The Mukherjee Family

By soniyaawrites

"All I wanted was your respect, Prem." "All I wanted was your love, Abhi." "All I wanted was your care, Rahul... More

Author
Characters Aesthetics
Character Aesthetics
Tropes
Family Introduction
1
2
3
4
5
Instagram
6
7
8
Author
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26

22

2.4K 172 10
By soniyaawrites

Would be great if you guys could comment and vote for all the chapters as it encourages me to update faster! Feel free to voice your opinions and thoughts as constructive criticism is appreciated here:) Happy reading!
Thank youuu<3
🥹🫶🏼
.
.
.
.

"Maa," Prem called out for his mom while standing at the bill counter in the dhaba.

"Kya hein," his mom came and stood beside him and ate some fennel seeds that were on the counter.

"Mera card aapke ke paas hein kya?" He asked his mother as Meera was nowhere to be seen.

"Yes, Meera went to the restroom and gave it to me while leaving," she handed over the card to him and leaned on the counter.

"So, do you have any updates on my second son's marriage," though she tried to take the situation lightly, everyone knew she was deeply saddened by their news.

"Haa, I know that they're going to give each other some time. Baaki dekhna padega," his answer gave some relief to the tensed woman and she made her way into the car still overthinking. 

Everyone had a full meal at the dhaba and rested for a while before starting their journey again.

They had travelled about two hundred kilometres before deciding to stop for lunch.

"Chalo, we still have half way to go." Their father announced while settling in his car.

All of them got into their respective vehicles and resumed their ride.

~~~~~

While Abhi and Leher were sitting in the same car before, now Leher was forced to sit in the passenger seat by her mother-in-law.

Leher felt awkward but Abhi saw it as a chance to get closer to his wife.

"Abhi-"
"Leher-"

They said at the same time.

"You continue," Abhi patiently waited for her to resume what she was saying.

"I was thinking, maybe I could drive half the way. You need some rest badly."

"Nahi, you take some rest. I'll wake you up if I feel tired, hmm?" He told her as calm as possible.

Leher just nodded her head and turned back to tell her in-laws to sleep for some time but they were already in their dream land.

She chuckled to herself and took her phone to click their picture.

Maa was leaning on her husband's shoulder with her hand wrapped around his and her leg over his leg.

Curious about what Leher was doing, Abhi turned back too.

He was awestruck at the sight of his parents still being freshly in love.

He turned back to his intial position and smiled.

"They look cute, don't they?" Abhi said catching Leher's attention.

"Yeah, they do" a soft smile made its way to Leher's lips.

She turned around and kept her phone back her purse and looked outside.

I wish I was a tree. She thought to herself, thinking how peaceful being a tree would be.

Lekin mein single marjathi. The stupid thought saddened her.

Koi nahi, mein Abhi ko mere saath ped banaungi. She smiled to herself at that thought and gave her 'treeself' comfort.

Abhi had called her three times till now but she was too busy imagining her life as a tree.

Feeling a presence near her, Leher turned to her right slowly only to see her husband's face two inches away from her face.

Her breath was stuck in her throat while he froze in his position forgetting he was driving a car.

Leher's eyes slowly went up to his hair that she always dreamt of combing with her fingers and later saw his deep brown eyes.

His eyes held something that she couldn't describe and wanted to avoid.

While Leher was busy admiring him, Abhi was busy looking at the beauty mark below her lips.

Why did I never notice that? He thought to himself and scanned the rest of her face.

Her wheatish skin shined under the sunlight while her dark brown eyes turned light brown under it.

"Beautiful," he accidentally said it out as a whisper.

"K-kya?" Leher managed to say those words even though she heard them alright, making Abhi come out of his trance. 

"Nothing, nothing," panic was evident in his voice as he distanced himself from her.

"I was just adjusting the rear view mirror as you were not answering," he explained his reason for being so close.

Leher pressed her lips together and nodded her head.

~~~~~~

Almost two hours later, no word was said after that incident. Abhi's whole focus was on the road and Leher was busy imagining her life as different non living things.

