I never asked for a second ch...

By dancingwrite

Qaya finds herself in the body of another person after she's killed by a friend. but the catch is she remembe... More

ONE: WHY AM I HERE
TWO: who am I?
THREE: I was right after all
FOUR: I was right after all (part II)
FIVE: There's no villain here
SIX: Darkness hides in light
Author's note
SEVEN: Justice is a dish best served with revenge
EIGHT: JUSTICE IS THE SIDE DISH...
NINE: (part 2) Justice is the side dish...
TEN:...Revenge is the main course
12: the mirror of the heart

11: Revenge is the main course II

0 0 0
By dancingwrite

Awin groaned. Everyone was awaiting his judgement.
"To be honest, I find this case exhausting" he declared "it's all over the place and I just realized that I am getting tired of presiding over these cases, I'll have to delegate to my aide eventually"

Everyone gasped but no one was in more shock and despair than Qaya, anytime he acted contrary to her estimation, she felt blindsided and immediately scared of his intentions. But truly Awin was tired, there was the court of justice presided over by the religious head of Easteforde, the purit* but everyone kept bringing disputes to the King's court; the sacred court of order. It was so annoying, despite being the one to steer the course of Sir Milton's life, his hands were tied.

"It's nonsense, really" he mumbled

"I will now give my judgement, seeing that Sir Milton has a strong alibi and there's no concrete proof to show that he indeed killed Qaya Wright, he is found innocent of the charge of murder and the court of order will grant him a consolation price of 500 Fordes** to apologize for his wrongful conviction"

Everyone cheered but he waved his hand signalling that they keep quiet.
"The best way to get to this matter is to find the real culprit"

Suddenly someone stood up "Arrest Melinda Charmale"
And this one statement triggered a whole crowd. Immediately everyone safe for the nobles and court officials were clamouring for Melinda's arrest.

The king signalled that they keep quiet and they held their peace
"When have I ever acted contrary to what is right? I am your king and I will not make reckless decisions as everyone has seen Ms. Charmale seems the most probable culprit but we once thought that about Sir Milton. It will be incredibly foolish for us to make the same mistake again. So I will take my time and personally head the investigation"

The people seemed placated, Awin was grateful he was able to reason with them.
"The court is dismissed"

The people started seeping out, eager to share the event's occurrences with their friends who did not come.
Qaya sighed, she was relieved. All she wanted since after she awoke from her coma was to bring Harbinger down and then live a peaceful and uneventful life. She hadn't fully succeeded but she was close.

"You look relieved" Rachel noted

"It's almost done" Qaya replied in bliss.

Rachel gave her a light slap on the back of her shoulder "do not say that, your training is just starting"

"Of course I know that" Qaya laughed "wait how long is it? I mean my training"

Rachel shrugged and began packing her things.
"You don't know how long my training is"

"It's not that, the directorate of Legal studies holds an induction examination every year, if you pass it, you get inducted into the profession as a junior officer and then if a reknowned teacher vouches for you, you'll be registered for the Barrister-Esq exam"

"The thing is you can do it all in your pace, some people do all this in five years, some just three and others ten, it all depends on you"

"When is the induction exam? I might be able to prepare and write it"

"It's ten months from now. The reason why a single examination can induct you into the profession is because it covers everything you need to know on legal studies and it culminatively takes twenty hours to write. If you're a genius, you'll be able to prepare and pass the exams well but I emphasize that you take your time. I won't have my student resit an examination."
Qaya nodded.
Her eyes suddenly caught Rivan leaving panicking. Qaya was certain that he wanted to see Melinda and he heart grew heavy for him because she knew he was pursuing the impossible.

***

Some days had  passed since The hearing and everyone was beginning to return to their normal lives, even the people that clamoured for Melinda's arrest now kept quiet.
Awin chuckled as his carriages drove into the Heris-Mariale compound. Qaya would be so shocked.

He'd given an impromptu news of his visit to the family yet, with the sight before him, it seemed they'd been awaiting his arrival or this was just how their house looked, befitting of a king. His stomach churned and he felt a slight bout of nervousness.

As he came down, no one from the family came to welcome him and he expressed his distaste at this quite audibly.
"I apologize, your majesty. The Lord of the house is not in the country at the moment and Lady Qaya was not made aware of your arrival. So I am here to stand in their place" this was Jaslin, her head was bowed as she waited the King's response "I hope you will deem your humble servant worthy of hosting you"

Awin inspected the small lady before him, trying hard to conceal his scowl.
"And  who exactly are you?"

