Chapter 12

"Are you serious?", Joey blurted out after realizing what Adrian had just confessed.   He gave her look of disappointment and disbelief.

"Do I look like I'm joking?", he said.   Having regained her composure, she pulled her hands out of his grasp and regarded him coolly.   Though he looked sincere enough, she wanted to make sure this wasn't one of his antics.  Knowing him, she couldn't be too sure.

"Are you?"

"Of course not."   He creased his brows in a plea.  "Joey, I never joke about these things."

She weighed his answer, studying his face closely.  He had these puppy-dog eyes that were half-pleading, half-hoping.  Okay, so he was telling the truth.  But what was she to say?  This was happening so fast, she could neither make heads nor tails of her thoughts.  This was all new to her. Several guys, including Eduardo, had made attempts to woo her but she never gave any of them the time of day.  She had nothing more than friendship to offer to all of them.  But with Adrian, it was different.  There was a spark --- a spark strong enough to send warm currents through her spine when he held her hand.  And how could she forget that kiss?  It certainly made an impression on her, and how!  But then, she had to be certain this was not merely a whim that could fade the next day.  She had to be sure of her feelings.

"Adrian.......I don't know..."

A look of worry flashed across his face.  "But....you're not rejecting me?"

"Maybe.", she answered shyly.

"You're not sure that you're not rejecting me?"

"No. I mean,....if I didn't like you, I wouldn't let you within three feet of me."  She peered at him through her eyelashes, trying not to squirm.  "Much less hold my hand."

"You didn't put up much resistance.", he said gently, his lips curling into a smile.   She blushed from his remark and more from his piercing gaze.

"You should go home.   It's late.", she said, rising to her feet to hide her face.

Reluctantly, he stood up and stepped closer to her.   "Alright.......but, I meant everything I said. Okay?"

"Okay."  She nodded shyly, not knowing what else to say.

"So, uhm......I have to leave early tomorrow.  I'll call you when I reach Manila, okay?", he said.

She nodded.   "Okay, take care."

"I love you, Joey.", he whispered.

"Good night, Adrian.", she replied, trying not to melt.

And as they parted at the door, they both knew that they had crossed that point of no return.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

It was Tuesday night when Paglaom approached his niece in the Kenji Room while she rested from painting.  She was seated on the futon, checking her phone for messages and smiling as she read Adrian's latest.   'Thinking of you..' was what he sent.  That was besides the phone call after dinner as well as the nightly phone calls since the night he confessed his feelings for her.  Plus, there was the dozen roses he brought when he arrived early afternoon on Sunday and the cookies he left on her desk on Monday.   Paglaom loudly cleared his throat to catch her attention.

"Adrian talked to me this morning.....did he tell you?", he said.

Joey arched her brows in surprise.  "He did, Uncle?"