Just follow my lead

By LIMC46

At this school, they don't divide us into regular classes, as I initially thought. We have become factions, m... More

What will they call me
How do students communicate with each other?
Watanabe Norihito
Internet-sensei
Nishino Takeko
Club groups

So friends stick together?

443 36 35
By LIMC46

Now we have Sakagami-sensei. I can tell that his behavior is more like a normal teacher that I've heard about before. Chabashira-sensei has too strong a character in my opinion, and Hoshinomiya-sensei... Well, I would hardly call her a teacher at all.

In any case, something has changed now. Since Watanabe is now a member of my faction, our classes have become common, although the seating in the classroom is still not structured and is chosen by the school. I don't know why, but I still don't have the right to choose in this situation.

Moreover, I still don't know much here. This school is trying to seem normal, but I see that it is not so at all. Although, of course, I've never been to a normal school. I think it's better to ask the Senpai about what's going on soon. I wonder if I can go to the second and third floors of the building, right?

– Hi, do you have a minute or few?

– Mm? Well, yes?

– Then won't you join me?

– Okay?

I was distracted for a second when some pretty girl came up to me. She has a slightly stern look or even, rather, a cool one. But I have to say, her dark purple eyes are damn charming. Are the eyes really the window of the soul? I could believe it, because eyes are inherently works of art.

Watanabe, on the other hand, didn't notice that I was gone at all. He's more busy talking to the girls in the classroom. Is this the life of attractive guys?

Anyway, they seem to have decided that I'm a Follower, don't they? After all, today there were still no demonstrations in the middle of the class or just a show of hands. Our sensei wasn't interested in that kind of thing today, and that's a good thing. The other students also didn't seem to have a strong desire to know who was who, which was also a good thing.

On the other hand, it will be difficult for me to attract attention to myself as a Master. But there's something more important right now. I don't want to upset this beautiful girl, but I'm a Master. Although she might know about it, so she wants to talk to me alone. But to be honest, I don't remember seeing her before.

– Excuse me, but where are we going?

– To the roof.

Is it still possible to get up? Or is it only possible to go to the roof without stepping on the floors of sophomores and third-year students?

– Why??

– Just come on, I won't do anything to you, don't panic.

Did she notice my slight agitation? Impossible, who is this girl? No, I'm not panicking, I'm just a little worried about who's going to ask me to join their faction. Will it be some popular guy like that dude Hirata Yosuke, if I'm not mistaken? Or is it some girl who is looking for a boy who is not the cutest to compensate for the beauty in her group?

– Listen, can I get your name?

– Mm... Kamuro. You can call me that.

– I'm Ayanokoji Kiyotaka.

– Okay.

And after that it became a little awkward. This girl may be beautiful, but she doesn't even turn around in my direction. All I can see is her back, covered with long purple hair. She walks confidently and doesn't stop for a second, so I have to follow her.

Speaking of which, shouldn't the entrance to the roof be closed? I read not so long ago that Japan has a fairly high suicide rate among schoolchildren. Because of this, the government recommends closing the exits to the roof of educational institutions so that it is impossible to jump off from there. Otherwise, they can install a fence around the perimeter of the roof, but this one will take more money than if you just close access to the roof.

In any case, we soon went out onto the roof. It is quite spacious here, especially since the edges of the roof are fenced with a high fence of 2.5 or even 3 meters. There was also someone else on the roof, a little girl with a cane and a beret on her head. She looks unusual for the students of this school, although, of course, she is wearing the same school uniform. Is she from France?

– You did a great job, Kamuro-san. Here you go. As promised.

Although, apparently, she knows Japanese quite well. Well, I've already tried to remember French so we can talk. It looks like I don't need it at the moment.

– Yeah, thanks.

This girl handed her a small plastic food box in her hand. It's funny, I've heard about it. It's a bento, isn't it? I've always wanted to try something like this. I wish I could cook.

– I made this bento according to your tastes. I hope you enjoy it.

– Yeah.

After these burning words and such short answers, the girl who brought me here decided to leave the same way we came. Now it's just the two of us

– It's been a long time. Ça fait longtemps

I greeted this girl now, because we really haven't seen each other for a long time. When this day at school first started, I thought I just thought I was hallucinating, but it turned out that it wasn't like that.

