𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐑 ❧ S.HEIZOU

By iicomet

SHIKANOIN HEIZOU X GN!READER ❝ᵀʰᵃᵗ ʷᵃˢ...ᵗᵒᵒ ᶜˡᵒˢᵉ.❞ They whispered, flustered. Removing the hands from their... More

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐑
001.
002.
003.
004.
005.
006.

007.

15 1 0
By iicomet

 007, UNDER THE RAIN.

"Let's just hope that the rain doesn't wash the clues away..."

"Why think about work when you can dance in the rain with me?"

━━▲━━

  "...And you should be good to go, sir. Remember to come back in a month for your check up." The doctor reminded, one hand scribbling down indecipherable notes in the clipboard he held in his other hand, before pushing up the glasses that hung above the bridge of his nose. The scent of disinfectant and medicine plagued his senses, the quiet buzzing of the light hanging above them both echoing through the quiet office.

  Shikanoin Heizou nodded, thanking the doctor as he walked out of the room, his left hand supported by the splint provided by the hospital. The corridors were packed with people, each concerned over their own worries, each busy with their own responsibilities. The detective sighed, eyes glancing at the prominent injury on his wrist, a frown etched on his face as he was reminded of the obstruction to his own duties, a clear obstacle to his daily life.

  'It's fine,' he thought. As a detective, he trusted his intuition to guide him, and there was really no need for his strength if he just needed his mind. If anything, this would only be a new challenge for him to conquer, and it won't be anything difficult if it's him; after all, he's Shikanoin Heizou, the best detective in the Tenryou Commision, and perhaps even the world. So, if he were to use brute force to handle his cases, wouldn't that mean he had already lost?

  He hummed in satisfaction as the thoughts in his head continued, before he was bumped in the shoulder, a soft 'sorry' coming out from the stranger's mouth. Heizou would've brushed it off if it was a normal occurrence—the hospital was crowded, after all— but his intuition rang in his ears, alerting him of the familiar presence. Yet when he turned around to find the person, they were gone, leaving only an unsettling feeling in his chest.

  '...Why does it feel like a headache is coming...?' Heizou grimaced, but decided to leave it as it is, knowing that he wouldn't be able to catch up to the stranger no matter what. The feeling was worrisome, but for some reason, he knew that it wouldn't spell disaster for someone else. Perhaps he was just anxious, especially after consuming so much caffeine his heart had begun to work abnormally.

  Curious, he ponders. Why was the hospital so crowded today, anyways?

  Listening to the whispered voices from around him, the detective had picked up several words, his brain automatically processing the information and deciphering from the clues. It seemed that an officer from Liyue had been transferred to Inazuma's hospital, so his comrades had decided to come visit their old friend here in the nation of eternity, wishing for his quick recovery. Silently, Heizou passed on his own prayers to this unknown general, thanking him for his services and wishing the safe recovery of the two government workers; himself and the stranger. A silent solace found in two overworked civil servants perhaps, he had mused.

  When he left the hospital, the looming clouds began its tearful spread, drops of rain falling from the sky and hydrating the lands. Knowing he hadn't brought an umbrella, thinking that it wouldn't rain, Heizou decided to remain underneath the shelter of the hospital roof, watching the rain silently and observing the people as a pastime.

  That man over there, the one leaving the hospital doors, his posture was a little down, and his eyes were slightly drowsy, the stain on his shirt seemingly from a spilled cup of coffee. Had he been staying up at the hospital, visiting someone? Heizou recalled the man standing by a room, anxiously pacing across the corridors and eyes continuously glancing at the light above the room. The fabric on his shoulder was slightly crumpled, perhaps from someone's hand. He deduced that the man was told to go home to rest by a friend or relative, and although reluctant, the man had agreed.

  That child, clinging onto their mother's shirt with a bright smile on their face— Heizou thinks that they were finally released from the hospital, the paper around their wrist a clear indicator of their stay, and the relieved faces the evidence of their dischargement from the facility. Had it been stuffy in there, waiting for this day to come? It seemed as if even the gloomy weather failed to dampen the mood of this sun, as the detective could feel the warmth from the small interaction between the family members.

