Fireflies in Daylight

By kumekendeng

More

Fireflies in Daylight
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
"Joey"
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 6

3.9K 60 23
By kumekendeng

After an hour or so of art lessons, the kids were tired and hungry.   While Joey helped distribute the food packs containing fried chicken, rice, and salad, Adrian took out his guitar and rendered several Jason Mraz hits for their young audience.  As the kids feasted on their simple fare, Joey watched and listened.   Adrian's soothing voice filled the room as his long fingers deftly plucked the guitar strings.  It was always amazing to watch a professional performing live and today was no exception.   Adrian was clearly in his element.  Music was his lifeblood.

"You did great.", Joey remarked as she and Adrian sat down to eat.  She wondered where her uncle and his two students disappeared to, but she was too hungry to investigate.

"Thanks.", Adrian replied, rubbing his tummy.  He, too, was famished.

"Dig in."  Joey handed him his food pack and they both buckled down to the business at hand.

Adrian let out a loud burp as Joey disposed of the food containers.   She smiled to herself, recalling how her brothers would try to outdo each other at the dinner table.   Whoever could burp the loudest and the longest would win, and she, the youngest and only girl, was the judge.  Jeremy, the second from the eldest and the heaviest among them, would often win.  Joey sighed, suddenly missing her brothers.

"Hey Joey, why don't you show me around?"   Adrian interrupted her reverie.

She nodded, setting aside her melancholy.  "Sure."

Behind the main building was a huge lawn with slides and swings for the younger kids and a makeshift basketball court for the older ones.  Dozens of kids were now scattered on the playground, some almost colliding with Adrian and Joey as they crossed the field to sit on the bench under the huge mango tree.

Joey closed her eyes, savoring the cool breeze on her skin while listening intently to the rustling leaves above them.   Adrian watched her, wondering what she doing.  Just then, a little girl ran up to them, pieces of paper in hand.

"Ate...Kuya...for you."  She gave Joey and Adrian each a piece of paper folded in half.  Adrian unfolded his.   It was a crude drawing of a young man wearing a yellow t-shirt and holding a guitar. Below the drawing were the words 'Kuya Adrian'.  He smiled at the little girl.  It was then he noticed she had malformed hands.  She had only three fingers on one hand and two on the other.

"Did you make this?", he asked the little girl.  She nodded shyly.  He was impressed and completely moved.  "You're so good.  Do you know that?  Thank you for this drawing."  He learned that her name was Wendy and that she was nine years old.  And that she was left there when she was a mere toddler. All this time, Joey was quiet.  She merely gave Wendy a tight hug and whispered 'Thank you' in her ear.  The little girl gave them a big smile before running off to rejoin her playmates.

Joey stared at Wendy's drawing, blinking back the tears . It was a young woman in a yellow t-shirt, her hair flowing over her shoulders and a paintbrush in her hand.  This simple token of appreciation from a child, like Wendy, malformed hands and all, was enough to melt her heart.

"Hey, don't you start crying. You're making me cry."  Adrian teased.

"You're crazy!"   Joey smiled.

They both fell silent, watching the kids at play.

"I just can't imagine how it feels like..."  Adrian glanced at her, breaking the silence.  "...to be abandoned and left here."  Joey gazed at his sober profile as he went on.  "When my parents separated, I thought that was the worst that could happen to anyone.....but seeing these kids....I'm still lucky."

"I have an idea how it feels like."

Adrian turned to her, puzzled.  "How?"

"My mom."  Joey hesitated.  "She left us when I was fourteen."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

It was exactly two weeks after her fourteenth birthday.  Julian, her eldest brother, woke her up that summer morning.

"Mama's leaving.", he said.

"Where's she going?", she asked.  Kuya Julian said nothing and just left her alone in her room.

She found her mom and her brothers in the living room, sitting quietly.   Her dad was out, probably at work.   Joey immediately sensed that something was wrong.  It was summer vacation, and by this time every morning, her brothers would be out of the house, playing basketball or biking around the neighborhood.  She looked at her mom who was staring at the floor, her shoulder-length hair falling in soft waves around her cheeks.  Then she noticed her mom's tears.

"Mama, what's wrong?"

Everything after that happened so fast.

She remembered her mom hugging her tight, enveloping her with that comforting baby powder scent. Her mom always smelled of baby powder.  But at that moment, Joey was far from comforted.   Her mom was crying and saying 'Sorry' over and over again.  She promised she'd call and write.  But she wasn't sure she'd come back.