– Fufu. Since you saythat, you must be Ayanokoji Kiyotaka-kun. J'ai raison?

Well, it looks like she knows French after all.

– That's right.

But her Japanese is even better, and she doesn't look like anyone from Europe. Anyway, I've met her before, but she's the only one of us who knows my name.

– However, I still don't know your name.

– Hm? You didn't care about such things before, as far as I remember.

She's right. At that time, I was only interested in getting out of the public eye as soon as possible. This school is a pretty good solution to my problems in this matter. However, at the moment I am relatively safe and can count on the fact that I have the opportunity to enjoy a peaceful life. New acquaintances may well become part of this, so I have nothing against other people.

– You're right. But right now I'm just a little bit interested.

– This is Sakayanagi Arisu. Or just Arisu if you want.

Lilac hair and slightly unfeeling purple eyes. Now I will definitely remember you like this, Sakayanagi Arisu.

– It's a pretty quick transition, although it's only the second time we've seen each other.

We switched to the first name so quickly. I wonder if she gives that permission to everyone? Or else... no, it's definitely not because of me. This girl probably allows other people a lot.

– Fufu.

– ??

Apparently, she likes to do this? These weird fufufu sounds like laughter, but to be honest, I doubt I'll be able to take it normally.

– This is our third meeting, I just didn't mention it last time.

– The third, you say..?

So we've met again? Even so, why did she remember it at all? I mean, since I don't remember this meeting, it means we didn't even talk to each other, didn't cross paths directly. There is only one meeting in my memory.

– That's right.

We met once when I was already free, but so far from the safety of this school. I remember this girl because I gave her a little help that time. She does not move easily, she is disabled. She seems to have a heart problem, as she mentioned. That time, a little over six months ago, she was hot, there was no water at hand, and even her hat was blown away by a headwind.

I just returned her hat to her and bought a bottle of water, nothing more than that. She asked me my name, but it didn't mean much to me. So I told her my name and wished her well. I didn't think I'd meet her at this school. But her words are still kind of weird.

– It was one-sided, so I understand your confusion. Perhaps it will become clearer if I name that place.

– That place? I only remember how we met at the marina. I can't remember anything else.

– Even earlier, look further into the past.

In my distant past, the days were very different. I spent almost 14 years in captivity, being a puppet. The probability that this girl of my age is at least slightly related to that time is almost zero. Is it possible that she was acquainted with my butler? If so, then in principle we could meet sometime, but it would be quite fast. Is that probably the reason? Although I'm not sure.

– I still don't understand.

– White Room.

– ...

Huh..?

– S-sorry, what did you say?

At that moment, something burst into my consciousness. It was the bright light of memories that engulfed me from the inside. It was quite cold, unpleasant, it causes bad chills. A feeling of extreme emptiness appeared in the lower abdomen, it seemed to me that I was almost ready to fall on the spot, my legs seemed to give way.

– I asked if you would like to meet tomorrow?

– ... is that all?

No, of course not. The flashback to that place couldn't have come on its own. I definitely heard a voice, her voice at that moment. She said it, she only said two words that I had heard many times before.

– Well, yes. Or did you want something else?

– No, it's... weren't you going to tell me where else we've seen each other before?

Please let it be just an auditory hallucination. I don't want to hear those words anymore, not here. My peaceful life has just managed to show itself in all its glory, I don't want to do something again that I am forced to do. I want to have my choice, I want to buy maple syrup, I want to try ice cream, I want to find out who Hornykoji is.

– It hardly makes sense. You said you don't remember anything like that. I don't think it matters much.

– That's how it is...

She grinned, or perhaps smiled. I didn't feel any bad intentions or unfriendly emotions coming from her, but I don't really like her half-smile. It even reminds me a little of Horikita, whom I met the day before yesterday, although, of course, the emotions are still completely different, and the conversation is much better and more productive now.

– So what do you say?

– About what?

What is she talking about? Did I miss something important while I was conducting my inner monologue? Although she's probably asking if we'll meet tomorrow or not. That's right, we're just discussing this topic.

– About meeting tomorrow.

– You know... what if I told you you had a creepy grin?