"Abhi," she called him in a sleepy voice.

"Hmm?"

"How far is it now?"

"Sirf two hours more and we'll be there." He glanced at her sleepy figure and looked back the road.

"Oh, I'll drive now then," she was ready to remove her seatbelt but Abhi held her hand to stop her actions.

"Have you looked at yourself? You are so sleepy. Sleep now and it's only two hours. I can manage." He replied looking at her state.

She hummed as a response while Abhi tried to continue the conversation.

"Waise, it's been two years since I visited my village. I'll show you around if you want," he rubbed her palm that he didn't let go without his knowledge.

He waited for her to respond and turned to the side to see his wife peacefully sleeping.

He saw his intertwined fingers with his wife. A strange feeling hit him.

I've never held her hand like this. He thought to himself while unconsciously holding her hand tighter.

He had never held any woman's hand romantically after his late girlfriend's death and never expected him to have this feeling again.

"I made you suffer a lot, didn't I?" He spoke to himself as everyone was fast asleep.

"I had let you down because of my problem," he sighed and looked at the steering wheel wanting to punch it but didn't want to let go off his wife's hand.

"I tried to move on. I swear I did. I didn't want to spoil someone's life because of my suffering but I guess I did. I did hurt you a lot." He looked at her again to take a clearer view of her now closed eyes.

"The first day of our marriage, I wanted to tell you to get lost and get all my anger out at you but you were our family friend so I didn't have the guts to," he sadly smiled and looked back at the road.

"But I was brave enough to tell you that we'd divorce after some time. Dumb me, right?" He said air quoting the word.

"I want to finally let go of my past now, Leher. I want you to be the woman that I cherish for my whole life. It might sound impossible to the newly married Abhi but now I believe that I can change." He convinced his mind and was positive about it.

"Aakriti was my first love but she left for a better place. I want to find my better place too. It's not selfish, right?" He asked her knowing she couldn't reply.

"It will be awkward in the start, Leher but please let me continue my tries. I want to just find the right way to get you and the way I can find love in your heart." His other hand let go of the steering to wipe his misty eyes.

"Promise to let me win you. I promise to treat you right. I promise to be there for. I'll always be the reason for your happy tears and I'll never let you down. Please promise to help me. I'm ready for your help now. Please help me, Leher," all his emotions poured out at once.

The emotions that he couldn't tell Leher while facing her.

He didn't expect an answer as she was in a deep slumber but wanted assurance.

Leher, who Abhi thought was asleep, slowly lifted her pinky finger with her right hand which was intertwined with Abhi's left hand.

Her finger was raised as a sign of securing their promise and never breaking it but Abhi was shocked at her gesture.

A shocked Abhi looked back from her pinky to her closed eyes as he thought she wasn't listening to him.

"Are you awake?" A soft whisper left his mouth as he felt embarrassed.

She didn't reply but still kept her finger in the same position.

He untangled their fingers and locked his pinky finger with hers.

Leher turned her head towards the window with her eyes still closed trying to act like she was still asleep and suppressed a bright smile. 

Abhi let out an embarrassed smile and diverted his attention to the road, with their fingers still locked tight together.

Promise secured, Leher. A relief spread through him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

354K 7.7K 45
"Mom, I don't know what the heck I'm doing... I'm going to marry my sister's fiancรฉ," I said, tears streaming down my face. "We can't do anything, be...
6.5M 306K 58
โ™š ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฏ๐ž๐ž๐ซ ๐’๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ก ๐‘๐š๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ซ๐ž โ™› ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฏ๐ฒ๐š ๐€๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ฅ โ‹‡โœฆโ‹‡ "๐™๐™š๐™ข๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง ๐™จ...
11K 1.4K 10
PRERNA MATHUR is a beautiful and successful businesswoman, but the shallow world has reduced her existence to just looks and richness. Being the only...
87.8K 5.3K 40
Aakhi Love gorgeous things. Bookworm. Polite. Obsessed with romantic noble. Beautiful. Brown eyes. Loves colour red. Live in her fantasy. Happy. M...