I'm starving!

Salvatore: Hum... you seem in a hurry effectively!

Enzo: Suki, we ordered Asian food from the best restaurant of the city. There is a bit of Chinese, Korean and Japanese too... and even Thai. We thought that it was good to change, what do you think?

Suki: That's a lot of food... (She sat next to him.)

Enzo: I don't think so... by which one do you want to start?

Suki: I like that Chinese dish... (She pointed at one of the dishes.)

Enzo: Okay... (He put food on her plate.) Do you want me to feed you?

Suki: No!... I mean, I am right-handed, I can eat by myself...

Salvatore: Suki seems to like being independent and if she needs some help, for anything, she promised to ask us. Right, Suki? (She nodded.)

Gianni: A thing that will never happen given her character... (She looked at him and he smirked, his eyes on her.)... am I wrong?

Suki blushed and looked away. That type of stare from Gianni was not something she could keep at for long seconds and he knew it. Dante was just like Gianni, he also thought that Suki will do her maximum to not have to ask help from them.

Suki didn't respond to Gianni's statement and instead, tasted the food. As she imagined when Enzo told her that it was food from the best restaurant of the city, everything was delicious. She tried a bit of everything in small quantities, but her brothers didn't let anything go to waste. She was amazed that they could eat so much.

She still have some food in her plate, but she was eating more and more slowly. She didn't notice that her eyes were closing all alone.

Dante: The kid is falling asleep at the table... when is that nurse coming so she can check on her wound before she could go to rest?!

Salvatore: (He stood up and kneeled near Suki.) Suki... are you alright? (She was fighting to open her eyes.) Let me take you to your bedroom.

Suki didn't resist when Salvatore passed one arm under her knees and the other one in her back to carry her. She was too tired for that; due to the medicine she took.

When the head of the family crossed the living room, one of the guard arrived with the nurse. She arrived a bit before, but the guards kept her in wait while the family was having dinner.

Salvatore: You're finally here?!

Guard: Sorry Sir, the nurse arrived 10 minutes ago but we didn't want to bother you during your dinner.

Salvatore: My daughter is sleepy because of the medicine, follow me!

The nurse followed Salvatore in silence, understanding that he was not someone to argue with. The nurse checked Suki's injury under the serious look of her father. She told him that the stitches seemed good but that the little girl had to be careful while showering, to not let water touch the scar until it was cicatrized. She gave him something that Suki could use under the water to keep her arm dry.

Salvatore: Is it normal that she fell asleep so easily while eating?

Nurse: She is still under strong medication and, in fact, after a surgery, she should be at the hospital in observation.

Salvatore: That's why you are here. We prepared a room for you for the next 3 days; you were informed of everything!

Nurse: Yes, Sir of course. I will check on her every two hours as requested; I can even stay with her during the night if you want.

Salvatore: It will not be necessary; I will watch her during the night.

The nurse explained few more things to Salvatore before they left the little girl's room. The guard that was waiting downstairs took the nurse to one of the guestrooms of the ground floor. The boys had finished their dinner, and they were all in the living room, waiting for their father.

Gabriel: Everything is alright with Suki?

Salvatore: Yes, her wound is fine, and she is sleeping.

Dante: Now that the kid is not there to hear us, what will we do with Tanaka? Because I don't think that the grandpa' will accept easily that his favorite son died because of the illegitimate daughter of his illegitimate daughter... if you see what I mean...

Salvatore: His son chose his own destiny by attacking my children. If that old man wants to go back alive to his country, he shouldn't try anything against our family... or I'm going to send him meet his late son with my own hands!

Vito: I guess that you will not let your daughter leave that house until that matter is solved.

Salvatore: School is not important for now. She needs a complete recovery first, but I will not lock her in the house for weeks.

They exchanged around 20 minutes before Salvatore went back to his daughter's room. He stopped by the kitchen first to prepare himself a cup of coffee, then by his own bedroom to take his laptop.

He installed himself at the little girl's desk with a small table light, in case Suki woke up, so she would not be startle by his presence. He worked in silence for two hours before, as planned, the nurse showed up. She did her job then left. Suki didn't even react at her actions. Salvatore approached her, not reassured by his daughter's state, but she seemed sound asleep. A bit before 1.00am, Dante entered the bedroom.

Salvatore: Dante? Do you need something? You should go to rest too!

Dante: Just checking the kid's condition.

Salvatore: As you can see, she is sleeping quietly.

Dante: Isn't it weird that she doesn't wake up even with us talking next to her?