  That woman, standing by the door, watching the rain with a frown...That young boy, running into the hospital with a wet umbrella, worry etched on his face...That elderly couple... All types of people came in and out of the glass doors, each carrying their own experiences and worries. Some were sobbing, some were happy, yet all of them carried the scent of life on them— the resilience of humanity to continue living on despite the pains that had been endured.

  It brought a sense of comfort to Heizou, knowing that these people were still alive and moving on from each chapter of their lives.

  As time went on, the rain never ceased to stop, only growing heavier as the day continued. He debated on running out into the rain and braving through it like he used to, but he didn't feel like being soaked today, especially since he had just gotten a splint; a cold on top of that would only make things worse for him. The detective could only sigh as his eyes drifted to the sky, silently wishing the clouds away; his uninjured hand reaching out and catching the fallen drops before him, his eyes slowly shutting as he enjoyed the sensation of water against his palm.

  Yet instead of the cold seeping into his skin, Heizou felt warmth against it, confusion opening his eyes to determine the source—only to find a pair of eyes staring right back at him, chin softly placed on top of his palm, a familiar smile on their face as they hummed.

  "...What? Wasn't I supposed to do this?" Name chuckled, raising their head as they pulled up the medical mask on their face, obscuring their identity underneath their umbrella. Heizou blinked, wanting to say something, but before he could, Name tilted the umbrella towards him, inviting him under the panels.

  "You've been standing here for quite some time, detective. Do you need an umbrella? I can escort you home." They said, voice awfully soft today. Their usually cheerful demeanor seemed a bit more mellowed today, and Heizou wondered if it was the weather that affected the shift in their mood. Maybe he would've told them about their supposed arrest, scolded them about their recent crimes before cuffing them up as usual, but Heizou couldn't find himself doing any of that, staring at them, hoping to decipher the heaviness in his chest.. Was it sympathy? For a criminal? He would've scoffed at that. Someone like Name, someone who had hurt people, were they really deserving of such feelings?

  "What are you doing here?" He asked, turning his gaze away from their covered face and opting to look at their outfit today. They were wearing something simple, nice enough to be presentable, but common enough to look normal and not stand out amongst the crowd; something they desperately needed as a criminal with a high bounty. "You don't look like you need to be healed."

  "Really? Maybe I'm just really good at hiding it." Name grinned, leaning down slightly, forcing Heizou's attention back to their expression. The softness is gone, replaced with their usual playful attitude, but the detective could still feel something was off; maybe it was because of his intuition, or maybe it was because of how long he had spent with this outlaw. "I'm here to see someone."

  There. There was that softness again, before it disappeared completely, Name's attention drifting from the crowd of people outside the hospital to the injury on Heizou's wrist, that grip on their umbrella tightening slightly.

  "Wh-"

  "I fell down a flight of stairs." He blurted out, wondering why he wanted to explain himself to the indirect cause of his injury. "I didn't notice where I was going from the lack of sleep, and accidentally fell down the stairs."

  Name raised an eyebrow, scanning him to check for any other injuries. When they realized that it was only his wrist, they heaved a breath of relief. If their favorite detective were to disappear and go out of commision, who would make their life interesting? Name didn't think their life would be fun enough without him, and the worry in their heart was merely out of their own interests—That was what they had convinced themselves of.

  "Be more careful next time, detective." Name chuckled, their free hand reaching out to wipe away the drop of rain on Heizou's cheek. Had it gotten there when he closed his eyes earlier? He didn't seem to realize it at all, just like how he didn't seem to realize Name's presence until he opened his eyes. "Get some more sleep when you get home. The weather is perfect for a nap, no?"

  Name turned around, their head turning back to glance at Heizou, a silent gesture for him to follow them under their umbrella. He followed suit, reminding himself to be alert. Perhaps he could use this opportunity to learn more about them, and when they least expect it, he can finally put them behind bars they cannot escape from. Information is key when it comes to cases, and every single part counts.