Contrary to my expectations, she laughed. It didn't feel like genuine joy, especially after my slightly painful words. Rather, it looks like this low girl finds my words funny for some reason.

– Fufufu. Then I guess my heart will break into a lot of little pieces.

– In that case, I didn't say anything.

– Fufu.

That creepy laugh again. Perhaps I'd better leave as soon as possible. But still, this girl wants to talk to me tomorrow, which is also important. Still, since she makes contact with me herself, it makes sense to respond in kind.

– Okay, I agree. Where can I find you tomorrow?

– We can exchange phone numbers. I'll call you.

Unbelievable. The girl's contact details. Am I really the main character of a romantic comedy film?? No, it's unlikely. If that were true, I could try to smash the fourth wall or whatever it's called. But I haven't seen anything like it, if you ask me. I could ask the readers about this, but they also have no idea where the fourthwall-chan is hiding.

– By the way, I have a question.

– Ask away.

She quickly let me talk and ask her anything. At the same time, she began to smile a little for real, which is not so scary anymore. But I have to say that the girls at this school are quite unpredictable and scary.

Even yesterday, I met that guy, Kito, after classes. He looked intimidating and a little menacing, but he seemed to be a normal guy. And Horikita and this Arisu look pretty good, but they're also very scary.

– Are You a Master?

– And what do you think?

She asked me what I thought about my own question, but I can't say anything definite. This girl, even in her partially capable state, causes some concerns, especially before she forced another girl to work for herself. Although maybe I can say that she bought her time for the meal. Well, I'd sell myself for food too if someone offered it to me.

– I can't tell you yet. But if you're a Follower, I wouldn't mind welcoming you to my faction.

So far, it is impossible to definitively say whether she is a Master or not, but, of course, the first option is most likely.

– Fufu. Are we that close already?

She grinned again, though a little kinder than before. Well, that's a good sign. Maybe, if I'm still wrong

– No. But I have nothing against it. Moreover, by the looks of it, you can cook.

– I'll make you a bento tomorrow if you want.

– Is that how it is? Then I will be very grateful.

I said goodbye to her, and we agreed that I would receive my food tomorrow. This girl decided to stay on the roof for now, because the lunch break is far from over. Great. I still don't know if she's a Follower or a Master, but I think I'll be able to find out soon.

– Hey. Hi again, Kamuro.

On the way down, I met the girl who took me to the roof. She was sitting on the steps of a flight of stairs and eating the bento she had received alone. I'm a little jealous of her, but I still have time, so I can go to the cafeteria. Although, the fact that she chose such a place to eat, especially alone, is a little strange and probably sad.

– Mmm...

She mumbled something unintelligible slightly and continued to chew the rice ball. I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous. Now she's dipping the next one in sweet and sour sauce. No, I can't be jealous, I can't be jealous.

– Kamuro, tell me, did she buy your time for food?

– Mm? She's a Master and shares food with me, so in a way you can say that.

So she's a Master after all. Well, it was much easier and faster than I expected.

– You mean she's your Master?

– Not really... although she's pretty insistent when it comes to talking about it.

– I see.

It's clear. So Arisu is actively gathering people. Or maybe she needs Kamuro for some reason. Well, if it can be bought for food, I think it's okay that it was considered useful.

– Would you like to join my faction? Since you're still free.

– And you too..? No.

It wasn't as harsh as Horikita does, but I still felt another emptiness in my heart. Damn, this school has really come up with the strangest system of student interaction. If no one wants to join other factions, then what is the point of all this?

– I see. I'm sorry to bother you. And enjoy your meal.

– Yup.

After that, I left. I think I'll ask Watanabe if he wants to eat with me in the cafeteria. Even if he put the girls above me earlier, I can't give up hope that everything will be normal sooner or later.

And then, upon returning to class, I noticed a girl with long black hair hiding among the crowd of students. My eyes caught hold of her ruby eyes almost immediately, and then she looked straight at me. A strange repulsive expression immediately appeared on her face, but I have to ignore it. Still, it's better to go say hello, because she's one of the few people I'm at least partially familiar with at this school.

– Yo, Horikita.

– Oh, my God...

I waved my hand in greeting, trying to show my friendliness, but she only lightly hit herself on the forehead with her open palm for some reason. Did she feel a mosquito there? Well, I think it's a little early for these insects to get the better of us. Anyway, it reminded me to stock up on mosquito repellent.