"Why Mama, why?"

She said that she couldn't take it anymore.  She could no longer bear staying with Papa.   The fights just went on and on.   She was no longer happy.

"Mama, please take me with you."

She said she couldn't.  Wherever she was going, she had to go alone.  She promised to call.  She kept saying 'Sorry'.  But she wasn't sure she'd come back.

"Mama, please don't go."

Joey remembered hugging her mom tight, refusing to let her go.

But her mom left anyway.

Joey remembered running after the taxi that took her mom away.  She ran and ran, blinded by tears. Kuya Julian was calling to her to come back.   But she didn't stop.

That was when she ran into the dog that bit her.

Joey remembered that the doctor who injected the anti-rabies smelled of baby powder.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The heavens opened as they set for home.  Adrian drove more slowly while keeping an eye on the black pickup truck ahead of him.  Joey sat quietly beside him, drowsily watching the raindrops beat against her window.  Both of them had neither the energy nor the inclination to talk. It was just as well, Adrian thought.  After what Joey had revealed about her past, he was still in a mild shock.  He never would have thought that she had gone through so much sadness.  But he sensed that there was so much more to her story.  Why did she live far away from her dad and her brothers?

The rain eased up to a drizzle as they were halfway through.  Adrian glanced at his passenger.  Her eyes were half-closed, her head still turned to the window, lost in her own world.  By all appearances, she looked alright.   That was just it.  She looked okay – at least, on the surface.  But underneath that cool demeanor and that apparent aloofness were scars of a painful past.  And she had given him a glimpse into that past.

Adrian felt honored, to say the least.  They had only known each other for a few weeks and yet Joey entrusted him with such sensitive facts about her life.  He wondered what he had done right to merit such a privilege.

They were nearing the art studio when Joey broke the silence.  "Did you have a good time, Adrian?"

"What do you mean?"  He turned to her, puzzled at her query.

"You've forgotten already?  You said you wanted to make the most of every experience here.   So, did you have a good time?  Was it worth it?"

He nodded.   For a moment, he had completely forgotten about their deal.   "Let's just say, it was an eye-opener.... in a lot of ways."

Her face turned serious for a split-second before turning jovial.  "Okay, first installment paid, two to go."

Adrian smiled in wonder at her.  There he was, still trying to absorb the day's revelations while she was back to her normal self.  The wall around her, though not as impenetrable as he thought, was up again.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The next Monday, Adrian could hardly wait for his piano classes to finish.  Ched had told him that Joey was absent because of an attempted robbery at the art studio.  The details weren't clear but Joey promised to call as soon as the dust settled.  Realizing that he didn't have Joey's number, he asked Ched who willingly gave it to him.  He sent a quick message to Joey asking how she was before facing his students.

As his last student for the day left, there was still no reply from Joey.   Worried and unable to bear the suspense, he hurried to the art studio.  As expected, there was a police car parked in front and dozens of curious bystanders and neighbors milling around the place.   Adrian went to get a closer look.   The glass window to the right of the main door was shattered.  Bits of broken glass were scattered underneath the window.  From the gaping hole, he could clearly see the interior window grills untouched by the culprits.

He approached the main door but a police officer barred his way.  "Sir, no one is allowed in."

"But Officer, I know the owner."

"I'm sorry, sir.  That's the rule."   The officer did not budge.

"Adrian!"  Paglaom suddenly appeared from behind the door.  "I've been waiting for you all day."  He turned to the officer.  "Sir, this is my nephew.  I specifically asked him to come over."

Adrian understood what Paglaom was trying to do and willingly played along.  "I came as fast as I could, Uncle."

"He's your nephew, sir?"  The police officer eyed Adrian suspiciously.

"Can't you see the resemblance?"  Before the police officer could question him any further, Paglaom pulled Adrian by the arm and led him inside where there were a couple of policemen with a few barangay officials.

"Sir, what happened?"   Adrian kept his voice low while his eyes scanned the area for a sign of Joey.

"Why are we back to 'sir'?   I was already 'uncle' a while ago."  Adrian smiled sheepishly as Paglaom went on.  "Anyway, when we woke up this morning, there was shattered glass everywhere.   Luckily, we have these iron grills.  Unluckily though, there are no witnesses, no suspects."

"Sir---Uncle, at least you're okay.  Uhm, is Joey here?"

Paglaom pointed to the kitchen's direction.  "Why don't you keep her company?  I still need to talk to these guys."  He then left Adrian to join the group of policemen and barangay officials.