"I am Jaslin Heris, the niece of the Lady of the house. My father is Gareth Heris"

"I am grateful, for I thought a lowly servant was sent to host me but I see that I was mistaken"

Jaslin straightened up and did not hide how offended she was by his comment

" are you not Qaya Heris's  lady in waiting, if I was to assume you were lower in standing, would I be at fault"

Jaslin smirked "but I am, your majesty. Aside from you, no one is above the Heris-Mariale family"

The king flinched. He knew what she meant and it annoyed him. She reminded him that the Heris-Mariale family was a respected family in the continent, they had power, the kind he should fear.

"Now that you mention it, I do not deem you fit for the business I have come for, I wish to speak to  a member of the Heris-Mariale family. Bring one to me or the whole family will have to express their power elsewhere"

Jaslin knew that he was trying to offend her but she didn't mind, she'd dealt him a blow that he was desperately trying to recover from, so she was content with just that.

"I will do as you asked" she bowed and left in a bright smile that made Awin uneasy.

"Your majesty, it's not advisable that you come to the house of someone who is planning to usurp your throne"

Awin turned to see Marie looking at him with contempt. She came down from the stairs, didn't even bother to bow and took her seat.

"I was informed that you were going to banish us, if a family member didn't come to greet you" she said in between snickers.

"It's been a while Ms. Heris-Mariale"

Marie rolled her eyes "why do you wish to see us?"

"No serious reason, just a king wanting to meet with one of his subjects"

Marie cringed. This was a very suffocating situation.
"What have you been up to these days?"

"Managing the estate and overseeing the business"

"It seems you no longer have any interest in overseeing the ministry of industry"

Marie shook her head "no your highness, I wish to protect my remaining dignity"

"You were such a competent official, and I really respected you. You just had to have conflicting beliefs"

"So that's why you had me framed by someone I took as my daughter?"

"I had no idea you were that close, you don't even mourn her unfair death. No one cares for that poor child. No one came to ask for her corpse to bury her, I was the one who handled her funeral rites" he remineced

"What?" This was a second voice, Qaya's.
She'd return home from her lesson with Rachel only for her to meet this man in her house and stating such an  off putting revelation.

"Young Ms. Heris-Mariale, you are home. To be honest, you are the one I yearned to see" he stood up and walked up to her.

"Now that I've seen you, I will take my leave" as he was about to leave, Qaya held him back.

"Tell me, what's your plan?"

"What?" He asked bewildered by her disposition

"At the bar, you said you had no intention of letting Sir Milton go out of prison, so I  can't help but worry that you'll do something..."

"Calm down" he gently loosened his hand from her grip "I believe your earlier statement was a joke or a badly put rhetorical question, as there's no way I'll willingly divulge them plan"

He turned to leave but stopped abruptly; letting out a exasperated sigh-she held onto him again "about Ms. Wright, you said you were the only one that performed her funeral rites... why's that?"

"Oh I am she has, but that's something I can only say in this house"

"Well...where did you see her? I mean which slave market did you..."

"Young Ms. Heris-Mariale, I'd like that you mind your language, Qaya was an orphan"

He then inched closer, pulling Qaya into a hug that frightened her "but it does worry me how you came about an information"

"You'd be surprised how much I know" she brazenly whispered back into his ear as they remained in the hug.

"I trust you to keep this secret for the deceased sake. Qaya...I mean Ms wright wanted more than anything to keep that a secret...but even that, even what she knows is false"

Qaya's breath hitched. Before she could inquire further Awin withdrew from the hug and walked away briskly leaving her behind with questions.

"...even what she knows is false"

"What did he mean by that? If I wasn't a orphan or an emancipated slave, who am I? And why don't I remember anything"

Author's note:
*The Purit is the highest title a religious man can attain and he is the general overseer of the religious activities of the Gainili; the major religion of Easteford.

Gainili is the only religion practiced in Easteford but about 40% of Eastefordians are not religious.

**50 Fordes is about 4 billion by this world's standards

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122 15 6
Ruby adopts a girl who is possessed by the spirit of someone she once knew and all that spirit wants is revenge. But on who? What happened to her? W...
402 13 7
Introduction: Iruma-chan had enough of her parents' abuse and decided to end life at the ripe age of 20. It was a good run but she can't handle the...
34.3K 971 130
"Death is too lenient if I am to pay you back for what you did to me. I won't kill you, instead, I will make you seek for death; a death you will nev...
57.2K 4.2K 7
When Charlotte is betrayed and killed by the friend she sacrificed everything for, she thought it was the end. Instead, she found herself reborn as a...