By the way... did she just call me God..??

– I've never considered myself a God, to be honest.

– Not you..! Wow, I already thought my day would end normally.

It looks like she's having a hard time. I wonder what has happened to her in recent days? I don't think she was able to join a faction or find friends, although of course I could be wrong.

– Has something happened?

– You happened.

– ... I don't understand..?

– ...

We fell silent. Horikita is boring into my soul with her beautiful scarlet eyes, so beautiful that I'm scared as hell. I can feel my heart starting to beat faster and send adrenaline all over my body, as if I'm going to have to either run or fight right now.

– How are these days going for you?

– It's fine.

Or I was wrong. Maybe she's doing well, at least it's acceptable to her. But if she is most likely not a member of the faction, then I could try to invite her to my place. But I need a plan, a workaround, because she will immediately refuse an ordinary invitation.

– Cool. Have you changed your mind about joining my faction?

– This is the first time I've heard you suggest such a thing.

To you? Yes. But this is how I offer it to everyone. So far, only one person has agreed to this, whom Sensei found for me, and not myself. Although Watanabe is gone now. I thought about asking him about going to lunch with me, but he had already disappeared from the classroom during the time that I went to the roof.

– Really? Are you sure?

– Absolutely.

Ha! Gotcha.

– It's wonderful. Now, welcome.

I opened my arms in a welcoming and demonstrative way to really thank her for this sacrifice. Thank you, Horikita, thanks to your shortsightedness, the number of people in my faction has just increased.

– What...?? Hey, I didn't agree to anything!

– But I just heard you said absolutely.

It's too late to back off, Horikita. You have nowhere to retreat, because I do not forgive betrayal. I don't buy ice cream, soda, or anything else to traitors.

– You know exactly what I was talking about.

– About joining my faction?

– No!

Okay, if she doesn't want to do that, I still can't force her. Well, the attempt was good anyway. If I'm more persistent, it might work one day. Or should I buy food for people? If I feed Horikita lunch, will she join me?

– Then I have no idea what you're talking about.

– Damn it... Why are you picking on me? What have I done to you?

That's a great question. Fortunately, you answered it yourself two days ago. If you hadn't spoken to me then, and several times, then I probably wouldn't have tried to find out your name, and events wouldn't have reached this point. If we're talking about a sequence of events, then it all starts with you.

– You were the first one to talk to me in class, remember? And then again and again.

– So what?

Really. And so what if she started talking to me before, even if it wasn't something good. Now it's my turn. But don't worry, Horikita, I was a demon before, but not now. I won't be too hard on you, unlike you yourself.

– Well, I thought you might need to communicate, but you just don't want to admit it.

We humans are social beings and we really need to communicate with each other or even with someone or something else. Some people need it more, others less, but we still need it. You can communicate via the Internet via chats and forums, you can participate in personal conversations or make public statements. There are even ways to say something without saying a word. This is such a progressive modern world, when people are provided for in communication quite strongly. The only thing missing is telepathy.

– Ha! If that were the case, I would have noticed. And since I don't feel anything like that, you're wrong.

– I see. Even so, can I ask you something?

She looked at me as if I was going to suggest something questionable. But I have no such thoughts, my thoughts are pure. I just want to continue what I've already started.

– ...I want to say no, but you're going to ask anyway, aren't you?

It seems that she is already able to predict some of my actions in advance. Great job, Horikita.

– Who knows?

– Oh, my God...

She often mentions God. Is she a believer or something? As far as I know, this school doesn't have a temple for worshipping Deities, so it's probably going to be a difficult three years for her. And with her character and unwillingness to be friends with anyone, she will probably spend all this time rather pathetically and sadly.

– Well? What do you want?

– Will you come to the cafeteria with me?

I made an offer that is difficult to refuse. Any high school student will be happy to eat at lunchtime. Of course, there are frequent cases when students have a bento with them, but still in an ordinary school this could be a frequent occurrence. However, the territory of this school is cut off from external influence. So there are no parents or older siblings here who could cook bento. In this case, students have to rely on their own strength. In this regard, Arisu surprised me.

– I refused.