Salvatore: The nurse said that it's not anormal... but I'm just like you, worried that it is too much for her to handle...

Dante had his piercing gaze stuck on the little girl asleep face. She seemed so calm compared to few hours earlier, while she was crying, afraid for her life and his. But her calm didn't last long because the was having a nightmare. Now, the effects of the medicine were less strong, and it let her mind relive the events of the day.

Salvatore immediately held Suki's hand to notify her from his presence, to reassure her that she was not alone, that it was just a nightmare. His soft tone helped the little girl to wake up, with teary eyes, after calling for her mother and Dante several times.

Salvatore: It's alright, Sweetie, it's just a nightmare, you are safe!

Suki: Otô-san... Dante... he is hurt...

Salvatore: Silly girl... (He smiled.) Dante is just here, look at him by yourself, your brother is fine. (She looked behind her father's shoulder.)

Dante: You are obsessed with me, little girl... Dante, Dante... you only have my name in your mouth as soon as you wake up!

Suki: I was scared... it seemed so real...

Dante shook his head with a fake annoyed expression. Salvatore readjusted her blanket and delicately touched her head with affection.

Salvatore: Everyone is fine, safely at home, so don't worry and go back to sleep. I'm staying here the entire night to watch over you.

Suki: But... you don't have to; you need to sleep too!

Salvatore: Someone needs to keep an eye on you for 24 hours. I am your father; it is my job to do it.

Dante: If you don't want that old man watching you all night long... I can do it... but not sure that you will be able to sleep...

Salvatore: So, Dad is a better choice than that uncivilized guy, right? (She shyly smiled; a bit embarrassed.)

Dante: That's what I thought! Go back to sleep kid and stop dreaming about me! Unicorns are more appropriate at your age!

Dante made a salute sign with his hand and left, with a little smile. Suki looked at Dante's back, then at her father, who was also smiling. Salvatore sat back at the desk and few minutes later, Suki was asleep.

The night was short for Salvatore. He stayed up until very late in the middle of the night, and when he closed his eyes few minutes, he was awakened by Suki, having another nightmare. Even Gabriel, who had his room nearby, barged in her bedroom when he heard her yell. She apologized several times, despite her father and brother telling him that it was nothing and especially not her fault.

The nurse came at the same time. She proposed to give the little girl something that would help her to relax but Suki refused. Instead, she asked her for a painkiller pill because her arm was painful.

Gabriel didn't go back immediately to his bedroom. Knowing the distress that his little sister had to go through, he was not able to sleep. He went downstairs and served himself a double whisky and went to the garden, despite the fresh night, to light up a cigarette.

The young man was glad to have kill that man, but things were not solved for her, regarding her maternal grandfather or the trauma linked to what she witnessed earlier. Just the fact that she learnt who was responsible of her mother's death was shocking, her own uncle.

He lighted a second then a third cigarette before going back to his bedroom. He tried to fall asleep, but he barely slept 2 hours. After a refreshing shower, he stopped by Suki's bedroom and found his father half asleep.

Gabriel asked him to go rest a little, that he was himself already up and will watch after Suki until she wakes up. The young man used the argument that the little girl would feel guilty if her father was showing tiredness to have stay at her bedside the entire time, and it worked.

Thanks to his eldest son, Salvatore also slept for 2 hours, and it was enough for him. He had program an alarm at 9.00am and 20 minutes later, he was showered, dressed in a black suit and was waiting for his double black coffee to be ready.

Gianni and Dante, who were also morning persons, arrived from their usual jog. Weekdays or weekends, if possible, they had to go for a run. 

Dante: How is the kid? Did she have another nightmare?

Salvatore: Yes... some... she is sleeping, Gabriel is with her.

Gianni: The scared little kitten has difficulties to sleep?

Dante: A bit normal after someone tries to kill you, no? (He asked with a mocking tone.) Even more if that person is your maternal uncle who clearly spilled that he would kill you just like he killed your mother!

Salvatore: Yes, unfortunately, Suki will need time to forget everything... if she will even be able to...

Gianni: Few weeks ago, no one would have thought that she will be able to survive in this house, but she found her own way to do her place in that family... because no matter what we can say... she is now part of that family... even with those, of which I am part of, were against having her with us... all of this to say that she is a strong kid... (He smiled.) Surely, the Smith blood, running through her veins.

Salvatore felt recomforted and proud at his son's words. Yes, his daughter was a strong girl and with her family's help, she will overpass everything. She was the youngest and the only girl, but she succeeded in changing his tough and scary sons, despite that they rejected her at the beginning. Even with Vito and Davide, he noticed a change of behavior from them with Suki. They were less reluctant to her presence.