Joey was busy on her phone while attending to lunch when Adrian entered the kitchen.  She gestured to him to take a seat at the dining table.  He watched her as she took a final whiff of her concoction on the stove while talking to some glass supplier about a delivery.

"Hi.", she uttered as she ended the call and took a seat across him.   Adrian noted with concern that she looked tired.

"You okay? ...What happened?"

Joey took a deep breath and for the nth time that morning, narrated how she was awakened early by a muffled crashing sound but thought nothing of it and so she went back to sleep.  Her uncle discovered the damage as he went down for coffee.   Paglaom soon joined them at the table after everyone else had left.  He insisted that Adrian stay for lunch which Joey took as her cue to set the table.

While feasting on Joey's tasty beef stew, the trio discussed the morning's events and their ramifications.  Adrian suggested that they reinforce the iron grills and have an alarm system set up just in case the thieves return.  Paglaom agreed, making a mental note to attend to it right after lunch. That settled, Joey and her uncle launched into a quiet argument, apparently a continuation of an earlier debate which did not concern Adrian.

"Joey, we need to decide. What will it be?"

"Uncle, no need.  I'll be okay."

Paglaom was shaking his head.   "No, no....I can't allow it.   Let me call them."

"Uncle, please.  You know that's not possible.  Besides, they're too busy."

"Joey, I have no choice."

"Uncle Laom, I'll be okay...don't worry."

Adrian hunched over his food, feeling out of place and debating with himself whether or not to leave his meal unfinished to let them argue in private.  Suddenly, both his hosts fell silent.   He looked up to see Paglaom staring at him and then at his niece.  Meanwhile, Joey was staring at him and then at her uncle.

Adrian glanced from one to the other, completely at a loss.

"No."  Joey glowered at her uncle.

"Yes."  Paglaom gave her a stern look.

Adrian scratched his head as both pairs of eyes turned to him.  "What?"

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Joey glared at her uncle, as he explained the situation to Adrian.

"You see, I have to leave for Cagayan de Oro in three days and I'll be gone for two weeks.  I need—"

"Uncle, I'll be okay."  Joey butt in, disliking where the conversation was heading.

Paglaom gave her a pointed look and turned to Adrian.   "As I was saying, I need someone to look after her while I'm away."

"I'm a big girl, Uncle.  I can take care of myself.....besides, Manuel's just next door."

"Manuel can only look after the place during the day.  What happens at night?  You're all alone here. What if the thieves come back?"

"They're not coming back."

"You don't know that.   You choose.....I'll call one of your brothers."

Joey rose to her feet and folded her arms across her chest, annoyed at her uncle.   But having one of her brothers here would mean leading her dad right to her doorstep.  And she wasn't prepared for that.  "They're busy.", she countered.

Paglaom was not backing down.   "Adrian then."

"Uncle, I don't want to impose on Adrian.   Besides, he's busy, too."  She turned to Adrian to get him on her side.  "You are busy, right?"

Up to this point, Adrian was an amused spectator to their heated exchange.   At last, someone remembered that he was right there.  He addressed his hosts with all seriousness.  "Joey, it's okay.  I'm not that busy.  And Uncle Laom, I'll be honored to babysit your niece."

"Babysit?!"   Joey now had her hands on her hips.   What did he think of her?!  And what's with the 'Uncle' thing?  What happened to 'Sir'?

"Joey, relax.....please sit down."   Paglaom paused as his niece reluctantly returned to her seat.   "Hear me out, okay?  You leave me no choice.  If you don't want me to get a heart attack worrying about you, then please say yes.  I need to be sure that you'll be safe here."

Joey sulked in her chair, saying nothing.   She knew that her uncle was right but she resented not having any other option.

Paglaom turned to her would-be babysitter.  "Adrian, I know I can trust you.  Luis and Ning have been telling me about you... but you have to give me your word.  You do know what I mean."

Adrian nodded with all sincerity, fully aware that this was not to taken lightly.  "Uncle, I promise I'll be a perfect gentleman.  And I promise to guard her with my life."

The two men looked at her, awaiting her stamp of approval.  Joey let out a heavy sigh, annoyed at being overruled.  She knew that Adrian could be trusted.  But the idea of sharing the house with him for two weeks made her feel uneasy.  Maybe if she thought of it as having her half-Japanese cousin, Kenji, over for a visit, that would make it easier.  Anyway, they were both chinky-eyed.  Maybe that would work.

She shrugged.  "Okay, fine.   But I'm not a baby.....I don't need babysitting."  She glared at Adrian.