– It was the day before yesterday. And now it's another day.

– Why do you have to be so pushy?

– Just because.

I can't tell her that my key asset is food. First, I'll buy her lunch today, and if everything goes well, maybe I'll do it again tomorrow or any other convenient day. Then Horikita will stop being the ice queen and melt right in front of my eyes because of the warm and delicious food.

– That's not the answer.

– I already mentioned once that I'm a little interested.

– It was about my name, I remember.

– Well, I'm also interested in many other things. Anyway, I'd like to make friends.

I also need acquaintances, friends, and faction members. In general, I have a lot of work to do. I only targeted Horikita because she spoke to me that time, otherwise I would have had no reason to do so. Moreover, if there is at least some progress with Horikita, I will be able to use the same tactics with other people. For example, Nishino, Kito, Kamuro. Okay, it's probably not going to be easy with the latter, since Arisu has already gone this way, but I'll try. Although in this case, I will most likely have to learn how to cook bento. It may take some time.

In any case, I'll call this tactic the food trap. Horikita, you will be the first one I use this strategy on.

– I don't want to be your friend.

All my organs are contracting painfully right inside me. This girl is really very prickly and cold. Is it possible that she belongs to cold-blooded animals? In that case, she could be a snake, and not a puffer fish, as I assumed earlier. Well, if there were animals made of ice, Horikita would clearly belong to them.

– They say that desire does not always determine the truth and the truth. Why not just try to at least chat with someone?

Nevertheless, the development of the social component is very important for us, schoolchildren. I want this for myself, because I have almost never had a chance to do something like this in my entire life. Horikita has her own circumstances, and her way of life was formed in a completely different way. But I'm sure she needs to communicate with someone too, otherwise she wouldn't have spoken to me on the first day of school.

– What do you think I'm doing now? We're just talking.

– That's right. And I would like to continue this conversation in the cafeteria, where you can fill your stomach. Or, even if you don't really want to talk, at least we can eat.

– ... No.

It looks like she's losing ground a little bit. It took her 0.68 seconds longer than usual to give her answer. If I try a little more, there is a chance that I will succeed.

– And if I say I'll pay for you?

– Tch... okay, fine. But you'll pay for everything I take. Did you get it?

Wow, okay, she gave up a little faster than I expected, but in return she set her own conditions. Well, I didn't spend much money, so it won't be that hard to treat a girl to lunch. Anyway, private points should be enough for a long time, especially at the end of the week we will receive another increase. It is wonderful.

Although I've been feeling so generous lately. I buy everything for everyone. Maybe I could start an investment agency? Or just pour money into helping the sick and destitute? And then I would persuade or force them to work for me when they get back on their feet in their business.

Damn, I'm a genius. I may have a future if they don't find me. I'll just have to leave Japan as soon as I've been here for three years. That's right, I think I should use the Internet and look for universities in Canada where I can study. Mm, it will be necessary to try maple syrup in its natural habitat.

– Yes. Just please don't buy everything.

Still, if Horikita decides to spend all my money, it won't be good at all. Of course, in that case she would have to order a lot of food. You probably won't be able to spend everything in one day, but you still have to be careful with this girl.

– I know the measure.

With that, Horikita got up from her seat, grunted and headed out of the classroom. I followed her. It was a successful battle, but the end of the war is still very far away.

I looked for Watanabe before leaving the classroom, but I didn't find him. Okay, now we have the same class schedule anyway, since we're in the same faction. Especially today, after school, we will be able to move into a new dormitory. Thanks, dude, even if you put girls above me, I'm grateful at least that you're in my faction.

In any case, lunch with Horikita did not go as well as we would have liked. She was still as withdrawn and didn't really want to talk this time. At first I thought about teasing her or trying to get her to talk, but she no longer wanted to pay attention to me. On the one hand, this is good, because I was not insulted several more times, as it might have been if she had continued to talk to me. On the other hand, I felt extremely uncomfortable, especially under her gaze.

Moreover, she took the book Crime and Punishment with her and read it while eating. Yeah, I could have distracted her from reading, or at least talked about this book, but I decided I'd rather do something like that another time. It's easy to see now that I've already achieved a sufficient level of attention from Horikita. It is better to act gradually.