  "It's not easy to sleep when there's criminals like you out and about, you know." He retorts, even though he knows that he'd probably hit the hay the moment he was given the opportunity to. It would've been easy for him, to finally experience the dreams awaiting for him in his slumber; yet the excitement of cracking this case called Name burned his veins and fueled his blood, he couldn't help but find himself staying awake to go after this enigma.

  Name only huffed out a small laughter, tilting the umbrella slightly so it leans towards Heizou more. "I'm sorry, detective. I promise I'll be good for these few days, as long as you get to sleep."

  Perhaps his unconvinced expression was too obvious, because Name laughed once more, raising their pinkie and looking at him expectantly. He only stared it in return, wondering what antics this felon had in mind.

  "I really promise I'll be quiet. Just go to bed without worries for now."

  And even though he would never believe the words of a liar, he hooked his pinky with theirs, releasing it immediately once Name's face brightened up, blinding his eyes and forcing him to turn away.

  "I'm glad you trust me, detective."

  He huffed. "I don't."

  "Sure."

  The walk continued to be silent, the symphony of pitter patters and splashing underneath their shoes playing the concert of enemies under a singular protection, each having their own sides, each having their own clashing views of justice, dancing against each other in the stage of the system of law. Only one will remain the victor in the end, for the coin flips and lands on only one side— burying the other underneath the undecided winner.

  "Name."

  "Hm?"

  Questions upon questions filled his mind. Why did they become a criminal? What were their motives? What was their past, their true face hidden underneath the pile of facades that they had carefully crafted, their heart that remained buried behind the layers of walls they had built for their own sake? What was the reason for everything? And most importantly, who truly are they? The Name who still had a last name, the Name who lived before the choices they made, the Name that did not thrive underneath the injustice of society. Who is Name?

  But for some reason, he couldn't seem to find the words to ask any of his questions, the tip of his tongue writing words of air in between his teeth.

  "...Nevermind."

  He says, just on time for the rain to stop. Slowly moving the umbrella, Name turned around to shake the drops off the panels, closing it once they deemed it was dry enough. The both of them were currently near the Tenryou Commission, and Heizou didn't realize how far they had walked underneath the rain when the journey had felt so short.

  "You wouldn't want me following you to your home, right, detective?" Name pouted, obviously saddened by the fact. Their reaction was dramatized, acting like a kicked puppy when they knew full well that entering his home without his permission would be literal breaking and entering, another entry to their long list of crimes if it wasn't already registered before. It's not like the detective would ever invite his greatest rival to his own abode, right?

  "At least you know that. Maybe if you finally turn over a new leaf, I'll consider inviting you over for a tea."

  "Really? I'll see you next week, then?"

  "I said I'll consider, not I will."

  "Same thing."

  "You're insufferable. At least knock if you try to break in."

  "Not break in! You invited me."

  He could already feel the headache coming. Perhaps this was what his previous premonition in the hospital was about. Name, seeing his annoyed expression, laughed once more, tapping their umbrella on the ground as they took a few steps back.

  "Take care of yourself, detective. I'll really come by if I hear that you aren't."

  "Just go away already before I change my mind on arresting you here right now."

  Another chuckle, before the criminal ran away with a smile on their face, the detective sighing as the sunlight warmed his heart.

━━▲━━

Written on: 11 april 2024.

(2335 words)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 451 15
"I took his chin in my hands and examined his soft lips. To think that just a moment ago I was flustered at the mere sight of him; it seemed far away...
21.2K 647 29
Y/n is a traveling scholar studying in the detective's field. They were sent to work with a professional detective as an assistant for 2 months. Howe...
126K 5.2K 25
- "𝑷𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒐𝒏." - "𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒇 𝑰 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐?" [DISCLAIMER] all pictures and characters don't bel...
83.6K 2.6K 31
❝ 𝙷𝙴 𝙲𝙰𝙽 𝙽𝙴𝚅𝙴𝚁 𝙷𝙾𝙻𝙳 𝚈𝙾𝚄 𝙻𝙸𝙺𝙴 𝙸 𝙳𝙾 ❞ ╰┈➤𝙸𝙽 𝚆𝙷𝙸𝙲𝙷 the Tenryou Commission's detective falls for his childhood best friend...