"Sorry, wrong choice of words."  Of course, Adrian would never think of her as a baby.   Far from it.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Paglaom left on Thursday morning after making sure that all repairs were done and all additional security measures were in place, including the new alarm system.   Joey went to school fidgety and distracted which Ched immediately noticed.  After some hesitation, Joey told her best friend about the temporary arrangement but not without making her promise to keep it a secret.   The only other person who knew of it was Lily who almost peed in her pants at the idea.  It didn't help Joey's nerves that Ched shared Lily's excitement.

"Sis!   This is your chance!"  Ched whispered from her desk in the faculty room.

"Chance?....for what?"   Joey whispered back.

"This might be your chance to finally snag a boyfriend.  Just the two of you in one house...you know."

"Back down Mercedes.  There's no such thing."

Ched rolled her eyes.   "Yeah right!  That's how it always starts.   Anyway, I'm off to my class....and your bodyguard's here."  She pointed with her lips to the door.  Adrian had just entered the room and had a tentative smile for Joey.

She steadied her breath, puzzled at her feelings of anxiety.  What's the big deal?  It would be just like having Kenji around, she had to remind herself.   Except that Kenji was shorter and chubbier.

"Hi, Josephine."  Adrian suddenly appeared before her, making her jump.

"H-hi."

"Are you going home now?  I can drop you off."

"Not yet....I have to stay behind.   There's a meeting with the other Math teachers."  She lied.  "You go ahead."

Adrian nodded.  "Okay, I have to walk the dog and pack my things anyway.  I'll just go to your place around 6.  Okay?  See you."

"Uhm, Adrian ... I have something for you."  She handed him a sheet of bond paper folded in half.

"What's this?"

"House rules.  Read and absorb.  If you have objections, we'll talk later."

"No prob."  And he was out the door.

"See you."  Joey muttered after him, noting that he suddenly seemed to be in a hurry.

Taking longer than usual strides to his car, Adrian tried to shake off the jitters, not far removed from how he felt before a performance.  He recalled starting to feel this way since Paglaom's phone call that morning to remind him to take care of Joey – as if he needed reminding.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

HOUSE RULES (Effective immediately)

1) UTMOST SECRECY

Nobody else except us, Uncle Laom, Lily, Auntie Ning, Uncle Luis, and Ched should know about this arrangement.

2) RESPECT FOR PRIVACY

The guest room on the third floor is all yours.  But the bathroom is all mine.  You can use the bathroom on the second floor.   Please keep your nose to your designated room/s and possessions and I'll keep my nose to mine.  Exceptions to this rule would be emergencies.   God forbid that either of us slip inside the bathroom and need saving by the other.

3) DECENCY AT ALL TIMES

There will be no walking around the house in your underwear or with a mere towel around your waist. Not even after a bath.  A little cussing or some green jokes, I can tolerate – but there's always a limit. And, there will be no bringing home of female dates for 'sleepovers'.

4) SELF-SERVICE LAUNDRY

The washing machine is fully automatic and using it is a no-brainer.   I will help where I can but there is no way I will touch/wash your briefs, boxers, and smelly socks.

5) SHARED HOUSEHOLD CHORES

I don't care if you have an army of household help at your place.  Please do your share.  We'll discuss the specifics later.

6) "CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS."

You wouldn't face your audience without taking a bath or brushing your teeth, would you?  Please extend me the same courtesy.

And last, but not the least:

7) "A PROMISE IS A PROMISE."

You made two promises to my uncle.  Never mind the second one – I need no guarding, especially with your life.  But the first one is not to be broken – if you value your life, that is.  No need to elaborate.

Signed: Josephine Y. Vazquez

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23 0 17
This is a coming of age story regarding a young man who has had a rough outlook on life. You will need to read it for more. I wrote this while in col...
13.9K 574 14
π‘‡β„Žπ‘–π‘  π‘π‘œπ‘œπ‘˜ 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘œπ‘›π‘›π‘’π‘π‘‘π‘’π‘‘ π‘‘π‘œ πΏπ‘œπ‘£π‘’ π‘†π‘‘π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘˜ 𝑏𝑒𝑑 π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘‘π‘œπ‘›'𝑑 π‘›π‘’π‘π‘’π‘ π‘ π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘–π‘™π‘¦ β„Žπ‘Žπ‘£π‘’ π‘‘π‘œ π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘Žπ‘‘ 𝑖𝑑! πΏπ‘œοΏ½...