Salvatore: Thank you, Gianni...

Gianni: Hum... I'm just stating facts... don't think that I like her or whatever... she is still a problems' magnet, scared of everything and annoyingly kind... she doesn't fit us at all!

Salvatore: It gives her at least one common point to all of her brothers... problems' magnet... because you all caused or still cause problems by your behaviors... the list is very long!

Dante: I'm going to shower, I'm pretty sure that my name is not on your list... 

Dante left, quickly followed by Gianni who also needed a shower before having a call for the organization of the next fight of his MMA club.

Salvatore took few minutes to call his assistant to know what was going on with the head of the Tanaka family. He had his men monitoring them since Kenshiro Tanaka was killed. As no one survived from the Japanese Clan, the old man was probably looking for his son, except if he was aware of the attack. And in that case, Salvatore would hear news from him very soon. 

And Salvatore did get the information that Tanaka had found his son's dead body. But what shocked him, what that the old man didn't show any feelings, he kept his straight face in front of his men.

Salvatore asked his men to continue to monitor them and to call him immediately if something changed on their side. Then, he went back upstairs where he found Suki sitting on her bed, the nurse checking her vitals.

Gabriel was silently observing from the desk chair. When she was done, the nurse asked the two men to leave the room and she helped Suki to take a shower and dressed in comfortable clothes. The little girl couldn't refuse her help, as she promised last night to her father. Her hair were clean, and she let them unattached. When she was ready, Suki thanked respectfully the nurse and she joined her father and brother for breakfast.

They were done when the three youngest showed up. Enzo greeted Suki with a warm smile and a light pat on her head, while the two others only nodded to her... and it was already a huge evolution.

The day passed quietly. Suki stayed in the living room with her father and Enzo during the morning, then they had a quick lunch with the entire family before most of the brothers disappeared in the afternoon.

Suki was in a complete rest obligation, so she was only allowed to watch the TV or read a book. She loved to read but with the calm of the house, the tiredness due to the lack of activities and the medicine, she dozed most of the afternoon.

She didn't ask where her brothers all left, because it was usual for them to be absent on weekends, but she heard her father asking them to be particularly cautious outside. She understood that it was because of what happened the previous day and even if Dante had tried to reassure her about potential issue with the police, she needed to ask confirmation to her father.

Salvatore was not surprised when Suki questioned him. He would have preferred to not have that conversation now, but he didn't want to let her in the darkness, that will stress her. So, when they were alone, he answered with simple words to her interrogations.

In Suki's eyes, Salvatore could read worriedness and fear. Not about the fact that Gabriel had killed a man in front of her, because he did that so save her and her brother's lives, but the fear that something will happen to one of them.

So, even if he was reluctant, Salvatore had to tell her that the main business of the family implied to have people armed to protect them, to have agreements with the police and some politicians or even with other powerful families.

Suki: Is it what people call Mafia?

Salvatore: Yes... was it your mother that mention that to you?

Suki: No... but people at school said that about you and Vito... that our family... was dangerous and not one to have troubles with...

Salvatore: I can't deny some of their words. Our family is not dangerous for good people but if someone tries to do something to one of us, they have to face the consequences... and even more if it's toward you... I already told you, but you are the one and only daughter of the Smith family... a precious daughter and sister...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.5K 1K 20
Isabella Rose Ivy Valencia-Moretti, the only girl born in Italian Mafia family after so many generations. Not only she is the princess of Italian Maf...
304K 7.1K 29
This story really have a lot of grammar mistakes but I'll edit it as soon as possible. So, if you are a grammar freak.. DO NOT READ THIS STORY. A...
925K 19.8K 48
17 year old Adrianna Costello has been through hell and back. Now she is on top and feared along with her two best friends. The catch, no one knows w...
724K 16.9K 74
Book 1 of the ๐•ฑ๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–๐–™๐–ˆ๐–‘๐–š๐–‡ series {Duology} ๐–ค“ ๐”–๐”ฅ๐”ข ๐” ๐”ฌ๐”ซ๐”ฎ๐”ฒ๐”ข๐”ฏ๐”ข๐”ก ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ฏ ๐”ก๐”ข๐”ช๐”ฌ๐”ซ๐”ฐ ๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ก ๐”ด๐”ฌ๐”ฏ๐”ข ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ฏ ๐”ฐ๐” ๐”ž๐”ฏ๐”ฐ ๐”ฉ๐”ฆ๐”จ๐”ข...