After that awkward lunch, we returned to the classroom. Watanabe was already in his seat and waved his hand in my direction in greeting. Dude, if you only knew what I've been through in the last 15 minutes. Anyway, the second half of this school day started with Sakagami-sensei.

But when it was over, Watanabe and I went to another place, not where we went before. Now we have moved into a new hostel and our few belongings were supposed to be delivered there. Well, at least I don't have a lot of things, I can't say anything about my Follower.

From the outside, our new dorm looks a little bigger in its dimension, but there are fewer floors here. Moreover, it is much closer to the school building, but still far from the shopping center. The ground floor is divided into several sections. This is a hall with elevators and a relaxation or waiting area, a bath for boys, a bath for girls. Our room is on the fourth floor, numbered 401.

In fact, this place resembles a classic dojo. Well, at least with its doors leading to the common room for sleeping, where there are as many as 10 futons, five on each side of the hall. As it is, we have an extensive kitchen where three or even four people could cook at once, if not greedy. There are two toilets, but only one shower, which is somehow strange from the side of practicality. Although, this is probably due to the fact that there are small baths on the ground floor here, where, apparently, you can go if your faction is full of people. However, I have never been to such places.

But at least you can relax the way you want. Considering that there are only two of us here and there are no representatives of the other sex among us, we are completely free in our choice and it is unlikely that anyone will condemn us for anything.

– That's what I understand, freedom.

Freedom, right? Well, for me it is also freedom, although it is still not what can be called full-fledged freedom. For Watanabe, this is more like freedom from his past life, from family, from friends, perhaps even from himself. Well, basically, I can understand him to one degree or another.

– How do you feel when you see all this?

– Are you kidding? Obviously, I'm glad. There's a lot of space here. Even if there were more of us than there are now, it wouldn't cause us any problems.

And for me, it's freedom from the white walls around. I'm so glad that the walls in this dorm are cream-colored. This color is still as neutral and calm as white, but it shows me hope for some kind of future that is not set in stone.

– Well, if there were more of us, we would have to use the baths, because there is only one shower.

– It's a little hitch. Moreover, baths are cool.

That's how? Well, maybe it is. Still, I've never been there.

– Really?

– Are you serious now? Don't tell me you've never been there?

– No.

I shook my head slightly in different directions, thereby confirming my words with gestures. They say facial expressions and any body gestures are extremely important when communicating, especially among Italians. Of course, we are not in Italy, but it would be useful to know more about it.

– Pfft... well, of course you're weird.

– ...

I'm offended. Maybe he asked Hoshinomiya-sensei for help because other groups just rejected him? In this case, our situation may change a little.

– Ayanokoji?

– What's it?

– You're not offended, are you? Well, I mean, sometimes I can say too much. Well, you know.

Hm? Did he realize pretty quickly that he had said something unpleasant? I don't think my expression changed to tell him that. Most likely, he thought about it himself for some reason.

– No, I have no idea.

– Mm... well... I don't know.

– I'm not offended.

Although my soul has split into many small pieces, I'm still fine. No matter what's inside me, there's been so much empty space for a long time that I can't remember the last time I had any regrets at all. The main thing is what I have on the outside, my body, and how people see me.

In any case, we had to lay out the food delivered from our rooms in the kitchen. Watanabe and I didn't have much with us. He filled our empty, spacious new kitchen with several packs of quickly brewed noodles, and I filled it with fruits, individual vegetables and pies. No full-fledged food, just snacks and snacks, but that's how we live. And we have a full lunch in the cafeteria.

Well, I'm quite happy with this dorm. Even if my faction gets bigger, it's unlikely to be crowded here. Most likely, everything will be fine.

Hola! Pls do me a favor. You know, my drawing skill level is a little higher than terrible, I think. Please give me a tip, who should I draw from COTE characters? At least you can give me some motivation and direction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.8K 1.7K 9
My name is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. There are many of those who claim to understand who I am... What I am. None of them do. Not even me. Worry not, thou...
24.7K 424 8
You may have heard of CotE casts having to watch their world, you may have also heard of other casts react to CotE. But have you heard of two differe...
Riptide By V

Teen Fiction

314K 8K 114
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
6.6K 199 4
More short stories and oneshots with our boy Kiyopon for you